Crowds a concern

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a lot of different type of audiences. The older/elderly for example, do not want anything to do with online and technology. It is a big barrier for them to try to use and understand. It’s not about being lazy for a lot of type of audiences. Let alone the chance that you could still get covid.
And some people didn't want to change to decimal currency either.

Technology isn't new, people are at retirement age now who began their working careers programming computers. If you cant be bothered learning because you dont want anything to do with it, you're lazy.

Sure, but the issue is if you are thinking about going and then see the only GA tickets are the back rows of the Olympic then it is very easy to think why bother going
Yep it's been a shambles. One game I logged on later in the week I think it was against Melbourne and there were no general reserved at all, cheapest was $55 in the pocket and then later on they released more $27 tickets at the back of level 4 Ponsford. A lot of people wouldn't have bothered seeing those options, luckily I already had mine for free on level 1. Then on game day there are thousands of empty seats on level 1 at each end that they could have sold for $27 or let GA members sit in for free - instead they are up in nosebleed or at home.

You're at work 24/7 are you?

You're being pretty unreasonable in this thread. I'm in a job where I can log on at 10am on the dot when AFL membership tickets go on sale and I'm tech savvy enough to find the seats I want. Many people aren't able to log on during the day and by the time they do they're being offered seats in the nosebleeds when games are running at under 50% capacity. I log on and reserve seats for myself, my kids, my parents, my brother and sister, my uncle and cousin. If I didn't do it its unlikely any of them would be going as they don't have the time to do it when tickets go on sale or the system is too difficult for them to figure out or by the time they try to reserve seats there's only nosebleeds available.

This is one factor yet there are a multitude of them that are impacting the crowds other than people just being dumb or lazy. Even those with reserved seat memberships who can now use their own seats. While they no longer have to go through ticketing agencies to reserve tickets they can't just scan in with their membership card like they used to. You have to obtain your e-ticket through a club app (is my understanding) and many people have had trouble accessing their tickets as the email they use to login to the app doesn't align with the email the club has on their membership account. Others are saying that whike they have reserved seat memberships they generally go with groups of people who may be GA or have GA memberships and they now don't have the option of sitting with those people without paying for an extra GA ticket on top of their membership. Then there is the fact the ticketing websites corral you towards paying for ticket upgrades rather than taking you to the "free" reserved ticket you should be able to obtain with your membership.

This is without taking into consideration things like people's unwillingness to sit in large crowds or use public transport due to covid.

The way to bring crowds back isn't to ridicule or demean people for explaining why they may not be going. It is to listen to the concerns and rectify the issues. The AFL and ticketing agencies seem to be completely unwilling to do this so it's no wonder people feel as though they are being taken for granted.

Daughter not interested in going to the G as the kids zone at gate 6 isn’t allowed due to COVID restrictions.. why this is classified as a risk is beyond me, but it’s these types of decisions and inflexibility that impact attendance for families

I hate that kids zone, glad it's gone! It's the spot where we always had a kick before the game and at half time and this year we've been able to again. 😁

You're being pretty unreasonable in this thread. I'm in a job where I can log on at 10am on the dot when AFL membership tickets go on sale and I'm tech savvy enough to find the seats I want. Many people aren't able to log on during the day and by the time they do they're being offered seats in the nosebleeds when games are running at under 50% capacity. I log on and reserve seats for myself, my kids, my parents, my brother and sister, my uncle and cousin. If I didn't do it its unlikely any of them would be going as they don't have the time to do it when tickets go on sale or the system is too difficult for them to figure out or by the time they try to reserve seats there's only nosebleeds available.

This is one factor yet there are a multitude of them that are impacting the crowds other than people just being dumb or lazy. Even those with reserved seat memberships who can now use their own seats. While they no longer have to go through ticketing agencies to reserve tickets they can't just scan in with their membership card like they used to. You have to obtain your e-ticket through a club app (is my understanding) and many people have had trouble accessing their tickets as the email they use to login to the app doesn't align with the email the club has on their membership account. Others are saying that whike they have reserved seat memberships they generally go with groups of people who may be GA or have GA memberships and they now don't have the option of sitting with those people without paying for an extra GA ticket on top of their membership. Then there is the fact the ticketing websites corral you towards paying for ticket upgrades rather than taking you to the "free" reserved ticket you should be able to obtain with your membership.

This is without taking into consideration things like people's unwillingness to sit in large crowds or use public transport due to covid.

The way to bring crowds back isn't to ridicule or demean people for explaining why they may not be going. It is to listen to the concerns and rectify the issues. The AFL and ticketing agencies seem to be completely unwilling to do this so it's no wonder people feel as though they are being taken for granted.
so like literally every single other event that ever happens then?

And some people didn't want to change to decimal currency either.

Technology isn't new, people are at retirement age now who began their working careers programming computers. If you cant be bothered learning because you dont want anything to do with it, you're lazy.

Sure but people are lazy. Every extra step you make someone go through you increase the chances that they won't go through with it.

boo hoo. if thats stopping you from going then you dont really want to go

Cool - maybe I don't really want to go then. When I normally would go. And if there are many people in the same boat then maybe the crowds will be down. I wonder if that's a major concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cool - maybe I don't really want to go then. When I normally would go. And if there are many people in the same boat then maybe the crowds will be down. I wonder if that's a major concern.
meh, im not interested in listening to the whigefest of sooky lalas who are so lazy that they cant be bothered spending 15 minutes pre-booking their tickets (even though they probably have to spend the same time lining up to buy in person anyway), especially since the only reason they have to is because of the pandemic we are still going through.

and im not interested in hearing how old people cbf learning how to use computers. theyre not new, anyone who is currently 75 would have been introduced to computers in their 40s and has had 30 years to learn. They just dont want to because they dont want to change or learn new things, because theyre lazy and stubborn. Yet they claim my generation is lazy.

meh, im not interested in listening to the whigefest of sooky lalas who are so lazy that they cant be bothered spending 15 minutes pre-booking their tickets (even though they probably have to spend the same time lining up to buy in person anyway), especially since the only reason they have to is because of the pandemic we are still going through.

and im not interested in hearing how old people cbf learning how to use computers. theyre not new, anyone who is currently 75 would have been introduced to computers in their 40s and has had 30 years to learn. They just dont want to because they dont want to change or learn new things, because theyre lazy and stubborn. Yet they claim my generation is lazy.

Well this is a thread for discussing that crowds have dropped this season, and what may be the reasons.

Perhaps if you want to talk about what a legend you are you could start a thread about yourself.

In a decade we've gone from delayed games and satellite dishes to every game live streamed for a decent price. Coronavirus has sped up people realising attending in person isn't as important or necessary as it used to be.

Be interested or disinterested in what you like - crowds are down, people are suggesting that perhaps removing some of the unnecessary steps that are involved in trying to go the football these days will help. How hard is that to understand?

Without really reading this thread I can say that in my experience I have no real desire to go to the footy at the moment.

Before covid I lived like an hour from the city and would drive in most weeks. Now I've moved to the other side of town and driving is a bit more of a hassle and with covid and anxiety I actively avoid public transport where possible - even though it is relatively easy to jump on a train where I live now.

The other thing is definitely ticketing. Pre-covid I was a reserved seat member but have now downgraded to a general admin member. If I want to go to the footy now it's a spur of the moment decision on the morning of the game. I might try go with a friend and have a beer before the game and wander over and either find a half decent seat or go standing room. I assume there is no standing room these days?

Obviously with ticketing at the moment it's a hassle and unless you're really organised it's just a pain.

Be interested or disinterested in what you like - crowds are down, people are suggesting that perhaps removing some of the unnecessary steps that are involved in trying to go the football these days will help. How hard is that to understand?
why is pre-booking a ticket an unnecessary or in some way hindering step though? crowds are down almost 25%. are you saying 1 in 4 people are so lazy and uncommitted to watching the footy that they cant be bothered pre-booking a ticket online, like they have to do with pretty much every other event? Or like they have to do for a lot of marquee games already, which still get big crowds?

im not interested in listening to the 'its too hard' sooks, partially because theyre just lazy so idgaf about them, but also its also likely a very small minority of the people not going.

dont go out much? pretty much every event (sport, music, theatre, comedy show etc) requires online booking and even if they do offer walk up tickets, theyre never actually available.

I've been going to the footy as I mentioned so these barriers aren't an issue for me personally.

But when you're looking at reduced crowds these multiple barriers that are in the way are reasons why people aren't going. You can berate them as dumb or lazy if you want but that's not going to bring the crowds back. The only thing that will is removing some of these barriers people are facing.

Footy is a different beast to other entertainment because it's a regular recurring event. People may go online to get tickets to a gig or whatever as a one off but they're not going to have to do it every Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday during the middle of the day especially when the system once you're in isn't straight forward either. If you're going to show at Rod Laver you would log in, select which band of tickets you want and book them in. With this you have people having to log in each week during the middle of the day, enter membership barcodes, being unable to find their allocated area (being pushed towards "upgrades" up to $60 a seat), having difficulty booking for larger groups or coordinating them that early in the week to begin with etc

why is pre-booking a ticket an unnecessary or in some way hindering step though? crowds are down almost 25%. are you saying 1 in 4 people are so lazy and uncommitted to watching the footy that they cant be bothered pre-booking a ticket online, like they have to do with pretty much every other event? Or like they have to do for a lot of marquee games already, which still get big crowds?

im not interested in listening to the 'its too hard' sooks, partially because theyre just lazy so idgaf about them, but also its also likely a very small minority of the people not going.

FWIW of the Richmond home games I've only missed the GWS one due to bus replacements - so the question of why it's a hindering step is not one I can answer.

What I can answer is based on the crowd figures and the responses in this thread and elsewhere, it is a hindering step.

This has probably already been addressed before on this thread so sorry in advance if it has, but pretty simply I can see 3 easy reasons why crowds have been down in crowd attendances this year and might be for future years to come IMO:

1. Global COVID-19 Pandemic- Even though the global pandemic of COVID-19 hasn't affected our country as much as it has in other countries such as USA, Brazil & India, the casual supporters ain't wanting to get exposed still to high-risk areas with large gatherings of people. Hopefully by 2022, the general population of Australia is at least vaccinated and go back to living life again as normal however people might be reluctant still as a result and as a result, crowd attendances might be down for quite a while as a result.

2. Stadium Ticketing & Food/Drink Cost- I don't really know if it has always been expensive, but while I was ordering tickets for me and a couple of mates for the Crows match this weekend against the Demons, I was shocked to learn how expensive tickets have become in general like getting tickets in the Eastern Inner Bowl at Adelaide Oval for example cost $90 per ticket for 4 adults 🤯, let alone how much expensive food/drink is at Adelaide Oval also. Like I understand clubs need more money to survive as a result of the COVID-19 soft cap reduction but if I had a family with 2-3 kids, why would I want to spend over $400-500 to go watch the match at the stadium live and eat out there, where we could pretty much watch the match on FTA or Kayo with the close up vision of the game at all times and unlimited food in the fridge/cupboards for less then a fraction of the price, let alone the kids can do other things if they are bored watching the game (Play Station 5, Xbox One, Netflix, TikTok).

3. State of the Game/Umpiring- I know this point might cause some discussion so to speak, but I feel like the sport of Australian Rules Football has been in decline for the past 10-15 years at the highest level with the constant rule changes on-field and off-field ruining the fabric of the game that I first loved as a kid 15 years ago. As well as that, the umpiring has been the worse it has ever been in the history of the sport but the blame has to come on the AFLHQ for making the rules nearly impossible to understand these days such as HTB. Also with the recent talk for the media wanting to shorten quarters and all that in the future, it feels like the AFL are shooting themselves in the foot with only caring about the financial side of the sport, and as a result crowd participation might decrease as the sport becomes unrecognisable to what it first was. Like who would watch a match of AFL of 16-18 minute quarters for $100 per ticket :rolleyes:

I think the main overall statement to conclude those three reasons for why crowds are lower then usually can be described in that "the current generation of kids (0-18) don't obsess over going to the footy live these days compared to previous generations have been accounted to in the past" and as a result, they find other activities that are easier and have shorter time spans with them.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back