Crown: Melbourne Poker Championships

Remove this Banner Ad

Came somwhere between 110th-100th out of 450. Went out with blinds at 800/1600. Overall the structure sucked and turned into a turbo, shove or fold tourney from quite early. Played really well all day and went into 800/1600 with a stack of 40k. Average was 14k at that stage so was sitting pretty. The two hands that undid it all for me though.

Early position, table was ridiculously tight. Raise to $4k with A9ss. SB calls. Flop 558 rainbow, we check it through. Turn 7, he leads out $4,600. I think for quite a while, about 2 minutes and decide to raise, my mistake here was not raising enough. Only made it $11k total. He thinks for 30 seconds before shoving all in for $35k total. I fold and he shows AJ. Just outplayed, and partially my own fault for not raising enough on the turn, so wasn't that angry.

A few hands later I have $15,800 total in the BB with AJos. Early position raiser makes it $4k and blinds were about to go up in like 2 minutes and didn't want to be blinded out, would rather take the gamble with AJ. Shove all in and he thinks for a while and eventually calls with 66, was very happy not to be dominated here. Was the first time all tourney my stack was at risk, surprisingly the first coin flip as well.

Flop: 8 10 Q. Turn: 10, I think i'm about 40% from here. Any 8, 9, Queen, Jack or Ace. River's the typical 2c. Was pissed. Best i've played for a while though, looking forward to a big sleep tonight as I was probably too excited for my first real live tourney and didn't get to sleep until 6am. Going to play the 10am tourney tomorrow, if I bust then the Main Event qualifier and the 7pm tourney, can't be bothered with Uni. Looking to play just about every event now. :)

How'd everyone else go? r+b/mdc did you guys play in it?

Not a bad hand Cartman, like you said, you shold have bet harder. I had the same problem.

Lost 75% of my stack because I didn't bet hard enough early.

Lasted 2 hours which was almost 2 hours longer than I expected. If you didn't catch hands early you were in trouble. Raise ATo from LP, no callers. Raise AQo in MP, UTG calls. Flop all rags, he checks. I suspect he is ahead with a pair, may have flopped a set, I check behind. 3 on the turn, he checks. I bet 1/2 pot, he calls. I miss the river, he checks, I check. He turned a set :rolleyes:. My bad, he would have called a c-bet cos he had a pair and a gutshot, so I lost the absolute minimum.

BB with JTss, new guy pushes, it's just me and him, I call the extra 550. He has K6o, flop Q99, but his King high wins. Bit later I get red Aces in the SB, push, blinds and limper fold, really wasn't that much more to call. Black Queens very next hand, MP raises, I push, he calls. I say "They're the same colour!" He says the same, and shows AKhh. I ask for two hearts with the Qh, and bam, Qh in the window, with a King and a rag. Once I saw the heart on the turn I knew I was cooked, and yep, rag heart on the river, see ya later.

Just never got going, I kept my starting stack for 2 orbits, but once I lost that first hand, I was in trouble.

Was eliminated just before the first break A7 vs 22 (was done to 3bb).

Hands of note.

• (25/50) Triple barreled bluffed the very first hand as I put opponent on a draw with 9 high board.
  • (25/50) QQ on the 2nd hand, raised to 150 3 callers. Flop was KT5 with 2 diamonds, I do a CB for 400 trying to represent the AK, get 1 caller. Turn is a repeat T check/check, river is 8d. I check he bets 1000 I fold knowing I only beat a bluff. (was more worried about repeat T than flush) I flash the QQ and he says it was a good fold.
  • (25/50) QQ a few hand later against same opponent. I raise he 3 bets I 4 bet (after checking his stack size he was down 2500) all-in he calls with JJ it holds. Pretty standard for this buyin and structure.
  • (50/100) Limp with 77, LP raises to 225(?) I call. Flop comes 782 all diamonds. I check he bets 150 I raise to 600 he moves all in for about 1800 I call he had KJdd, I fill up on turn with a repeat 8.
  • (50/100) EP(Loose) raises to 300 2 callers I have JJ on button I 3 bet to 1800(with a stack of about 9K) get 1 caller a LAG(not initial raiser stack about 8K) who has played hands like K4o & 108o OOP. Flop is 776 with 2 spades. He string bets 100, I raise to 1500 (bet sizing does not matter with him dont think he considers it at all), he shoves. I eventually fold but the more I think about it I think had 88-1010/flush draw. Spooked myself in to believing he would call a 3 bet OOP with a 7.
  • (100/200) Down to 4500 in CO with AKo and I 3 bet allin a MP raise of 600. He snaps with AA, I dont improve and am crippled. Then out a few hands later when I find a A
So quite an entertaining 2 hours, thought I played OK with the exception of what I now think was an awful fold from above.

Have to start work @7AM this week not sure of my next tourney, probably the bounty on Wednesday night.

I hear that the $250 Main Event satellite on Saturday generated 47 seats.

That's 235-239 satellite entries.

Maybe I would have had more luck there.

Early position, table was ridiculously tight. Raise to $4k with A9ss. SB calls. Flop 558 rainbow, we check it through. Turn 7, he leads out $4,600. I think for quite a while, about 2 minutes and decide to raise, my mistake here was not raising enough. Only made it $11k total. He thinks for 30 seconds before shoving all in for $35k total. I fold and he shows AJ. Just outplayed, and partially my own fault for not raising enough on the turn, so wasn't that angry.

A9ss is a problematic hand in EP with such short stacks.

Why didn't you Cbet the flop? Surely you will never check a pocket pair here, or even AK, so by the turn he probably thinks his AJ is good.

Not sure if i'll be playing the bounty on Wednesday night. Just won another sub-satellite (7 players) for the Main Event satellite.

Second last hand he raises and bets strong the whole way, I check-call him down with K7 on a KQ828 board, he has AT. Considered check-pushing the river but decided if he calls I'm beat.

Last hand 33 OTB, blinds at 100/200, I have 8550, he has 1950, I limp, he checks. Flop 432, two hearts, I bet 200, he calls. Turn: Ac, now bringing two flush draws. I bet enough to put him all-in, he tank-calls with AQ! Why we didn't get it all-in pre I don't know :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A9ss is a problematic hand in EP with such short stacks.

Why didn't you Cbet the flop? Surely you will never check a pocket pair here, or even AK, so by the turn he probably thinks his AJ is good.

Firstly thought ace high would be good here and we could check it down. Didn't want to be check-raised on the flop. Most importantly, just sat down and had been stealing a lot of flops.

I will check QQ-AA on the flop here sometimes, not going to get a lot of action from 1 opponent on that type of board. If he hits a pair on turn get some value out of him/give him the opportunity to bluff at it. Basically thought his lead out on the turn was forced from my checking through on the flop, he can't check call / check-fold is a weak play so figured a raise could get him off whatever hand he was having a stab with, still very tough to shove there, was just completely outplayed.

Finished 11th out of 50-60 runners in the $50 rebuy for the main event ticket today. Either top 6 or 7 got a ticket. Pissed about that, lost another coin flip to be eliminated. Heath Shaw was playing in the event and made the final table - not sure if he got the ticket or not.

Also played in the $100 morning series tourney. Was not fun. Only played one hand, AQhh raised and got 4 callers, missed everything. Didn't see another flop/even limp or raise pre-flop. Absolutely card dead, shoved with A10os OTB, agressive regular woke up with AK.

Made $560 in total from cash games though. One big hand to note. Dealt 6s7s UTG + 1. UTG was a young guy who had already dumped off about $400 but was just cold-decked, he was a good player. He limps and I follow suit, 1 more limper until a rock makes it $10 to go. UTG calls, I'm up about $200 already and the rock has me covered and UTG has a large stack as well so implied odds were very good, Other limper calls.

Flop: 8s9s3c, UTG leads out $20 I make it $50 (gets anyone of a higher flush draw / overpair could fold, not sure what I want the rock to do though if he does have an over pair? shove with over-pair and build pot, fold or flat call?) anywho, rock folds - probably AK. UTG 3-bet's/min-raises to $100, I think for a while. Flat-call or just shove? Clearly he has a set here or has slowplayed Aces. I think I can get him off Aces if I shove, he has $350 total, $250 more for him. So I shove, he seems to reluctantly call, Turn x, River 10c. :D $740 pot. ship it!!

Won't be playing the omaha events tomorrow, need a break. Good luck MDC, hope you TID. But will play the Wednesday Bounty Event. The bounty will make it interesting, hope I get it.

Also played in the $100 morning series tourney. Was not fun. Only played one hand
I wouldn't be playing any Morning Series events myself. For starters, they take $20 from every $120 buy-in every day for the Morning Series final. It's not worth it unless you play every Morning Series event AND make the Final.

Looking at the schedule, I might look at playing the PLHO next Monday.

I wouldn't be playing any Morning Series events myself. For starters, they take $20 from every $120 buy-in every day for the Morning Series final. It's not worth it unless you play every Morning Series event AND make the Final.

Looking at the schedule, I might look at playing the PLHO next Monday.

Yup, agreed. Its too early as well. Only reason I played in it as had to leave early to pretend I was going to Uni.

How'd you go in the PLO events mdc?

Anyone playing in the tournament tonight? I'm hoping it gets a large prizepool.

Stupid ****ing satellite tonight scheduled for 8:30 like every other week, re-scheduled today to 9:30 for some unknown ****ing reason. I'm rushing home 20 minutes late, not bothered by being blinded down a little, and I'm like **** **** **** table won't load, what's going on, then I see it starts at 9:30 :rolleyes:

Event 5: $230 NLH Bounty - news - results

Omfg am I pissed off right now. That idiot in the photo was the guy who knocked me out last night. No ****ing idea what he was doing, complete luckbox.

Blinds are 200/400. I've got a stack of 13k. Folded to me in late position. I raise to 1500 with 10d7d. Button calls, and Petar aka. "the fish" calls from the BB.

Flop: Jd 8d 3d

The fish checks. I continuation 2k. Button thinks for a while and shoves for 11k total. Petar doesn't even think about and goes all in. I obviously insta-call.

Button: AhJs
Petar: Ad5h
Cartman: 10d7d

What the ****? He calls a 9k shove with blinds 200/400 with just a ****ing flush draw. I was left with 200 back after calling Petar's all-in so that makes the pot $41,300. More than likely the winner goes into the overall chiplead, at least top 3. 100bb's, more than a comfortable positon for the strucuture.

Turn: Jd 8d 3d 5d

Fair to say I was a little gutted. Have absolutely no ****ing idea how he makes that call/shove on the flop but whatever, clearly the guy has no idea what he was doing and got incredibly lucky to win the damn thing. Was all but over it until saw his bloody face in that photo. Fair to say if my hand had held up that might just be my face up there. Whatever, just gonna go get drunk and waste my sorrows away. :thumbsdown: :mad: :mad:

PS: next hand just put my last 200 in blind.

Flop: A 6 6. Petar the fish bets out and everyone folds...he turns over A5 again... just to make it a little easier on me they decided to give me pocket Queens...turn the spade draw for 11 outs but of course they're just teasing me. Tried to laugh it off at the time, didn't say anything to him but stormed off after that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back