2nds Crows in SANFL season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. He isn't going to reach us. He was probably trying his best to make sure we prioritize him, but that kind of performance is only going to make it harder for us to get him.
He'll reach us.

And that's the way the SANFL and the clubs want it to be. I hate people in here slagging off those players. It comes across as complete and utter disrespect to them. The problem is the SANFL and the other clubs. Leave out the comments on the top up players and just concentrate on our players. That's what this team is all about, OUR players development.
it harms the actual crow players though.

it harms the actual crow players though.
I agree, how do you set up structures and game style when like yesterday most of the top ups turn the football over every time, wouldn't know how many times we had the run of play and the overlap player only to see one of the top ups miss a target and turn the ball over and leave us open on the rebound.

And that's the way the SANFL and the clubs want it to be. I hate people in here slagging off those players. It comes across as complete and utter disrespect to them. The problem is the SANFL and the other clubs. Leave out the comments on the top up players and just concentrate on our players. That's what this team is all about, OUR players development.

Very true. But we as a club shouldn’t be putting up with the way things are. We are trying to compete with the other AFL clubs and the current system sets us back in our player development.

It’s also not fair on the kids that we draft. They have a lower chance of a future than if they were with a club that can properly develop them in the 2s. The top ups are doing us a massive favour and there is a reason they are eligible to be top up.

We need to join a national reserves comp asap.

I agree, how do you set up structures and game style when like yesterday most of the top ups turn the football over every time, wouldn't know how many times we had the run of play and the overlap player only to see one of the top ups miss a target and turn the ball over and leave us open on the rebound.

Have you watched our AFL team?

Yeah because Doedee looked so bad when he turned up in the AFL and so did Poholke, and Murphy and Gallucci and now Himmelberg. They had so much harm done to them. :rolleyes:
players came through the previous system fine too. but what does someone like fogarty learn by being surrounded literally by amateurs?

Yeah because Doedee looked so bad when he turned up in the AFL and so did Poholke, and Murphy and Gallucci and now Himmelberg. They had so much harm done to them. :rolleyes:

Poholke hasn’t shown he will be an AFL player yet. Gallucci didn’t even look that good in the SANFL. He is one of those players that looks better at a higher level. He has developed better in the AFL than he was developing in the SANFL. Murphy did most of his development in the backline which saw plenty of the ball, as did Doedee.

EH is the one that seems to have come through. This doesn’t prove your point that our players are developing optimally in this handicapped SANFL system though. He has looked a lot better in recent weeks now that we are able to play fewer top ups.

I just think it’s pretty obvious that he, and the other players, would develop faster and better if we were able to put out a relatively competitive side each week, like we would if we were in a national reserves comp. Or if the SANFL allowed us to put 22 evenly competitive players on the ground each week.

Have you watched our AFL team?
Yes I have and nothing you say will change the fact that the continual poor skills shown by most of the top ups DOES hinder the development of our young recruits, you need to remove your blinkers and face up to the facts. Sure we may have been dealt a shitty hand by the SANFL and our poor fitness and injury programs this season may have magnified the problem but that doesn't change the bleeding obvious......By O'Keefe being moved on also signals the club doesn't appear to think he's been doing such a wonderful job either.

Can someone comment on how Paul Hunter went in the Ruck this season in the 2's? Seemed to play the second half of the year there and didn't seem to get worked over in the stats ever.

Could he be a round 1 starting ruck smokey next season over Sauce and ROB?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, and who wants to play in a team that loses every week, and has very little chance of winning, and has no home ground? Not me. That sucks.
yeah, players need to win. or at least be competitive.

i much prefer the old system. it wasn't perfect, but in my eyes it was better. there was accountability, players had to perform to keep their spot in the side. you at least played alongside sanfl standard (for the most part) footballers. players routinely got involved with the club they were taken by in the mini draft too. it was bloody fun for me seeing dangerfield coming down during his school holidays playing for westies. and he ended up doing some coaching and stuff too. certainly didnt hurt his career. or brad crouch getting to play in the 2012 sanfl grand final.

it's important for these guys to feel part of a club, to get embraced by fans and getting to sing the song.

Can someone comment on how Paul Hunter went in the Ruck this season in the 2's? Seemed to play the second half of the year there and didn't seem to get worked over in the stats ever.

When ROB's fit>>>>>>>>>Hunter.

When ROB's fit>>>>>>>>>Hunter.
As a ruckman yes. But the days of a ROB and Sauce Ruck are quickly ending. I like the sound of a Hunter/Jenkins, Hunter/Himmelberg, Jenkins/Himmelberg ruck forward combos. They offer much more around the ground. You saw when Himmelberg went in ruck on the weekend how he was quick to follow up going after the pill after the ruck contest.

Poholke hasn’t shown he will be an AFL player yet. Gallucci didn’t even look that good in the SANFL. He is one of those players that looks better at a higher level. He has developed better in the AFL than he was developing in the SANFL. Murphy did most of his development in the backline which saw plenty of the ball, as did Doedee.

EH is the one that seems to have come through. This doesn’t prove your point that our players are developing optimally in this handicapped SANFL system though. He has looked a lot better in recent weeks now that we are able to play fewer top ups.

I just think it’s pretty obvious that he, and the other players, would develop faster and better if we were able to put out a relatively competitive side each week, like we would if we were in a national reserves comp. Or if the SANFL allowed us to put 22 evenly competitive players on the ground each week.

I call bullshit on most of this, as I have been to a lot of SANFL games to watch the team and part of the problem as well is that we play our AFL game plan regardless of our opposition. When we win games with 14 AFL listed players in our team, you think the SANFL is going to allow us to have quality SANFL players around them? Hell no. It will never happen.

Gallucci showed signs to me in the SANFL that he was going to be quite handy at AFL level. He didn't have to dominate at the lower level because he is an outside mid a bit more than an inside one, so he has to rely on others, but the signs were there, if you cared to look for them. Doedee was continually playing against much taller opponents, but looked even better at AFL level than he did at SANFL. I was spruiking him a lot ever since I saw him play.

People in this thread get very stuck on win/loss and angsting over the top-ups. The simple fact is that as much as you want to whinge about it, it will never get fixed because the SANFL and their clubs and even more precious supporters will not be able to handle it. Move on. This is the system we have. It's the best way for our players as they are playing the AFL game plan by our coaches. They are not being shoved around into positions where the SANFL coach (who sometimes resents having to have AFL players on their list) puts them and ignores the requests from us. Did you want Himmelberg to have been lost to us because he was treated like Gunston?

Until the AFL bites the bullet and re-creates the reserves (but they own the VFL so it's highly unlikely) then this is the best case scenario we have. The one before it was worse. It's what we have, so be a little bit god damn respectful of amateurs who are trying their best with the talent they have in a system that is designed to highlight that they are not SANFL players.

As a ruckman yes. But the days of a ROB and Sauce Ruck are quickly ending. I like the sound of a Hunter/Jenkins, Hunter/Himmelberg, Jenkins/Himmelberg ruck forward combos. They offer much more around the ground. You saw when Himmelberg went in ruck on the weekend how he was quick to follow up going after the pill after the ruck contest.
Sorry I disagree, IMO ROB would be a serviceable AFL Ruckman, his follow up work in Ruck is good, his personal clearance numbers back that up.....Hunter is not and will never be AFL starting ruck quality IMO. If we want better than a serviceable Ruckman that player is not currently on our list. Himmelberg shows signs of being a very good Forward/Relieving Ruck, Hunter is not that.

Edit : And I'll say it again in case you've missed the numerous times I've said it, Jenkins is not a Ruckman's bootlace.

I think he'll be delisted.

Sorry I disagree, IMO ROB would be a serviceable AFL Ruckman, his follow up work in Ruck is good, his personal clearance numbers back that up.....Hunter is not and will never be AFL starting ruck quality IMO. If we want better than a serviceable Ruckman that player is not currently on our list. Himmelberg shows signs of being a very good Forward/Relieving Ruck, Hunter is not that.
Edit : And I'll say it again in case you've missed the numerous times I've said it, Jenkins is not a Ruckman's bootlace.
Jenkins was barely a forward's bootlace until the 2nd half of this year, so you never know - miracles can happen

I have just been on the Port board as they are talking about who they can have as captain. I said that the club and sanfl have told me that the captain/leadership player has to be straight off the list or you just do what we have done and rotate them or choose a top up as we did with Carey. They have now said to me that the club is talking to the SANFL about relaxing the rule for the captain and allow them to recruit and experienced player to be captain who wears the No1. lol. If this gets through then we better be able to recruit a player to be captain as well.

They have now said to me that the club is talking to the SANFL about relaxing the rule for the captain and allow them to recruit and experienced player to be captain who wears the No1. lol. If this gets through then we better be able to recruit a player to be captain as well.
We dont need to. We've got a few candidates on our list already.

I call bullshit on most of this, as I have been to a lot of SANFL games to watch the team and part of the problem as well is that we play our AFL game plan regardless of our opposition. When we win games with 14 AFL listed players in our team, you think the SANFL is going to allow us to have quality SANFL players around them? Hell no. It will never happen

Excellent comments. It seems that the less posters have watched the Twos, the more adamant they are in their views.

FWIW, I thought Doedee was a mile from playing AFL when he joined us but made steady improvement over his two years in the Twos. I thought he was ready late in the 2017 season but we went for a more experienced player when a spot opened up. He has had an outstanding first year in the AFL so we hardly stunted his development.

Gallucci took most of 2017 getting used to playing against men and many “knowledgeable posters” declared him a bust. He had an interrupted pre-season in 2018 and he appeared to be carrying an injury in the early matches in the Twos. I recall stating after the Twos trial match against Westies that he had lost his zip (groin problem?). He gradually improved and I expect him to be a very good player next year if he has a full pre-season.

Poholke looked quite good in the Twos in 2017 but was not ready to be the main inside mid. IMHO he will not be a forward/mid in the long term but he has had some valuable AFL experience. He will become a very handy AFL player.

Murphy had an amazing 2017 in the Twos as an 18 year old top up player and deserved the spot on the rookie list. I said before JLT1 that he would play AFL this year and I wasn’t disappointed. He has a lot more to give.

The Berg has shown glimpses of his talent over the last two years but IMHO was not AFL ready, his time will come.

The FOG needs to build his engine and he will be a beauty. He has been on the Milera program.

What about the KIDS who didn’t get a run in the AFL.
Ben Jarman; not AFL ready and may never reach the fitness level required
Jackson Edwards; very good first season but probably a year away from AFL ready.
The SIG; I said he was gone after the match against Sturt. He has had a great finish to the season. I am not sure if he will reach AFL standard and we may not keep him. I would keep him.
Ben Davis; effectively his first year of senior footy. He could be a contender for AFL if he has a good pre-season or he may be delisted. I would keep him.
McPherson; could be an absolute beauty, if he can get his body right he will play AFL next year.

Some were very critical about the way we handled Milera in 2016 and 2017. That seems to have turned out pretty nicely. It would be better if we had better top up players but our KIDS have developed nicely since we had our own SANFL team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back