Toast Crows steal Troy Menzel, play Andy Otten instead, delist him

Remove this Banner Ad

The most surprising thing about the Gore/Menzel delistings was that Beech/Hunter weren't delisted along with them.

Those guys would be on bargain bin wages. Menzel was probably on some pretty decent coin.

I still think Beech and Hunter are likely to be delisted anyway.

not that strange if you're familiar with the last 20 years of the Adelaide Football Club

In reference to Troy Menzel, who else have we delisted that we shouldn't have?

In the last 10 years, these are the only delisted players that have gone on to play for other clubs-: Henderson, Wright, McKernan, Riley, Sellar, Pfeiffer, Obst. Missing any of those?

In the last 10 years, these are the only delisted players that have gone on to play for other clubs-: Henderson, Wright, McKernan, Riley, Sellar, Pfeiffer, Obst. Missing any of those?
not so much about people we've delisted that we shouldn't have.

more that we value hardworking, middle-of-the-road good blokes more than anything else.

not so much about people we've delisted that we shouldn't have.

more that we value hardworking, middle-of-the-road good blokes more than anything else.
Aaah... I see. Fair enough, you could be onto something there. FWIW, I think Beech will be 'binned' as well.

I was surprised. His passion seems very good and he always looks like he gives his all when I've seen him. I actually felt this with Tambling. Never felt he wasn't AFL standard when I watched him. Just felt like he was always judged as number 1 pick standard and falling anywhere short of that meant he was no good. Anyway too late now unfortunately.
Tambling was pure rubbish .

Wright was leading GK @ Carlton - could do with him now that CC is gone;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think the calls on Beech and Hunter are cut and dried.

Hunter has improved quite a bit and ROB had a bad back in the second half of last season. There are no ready to go ruckman available and why would they join the Crows with two ruckman in front of them.

Harder to mount a case for Jono but our coaches do seem to like him.

Any talk of us being into Sam Collins? Trengove as a rookie surely is worth a go too
I'd think Gibson will be our only experienced 'cheap' recruit. It will be kids from here on in, you would think. We don't want to turn into "Dad's Army", gotta' keep an eye on the future.

Those guys would be on bargain bin wages. Menzel was probably on some pretty decent coin.

Bingo, and exactly why Menzel got delisted.

Troy was frozen out of our plans, and having 400k sitting in our reserves is pretty crippling on a list management side of things; especially if we had 400k worth of space this season to pay him out with (which I'm assuming how it's worked, seeing it makes no sense to release him for nothing otherwise).

I dont think the calls on Beech and Hunter are cut and dried.

Hunter has improved quite a bit and ROB had a bad back in the second half of last season. There are no ready to go ruckman available and why would they join the Crows with two ruckman in front of them.

Harder to mount a case for Jono but our coaches do seem to like him.

Hunter seemed to have some good games and there were periodic reports of him developing pretty well. Would be surprised if he's not retained as a rookie for 1 more year given where we're at. Beech is pure meh and is a waste of a spot that can otherwise go to the next beanpole to start developing if we think Hunter has no real future.

Ed Curnow & Tom Lee are the others.

Nothing of value was missed, although Curnow was handy for a few seasons.

Interesting the calls on Beech. He plays 1 good game and one crap game that the entire team played crap in. Not saying he is a superstar but he definitely is not a crap player and has the versatility to cover a large range of positions.
Hunter was playing some solid footy by the end of the season and with ROB injury problems it would be short sited to delist.

Interesting the calls on Beech. He plays 1 good game and one crap game that the entire team played crap in. Not saying he is a superstar but he definitely is not a crap player and has the versatility to cover a large range of positions.
Hunter was playing some solid footy by the end of the season and with ROB injury problems it would be short sited to delist.
I don't think Beech offered anything more than Milera, Menzel, Doedee (I know, different position) would offer. Why not play a younger player who has a greater ceiling?

Beech is fully developed and completely vanilla. At best he's the last guy picked if we've got half a dozen injuries. We could have got the same from Wigg or nearly any other draftee with 2 years in the system and a potentially higher ceiling. He's a complete waste of a list spot. Given rookies can play next year, I wouldn't even look at sending him back to the rookie list, just delist him and let him return to being a good SANFL footballer.

Last edited:

Menzel still had a year to run on his contract, so we were paying that money anyway were we not?

Would still rather have kept him over Beech.

It's a real shame someone with Menzel's talent doesn't have someone like Beech's application to the sport.

Menzel still had a year to run on his contract, so we were paying that money anyway were we not?

Would still rather have kept him over Beech.

It's a real shame someone with Menzel's talent doesn't have someone like Beech's application to the sport.
If Menzel still has a year on his contract, was there something off field that happened? Unusual to let a contract player go and then complain about CC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back