macca23

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Last day of holidays today so I thought better get down to training and watch the boys for the last time until they play at Norwood Oval.

Unfortunately the numbers on the restricted training program increased by a further two today with Schubak and Marsh joining the other 8. They seemed alright but obviously couldn't have been 100% or they would have been training with the main group.

Managed to speak to everybody's hero - yep - Daniel Schell!!! :D
He is actually a very nice chap to talk to and told me that he suffered from bursitis at the back of the knee for the last third of last year which required an operation at the end of the year. He said that the op was successful but now he has groin soreness, but says he would rather have his injuries now than when the season starts.

The main training squad appeared at 9 16 am and were down to 33, with the 10 missing on restricted programs, which once again included Carey and Burns, both of whom moved freely. The 33 was soon reduced to 32 when Hentschel seemed to jar his back while doing a foot passing exercise, was given a back massage while lying on the ground and then went inside - hopefully he will be okay next week.

After various skill exercises the training program ended with a competitive scratch match consisting of two 20 to 25 minute halves.

The key forward positions were rather depleted, with Carey, Stevens, Hentschel, Bock, Schell, Marsh plus Welsh and Burns watching from the sidelines. Rutten played at CHF but only managed 1 mark for the whole scratch match. It was hard to tell who it was who was on him but I think that it was Aidan Parker - Rutten was soundly beaten although he tried hard and probably would do better in the back lines.

It was a bone-crunching no holds barred fierce tackling match with the competition from spots bringing out some excellent footy - just what Ayres who was watching from a specially constructed elevated tower stand would have wanted.

It started in ruck with Biglands and Clarke each trying to prove that they were the Crows' number 1 ruckman. I gave it to Clarke because his tap-work was first-class. As suspected Edwards played as a mid-fielder resting on the HF flank and kicked the first 3 goals of the match. McLeod cruised the oval like a Rolls Royce embarrassing other players at time with his acceleration. Bodey probably had more of the ball than anyone while Nigel Smart and Ben Hart were as good as ever. Gallagher played as a rover and had plenty of it as did Ladhams. The only problem with the midfield will be that they can't all get in!!! :)

Goodwin kicked a couple from FF and had a couple of runs on the ball with good effect, while Shirley didn't look out of place. Nelson and Perrie did though, with the former being shown up for pace on a few occasions.

There were a couple of pleasant surprises, with young Smith standing Burton who was playing HF flank and frustrating the living sh*tter out of him. Honours definitely with Smith. Jericho played on a HF flank and is a very strong grab, very mobile and really surprised me. He did well. Crowell also did well up forward and kicked 3 off memory.

One of the major highlights of the whole trial was the contest between Reilly and Johnstiffy on a wing. Stiffy took the honours early but Reilly with blistering pace and some clever ball-handling ended up taking the honours, until he went off 5 minutes before the end after copping a knock on a knee. They sent him straight in for treatment although he was moving okay and an official told me after that they were just being cautious. He will play AFL this year will young Reilly.

There were others regulars such as Stenglein etc who all had good moments, but as yet I haven't mentioned the stand-out of the whole trial - Kenny McGregor at CHB. He was impassable and not only marked everything on offer but kept running forward and kicked a couple of goals as well.

Well, that's my stint at training sessions finished unfortunately - back to work on Monday!! :(

Another great review of training Macca. Wish I was there going by the footage on the TV. If Kenny can hold down CHB & attack a little more with confidence, that will be a huge bonus. Looks like the competitions is well under away for midfield spots. I've got a feeling that Reilly might play quite a few games this year. He mentioned that the 1st year was very much a settling in process & he is raring to go now. Could be a great replacement for Sugar. Cheers. :)

Macca, For your sake I'm glad you're back at work now. If you'd been able to keep up posts like these we'd have to shoot you for giving away too much information. For those of us out of SA thanks for those sensational updates.

Great news about big Kenny. How was his transfer from hand to boot? To me, he never had a reflex option in his repertoire which left him looking fairly vulnerable under pressure. Watching Begley and Tourney on video they both have the same sorts of problems so the balance down back will be interesting.

A few dubious people I've spoken to have huge raps on Ade Parker and you've supported that. Too bad he beat Rutten who's eveyone's golden boy though.

Any news on Perrie? Would love to see him play a part he but may have missed the boat.

My golden boy's Gallagher. Great to see him getting plenty hold of the footy. Look out for him 2003, he'll be gooood.

Originally posted by Spogs
Macca, For your sake I'm glad you're back at work now. If you'd been able to keep up posts like these we'd have to shoot you for giving away too much information.

Good one Spogs:D

Yep well done Macca I should contact the Robman and get him to include your rather informative dittys regularly (on the improved website ).

Daniel Schells sorta been a forgotten player eh? Hell it'd be good if he could string together some early form and make FF his own, coz I'd still rather carey at CHF

The number of players on restricted programs is a worry.

How "restricted" are they?

PS: - This bit I find interesting "the stand-out of the whole trial - Kenny McGregor at CHB" considering that most opposition fans and indeed quite a few Crows fans even consider Kenny a bit of a liability for the Crows.

Originally posted by ok.crows

PS: - This bit I find interesting "the stand-out of the whole trial - Kenny McGregor at CHB" considering that most opposition fans and indeed quite a few Crows fans even consider Kenny a bit of a liability for the Crows.

Nah you could see him constantly improving last year and gaining a better head on those shoulders of his....
I think we will see a great season from him this year...
He is a trier and I think he puts in a lot of effort where the club is concerned.....
Just my opinion though :)

Originally posted by fitzy's_eyes
Nah you could see him constantly improving last year and gaining a better head on those shoulders of his....
I think we will see a great season from him this year...
He is a trier and I think he puts in a lot of effort where the club is concerned.....
Just my opinion though :)

I agree with your opinion. I think Kenny did enough in 2002 to nail down CHB, and has been slowly but constantly improving for some time now. I was disappointed that Ken missed most of the first 9 games of 2002 through a knee injury. I think the Crows may have won a couple of extra games in 2002 if they had had Ken & welsh for the whole year.

The thing that I am trying to point out though is the view of opposition fans - they seem to think of Crows defence as a weakness, and in particular because of the key position players. McGregor & Bassett don't rate at all amongst opposition fans.

I think that if McGregor has a full year and carries on with his apparent improvement, and if perhaps Rutten can help out against really tall opposition forward lines, Crows defence could become a strong point in 2003.

Remember, Crows won flags in '97 and '98 on the basis of a strong running/rebounding defence lead by Caven at CHB.

The thing that I am trying to point out though is the view of opposition fans - they seem to think of Crows defence as a weakness, and in particular because of the key position players. McGregor & Bassett don't rate at all amongst opposition fans.

I like your thinking too!
It's funny what you say here......how McGregor and Bassett don't rate at all amongst opposition fans.....
I wonder why.....I know even some Crows fans feel the same.....
These are two players I love to watch......
While sometimes when they are playing bad they are terrible......when they do have a good day usually in my opinion the are exceptional.
Sometimes it just looks like Bassett gets to upset with himself and ends up trying too hard (if you can do such a thing) and then gets more frustrated with himself....

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
If Kenny can hold down CHB & attack a little more with confidence, that will be a huge bonus. Looks like the competitions is well under away for midfield spots. I've got a feeling that Reilly might play quite a few games this year. He mentioned that the 1st year was very much a settling in process & he is raring to go now. Could be a great replacement for Sugar. Cheers. :)

McGregor was outstanding today - never made an error either by hand or by foot - found a man every time, and attacked from CHB very much like Peter Kaven used to, kicking 2 goals himself. I think he's in for a very big season.

Reilly has won me after watching him these past two training sessions. He still is fairly lightly framed but he is a nice size, has huge pace and great skills and goes in hard when he has to. Has definitely grown since last year IMO. Johnstiffy started like a rocket but he wore him down and got on top in the end, and I'm expecting Stiffy to have a good season. Reilly will definitely play AFL games this year.

There are so many putting their hand up for Johnson's mid-field vacancy apart from Reilly though. Edwards was very skilful and classy kicking 3 goals. Gallagher was very good as a rover in getting the ball, showed great pace and used the ball beautifully. I had trouble picking Begley up today because a few of them played in caps giving little hope of identifying them, and he was one of them, but he's also a candidate.

Mark Bickley His left leg is very wasted from the knee down and he spent this morning in the gym working on building it up. Bicks will be lucky to be there for the first home and away game, but just might be.

Scott Welsh ran laps today which was a better sign, and they are just easing him back after his groin operation.

Daniel Schell has groin soreness but is running laps and didn't seem too concerned about it when I spoke to him.

Kris Massie is on a modified running program with his mild dose ofChronic Fatigue - seems to be running okay but don't know how he feels.

Mark Stevens had the same Back problem last year, and he ran laps today - they're just looking after him because he is so important.

Nathan Bock's Knee can't be too bad beacuse he's doing modified running as well

Ronnie Burns wanted to fully train today with his Corky but they wouldn't let him so he's okay.

Wayne Carey told me Wednesday that his hammy is fine and he is doing all the running sessions but they won't let him do the competitive stuff for another week I think. He trains 1 on 1 off and although it was an off again today he was out there doing a bit.

While I don't know what is wrong with Marsh and Schubak they didn't look overly handicapped.

Bickley, Massie ,Welsh and perhaps Schell are the ones that are going to take a bit of time - the others could all be back full-time in the next 2 weeks.

Originally posted by Spogs

A few dubious people I've spoken to have huge raps on Ade Parker and you've supported that. Too bad he beat Rutten who's eveyone's golden boy though.

Any news on Perrie? Would love to see him play a part he but may have missed the boat

Adan Parker has a lot going for him. He's tall, about 6'4" at least and looks like a big chance to be promoted onto the full list if he has a good year in the SANFL, which I have no doubt that he will. I like the look of him.

Rutten is a better backman than a forward IMO, but with so many KPP's missing from up forward, he had to play at CHF today.

Perrie looks a million dollars, hard, muscled , fit as a mallee bull, but didn't get a lot of the ball. He will only be a backup KPP, possibly for CHB and CHF IMO.

One thing I did forget to say earlier is that the Crows weight work is obviously designed at muscle definition and hardness. They look stronger but slightly less bulkier than last year. I wouldn't mind betting that this is aimed at gaining a smidgeon of pace all around the ground. They won't be any less tougher though, their tackling was bloody ferocious today!!

Great post once again macca, i don't suppose you could take a sickie or 2 in the coming weeks ;) just to keep these updates on the boys posted, like Spogs has already said it is a real buzz for us people that live outside of Adelaide to have regular infomation updates on the Crows preseason,
Was a little bit disappointed with your report on young Rutten but as you said he was at chf & it still is early days, was very keen to hear about Reilly & Smith i recall Smith playing some good games late last year for PA & Porthos seems to have a bit of time for Reilly, even though Porthos is from the other side of town he does seem to have a bit of knowledge about the draftees that were picked up, can you see Ladhams become a regular in the midfield in place of Johnson??

Once again macca, nice work. Reckon you should write a few articles on our preseason in the Crowing magazine. When's your next holidays?? :cool:

Everything is sounding really good with the players. Excellent to see young rookies like Reilly and Smith up, while our gun players in McLeod, Goody, Edwards etc maintain their form. Bring on Season 2003!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by noddy
can you see Ladhams become a regular in the midfield in place of Johnson??

Definitely a real chance noddy. He's another that got a real lot of the ball yesterday and used it beautifully. But any midfielder will have to maintain the peak of their form to stay in the side, because apart from McLeod, Ricciuto, Goodwin, Stenglein, Edwards and Bode who would all have to be considered certainties there is another group of Ladhams, Gallagher, Doughty, Reilly, Begley, Shirley and Mattner (plus Bickley and Massie when available) all competing for spots as well. Burton is also another possibility for a wing as well.

The other thing I've been meaning to mention Noddy is that, whether planned or unplanned, there appears to be a connection between your avatar and your location!!! :D

Originally posted by macca23

Bickley, Massie ,Welsh and perhaps Schell are the ones that are going to take a bit of time - the others could all be back full-time in the next 2 weeks.

Sorry to quote myself :D but I just heard Reidy talking on 5AA and he confirmed that there were only 3 "longer-term injuries" on the restricted list.

He said that Massie and Welsh were both coming along nicely and shoud be back into full training by the start of the Wizard cup. He said that Massie's CFS is improving and Welsh's operation appears to have been successful. Bickley is the longest term injury prospect, and while he is working very hard on his rehab, it will be touch and go whether he is ready for the first game.

He agreed that this was the Crows best list ever and that they had an outstanding bunch of juniors. He stated that more importantly, these juniors had a great work ethic, and were prepared to do all the hard things necessary to improve their game.

In discussion after the interview, Russell Ebert stated that the Crows list had improved 11 to 12% from last year, with the Powder's improving by 3 to 4 %, and that he saw the 2 lists as now equal in 2003. I thought this was pretty significant, because as he is tied up with the Powder, Ebert couldn't publicly concede that the Crows list was now better than theirs. Chris McDermott had done a rating on the 2 lists and rated the Crows 101 to the Powder 97.

Interesting stuff and barring injuries, there is a distinct possibility that both South Australian teams will not only match Brisbane this year but slightly overtake them.

Only another 6 weeks until the start of the Wizard Wok. :D

Another sensational post there macca23!!!!!! ;) Petty you got to get back to work as I will be struggling to get the informed opinion of high quality. I always argued with powder ferals that Smith is a good prospect and still stand by my opinion. Good to see top youngsters going head to head and breaking even (RE Reilly & Stiffy). Ken McGregor (eat your heart out powder ferals :D ) will be very good in 2003. Has he put any muscle on in the off season macca???? Ben Rutten will take time to develop into Key Forward. I always said that he will become a very good CHB and then be switched to CHF once Stevens retires. (Remember before mid 2001 Stevens spent majority of his time as a defender before becoming one of the best CHFs in the comp)

Any of you think that Rutten will get a crack at Tredrea @ some stage of our 1st Wizard cup game against the powder?????:cool:

P.S. Keep up the good work macca. Petty your step-son is with the other mob:(

Originally posted by Stiffy_18

Any of you think that Rutten will get a crack at Tredrea @ some stage of our 1st Wizard cup game against the powder?????

I hope not Stiffy. Tredrea is one really classy CHF and I wouldn't like to see Rutten's confidence ruined at this stage. McGregor will definitely take the job on Tredrea IMO.

McGregor is definitely muscled enough Stiffy - I'd certainly swap this weary body of mine for his any day!! :D

How did Hentschel look before getting a niggle??????
Does Jericho have what it takes??????
Is he capable of holding down key forward position in the future??????

RE McGregor he needed some body strength last year and for him to get Tredre he will definetly have to get stronger;)

How did Hentschel look before getting a niggle??????
Does Jericho have what it takes??????
Is he capable of holding down key forward position in the future??????

RE McGregor he needed some body strength last year and for him to get Tredre he will definetly have to get stronger;)

Hentschel looked good at training on Wednesday, which was skills day. He's a really nice size, about 6'4", moves well and takes good grabs. On Friday he was taking part in an exercise of kicking to a leading player and then running through when he appeared to jar his back while kicking. They massaged him immediately on the ground, and then sent him in for further treatment.

Jericho really surprised me in the scratch match, playing on a half-forward flank. He took a few good grabs and hunted the ball well on the ground. Only 18, he is about 6'2" and is very athletic with plenty of pace and a really good leap plus strong hands. He's not quite tall enough and nowhere strongly built enough to hold down a key forward spot at this stage, but looks very promising for the future.

As I said previously McGregor shone in the trial and looks set for a great year. He certainly is strong enough as he has done well on Brisbane's Brown when standing him. Tredrea is a hard ask for whoever stands him, but Kenny is our best bet to at least hold him to a reasonable level.

I really like Ayres philosophy of pushing the 2nd and 3rd tier players to improve themselves a level. During the scratch match these were the ones he really concentrated on either praising them or sending out messages of advice as how something could have been done better. As a result not only do they improve but they push the established players for improved performances to hold their spot

[B
The other thing I've been meaning to mention Noddy is that, whether planned or unplanned, there appears to be a connection between your avatar and your location!!! :D [/B]

Just between you & me macca that connection is quite accidental :) but hey what the heck i'll take the credit [or blame] for it,
i'm a fan of Rowan Atkinson ala Mr Bean & i use his pics as my avatar & as for the Knob well that's just north of Whyalla,:cool:

I really like Ayres philosophy of pushing the 2nd and 3rd tier players to improve themselves a level. During the scratch match these were the ones he really concentrated on either praising them or sending out messages of advice as how something could have been done better. As a result not only do they improve but they push the established players for improved performances to hold their spot
Yeah, this is crucial. We have a good core of a dozen or so players who we know will play consistent football week in week out. To get further inprovement in 2003 will depend largely on the lower tier players stepping up to another level. We appear to have more depth, which has made competition for these spots fierce. Can't wait for the season to start! :)

Hentschel looked good at training on Wednesday, which was skills day. He's a really nice size, about 6'4", moves well and takes good grabs. On Friday he was taking part in an exercise of kicking to a leading player and then running through when he appeared to jar his back while kicking. They massaged him immediately on the ground, and then sent him in for further treatment.

Jericho really surprised me in the scratch match, playing on a half-forward flank. He took a few good grabs and hunted the ball well on the ground. Only 18, he is about 6'2" and is very athletic with plenty of pace and a really good leap plus strong hands. He's not quite tall enough and nowhere strongly built enough to hold down a key forward spot at this stage, but looks very promising for the future.

As I said previously McGregor shone in the trial and looks set for a great year. He certainly is strong enough as he has done well on Brisbane's Brown when standing him. Tredrea is a hard ask for whoever stands him, but Kenny is our best bet to at least hold him to a reasonable level.

Thanks macca23 for the info. Good to hear that the competitive juices flowing:D . The only worry seems to be with a fair bit of players on modified programs because of injuries.:(

P.S. Keep up the good work macca. Petty your step-son is with the other mob:(
Hey Stiffy
Sorry I was a bit hard on you last week, but thats OK with rival supporters I think. I hope that you mean "Pity your step-son is with the other mob". Just to let you know a bit of my background. I originally barracked for the Crows from 1991 to 1996 and was a season ticket holder. My last game as a Crows supporter was a loss at FP to Collingwood if my memory is correct. Then when the Power came in I went straight to them. I had followed the Port Magpies as a youngster when my unlcle played for them in the early 70's. He played in both the 71 and 72 losing GFs to North. He then went to Westies who I followed for a while, but probably only due to family pressure. I did go to the winning 83 GF against Sturt, which was good. My heart has always been with Port but I do have enormous respect for the Crows, mainly because the bastards won two flags after I jumped off the sinking Shaw ship.
The good days must only be around the corner for the Power if we can win finals regularly at home. I feel that if we could win a final away from home it would even be better because that self doubt wolud be out of our minds. Good luck to both sides in 2003 and I hope we beat you by one point in the Grand Final.:D

Ayres

I must say that as an original "doubter" of Gary Ayres, his vision now seems to be leading the team to all the right places. I was very critical of his match day coaching as I believe he left too many moves way too late before making changes to stop the damage. 2002 game day coaching was much better, but he still does have a tendency to wait too long to effect changes. I guess this comes from his philosophy of teaching the players to play a certain style and it's also interesting that he has introduced so much attacking flair, given his background as a staunch defender. I have come around to now thinking of Ayres as hopefully a 10+ year coach of the club as I believe he has the plan and the ability to carry it off. It would be nice to have the same sort of leadership stability and dynasties as the Kangas and Essendon have had with Pagan and Sheedy. Ayres sees himself as a career coach, I only hope that career is long and successful with the Crows. I don't know how many of you ever saw Ayres play, but a tougher and more dedicated footballer you wouldn't find. Very glad he got rid of the Conan the Barbarian hairstyle though!!

Just a word of caution

Its only training.

Huge difference when you come to play at the highest level.

Remember Richo kicked 11 goals in an internal practice match? He was then exposed at AFL level.

IMO Rutten and Reilly will need another year in the SANFL after seeing both of them play in the SANFL a couple of times last year.

McGregor has always been better in defence. Most judged his ability after he played forward with little or no success, which included the ball hitting him on the head a few times when his hands missed it.

Don't get me wrong though - it would be great to have Kenny playing well at CHB in 2003. Its definitley a good spot for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back