Crows win in the Territory

Remove this Banner Ad

Tonights game was a good competitive match. Greasy and humid conditions stoped the skils from being really slick in some cases. Lots of missed marks etc. Still, it was a good quality game, with the Eagles leading through the first quarter and the Crows setting up the win in the second.

Another three quarter fade out was a real concern, but our midfield rallied again in the last. We seemed to play a bit straighter down the ground this week, but we still keep kicking goals from the pockets. the eagles players lost the plot and gave away some silly free kicks - esp the blantant free kicks against Burton and Gallagher.

Best for the Crows :

Perrie: Marked and kicked well and provided a bit of a target. Still doesnt get in the right spot and misses the mark or goes to ground too often.

Burns: scratcty first quarter, took a solid mark in the second and kept improving. Goal from the pocket was great but his best effort was a smother deep in our forward line in the third.

Goodwin, Mcleod - deadly! Absolutley brilliant!

Reilly - stepped up this kid, kept getting the ball and kicked a good goal and set up another.

Smart and Shirley - Smart improved on last week and Shirley did some good things, Cousins got away from him in the second half.

Burton - ran too far with the ball very early in the game and gave the weagles a free, but improved from there.

Stevo did some tough things in his first game back, I think Bode may be injured.

Well done to Ronnie Burns! People were writing him off last week - he showed us that he still has a lot to offer. I am looking forward to a great year from Ronnie!

k
xx

Originally posted by Jerome
Best for the Crows :

Perrie: Marked and kicked well and provided a bit of a target. Still doesnt get in the right spot and misses the mark or goes to ground too often.

Burns: scratcty first quarter, took a solid mark in the second and kept improving. Goal from the pocket was great but his best effort was a smother deep in our forward line in the third.

Goodwin, Mcleod - deadly! Absolutley brilliant!

Reilly - stepped up this kid, kept getting the ball and kicked a good goal and set up another.

Smart and Shirley - Smart improved on last week and Shirley did some good things, Cousins got away from him in the second half.

Burton - ran too far with the ball very early in the game and gave the weagles a free, but improved from there.

Stevo did some tough things in his first game back, I think Bode may be injured.

As good a the bucks nite was I could not go without at least listening to the match and I think its fair to say that Rowey crack me up a few times.

From what I could gather throught the comentry there was a lot of rotating of the players and apparently only Hart and McGregor played the whole game.

By the sounds of things:

Perrie - was very impressive. Led well and kicked straight. I and happy to eat humble pie from couple of weeks ago but I have to say I was impressed with him.

McLeod and Goodwin - were their usual class acts.

Gallagher - he was getting a big wrap from the boys. He kicked a couple of goals and ran really hard and his disposal was very neat.

Burns - I was punching the air when he got those goals. Apparently he applied a great tackle and provided a bit of zip in the forward line.

Hart - Was his usual self. Kepr Wilson very quite. Mr Relialbe himself.

Smart - General down back and provided a lot of run from the backline.

Reilly - He was being given HUGE wraps from the comentary team and got a lot of the footy when he was on the ground. They praised his hard running and disposal. Finished off the night with a goal.

Honorable mentions:

Shirley - had a very good 1st half but went missing in the second.

John**** - Did some good things and was his usual confident self

According to the 5AA team Simon Goodwin is the only injury. He copped a corky.

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
Honorable mentions:

Shirley - had a very good 1st half but went missing in the second.
Why didn't they tag-team Cuz who is a running machine & give Mattner a go at Cuz in the 2nd half?

Originally posted by DaveW
Only in the umpire's mind did he run too far.

Nah, he was gone IMO. Tried to do too much and got stuck - again.

I saw Bode limping around the boundry during the last and they said he may have been injured. Hopefully it was just something minor.

Jerome

I saw Bode limping around the boundry during the last and they said he may have been injured. Hopefully it was just something minor.

Jerome

Maybe it was only a cramp Jerome. The conditions were quite draining.

Jerome

Yeah, I saw that Jerome. But I did say to my missus at the time that Bodey looked so stuffed he could barely walk. Hopefully it was nothing more than that.

from The Sunday mail

Concern for Crows after red-hot win

02mar03
ADELAIDE'S relief in advancing to Friday's Wizard Cup semi-finals without injury from its 20-point win against West Coast here is being tempered by the reality it will be another 24 hours before the Crows know the exact physical cost of the demanding match.

The Crows yesterday completed their taxing assignment in Darwin – the club's first experience of the overbearing heat and humidity in the northern capital – with a recovery session in a local swimming pool.

"Our next 24 to 48 hours, as far as recovery, become important for next week," said Adelaide coach Gary Ayres, who has guided the Crows to their second consecutive pre-season Cup semi-final and sixth in 13 years – and probably their best position to win the title for the first time.

If Adelaide brings back one certainty from the challenging expedition to Darwin it will be greater conviction of its preparation over the summer for the premiership challenge ahead – particularly after the Crows' strong finish against an inaccurate West Coast side.

"Our fitness to combat the conditions was very encouraging," Ayres said.

"The players should be feeling pretty confident about the work they have done in the past three months."

Beyond the physical test the Crows endured from a committed Eagles unit – and this can't be under-estimated – they gave Ayres greater conviction that the progress chart at West Lakes is still pointing upwards.

Ayres spoke highly of the skills the Crows revealed so early in the season, particularly when they were tested by the ball being slippery in drenching humidity.

"I'm big on skill level and we really showed good poise and composure when the Eagles came at us at the end," said Ayres, whose Crows crafted five goals in the last term while the Eagles developed the yips with 1.4 from the same number of opportunities. Ayres also was given more certainty of his game plan as it again showed, as he puts it, structure is more important than personnel.

With Wayne Carey still to be fitted into the Adelaide attack and Mark Stevens working his way back from injury, the Crows created an imposing attack with four goals from Ian Perrie, three from a fast-improving Ronnie Burns and the promise of young guns Ben Rutten, James Gallagher and Nathan Bock.

The progress of Adelaide's next-generation players – who revitalised the Crows last season – remains Ayres' charter.

"It is important for the team psyche the younger players keep pushing up as much as they can," said Ayres after seeing the eagerness of Gallagher to reclaim a spot in the league side after being hindered by injury last season.

"As more experienced players come back in the next few weeks I think it is really vital for this club to promote younger players and they keep putting pressure on others to play well."

Adelaide should expect defender Nathan Bassett to recover from a corked thigh for this week's semi-final against the Kangaroos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back