Cummins Overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

My theory with NSW and cricket is that the alternative is rugby. While in Vic the alternative is Aussie Rules . Cricket body types are more likely to fit into Aussie Rules than Rugby. So in Vic SA WA TAS we lose cricketers to AFL while not so much cricketers to rugby. .
Hey it’s a theory.
I think it’s actually a good theory, lots of rugby league players play cricket but not at any elite level. Think hit and giggle fifth graders. The beer comps. Wouldn’t be anywhere near the trade off as there would be between afl and cricket I don’t think
Your theory will have make more sense if Queensland like NSW is a rugby league state produced more quicks which they havent. Johnson and Kapsowics (I know spelt wrong). Come to me recent memory while NSW have many more.

Not only fast bowlers. Australia current test team 7 hail from NSW. Must have better talent development and

Not sure you can claim Lyon when he spent his teenage years in the ACT system and then got his professional start for SA.

It’s no secret that NSW have been the best at producing talent over the years, however I think the current split of NSW players is papering over the cracks in their system.

It’s actually somewhat concerning for Australian cricket that our historically best state isn’t producing the talent they used to. The most recent debutant was Patterson in 2019. Of those who’ve actually played regular test cricket we have to go back to Hazlewood in 2014. In that time we’ve seen Boland, Carey, Head, Labs and Green all debut, we would usually expect to see at minimum 2-3 NSW players on their level coming through.

Not only fast bowlers. Australia current test team 7 hail from NSW. Must have better talent development and
Population. Tho I feel like Queenland and Vic underachieved considering how large their population is and how good their states sides have been over the last decade or so.

WA are underperforming as their states sides been great for a decade or so but also alot of their great talents have been quite injury prone. Especially their fast bowlers who have all looked like Aussie players till their bodies kept on breaking down. Potentially is something they look into investigating

It's quite damming Victoria don't have a current test player other then Boland who isn't a starter unless there is injuries. SA have two and we have none.

It's quite damming Victoria don't have a current test player other then Boland who isn't a starter unless there is injuries. SA have two and we have none.
In b4 Marcus Harris comes in for Warner

Your theory will have make more sense if Queensland like NSW is a rugby league state produced more quicks which they havent. Johnson and Kapsowics (I know spelt wrong). Come to me recent memory while NSW have many more.

The likes of Neser, Bichel, Noffke, Adam Dale, Dirk Tazelaar and Joe Dawes would have played international cricket (at least more than they did) under different circumstances, but none of them are/were top-tier bowlers. Dale in particular was like Trent Copeland - economical, but too slow to threaten top-quality batsmen.

Rackemann chased the Rand, and Geoff Dymock was a late bloomer.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Cummins already make out all time Xi?
Fair question. Unclear in my mind and I prefer to let players complete their career before bestowing on them the honor of being in my all time team. fwiw:

Simpson
Lawry
Bradman
G.Chappell
Miller/Border
Harvey
Gilchrist
Lindwall/O'Reilly
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Fair question. Unclear in my mind and I prefer to let players complete their career before bestowing on them the honor of being in my all time team. fwiw:

Simpson
Lawry
Bradman
G.Chappell
Miller/Border
Harvey
Gilchrist
Lindwall/O'Reilly
Warne
Lillee
McGrath
Steve Smith surely makes it even his career is still going. Steve Waugh and Ponting >Harvey and Chappell

Somewhat remarkable he didn’t play a test for like 6 years after his amazing debut as an 18 year old. And now feel like he’s been around for ages and is 30. And would be man of the series favourite each series. The passage of time is peculiar, especially at the start of years when you’re like 2004 was 20 years ago?!

Steve Smith surely makes it even his career is still going. Steve Waugh and Ponting >Harvey and Chappell
Smith is or was on track to be the 2nd best batter after Donald.. missing through suspension and Covid has made that wobble a bit
Hope he gets a half dozen more 100s going forward but looks like he’s just a star not a superstar lately

But they didn't play 60 - 80 years ago so they'll never be as good.....

Seriously, imagine doing an all time Australian side without Ponting. What a joke.
Each to their own opinion. That team selected is still very, very, very impressive.

Hayden not opening is another omission that i would change in my version of the team.

Each to their own opinion. That team selected is still very, very, very impressive.

Hayden not opening is another omission that i would change in my version of the team.
Of course it's a good team but not putting in the highest run scorer in Australian history with an average exceeding 50 is ludicrous. If Ponting had scored 6,000 runs at the same average but played in the 60s he'd be in every team. But he played in the modern era so doesn't get a look in.

Of course it's a good team but not putting in the highest run scorer in Australian history with an average exceeding 50 is ludicrous. If Ponting had scored 6,000 runs at the same average but played in the 60s he'd be in every team. But he played in the modern era so doesn't get a look in.
If you are picking your team based on batting position/ bowling role then the selection may be Ponting vs Bradman. In which case Ponting misses out. Although without studying the team more that theory is hard to prove or disprove. The other question point would be are you including players you have actually seen play or players based on reputation/ stats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back