Cummins Overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bumrah is a freak. Imagine him playing indoor cricket coming in off 3 steps. He would literally kill someone. Only a population of 1.3 billion could the odds produce someone like him with that outrageous mutant ability to hyperextend his elbow and generate pace from nothing. And combined with his seam position - it’s unbelievable.

I still remember the first time I saw him play, Dean Jones was commentating; he'd seen him in action before. Kept calling him ''The Grinch''. It was probably his First Class debut in Australia and he duly won India the match.

He has been excellent on our wickets, but the truth is he is a fast bowling savant with his own methods and he's been successful all over the world in all formats of the game.

Likes I said: Cummins, Rabada, Bumrah - they are the standout modern great quicks; I don't think I am being controversial nor original in nominating that trio.

Cummins has a great record, his achievements speak for themselves and he will probably go down as a legend by the end of his career. But for whatever reason, I just don't ever get excited to watch him bowl like the excitement I had watching Lee, Starc, Johnson, Mcgrath, even Tait in their prime. I don't know what it is.

Cummins has a great record, his achievements speak for themselves and he will probably go down as a legend by the end of his career. But for whatever reason, I just don't ever get excited to watch him bowl like the excitement I had watching Lee, Starc, Johnson, Mcgrath, even Tait in their prime. I don't know what it is.
Has he ever bowled us to a series win in India or England ???

Has he ever bowled us to a series win in India or England ???
India's was as much Gillespie's doing as McGrath's.

RE England, he was outstanding in 2019. Not his fault that Paine's a lousy tactician and that Joel Wilson's blind.

RE Cummins, right now I rank him just behind McGrath and Steyn because of lower numbers. But I don't think he's quite like either. He's a portmanteau of McGrath, Gillespie, Johnson and Steyn. He approximates McGrath accuracy, he extracts extra bounce like Gillespie could, he has Johnson's awkward action, and like Steyn he can generate reverse.

About the only thing he hasn't really done is use a slower ball?

Cummins is a better bowler than Rabada.

Rabada's still dangerous on home decks with plenty of movement, but overseas you gets fewer of those pitches, and since his mid-2018 back injury, he can't muster up the extra pace to run through sides on flat wickets, especially when the ball was reversing.

Which is why he was dangerous on the GABBA greentop, but completely impotent afterwards.

I only remember Lillee as a kid but it seemed like there was an aura around him that very few cricketers I've seen since then have had.
I sometimes feel in order to fully appreciate the greatness of Dennis Lillee, you had to live in the time. I witnessed Lillee's entire career in which there were some wonderful quicks around the world, but Lillee was the standout. To be corny perhaps, but Lillee was their king. You hear greats such as Richard Hadlee say pretty much the same thing.

His ability to take on a Test match and turn it around was second to none. His ferocious competitiveness and will to win was almost scary. Sure, he did some silly things at times like the aluminum bat and Javed Miandad incidents, but in general he was simply the greatest quick bowler I've ever seen, and I have no doubts in saying that. It's difficult for me to imagine anyone better in the game's history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

India's was as much Gillespie's doing as McGrath's.

RE England, he was outstanding in 2019. Not his fault that Paine's a lousy tactician and that Joel Wilson's blind.

RE Cummins, right now I rank him just behind McGrath and Steyn because of lower numbers. But I don't think he's quite like either. He's a portmanteau of McGrath, Gillespie, Johnson and Steyn. He approximates McGrath accuracy, he extracts extra bounce like Gillespie could, he has Johnson's awkward action, and like Steyn he can generate reverse.

About the only thing he hasn't really done is use a slower ball?

Our middle order batting won us series in India in 04, we bowled well enough to win the 17 series in India and our batsmen simply weren't good enough.

Cummins is great but so is Kagiso Rabada. So underrated. And only 28.

5e7fcba3c3bf26ab142bddee2827e319.jpg

d5d69840da7229c46aa31dfc81e19046.jpg

People will get sick of me saying this but the number missing from Rabada’s graphic there is the 38 under the strike rate column. That is just insane

Cummins is a better bowler than Rabada.

Based on what?
There’s not much between them and I think you could mount an argument that his efforts in India and Pakistan give Cummins a claim but Rabada did well in Sri Lanka where Cummins was played like a club bowler, and Rabada’s strike rate is 9 balls better than Cummins. Even allowing for playing in SA, that’s an un-ignorable figure.

I sometimes feel in order to fully appreciate the greatness of Dennis Lillee, you had to live in the time. I witnessed Lillee's entire career in which there were some wonderful quicks around the world, but Lillee was the standout. To be corny perhaps, but Lillee was their king. You hear greats such as Richard Hadlee say pretty much the same thing.

His ability to take on a Test match and turn it around was second to none. His ferocious competitiveness and will to win was almost scary. Sure, he did some silly things at times like the aluminum bat and Javed Miandad incidents, but in general he was simply the greatest quick bowler I've ever seen, and I have no doubts in saying that. It's difficult for me to imagine anyone better in the game's history.

Despite someone yesterday thinking I was criticising him - I wasn’t, he’s obviously one of the greatest bowlers ever - do you not think it a bit of a question mark that he took basically all of his wickets in two countries?

I know Bradman scored all of his runs in Australia and England but when you’re 40 runs better than everyone else with your average you can make them anywhere you like. And also, you can only play where your team goes.

For same reason people tend to give more credit to elgars home runs over warners home runs i rate cummins over rabada, phat you yourself said it in another thread that elgars home record is impressive due to how tough decks can be, they are simply much better decks for fast bowlers than australia's decks so cummins is better bowler as he consistently does it on less helpful decks.

Not a lot in it between two but on flatter deck no current bowler in world i would pick over cummins.

This result was a nightmare for them when we won easy they say it means nothing and it's boring when we lose they want Cummins sacked so tight win is worst case scenario for them.
Yep especially considering that Cummins was our catalyst for our tight win

Rabada's still dangerous on home decks with plenty of movement, but overseas you gets fewer of those pitches, and since his mid-2018 back injury, he can't muster up the extra pace to run through sides on flat wickets, especially when the ball was reversing.

Which is why he was dangerous on the GABBA greentop, but completely impotent afterwards.

It’s still the only bad overseas tour he’s had beyond one in India and one in Pakistan.

He broke 140 against India a few times at Centurion and was generally between 135-140 for most of it while I was watching. He’s got that gear in him but relies on it less

For same reason people tend to give more credit to elgars home runs over warners home runs i rate cummins over rabada, phat you yourself said it in another thread that elgars home record is impressive due to how tough decks can be, they are simply much better decks for fast bowlers than australia's decks so cummins is better bowler as he consistently does it on less helpful decks.

Not a lot in it between two but on flatter deck no current bowler in world i would pick over cummins.

Probably because South Africa is the hardest place on the planet for an opening batsman would be my guess, and Elgar himself is not rated in general nearly as high as David Warner in general cricket circles. So people will observe ‘Dean Elgar is at very best a real grafter who will never win any beauty contest as a batsman and will retire with a pretty unflattering record full stop but if nothing else has done well in a country where for the duration of his career, the new ball has been very hard to bat against.’

And Warner himself is rightly credited with having acquitted himself very well IN South Africa when he’s toured there with the bat.

Rabada has done it almost everywhere too though mate.

Cummins has one hole in his record - Sri Lanka, Rabada has two- Pakistan and India. There’s really nothing else between them. Rabada has had 4 overseas series in his entire career where he’s averaged over 32, 2 in india and 1 in Pakistan. The other was in NZ and he managed to rectify that on his next visit. Cummins has had 3, one in SL, one in India, one in England. There’s very little between them.

I do tend to agree to a large extent I think Cummins can do a bit more of the backbreaking stuff right at the moment and get wickets through sheer willpower, there have been times in the past where Rabada has done that too: the test in Perth where Steyn got injured and he bowled them to victory was one I can think of, though generally when you think of Rabada winning test matches you think of the ball swinging and seaming all over the shop so I get what you’re saying

Remove this Banner Ad

Back