Test Surely the Cummins/McDonald captain/coach setup is the worst in Australian Test history

Remove this Banner Ad

Selection - which both McDonald and Cummins (contrary to the CA spin) have a say in as well as Bailey and Hohns, remains the elephant in the room.

Warner's inexplicable rails run over the past two years, dropping Murphy after Cummins mishandled him at Headingley (and because they didn't want to drop Warner for Green and roll the dice on Head or Marnus opening), persisting with Hazelwood despite him being out of form and Neser stringing quality cricket together.

They've completely misread form and conditions at Sydney, Nagpur, Old Trafford and the Oval over the past 12 months, to the detriment of the players on the fringes and the team itself.

It's great these guys all draw something from being mates and coming up through junior cricket together, but it shouldn't come at the expense of addressing deficiencies in the playing XI.

The biggest issue for me moving forward is does McDonald and the selectors along with Cummins have the balls to drop some players and blood new ones?

We have an ageing playing group and we need change over the next 2 seasons before the next Ashes...does Mcdonald have the balls to drop Warner?? and will Cummins drop his mates ???

Mcdonald is a bit of a yes man for me who gets along well with the playing group....thats all well and good but sometimes you need to be prick for the betterment of the side

Thats the major issue for me

The biggest issue for me moving forward is does McDonald and the selectors along with Cummins have the balls to drop some players and blood new ones?

We have an ageing playing group and we need change over the next 2 seasons before the next Ashes...does Mcdonald have the balls to drop Warner?? and will Cummins drop his mates ???

Mcdonald is a bit of a yes man for me who gets along well with the playing group....thats all well and good but sometimes you need to be prick for the betterment of the side

The latest Grandstand Cricket podcast is worth a listen. One of the points they make is that the selectors are too close to the playing group and therefore disinclined to make the tough calls. One mooted option is for McDonald to remain coach but no longer be a selector.

I think the tactics during the game were largely sound.

I mean, Australia was 2-0 up and the theory went that England would be the architects of their own downfall. Australia were odds on to chase that score down at the Oval until the ball was changed.

In the future, I'd like to see a team picked specifically for English conditions, as we do when we go to India or Sri Lanka.

I think the fast bowlers needed to succeed in England are somewhat different to what we need when playing in Australian conditions.

I think for a lot of the series, our bowlers did bowl too short, back of a length - but the pitches were slow and flat.

In the future I'd love to see us take a more horses for courses selection in England - rather than simply picking back of a length pace bowlers. Id be inclined to get some more swing bowlers into the side, who operate a fuller length - it is a tough one.

I think the tactics during the game were largely sound.

I mean, Australia was 2-0 up and the theory went that England would be the architects of their own downfall. Australia were odds on to chase that score down at the Oval until the ball was changed.

In the future, I'd like to see a team picked specifically for English conditions, as we do when we go to India or Sri Lanka.

I think the fast bowlers needed to succeed in England are somewhat different to what we need when playing in Australian conditions.

I think for a lot of the series, our bowlers did bowl too short, back of a length - but the pitches were slow and flat.

In the future I'd love to see us take a more horses for courses selection in England - rather than simply picking back of a length pace bowlers. Id be inclined to get some more swing bowlers into the side, who operate a fuller length - it is a tough one.
We had one performing just fine in county cricket....

Michael-Nesser-Test1819.ashx

Perfect squad decision making

Carey dropped
Inglis huge in the knockouts

Not picking Stoinis in the final

Etc

Lol some of that's good, some of that's a bit silly. We should have lost the ashes and who exactly have we played at home? The worst Windies and Saffa sides for decades? Literally anyone here could have coached those wins.

Lol some of that's good, some of that's a bit silly. We should have lost the ashes and who exactly have we played at home? The worst Windies and Saffa sides for decades? Literally anyone here could have coached those wins.
The South Africa who finished third in the WTC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The South Africa who finished third in the WTC.
With an 8-6-1 record. They were horrific in Australia. You tell me with a straight face that south African team beats any of their previous teams from now to the 90s.

They have always had world class bowlers or batters. They have neither right now.

HAHAHAHA come on mate.
Coulda shoulda woulda didn't. England only came to play when they couldn't retain it.
Both sides had a narrow win chasing, both sides had a solid but narrow win bowling last.
2-2 was absolutely right.

Also, 'worst' South African side in 'decades'??
They were narrowly third in the WTC.
Unbeaten at home, including beating India.
Drew in NZ early 2022, 2-1 loss in England Aug/Sept 2022.

Yeah actions prove larger than words

that was a fantastic achievement and took balls from cummins

credit where credit is due that was a huge win

love the inglis huge in the knockouts...he was great

I was shocked Carey was dropped, and remained so until the knockouts. Proved me 100% wrong.

HAHAHAHA come on mate.
Coulda shoulda woulda didn't. England only came to play when they couldn't retain it.
Both sides had a narrow win chasing, both sides had a solid but narrow win bowling last.
2-2 was absolutely right.

Also, 'worst' South African side in 'decades'??
They were narrowly third in the WTC.
Unbeaten at home, including beating India.
Drew in NZ early 2022, 2-1 loss in England Aug/Sept 2022.
You're only ignoring the rain to suit your cummins is the greatest narrative, if it was the other way round no doubt you'd be saying how unlucky he was.

Name the world class players south Africa have compared to their previous sides?

Smith, Pollock, Rhodes, Kallis, Ntini, Steyne, Morkel, Philander, De Kock, De Villiers, Amla etc.

They turned up with a side that wouldn't have beaten the worst Australian side from in the last 40 years.

You're only ignoring the rain to suit your cummins is the greatest narrative, if it was the other way round no doubt you'd be saying how unlucky he was.

Name the world class players south Africa have compared to their previous sides?

Smith, Pollock, Rhodes, Kallis, Ntini, Steyne, Morkel, Philander, De Kock, De Villiers, Amla etc.

They turned up with a side that wouldn't have beaten the worst Australian side from in the last 40 years.

Rabada/Nortje/Jansen/Ngidi/Maharaj (and/or Harmer) is an excellent attack on paper, even if they didn't bowl like it.

Their batting was the problem.

“Should have lost the ashes” is up there with “moral victors” or lost “due the conditions”. Throw in a brave loss, injuries made a difference and a rub of the green to complete the utter bullshit response.

The paine/Langer era side couldn't even beat India b side in our own conditions could only imagine what people would have said if Cummins was in charge for that weak debacle of a series.

Matthew Hayden's comment bemoaning the fact there's no Aussie legend on the coaching staff has not aged well. Andy Flower is the last coach of a visiting team to win a test series in India albeit nearly 11 years ago and he has experience coaching in the IPL so having him around was a shrewd decision.

Matthew Hayden's comment bemoaning the fact there's no Aussie legend on the coaching staff has not aged well. Andy Flower is the last coach of a visiting team to win a test series in India albeit nearly 11 years ago and he has experience coaching in the IPL so having him around was a shrewd decision.
Hayden whinges because its his mate that got sacked.

He cannot comprehend that Langer pissed off a lot of players or that its no longer his era, the man is out of touch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back