Coach Daisy Pearce possible assistant coach at Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Daisy outshines her male counterparts week in and week out with her analysis of the game. Her ability on the field is great and definitely appears to be a 'natural footballer'. Definitely the best candidate for one of the first women in an assistant couching role, and I would absolutely love to see her in a head coaching role if she succeeds accordingly.

There won’t be another Daisy. She played against guys as a kid and went well. She carries herself very well at all times. She is a leader full stop. Could coach AFL right now. Some people just have it - she is one. Also, helps to have that respect. I suspect Daisy will coach AFL sooner than later. Cannot see many following in her footsteps though. Daisy has respect and has never ever demanded it. Coaching material. She will be the only female coach of an AFL side in the next 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There won’t be another Daisy. She played against guys as a kid and went well. She carries herself very well at all times. She is a leader full stop. Could coach AFL right now. Some people just have it - she is one. Also, helps to have that respect. I suspect Daisy will coach AFL sooner than later. Cannot see many following in her footsteps though. Daisy has respect and has never ever demanded it. Coaching material. She will be the only female coach of an AFL side in the next 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
As a senior coach? No one can come from no coaching to head AFL coach, look at Hird and Voss.

Will it also involve daisy playing for the cat's aflw team?

If Brent Stanton is an AFL assistant coach anyone can, mark Neeld was another who had no football IQ on the ground and was a senior coach

maybe daisy should have coached bright seniors this year as well, to get some experience

Chris Fegan off the top of my head. Ken Hinkley hardly had a stunning AFL career either.

Also he is gone now thanks to Covid but Lloyd Perris was similar. Was on the Swans list but due to injury never played a game. However when he retired he became an assistant coach and was one for around 5 years I think. All on the back of never having played an AFL game and never having been a coach.
He just came top 5 in the Brownlow a couple of years and was aa half back, ken was a bloody good player, compared to clarko bevo and McCrae

You don’t reckon coaching at vfl level is more appropriate for someone who has never coached or played at a high level before?
I’d say an assistant coaching role at the top level is the right pathway. I’m sure she’ll be well supported and trained like any one else coming into the role.

I don’t think any club would be giving her such a role purely of of goodwill or as some kind of PR stunt. If she gets the role, she’s done enough to prove her worth - stuff that’s happened behind closed doors and more than the knowledge and analysis she shows during broadcasts!

Has there been an announcement of Daisy’s retirement from playing ?.

She’d make a great development coach, but until she retires from playing, it’s all talk.

Has there been an announcement of Daisy’s retirement from playing ?.

She’d make a great development coach, but until she retires from playing, it’s all talk.
If the rumour has credence, then I assume this is one of the issues she is wrestling with

Chris Fegan off the top of my head. Ken Hinkley hardly had a stunning AFL career either.

Also he is gone now thanks to Covid but Lloyd Perris was similar. Was on the Swans list but due to injury never played a game. However when he retired he became an assistant coach and was one for around 5 years I think. All on the back of never having played an AFL game and never having been a coach.
Would still be remarkable if she made a successful assistant coach. Daisy has not played at a standard anywhere even close to decent local footy. I would say it’s like asking someone who’s played under 14s standard local footy but has watched plenty of the game to then coach someone to be better at the elite level. All of the previous examples mentioned have played at a pretty good standard at least.
good luck to her but it’s a big mountain to climb

And they probably decided that with half the wage not going against the soft cap it is worth the risk.

I mean potentially she is an extra coach rather than a replacement coach.
This is a good point. With Eddie Betts also outside the soft cap, Geelong are doing exactly what the AFL would have hoped.

Looks like Geelong have offered a contract for Daisy Pearce to be an assistant coach.

Is this a good move? She is definitely knowledgeable but with only 38 games in what is really an amateur league and doing her certificate 3 in coaching, is she actually qualified to be an assistant coach?

This will be an interesting one to watch if she gets the job

Would like to hear what the Geelong supporters feel about it

Love it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only issue I can see is if there is something in the players minds that think they know more than her and they might not listen to her direction as much. That would be my only concern but I think the players are professional enough now to understand they listen or play reserves.

It will happen eventually but this would be a first I believe so interesting to see how it goes

I've noticed her as the boundary rider talking to Geelong players leaving the field after games, in particular Selwood and Danger and there is a lot of warmth between them.

I heard part of an interview with Joel the other day and he strongly endorsed her.

Well Fagan spent 17 years as an assistant coach, and played at a much much higher standard, so incredibly dumb comparison.

Daisy has played at the highest level available to her for over a decade and a half and dominated.

In 2005 as a 16 year old she was named BOG in the VWFL premier grade gf.

Good luck to her. The key aspect though is that gender is entirely irrelevant to success here imo. Whether she succeeds or not will be based on her skills and application of same, and the support structures around her. There are enough examples to show that you don’t need to play AFL in order to coach (senior or assistant) at the highest level, and to succeed, noting that there are a plethora of coaches who played AFL and who shat the bed as head coach.

Daisy has played at the highest level available to her for over a decade and a half and dominated.

In 2005 as a 16 year old she was named BOG in the VWFL premier grade gf.

"highest level available to her", or in the real world, an extremely poor level. Only in the last few years has AFLW even began to get close to a decent standard and professionalism, and she spent most of her career at the level far below that.

Amusing that some folk in here think the TFL is a "high level" .

A fair bit of mental gymnastics is required for people wanting to criticise Daisy.
She's a star.

Plenty of very ordinary male assistants out there.
Going back a couple of decades it was a pretty good standard. Dropped off enormously these days obviously.

Last edited:
Physical capability and mental capability are two separate things. That’s why Daisy’s potential selection can still be a meritorious selection. Yes the AFLW standard is much lower than the AFL, but that doesn’t mean Pearce’s strategising is automatically not the AFL standard. I personally think her commentating on the game shows that she has some good insights into the game.

Would still be remarkable if she made a successful assistant coach. Daisy has not played at a standard anywhere even close to decent local footy. I would say it’s like asking someone who’s played under 14s standard local footy but has watched plenty of the game to then coach someone to be better at the elite level. All of the previous examples mentioned have played at a pretty good standard at least.
good luck to her but it’s a big mountain to climb
Ha what a joke, I've played senior major league footy, I was down kicking the footy with my kids at Torquay, and some fringe aflw players were training, their skills were top shelf, daisy seems most of the time to provide a different insight into the game than the duck and lingy, also with aflw and AFL played at different times of the year, why couldn't she do both, except maybe play at the cat's

Ha what a joke, I've played senior major league footy, I was down kicking the footy with my kids at Torquay, and some fringe aflw players were training, their skills were top shelf, daisy seems most of the time to provide a different insight into the game than the duck and lingy, also with aflw and AFL played at different times of the year, why couldn't she do both, except maybe play at the cat's
I’ve played at two clubs with women’s sides that had players drafted to AFLW & VFLW and have watched a heap of women’s footy over the years. Im actually a fan of women’s footy and what the future will be. Even done some coaching. An under 18 mens side would comfortably beat an AFLW side. Less so in the last season or two.

That’s a discussion for another thread though.

As I said in a previous post, it would be a remarkable effort if Daisy was to successfully fill the role. She is not the first woman to do it though from memory so it’s not impossible

Last edited:
I suspect the latter. That's not to diminish her football knowledge, but I doubt meritocracy is the only criteria here.
Absolutely, but meritocracy has never been the only criteria in footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back