Geelong haven't sacked a head coach since 1988

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard this yesterday and thought it couldn't possibly be true given how often clubs sack coaches. I looked it up and saw we've only had four coaches since we sacked John Devine in 1988.

Malcolm Blight, Gary Ayres and Mark Thompson all resigned as coach. None of them were sacked and given how successful Chris Scott's coaching tenure has been, there is zero chance of him being sacked as once his time at Geelong is done, he'll leave the club on his own terms.

To put this in perspective, Carlton have had 10 senior coaches over the last 35 years. Out of those only Jesaulenko and Parkin resigned and left the club on their own terms.

Walls, Brittain, Pagan, Ratten, Malthouse, Bolton and Teague were all sacked by Carlton, with Carlton having sacked their last six consecutive coaches. If Voss gets sacked it'll mean Carlton have sacked their last seven coaches in a row.

Another example of a club known to sack their coach is Richmond who have had eight senior coaches in the last 35 years. Soon to be nine now that Hardwick has resigned.

Bartlett, Jeans, Northey, Walls and Gieschen were all sacked by Richmond in the space of a decade, but Richmond haven't sacked their coach since 1999 which is testament to how much more stable and well run their club is now compared to back then. Frawley, Wallace and Hardwick all resigned and left on their own terms.

Port Adelaide have only had four coaches since entering the AFL and are another example of a stable/well run club. Mark Williams is the only coach they've sacked given both Cahill and Primus resigned on their own terms, and it's hard to see Ken Hinkley being sacked given he has a good record having never coached Port a minimum of 10 wins every year during his tenure.

With Geelong having not sacked a head coach since 1988, Richmond since 1999 and Port Adelaide since 2010, it's amazing to think Carlton have sacked four coaches since any of these clubs last sacked their coach. I believe St Kilda have sacked three coaches since 2010.
Neither Jeans or Northey were sacked by Richmond

So how many coaches have quit before they were pushed in the modern (AFL) era?

Blight
Matthews (? )
Roos
Thompson
Hardwick

Any others?
I know this sounds pedantic but "quit before they were pushed" sounds as if they resigned expecting to be sacked. I'm assuming given the names you mean coaches who just resigned without any pressure on them.

Sheedy at GWS if he counts could be one, also Barrasi at Sydney. Parkin was an out and out retirement too.

The likes of Lyon and Malthouse jumped ship if that counts.

Was Worsford under pressure when he resigned from the West Coast role?

I know this sounds pedantic but "quit before they were pushed" sounds as if they resigned expecting to be sacked. I'm assuming given the names you mean coaches who just resigned without any pressure on them.

Sheedy at GWS if he counts could be one, also Barrasi at Sydney. Parkin was an out and out retirement too.

The likes of Lyon and Malthouse jumped ship if that counts.

Was Worsford under pressure when he resigned from the West Coast role?
Yes. I mean "resigned".

Just a turn of phrase I used "quit before they were pushed" based on in an assumption at some point everyone would have to leave a job. I don't know of many coaches who have died on the job or loved forever.

So everyone would be inevitably "pushed" at some point even if by the reality of mortality.

But this seems like semantics . I think everyone knows the question I'm asking.

I think you can add Worsfold to the list. Good addition.

So the distinction is resigned v jumped ship

Some may say Hardwick jumped ship but we have no evidence of that.

That's because they've been so successful

season 7 GIF

Well good on them I suppose. They've been perennially successful since 1988, never too far off a premiership. Only Geelong and Sydney manage to truly 'rebuild on the run' successfully, almost never missing finals, but Geelong have been doing it for longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back