Next Coach Sacked - 2023 edition

Next coached sacked or forced to resign.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkson was the exception. Most others don’t survive. I feel like the fact that Mitchell isn’t going into games with an attitude that winning doesn’t matter is what makes him different however.

It really depends on the brief from the club. Some clubs claim they are hiring a coach for a rebuild and then get jelly-legged after a couple of seasons. A proper rebuild can take 5-7 years. Hawthorn stayed the course with Clarkson and they will stay the course with Mitchell.

Clarkson also had priority picks and wasn’t working out of sub standard facilities at the time.
Good luck to Mitchell …

Tell me about these priority picks. Which years were they and who did we get? We certainly didn't spunk a handful of number one picks up against the wall.

Tell me about these priority picks. Which years were they and who did we get? We certainly didn't spunk a handful of number one picks up against the wall.
Hawthorn priority pick players include:
  1. Luke Hodge (priority pick 1 granted to Freo for 2001, ontraded to Hawthorn). Not a priority pick granted to Hawthorn, though the system worked out for them there.
  2. Jarryd Roughead (pick 2 2004, won 4 flags for Hawks). Hawks would use actual first pick on Buddy Franklin (2 flags), compensation pick for whom would go to Saints for Ben McEvoy (2 more flags).
  3. Xavier Ellis (pick 3 2005, 2008 premiership players, leading possession getter for Hawks in the Grand Final). Hawks actual pick 6 was used on Beau Dowler, who did not do much.

Hawthorn priority pick players include:
  1. Luke Hodge (priority pick 1 granted to Freo for 2001, ontraded to Hawthorn). Not a priority pick granted to Hawthorn, though the system worked out for them there.
  2. Jarryd Roughead (pick 2 2004, won 4 flags for Hawks). Hawks would use actual first pick on Buddy Franklin (2 flags), compensation pick for whom would go to Saints for Ben McEvoy (2 more flags).
  3. Xavier Ellis (pick 3 2005, 2008 premiership players, leading possession getter for Hawks in the Grand Final). Hawks actual pick 6 was used on Beau Dowler, who did not do much.

So Hodge was a clever trade and not a priority pick. It had nothing to do with the system working out for them at all. Freo was happy to trade and Hawthonr did a deal, giving up Trent Croad plus a second round pick IIRC.. We got Croad back but that is largely because Femantle completely mismanged the guy, trying to turn him into a key forward when we was in fact an AA calibre CHB.

Roughead is a yes.

Ellis is a yes but was hardly a superstar.

Hawthorn did not build it's era on priority picks. I find it more than a little amusing that a Carlton fan decided to throw that out there given how many number one draft picks they have butchered over the years.

Clever trade sure. But also not sure Freo does that trade without the priority pick system. I know Dogs benefited from the old priority system in 2016, albeit indirectly. As did West Coast, Richmond, Collingwood for their flags. Carlton is the exception in that they are about the only ones who didn't benefit from it.

Clever trade sure. But also not sure Freo does that trade without the priority pick system. I know Dogs benefited from the old priority system in 2016, albeit indirectly. As did West Coast, Richmond, Collingwood for their flags. Carlton is the exception in that they are about the only ones who didn't benefit from it.

Yeah but you can't claim that Hawthorn benefited from the system with regard to Hodge. Freo benefited from the system, they got the pick. Any team was free to trade with them for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

drought breaking premiership.

they've stuck with him too long (just like the eagles and Simpson) but lets not forget 2016

They made another Grand Final just 2 seasons ago. Pretty sure theyve only played in 4 in their history, so hes done an amazing job to have half of those.

Back