Opinion AFL 2023 Finals Week 3 - Liked, Learnt, Hated PRELIMINARY FINALS EDITION

Remove this Banner Ad

Learnt: Brisbane's backline is probably better than Collingwood's forwards at the moment and could well be the difference next week.

This. Our defence has improved drastically this season. Certainly can be the difference if we can hold Collingwood to a gettable total. I'm less worried about our back line then our forward line performing.

I LOVED the way umpires did not reward the duckers and high-tackle free kick milkers.

"Nope... You leaned into it," said one umpire.

Commentators and fans seemed to lose their minds over these non-decisions, but I welcomed it.

ABOUT BLOODY TIME!!!

Pissweak frees for minor high contact is one of worst aspects of AFL footy, especially when half the players are deliberately trying to milk these free kicks. When umpires suddenly stop rewarding them with bullshit frees, that's when our great game goes to another level with 36 players going in fiercely to every contest, trying to win the ball, not the free kick.

Last edited:
Hated - 1- Brisbane playing songs after each goal during a final - leave that garbage for Disneyland
I agree with this, shouldn’t happen in a final. A final is supposed to be an afl game not a partisan game - you get the advantage of hosting at your home ground - you shouldn’t have that crap.

I agree with this, shouldn’t happen in a final. A final is supposed to be an afl game not a partisan game - you get the advantage of hosting at your home ground - you shouldn’t have that crap.
Why not? Can confirm the live crowd love it. Was a pretty special moment the other week when the entire stadium was singing Country Roads.

Can’t remember a game let alone a final where the umpires have copped it as much in the media. Friday nights prelim was one if the blatant displays of biased we’ve seen.

Can’t remember a game let alone a final where the umpires have copped it as much in the media. Friday nights prelim was one if the blatant displays of biased we’ve seen.
Has there been a sporting code anywhere where clubs/fans etc have taken the referees to court for bias ... be entertaining to watch the prosecutions demonstrations of 'bias' and the defense trying to show nothing to see here :)

Has there been a sporting code anywhere where clubs/fans etc have taken the referees to court for bias ... be entertaining to watch the prosecutions demonstrations of 'bias' and the defense trying to show nothing to see here :)

Mathews Hodge Malcolm Blight coming out and openly condemning umpires is something Ive not seen before.

Mathews Hodge Malcolm Blight coming out and openly condemning umpires is something Ive not seen before.
I suppose some kind of geas on the umpires so that any time they make/not make a decision which they know to be wrong/biased etc (ie not a mistake a deliberate choice) they feel a sudden stabbing pain in their gut and fall the ground writhing like an Italian soccer player in a final for about 30 seconds then it releases them would be out of the question?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knowledge: The neck is not sacrosanct when its attached to Toby

Heart: The sanctimonious response..... we don't put the whistle away..... by(10x GF fluoro) Stevic on AFL 360 to the above and others; reinforces that central fluoros are as in touch as Chief Campaigners Big Banking Phil and Fast Flying Joycey

Frown: field and goal inaccuracies: The grounds and conditions are excellent, the best players of the sport should not be regularly soiling themselves by foot.

wouldn’t be a case to answer for because it’d be very difficult to prove that they had directives to go one way or another, unless it was sent to them.

i agree that the umpiring was bad across both games but their excuse will always be that “we’ll miss things” and “in the moment it didn’t look like a violation of the rules”

Nothing wrong with the crowd singing it, I feel that the stadium itself shouldn’t be involved.
Why shouldn't they be involved?

If you attend a game of football at a rival teams home ground, you need to expect some type of activities like this. It's part of the home ground advantage and every club does their own thing in some form.

Why shouldn't they be involved?

If you attend a game of football at a rival teams home ground, you need to expect some type of activities like this. It's part of the home ground advantage and every club does their own thing in some form.
Yeah in home and away, just don’t think it belongs in finals

Just because they have the right, doesn't mean they should do it.
Their right doesn't change it from being the very worst thing there is in football.
Very worst thing there is in football you reckon?
I get it that you are salty at the team that ended your season but come on. There is bigger things to be upset about than goal songs at a venue your team only plays at once every year or two.

Very worst thing there is in football you reckon?
I get it that you are salty at the team that ended your season but come on. There is bigger things to be upset about than goal songs at a venue your team only plays at once every year or two.
You think I only watch Brisbane games when they play Carlton?
It's got nothing to do with last week's result. The music would have been equally as bad if we had won (unless we kept you goalless, obviously).
But there is nothing worse in football.

You think I only watch Brisbane games when they play Carlton?
It's got nothing to do with last week's result. The music would have been equally as bad if we had won (unless we kept you goalless, obviously).
But there is nothing worse in football.
So something that the Lions fans love that the opposition fans hate ... don't really see the issue from our perspective... ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back