Coach Daisy Pearce possible assistant coach at Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Her commentating shows she knows what she is talking about. I think the AFL world is in a position now that this shouldn’t be an issue but you do have those people that think the women shouldn’t be around mens football to this extent
That doesn't necessarily translate to coaching skills, which is a completely different skill set to being knowledgable and able to talk about the game.

On the surface, her resume on paper isn't as impressive as many others, e.g. what teams has she coached or been an assistant at before? What game experience does she have compared to other untried coaches? Was she a captain/leader, etc?

I am assuming she must have other skills that she has demonstrated that you can't see on paper necessarily, like tactical nous, communication skills, empathy, ability to inspire and connect, ability to influence and teach, etc.

Plenty of AFL assistant coaches have no previous background in coaching.
The counter point would be that they have more experience in a professional elite environment over a longer period (e.g. 100 AFL games is more relevant than AFLW games).

As I said above, Geelong must have seen/ Daisy has shown other valuable skills that you can't necessarily track on a paper resume.

ok wasn't aware of this

Will be interesting to see how she goes if she gets a gig. Tbh I'm not wowed by her special comments, she speaks well but doesn't really give the viewer anything that isn't plainly obvious. Doesn't mean she doesn't have a good footy brain though I guess

That may just be Channel 7. They are pretty determined to attract a broad audience and may even instruct their talent not to overcomplicate the analysis. Their special comments have always left a bit to be desired.

That doesn't necessarily translate to coaching skills, which is a completely different skill set to being knowledgable and able to talk about the game.

On the surface, her resume on paper isn't as impressive as many others, e.g. what teams has she coached or been an assistant at before? What game experience does she have compared to other untried coaches? Was she a captain/leader, etc?

I am assuming she must have other skills that she has demonstrated that you can't see on paper necessarily, like tactical nous, communication skills, empathy, ability to inspire and connect, ability to influence and teach, etc.
She’s been in the VFLW system for a long time, and also the AFLW. Captain and leader in both. I suspect there are a few people that have had the opportunity to form an impression on her capability. I truly doubt Geelong would be considering this if they didn’t think she can add value.

When you say 'many others' who exactly are you talking about? Her pathway would be much the same as most players who go into coaching. Very few players have previous coaching experience before they get a small assistant role at a club. Pl

And yes she has captaincy experience and both Melbourne and Darebin.

It is a lot of fuss about nothing.

She would be a +1 effectively on an internship. Largely paid for by the AFL and outside the soft cap.

I can't believe this ruffles supporters feathers and they don't blink about Harry Taylor being made head of conditioning when he is effectively only a physio graduate without industry practice.

When you say 'many others' who exactly are you talking about? Her pathway would be much the same as most players who go into coaching. Very few players have previous coaching experience before they get a small assistant role at a club. Pl

And yes she has captaincy experience and both Melbourne and Darebin.
She probably has the skills which is why she's being hired.

You don't think 40 odd games in a semi professional league would be equivalent of 200+ AFL games in an elite professional almost year round environment though do you? Shaun Grigg, Chris Newman, basically any former AFL player that becomes an assistant coach would have a more relevant resume.

However as I said, she probably has other skills that stand out, aside from the football experience.

Looks like Geelong have offered a contract for Daisy Pearce to be an assistant coach.

Is this a good move? She is definitely knowledgeable but with only 38 games in what is really an amateur league and doing her certificate 3 in coaching, is she actually qualified to be an assistant coach?

This will be an interesting one to watch if she gets the job

Would like to hear what the Geelong supporters feel about it

If the club thinks she would add value to what is mostly a new coaching group, sure, what's the issue?

She probably has the skills which is why she's being hired.

You don't think 40 odd games in a semi professional league would be equivalent of 200+ AFL games in an elite professional almost year round environment though do you? Shaun Grigg, Chris Newman, basically any former AFL player that becomes an assistant coach would have a more relevant resume.

However as I said, she probably has other skills that stand out, aside from the football experience.
I mean sure, but if you're going to set standards which are literally impossible for a woman to meet then you might as well just admit that the position discriminates based on sex.

She has had 10+ years in club environments in leadership roles and is being offered a job with heavy mentoring. She would basically be doing an apprenticeship. I think it's hard to argue she doesn't meet the qualifications for such a role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean sure, but if you're going to set standards which are literally impossible for a woman to meet then you might as well just admit that the position discriminates based on sex.

She has had 10+ years in club environments in leadership roles and is being offered a job with heavy mentoring. She would basically be doing an apprenticeship. I think it's hard to argue she doesn't meet the qualifications for such a role.
Calm down, relax, I didn't say any of that. This stemmed from my original comment which actually supported her, she's obviously got some skills that you can't see on a paper resume.

Calm down, relax, I didn't say any of that. This stemmed from my original comment which actually supported her, she's obviously got some skills that you can't see on a paper resume.
I'm relaxed lol. I was using the royal 'you' not a comment on you personally.

That may just be Channel 7. They are pretty determined to attract a broad audience and may even instruct their talent not to overcomplicate the analysis. Their special comments have always left a bit to be desired.
yeah would mke sense tbh

I remember hearing an interview with Gary Neville in the UK and he said his goal as a special comments man was to provide some explanation/commentary round stuff going on in a game that the normal viewer wouldn't pick up. That is what I want from an AFL special comments person, and we very rarely if ever get that during the AFL coverage

I can't see what a different opinion on things will be just because she is a female? I think Geelong have shown true progression on this. She knows football and if the players can respond to a different voice then it's worth having a go? My suspicion is Gill and Steve Hocking have cooked this one up between them, but it's not the worst idea i've heard. The AFLW needs a boost, IMO they should be playing on a modified playing field, but they should be still playing. Channel 7 thinks she's worth putting her commentary on prime time Friday nights, why not some sort of coaching role? If she can resonate with the players in a way not seen before, isn't that at least worth trying?

When Warnie comes out with his annual spray about John Buchanan’s non existent test career everyone roles their eyes because anyone with common sense knows a coach should be judged on their merits not what they did in a totally different vocation (playing). Why would people just assume she isn’t up to the job because she hasn’t played men’s football?

If the club thinks she would add value to what is mostly a new coaching group, sure, what's the issue?

The only issue I can see is if there is something in the players minds that think they know more than her and they might not listen to her direction as much. That would be my only concern but I think the players are professional enough now to understand they listen or play reserves.

It will happen eventually but this would be a first I believe so interesting to see how it goes

The counter point would be that they have more experience in a professional elite environment over a longer period (e.g. 100 AFL games is more relevant than AFLW games).

As I said above, Geelong must have seen/ Daisy has shown other valuable skills that you can't necessarily track on a paper resume.
And they probably decided that with half the wage not going against the soft cap it is worth the risk.

I mean potentially she is an extra coach rather than a replacement coach.

Last year's GF commentary was the worst ever. Almost nothing interesting was said all day despite this incredible grand final playing out before them. Much prefer NFL commentary which is both technical and entertaining, channel 7's offering is neither.

I'm not really a Daisy fan but she easily outshone the others in the GF with a bit of insight, I'd prefer her as an assistant coach to any of the other clowns on the commentary team that day.

Last year's GF commentary was the worst ever. Almost nothing interesting was said all day despite this incredible grand final playing out before them. Much prefer NFL commentary which is both technical and entertaining, channel 7's offering is neither.

I'm not really a Daisy fan but she easily outshone the others in the GF with a bit of insight, I'd prefer her as an assistant coach to any of the other clowns on the commentary team that day.
As someone who has listened to every call available of the Grand Final I recommend the TripleM Perth call which was also Dennis Commetti's last call. 😁

Remove this Banner Ad

Back