Roast Dermott Brereton: "Wayne Carey is a better analyst than Daisy Pearce"

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever Brereton says the truth is the opposite.

I cant stand him as a commentator. He is quite funny though, I lost count of the number of calls he makes and the exact opposite occurs right as he says it.

He will bag out a player " he wont have the distance with this kick" player easily kicks the goal.

A ruckman isnt tall enough, they then jump over a taller ruck and win the tap.

He's a dead set goose.
He was good when he came onto the scene. Really good. But that was 20 years ago

That's a complete fallacy that having more women in certain positions will bring in more viewers.

Zero proof of that.

There's a whole women's league that women hardly go and watch so if a whole league full of women can't bring in big viewing numbers I doubt having female boundary riders will be bringing in the crowds.

I said become invested in the game, ultimately we want the sport to appear accessible and a genuine option for both men and women.

Participation rates in women’s footy has skyrocketed since the AFLW started. I’m sure anecdotally we’ve all seen this occur at our own local clubs.

IMO the more we see women in all sorts of roles in football the more likely women are to actually participate in the game, instead of it just being a social event they might occasionally attend, or have on in the background.

I really enjoy the special comments and analysis of Daisy Pearce.
She makes tactical observations that T.V viewers often can't make themselves due to the limitations that television footage provides, I find that much more informative than a special comment on an aspect of the game that's within camera range that I've viewed myself.

I'm not a Daisy hater or lover, so I paid extra close attention on Friday night to gauge a better opinion of her work.

Late in the first quarter she said 'Jayden Short is running with Andrew Brayshaw, keeping him accountable. They are coming off the ground at the same time'.

This was after it was speculated early in the broadcast if Richmond would tag or attempt to curtail Brayshaw's influence.

Unfortunately for Daisy, Short and Brayshaw had been nowhere near one another aside from attending stoppages together a few times. I know this because I have both in Supercoach and was keeping a very close eye on their whereabouts.
She saw them come from the ground for a rest around the same time and simply made an assumption which she delivered as fact to those not paying attention.

It wasn't a good moment. It made me wonder just how many times those on special comments make completely incorrect calls that the majority of the audience wouldn't realise is made up on the spot.

Funniest part is Daisy, Dermott and Carey are all horrible. All 3 range between providing little/obvious insight at the higher end and downright baffling calls at the lower.

Derm is easily the most insufferable. Daisy whilst throwing in the odd howler spends the least time on the baffling side of the scale. It's a bit of a testament to how safe and bland most of her comments are though.

My point was he shouldn’t have commented at all. The only thing it achieved was giving some fairly odious comments more oxygen.

I don’t think Derm meant any harm, quite the opposite, but he shouldn’t have said anything.
You gotta wonder why they cold called Dermie for his view? Or, how many others they tried before they found one that would say something that could be interpreted as supporting Hunt's view.

That's a complete fallacy that having more women in certain positions will bring in more viewers.

Zero proof of that.

There's a whole women's league that women hardly go and watch so if a whole league full of women can't bring in big viewing numbers I doubt having female boundary riders will be bringing in the crowds.

That's an incredibly naive post.

TV networks (and almost all large organisations) know exactly what their customers and potential customers want.

They pay handsomely for the data to tell them. Data is the new oil, as they say.

Every time you hit Like, read an article, visit a website, even post comments - your genuine actions are being collected.

The days of market research are largely over, as they don't have to ask for your opinion anymore. They already know it.

Ch7 know exactly how to keep, and to grow their audience. As do the AFL. It's no guessing game.

The short sighted and ignorant narrative (almost certainly regurgitated from Sky News or the like) that having more women involved in footy does not attract more women viewers is so misguided.

The more women involved, the more girls feel welcome to play.

The more girls that play, the more interest in the game.
The more interest in the game, the more customers you have. More customers, more advertising dollars.

As for women not watching AFLW, I'm not sure of the point or relevance?

Including women isn't about women wanting to watch women. Although some may, it's about women feeling included in the sport. You feel included, you engage.

The ignorance, naivety and shirt sightedness that people show when wringing their hands over this stuff is just hilarious.

Don't worry dude. No one is trying to steal your manhood. The irony is, that all of this is largely driven by big business trying to make more money - not some scary woke hippies that want to take over the world.

Sorry to say, but you just get sucked in too easily.

TV networks (and almost all large organisations) know exactly what their customers and potential customers want.

They pay handsomely for the data to tell them. Data is the new oil, as they say.

Every time you hit Like, read an article, visit a website, even post comments - your genuine actions are being collected.

The days of market research are largely over, as they don't have to ask for your opinion anymore. They already know it.

Ch7 know exactly how to keep, and to grow their audience. As do the AFL. It's no guessing game.

The short sighted and ignorant narrative (almost certainly regurgitated from Sky News or the like) that having more women involved in footy does not attract more women viewers is so misguided.

The more interest in the game, the more customers you have. More customers, more advertising dollars.

Including women isn't about women wanting to watch women. Although some may, it's about women feeling included in the sport. You feel included, you engage.

The ignorance, naivety and shirt sightedness that people show when wringing their hands over this stuff is just hilarious.

Don't worry dude. No one is trying to steal your manhood. The irony is, that all of this is largely driven by big business trying to make more money - not some scary woke hippies that want to take over the world.

You're so full of s**t.

Just your statement that they know how to grow audiences alone shows you're clueless.

Crowds are down champ, less people watching the game.

But yeah you're on the ball of everything that's going on.

I don't think any self respecting male would be taking advice on manhood from someone like you.

You're so full of s**t.

Just your statement that they know how to grow audiences alone shows you're clueless.

I don't think any self respecting male would be taking advice on manhood from someone like you.
Oof this reads like you’re a boomer and will die by this post or you’re 17 and will cringe at this in a few years time.

There's lots of reasons for this.

And have you wondered why, when crowds are down and less people are watching - that they have responded by adding more female representation?

I wonder why that is?

You're telling me you haven't been to many football games without telling me you haven't been to many football games.

Newsflash, there's been large numbers of women at the football for a long time now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're so full of s**t.

You're just so naive. I'm guessing you're probably in your 60s or 70s and just haven't adapted to the changing world of technology - and/or you've just been taken hook line and sinker by the media.

People at the football is a very small piece of what Ch7 give a s**t about.

They want people watching screens, so they can sell their attention to advertisers.

More people paying attention, more advertising dollars.

The broader the audience, the broader the market for advertising material.

The world changes. It always has. It's never as scary as the media wants you to believe.

You're just so naive. I'm guessing you're probably in your 60s or 70s and just haven't adapted to the changing world of technology - and/or you've just been taken hook line and sinker by the media.

People at the football is a very small piece of what Ch7 give a s**t about.

They want people watching screens, so they can sell their attention to advertisers.

More people paying attention, more advertising dollars.

The broader the audience, the broader the market for advertising material.

The world changes. It always has. It's never as scary as the media wants you to believe.

You love to virtue signal and white knight don't you.

Mean while in the real world women have been going to the football in large numbers for a long time thus proving a the garbage you spew out plays no part in their attending the football or watching it.

I don't know a single woman who has had zero interest in football all of a sudden take interest in the game because some other woman is at a football club or on tv at the football.

Who thinks that happens?

Completely agree. Study after study of women in STEM work shows that an inability to see people like you achieving what you want is a major impediment for most.

You love to virtue signal and white knight don't you.

Mean while in the real world women have been going to the football in large numbers for a long time thus proving a the garbage you spew out plays no part in their attending the football or watching it.

I don't know a single woman who has had zero interest in football all of a sudden take interest in the game because some other woman is at a football club or on tv at the football.

Who thinks that happens?
You don't know any young girls?

I know dozens that had zero interest until 2-3 years ago. Now they play, and are into it.

Growing up I knew one young girl that played footy, and she was forced to retire at 11 because she wasn't allowed to play. One.

She lost interest very soon after.

This is the point you miss. It's not as simple, nor as short sighted as you seem to want to think it is.

The smart businesses embrace inclusion. They thrive. The old fashioned and short sighted ones die.

F**k, even Fox News has women and minorities on their shows! This is what makes me laugh. People are so easily sucked in and led by the media.

You don't know any young girls?

I know dozens that had zero interest until 2-3 years ago. Now they play, and are into it.

Growing up I knew one young girl that played footy, and she was forced to retire at 11 because she wasn't allowed to play. One.

She lost interest very soon after.

This is the point you miss. It's not as simple, nor as short sighted as you seem to want to think it is.

The smart businesses embrace inclusion. They thrive. The old fashioned and short sighted ones die.

F**k, even Fox News has women and minorities on their shows! This is what makes me laugh. People are so easily sucked in and led by the media.

I have a wife and daughters, none of them would relate to anything you claim.

Lots of women play basketball too, LOTS.

That doesn't mean they go and watch it. In fact there's been large numbers of women in many sports for a long time.

It's very easy to highlight that it never equated to rises in viewing numbers for those sports.

So your theory really doesn't hold any weight.

I said become invested in the game, ultimately we want the sport to appear accessible and a genuine option for both men and women.

Participation rates in women’s footy has skyrocketed since the AFLW started. I’m sure anecdotally we’ve all seen this occur at our own local clubs.

IMO the more we see women in all sorts of roles in football the more likely women are to actually participate in the game, instead of it just being a social event they might occasionally attend, or have on in the background.
It’s popularity has grossly over stated as the bae was very low to begin with

Remove this Banner Ad

Back