Club Legend
Jun 13, 2023
AFL Club
Richmond
Who is a better player out of (whole career):

J Riewoldt

J Kennedy

Hawkins

IF YOU SUPPORT RICHMOND, WC or CATS you CANNOT vote.

If you like you can rank them 1-3 and give your reasons

I thought they asked neutrals? Anyway mine would be Riewoldt/Hawkins can’t split, it’s not necessarily sitting on the fence but very even careers, just ahead of Kennedy.

• Banned
What if I vote for Hawkins, because he is the better player?

No sorry as the point is to avoid bias both for and against a player.

Eg. Cats supporters who think Hawkins is the best and can’t stand Richmond will just vote Kennedy and vice versa.

Just want to get an unbiased poll purely from neutrals.

STPer can you please unvote or something. You’ve already wrecked it. Cmon.
Tom Hawkins and Jack Riewoldt are near on identical but to help your cause I’ll go neutral and vote Josh Kennedy who despite being the lesser of the three had the highest peak for two years

I'd assume it's in hope of gaining ammunition in one of the 6 threads where Geelong and Richmond supporters spend their life arguing with one another going in circles for eternity simply because some stranger on the internet doesn't share their views.

Kennedy is simply in there to "Disguise" the real poll. :p

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins absolutely the best of the 3 there. His impact to those around him as well as the scoreboard is just immense.

If it means this much to you, why not just edit your OP with a live count? Otherwise seek help.

Dick measuring contest by a big man child.

I did this poll for a mate who didn’t know how to make one. So it’s a bit annoying that’s it’s now been wrecked.

Not a fan of those saying anyone is easily the best. Their respective records over their career stack up very, very closely and they are all elite forwards so for one to "easily" be the best immediately undersells the others.

Anyway, here is my order and rationale:

1. Tom Hawkins - All hard to split and he had the slowest start but has sustained near peak form for the longest. Now has 5 AA's (2 more than the other boys) and feels like he has an extra string or two more to his bow - with his ability to dominate forward hit outs and his near league leading efforts at providing assists for his team mates. With he and Riewoldt only playing 1 game difference, their stats are very close and very comparable (Hawkins just leading disposals, marks) and Riewoldt just leading goals (by 6) and tackles so the 50 odd goal assist difference, whilst not significant, is a minor point of difference. As Hawkins remains closest to his best now, I expect he will pull a little ahead with wha remains of their careers.

2. Jack Riewoldt - Undersold by many he stacks up very well and very closely to Hawkins. Has 3 AA's and 3 Colemans (compared to 5 and 1 for Hawkins). Has done it in good teams and bad, as the focal point and as the secondary target. Also provides for his team mates (more than people realise) and his peak years have been better than those of Hawkins in my view. Close second.

3. Josh Kennedy - 3rd in this list but no slight on him at all. Has 3 AA's and 2 Colemans. I would argue his peak years were the best of the lot. Only ranked 3rd as he was a pure full forward and kicking goals was his main attribute, yet has fewer goals than the above 2, who both have a slightly more rounded, versatile game (in that they pushed up the ground and played as secondary targets, supplying teammates, yet still kicked more goals). Even then, the fewer goals is only a result of fewer games as his goal average is slightly higher (2.5 vs 2.3)

Good comparison of players very close in standing that will all go down as elite hall of famers.

I thought they asked neutrals? Anyway mine would be Riewoldt/Hawkins can’t split, it’s not necessarily sitting on the fence but very even careers, just ahead of Kennedy.
Maybe you can split them if you consider that one of them has not always played in good teams?

This is the reason I rate Matthew Richardson's kicking 800 goals the hard way (only playing in one finals series) more than say Llyod's 900 something.

Back