Roast Dermott Brereton: "Wayne Carey is a better analyst than Daisy Pearce"

Remove this Banner Ad

Murder, rape, armed robbery. What if Wayne assaulted a male? Would everyone be calling for his head? Honestly I don't care what he's done, he is in my life as a sports commentator, not a friend, not a family member, I don't what he's done, no relevance to the job or my life. Just care about his football opinions, nothing else, his personal life has nothing to do with me.
To me this is the exact problem though. This kind of view pushes the idea in our society that it really doesn’t matter what you do, as long as you can kick a ball well we will still love you.

As I said, it isn’t a once off mistake that he made when he was younger and has learned from. It’s a pattern of behaviour, over a long period of time.

Also, this idea of it being his “personal life”, is bullshit. Assaulting innocent people falls out of the realm of someone’s personal life I’m pretty sure.

I respect that he was an awesome footballer. I respect he is incredibly knowledgeable about the game. But footy is more than a game, and for that reason you can’t ignore the other things he’s done.

To me this is the exact problem though. This kind of view pushes the idea in our society that it really doesn’t matter what you do, as long as you can kick a ball well we will still love you.

As I said, it isn’t a once off mistake that he made when he was younger and has learned from. It’s a pattern of behaviour, over a long period of time.

Also, this idea of it being his “personal life”, is bullshit. Assaulting innocent people falls out of the realm of someone’s personal life I’m pretty sure.

I respect that he was an awesome footballer. I respect he is incredibly knowledgeable about the game. But footy is more than a game, and for that reason you can’t ignore the other things he’s done.
Should he be able to get a job at all then? In any industry? He's the same person, why should he be able to get a job somewhere else if as you say, he shouldn't get one on tv?

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Should he be able to get a job at all then? In any industry? He's the same person, why should he be able to get a job somewhere else if as you say, he shouldn't get one on tv?

I’d say three points in response to this:

1. As I’ve said many times in this thread, my issue with him having a role as “expert commentator”, is that signals that we as a sport are holding him up as someone worthy or respect and admiration. He is not that.

2. He is given that role because of what he did on a football field in the past. Why would it not be okay to consider other things he’s done in the past before giving him that role?

3. Of course he should be allowed to work, however there are many professions which you are excluded from in society if you’ve done certain things. Im pretty sure if he wanted to become a teacher for example, he couldn’t do that. For the reasons I’ve discussed in this thread this is one job I don’t think he should have.

“So whilst I’m not, because I’ve done this for 20 years, either through trying to play footy or now working in the media, having your credibility question because you’re female isn’t a new thing that I’m just starting to deal with. I’m pretty thick-skinned when it comes to that.”

That's what Daisy Pearce said which shows that she doesn't get it at all.

It has nothing to do with being a woman. It's up to Channel 7 to decide what voice they want on their commentary team, which is fine its up to them. The issue with Daisy Pearce is that she takes the position of Expert Analyst and Special Comments.

Now I have about the same amount of expertise as Daisy to be able to do that role and I'm never going to get anywhere near the commentary box and if it was me it would be much more entertaining (not in good way).

And this is what people need to get past its not because she's a woman its because she doesn't have the expertise.

To extend this I think there are a few ex-player commentators who don't have the eloquence to be play by play commentators either.

Doesn't have the expertise? That's up for debate, most certainly.

And to claim you have the same expertise, well we'd all like to see your evidence.

I get what you're saying in your post, no it's not about gender, it is actually about expertise and merit.

Still you're making wild claims here.

Anyone want to comment on the fact that Hunt took aim at Pearce, but no other commentators? All the others are doing great, Richo, Jobe, BT etc. all good.

I still don’t understand what Derm hoped to achieve commenting on it. He could’ve said he likes Carey’s comments without involving Daisy.

See post 341, that will give you the answer.

As for your first question, this should've been your first question in the first place, seeing how this seems to be your main beef.

See post 341, that will give you the answer.

As for your first question, this should've been your first question in the first place, seeing how this seems to be your main beef.
I listened to it, and it still doesn’t explain it really. He’s for some bizarre reason tried to reinterpret Hunts mad ramblings - he’s a big boy, let him explain himself. The rest of it is a classic Derm word salad.

He didnt need to give Hunts rantings oxygen, for some reason he did, it was a stupid thing (imo) to do.

I don’t have a main beef, I do think there are plenty of worse commentators than Pearce. I think Derm is great in the right situation, his technical analysis can be fantastic, he should stick to that.

I listened to it, and it still doesn’t explain it really. He’s for some bizarre reason tried to reinterpret Hunts mad ramblings - he’s a big boy, let him explain himself. The rest of it is a classic Derm word salad.

He didnt need to give Hunts rantings oxygen, for some reason he did, it was a stupid thing (imo) to do.

I don’t have a main beef, I do think there are plenty of worse commentators than Pearce. I think Derm is great in the right situation, his technical analysis can be fantastic, he should stick to that.

Well then you didn't really listen to it.

He was approached by a media person to comment on what Rex said, he then further explains that the headline gave the incorrect impression of Derms comments.

He didn't comment just for the sake of backing wane and criticizing Pearce, his comments were requested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“So whilst I’m not, because I’ve done this for 20 years, either through trying to play footy or now working in the media, having your credibility question because you’re female isn’t a new thing that I’m just starting to deal with. I’m pretty thick-skinned when it comes to that.”

That's what Daisy Pearce said which shows that she doesn't get it at all.

It has nothing to do with being a woman. It's up to Channel 7 to decide what voice they want on their commentary team, which is fine its up to them. The issue with Daisy Pearce is that she takes the position of Expert Analyst and Special Comments.

Now I have about the same amount of expertise as Daisy to be able to do that role and I'm never going to get anywhere near the commentary box and if it was me it would be much more entertaining (not in good way).

And this is what people need to get past its not because she's a woman its because she doesn't have the expertise.

To extend this I think there are a few ex-player commentators who don't have the eloquence to be play by play commentators either.
She’s regarded as the best female player to ever play the game. What were your qualifications?

Well then you didn't really listen to it.

He was approached by a media person to comment on what Rex said, he then further explains that the headline gave the incorrect impression of Derms comments.

He didn't comment just for the sake of backing wane and criticizing Pearce, his comments were requested.
He can say no, that is an option. It is not a requirement that he says yes.

He then tried to reinterpret what Hunt had said in a more favourable light.

If we keep this to just football then Carey's actions at North undermines any credibility he otherwise has, however that doesn't mean he shouldn't be involved in the footy industry due to him being a premiership player.

He can say no, that is an option. It is not a requirement that he says yes.

He then tried to reinterpret what Hunt had said in a more favourable light.

If you listened, he was happy to comment because he thought it would be reported in good faith, he wasn't to know the headline would be misleading before the fact.

And if you listened, Derm criticized Hunts comments as not aligning with '2022' - certainly not interpreting what Rex said in more 'favourable light'. To paraphrase Derm suggested Hunts comments were blunt.

Sure, he defended the apparent pile on of Hunt. Doesn't make Derm the anti christ here though does it.

Again, if he was led to believe that his comments would be reported in good faith then he has every right to provide as asked.

Carey is remarkably well adjusted for his upbringing. A dad in out of prison who beat the crap out of him and his mum. One day his mum cant take it anymore and moves to another state, his dad tells her if she takes the kids or ever contacts them again he will kill them all. Then spends the next 15 years telling Wayne his mum left because hates him and never wants to see him again

If you listened, he was happy to comment because he thought it would be reported in good faith, he wasn't to know the headline would be misleading before the fact.

And if you listened, Derm criticized Hunts comments as not aligning with '2022' - certainly not interpreting what Rex said in more 'favourable light'. To paraphrase Derm suggested Hunts comments were blunt.

Sure, he defended the apparent pile on of Hunt. Doesn't make Derm the anti christ here though does it.

Again, if he was led to believe that his comments would be reported in good faith then he has every right to provide as asked.
My point was he shouldn’t have commented at all. The only thing it achieved was giving some fairly odious comments more oxygen.

I don’t think Derm meant any harm, quite the opposite, but he shouldn’t have said anything.

I’d say three points in response to this:

1. As I’ve said many times in this thread, my issue with him having a role as “expert commentator”, is that signals that we as a sport are holding him up as someone worthy or respect and admiration. He is not that.

2. He is given that role because of what he did on a football field in the past. Why would it not be okay to consider other things he’s done in the past before giving him that role?

3. Of course he should be allowed to work, however there are many professions which you are excluded from in society if you’ve done certain things. Im pretty sure if he wanted to become a teacher for example, he couldn’t do that. For the reasons I’ve discussed in this thread this is one job I don’t think he should have.
Well you are clearly wrong because he is allowed to work in this industry. He may not be allowed to be a teacher (or he may be ) but he is clearly allowed to be on tv.

So you have been proven categorically wrong based on all you've written above

Remove this Banner Ad

Back