Roast Dermott Brereton: "Wayne Carey is a better analyst than Daisy Pearce"

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah…. That is the point of threads like this, you know, right?

Anyway, hope you knock of the Dons.

Oh agreed, but your op and thread title doesn't reflect your posting.

Your posting gives the impression that you didn't like Hunts comments and Derms supposed defence of Hunt, not the opinion that Derm prefers wane as a commentator.

As I said from the start, should've had a different title and on a different board.

p.s Hope your mob knocks off ess, carl and richmond every time you play them. In fact hope every team does.

Oh agreed, but your op and thread title doesn't reflect your posting.

Your posting gives the impression that you didn't like Hunts comments and Derms supposed defence of Hunt, not the opinion that Derm prefers wane as a commentator.

As I said from the start, should've had a different title and on a different board.

p.s Hope your mob knocks off ess, carl and richmond every time you play them. In fact hope every team does.
My point was no one, Derm included should give Hunt oxygen. Whether anyone prefers Pearce or Carey is obviously highly subjective. Derm tried to soften what Hunt said, and then gave his opinion on who he preferred unnecessarily. “We don’t piss on statues” sure we do, especially if they’re deranged campaigners like Hunt.

As far as I’m aware there aren’t any rules to which way one can move the discussion on a thread like this.

Your mob has been excellent this year, and it’s time the media stopped trying to claim their collective overrating of the Dons at the beginning of the year was in fact correct.

My point was no one, Derm included should give Hunt oxygen. Whether anyone prefers Pearce or Carey is obviously highly subjective. Derm tried to soften what Hunt said, and then gave his opinion on who he preferred unnecessarily. “We don’t piss on statues” sure we do, especially if they’re deranged campaigners like Hunt.

As expected you do have a problem with Hunt and his comments and Derms defence by not pissing on his statue.

Oh well I guess you'll have to lump it, or piss on his statue, I wouldn't recommend the latter, could get you in trouble.:cool:

Well in that example he was just a kid. I'm prepared to forgive and forget when you go back that far.

But a 30-something adult male assaulting women is a bridge too far for me personally.

I understand your point but Franklin apparently violently bullied this kid every day from year 10 to year 12. So 3 years thats a "pattern of violence" as you said about Carey. Has he ever come out and apoligised like Carey or only in AFL forced "pride games" etc

Derm has been absolutely woeful today (and I normally like him)

Should not he allowed to do special comments on Hawthorn games anymore, he is too emotionally attached (what was that crap about one of their tall players calling him and out, saying they remeasured the height of their lad)

Daisy is not perfect (no caller is) but she is always professional, and very rarely makes mistakes.

Well you are clearly wrong because he is allowed to work in this industry. He may not be allowed to be a teacher (or he may be
emoji2369.png
) but he is clearly allowed to be on tv.

So you have been proven categorically wrong based on all you've written above

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app
What?

You’ll note I said I don’t think he should have this job. I never said he legally can’t have it.

I understand your point but Franklin apparently violently bullied this kid every day from year 10 to year 12. So 3 years thats a "pattern of violence" as you said about Carey. Has he ever come out and apoligised like Carey or only in AFL forced "pride games" etc
I’m in no way defending what Buddy allegedly did. However I think there is a huge difference between bullying at school when you’re 15-17, and what Carey did, across 10 years, while he was between 27 and 37 and having the roles in football that he had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The list of expert commentators about whom I'd say "Wow I'm glad they're part of this coverage, they really enhance the experience" goes something like:

Nathan Buckley

(Daylight)

(Flemington straight)

Jason Dunstall

Garry Lyon

And that's it. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else I'd consider to be insightful, balanced or even particularly agreeable. Some of Carey's memorable contributions from the last 12 hours or so were:

A) Talking about Melksham: it's very beneficial for a forward to be proficient at set shot snaps on both feet, because then they can do it on a tight angle from either side.

B) Talking about the Bulldogs in 2022 against the Bulldogs in 2021: The Dogs took a hot run of form into the 2021 finals and rode that momentum to three consecutive finals wins and a grand final appearance. Actually the Dogs were abysmal in the last month or so of the 2021 H&A and pissed away an almost certain top four spot. But whatever.

Given all that, I'm happy for the boys' club apple cart to be upset and to get some diversity in the commentary team.

Whatever Brereton says the truth is the opposite.

I cant stand him as a commentator. He is quite funny though, I lost count of the number of calls he makes and the exact opposite occurs right as he says it.

He will bag out a player " he wont have the distance with this kick" player easily kicks the goal.

A ruckman isnt tall enough, they then jump over a taller ruck and win the tap.

He's a dead set goose.

Wayne csrey stuffed up ab iconic moments in footy on MMM on Sunday as Elliott kicked the goal.

Pearce by a mile.

I agree that Wayne Carey provides more insight and better analysis in his commentary than Daisy Pearce. However, I absolutely cannot stand the way his fellow commentators idolise and worship him at times on the coverage. Now I know that he will go down as one of, if not the greatest footballers of all time, however he has far too many serious off field indiscretions. It really just highlights the fact that it seemingly doesn’t matter what terrible things you do if you’re a good athlete. Like it or not, giving someone a position of expert comments holds them up as someone to be admired and respected and Carey simply is not that.

I personally happen to like Pearce’s commentary, but I understand it’s subjective and it’s fair enough that people don’t like her. However, people do need to realise that having more women on commentary, in coaches boxes etc is a good thing for the game and will help to engage viewers who may not otherwise switch on and is a good thing for the game. The adage of “you can’t be what you can’t see” is correct, young girls are more likely to tune into an AFL game and become invested if they see someone like Daisy Pearce alongside all the other ex players.

These are two massive factors here that mean it is 100% about more than just their ability to provide special comments on a game of football.

That's a complete fallacy that having more women in certain positions will bring in more viewers.

Zero proof of that.

There's a whole women's league that women hardly go and watch so if a whole league full of women can't bring in big viewing numbers I doubt having female boundary riders will be bringing in the crowds.

Daisy is a better analyst than Carey and Brereton.

Carey's analysis is based largely on what he learned in 1990s / 00s football. Brereton's on what he learned in 1980s / 90s football. Daisy's analysis is up to date, she talks the language of modern coaches and understands what they're trying to implement.

I'd hypothesise that whereas Dermie and Carey think they know it all already and have bigger mouths than ears, Daisy is not arrogant, she talks to people in the industry and asks questions, and her knowledge of the game evolves as a result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back