Dunstall vs Lockett vs Carey vs Ablett vs Lloyd vs Franklin vs J Brown - Who is the most Elite of them all?

Who's the best hitman out of all the mentioned players

• G Ablett

Votes: 27 19.0%
  • Lockett

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Dunstall

Votes: 18 12.7%
  • Carey

Votes: 41 28.9%
  • Franklin

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Lloyd

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Jonathon Brown

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow votes (KPP)

186 Lance Franklin..... (CHF FF)
153 Nick Riewoldt......... (CHF)
140 Matthew Richardson (CHF FF)
129 Jason Dunstall..... (FF)
128 Tony Lockett........ (FF)
127 Wayne Carey....... (CHF)
126 Stewart Loewe....... (CHF FF Ruck)
126 Matthew Pavlich..... (CHF FF)
121 Ron Clegg............. (CHB)
121 Paul Roos.............. (CHB)
120 Ross Glendinning.... (CHB CHF FF)
119 Bernie Quinlan....... (CHF FF)
112 Ted Whitten........... (CHB CHF)
112 Jonathan Brown... (CHF FF)
112 Chris Grant............ (CHB CHF)
101 Peter Knights......... (CHB CHF)
100 Gary Ablett.......... (HF FF)
_97 Matthew Lloyd..... (FF)
_97 Jack Regan............ (FB)
_92 Barry Hall.............. (CHF FF)
_90 Josh Kennedy......... (CHF FF)
_89 Ken Fraser............. (CHF)
_88 Fred Flanagan........ (CHF)
_87 Jeremy Cameron.... (CHF FF)
_86 Gary Hardeman...... (CHB)
_84 Taylor Walker.......... (CHF FF)
_81 Neil Mann.............. (CHB CHF)
_80 Warren Tredrea....... (CHF)
_79 David Neitz............ (CHB CHF FF)

3 VOTES

35 Lance Franklin
29 Jason Dunstall, Wayne Carey, Nick Riewoldt
28 Matthew Richardson
27 Tony Lockett, Stewart Loewe
23 Jonathan Brown, Chris Grant
22 Gary Ablett, Matthew Pavlich, Josh Kennedy
20 Paul Roos, Ross Glendinning, Ted Whitten
19 Taylor Walker
18 Ken Fraser, Jeremy Cameron, Peter Knights
14 Matthew Lloyd, Warren Tredrea, Barry Hall
12 Neil Mann, David Neitz, Gary Hardeman

Prefer a casket in Oak or Teak ?
Amazing the way Lockett has improved out of sight since he retired and disappeared to his NSW farm, whereas Dunstall has gone backwards and became markedly inferior to Lockett ever since he retired and took up commentary.

There was almost nothing splitting Lockett and Dunstall during their careers. They went goal for goal for more than a decade. Lockett would kick 10 goals one week... Dunstall would kick 10 goals the following week... Lockett would kick 100 goals and win the Coleman one year... Dunstall would kick 100 goals and win the Coleman the following year.

Lockett played in some bad St Kilda teams. He also played in some good St Kilda & Sydney teams in the 90's. It didn't seem to matter... Dunstall played in some great Hawthorn teams. He also played in some mediocre Hawthorn teams in the 90's. That also didn't seem to matter. They both piled on the goals, irrespective of their team's standing.

Lockett (like Buddy) revelled in being the hero one man forward line and would order his teammates out of his space. Dunstall worked well with the forwards around him. He was always more of a disciplined team player. In that respect, he was years ahead of his time for a full forward.

Lockett had more sheer talent and was definitely more awesome to watch, but Dunstall actually changed the game - he raised the bar for full forwards with his dedication and selfless play. The lazy, undisciplined, selfish full-forward was once a stereotype. But this became something of an anomaly after Dunstall kicked his 1,257 goals. There was Fevola. Carlton tolerated Fev's wayward ways all those years they were on the bottom of the ladder. Eventually, they had enough and sacked him. I can't think of many other successful FFs over the past 25 years who weren't prepared to work hard for their team.

Last edited:

Not sure what Brown is doing in this thread; he's nowhere near any of the others listed. There are many better key forwards that could have been included instead.

Carey / Ablett / Lockett the 3 best of this lot. Not sure what order I'd have them in but I think there's a good argument for any of them.
TBH Mate, I kinda agree. But I felt many others would mention him if I didn't, would want him in the discussion and I kind of feel he does at least deserve a mention. He played as a CHF which is a tough gig.

Looking on all the above I feel you gotta have him in here.

It was an absolute privilege to have my teen years coincide with 90's football. Could throw a hat over the obvious 4 but so many players in that era were a joy to watch.

Carey controlled the narrative.
Ablett could do anything.
Dunstall and Lockett made the Earth move when they imposed thier will.
Lloyd, for a period, was clinical.
Brown was courage personified but Carey Lite.
Franklin, in another few years, when time and memory are kinder will be neck deep in the convo.

TBH Mate, I kinda agree. But I felt many others would mention him if I didn't, would want him in the discussion and I kind of feel he does at least deserve a mention. He played as a CHF which is a tough gig.

Looking on all the above I feel you gotta have him in here.

Not sure many would mention him; from the replies it looks as though most recognize he's a fair way behind the other names.

As I said, on top of the others mentioned, there's probably 5 or so others I'd have ahead of Brown for that last spot.

Frankly, the last 3 aren't fit to lace the boots of the first 4.
And that is no slight on them as players, all gun footballers in their own right.
Franklin would’ve kicked 250 a year had he debuted before the Berlin Wall fell

If Silvagni had battles against short people imagine how many Franklin kicks on him

It’s like Charlie’s mismatch on Hurn, that’s a comparable height difference

Lockett would kick 50 a season now and get suspended for 40 weeks for putting players into comas with dogshots

Old players make me sleepy zzzzz

Franklin would’ve kicked 250 a year had he debuted before the Berlin Wall fell

If Silvagni had battles against short people imagine how many Franklin kicks on him

It’s like Charlie’s mismatch on Hurn, that’s a comparable height difference

Lockett would kick 50 a season now and get suspended for 40 weeks for putting players into comas with dogshots

Old players make me sleepy zzzzz
Wayne Carey would have 3572 goals if he was umpired the way forwards are today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carey is literally my GOAT, he would run most CHB's into the dirt (even today) and would almost certainly outmuscle every single defender, bar the largest (Marcus Adams probably the only one I can think of that would've handled him body to body)

It wasn't so much Carey was stronger than the opposing defender, it was his absurdly brilliant body positioning in a marking contest.

Pound for pound, Tom Hawkins (and Lockett) literally rag dolled everyone throughout their careers. The only defender Hawkins has struggled to maneuver has been Steven May.

Carey, like Ablett Snr, were two of the most brilliant contested marking players I have ever seen.

Carey would have kicked considerably fewer goals if he played post 2006 or something like that than when he actually played. Much harder to kick goals as a forward these days.
Probably cos he was playing in the midfield averaging 30 touches and twelve GAs per game.

1. Lockett (Brownlow as a FF, nuff said)

2. Carey (most versatile on this list)

3. Buddy (underrated imo, would finish 2nd all time goal kicker, maybe 1st if he played in the VFL era)

4. GAS (Body of work puts him down a bit)

5. Dunstal

6. Lloyd

7. Brown (massively overrated cause he was “tough”) not even a major player in his flag years due to his age.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

from that list;

Carey - not just as a fwd, but overall as a player could change a game like few
Ablett - close behind with skills as freaky and otherworldly as we've ever seen
-----
Buddy - Ablett x Carey. Ridiculous he never won a brownlow.
Lockett- can't ignore the goals record. One of the best out and out ff's ever
Dunstall - like Lockett, in an era of supreme FF's, was up there with Lockett as the best
-----
Lloyd - Like buddy, had a few seasons of ridiculous quality....but like Brown he did so in a quality team as well.
Brown - was alright. man mountain of a kid and played fearless.

It's tough

But gut to my head ...Wayne Carey, best ever.
Centre Half Forward was a hard position.
Not just that. The other team are kicking with a 5 goal wind you move him to center half back.

Ablett most exciting.

Lockett and Dunstall best full forwards. Beautiful set shots.

Jonathon Brown most courageous and leader.

I don't put Lloyd up with Carey, Ablett, Dunstall and Lockett.

Carey would have kicked considerably fewer goals if he played post 2006 or something like that than when he actually played. Much harder to kick goals as a forward these days.

If it was much easier to kick goals during Carey's era, how come only a very small portion of all CHF's in the history of the game could manage 3 goals per match?

Franklin was a superstar. Probably the most athletic big man the game has ever seen. But Carey was on another level by comparison.

Amazing the way Lockett has improved out of sight since he retired and disappeared to his NSW farm, whereas Dunstall has gone backwards and became markedly inferior to Lockett ever since he retired and took up commentary.

There was almost nothing splitting Lockett and Dunstall during their careers. They went goal for goal for more than a decade. Lockett would kick 10 goals one week... Dunstall would kick 10 goals the following week... Lockett would kick 100 goals and win the Coleman one year... Dunstall would kick 100 goals and win the Coleman the following year.

Lockett played in some bad St Kilda teams. He also played in some good St Kilda & Sydney teams in the 90's. It didn't seem to matter... Dunstall played in some great Hawthorn teams. He also played in some mediocre Hawthorn teams in the 90's. That also didn't seem to matter. They both piled on the goals, irrespective of their team's standing.

Lockett (like Buddy) revelled in being the hero one man forward line and would order his teammates out of his space. Dunstall worked well with the forwards around him. He was always more of a disciplined team player. In that respect, he was years ahead of his time for a full forward.

Lockett had more sheer talent and was definitely more awesome to watch, but Dunstall actually changed the game - he raised the bar for full forwards with his dedication and selfless play. The lazy, undisciplined, selfish full-forward was once a stereotype. But this became something of an anomaly after Dunstall kicked his 1,257 goals. There was Fevola. Carlton tolerated Fev's wayward ways all those years they were on the bottom of the ladder. Eventually, they had enough and sacked him. I can't think of many other successful FFs over the past 25 years who weren't prepared to work hard for their team.

I saw fev work really hard for his elusive 100th goal in 2008 massive LOL

Buddy - Ablett x Carey. Ridiculous he never won a brownlow.

Nope. The big difference between Buddy and Carey/Lockett/Dunstall/Ablett was he couldn't catch the ball. He was possibly the best of these players when the ball hit the ground (could make an argument for Ablett) but ball in the air he was behind these players and Kernahan, Loewe, Brown, Riewoldt, Lloyd, Tredrea, Roughead and quite a few others.

Nope. The big difference between Buddy and Carey/Lockett/Dunstall/Ablett was he couldn't catch the ball. He was possibly the best of these players when the ball hit the ground (could make an argument for Ablett) but ball in the air he was behind these players and Kernahan, Loewe, Brown, Riewoldt, Lloyd, Tredrea, Roughead and quite a few others.

Buddy Goat on hff

Last edited:
Back