DANGERZONE 2011 1st RD Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

DANGERZONE123

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Only done picks that are set so far before finals, will update after exchange week
Give us some feedback if you will so I can update and improve

As of: The end of RD24

1. GWS – (VIC) Jonathon Patton, Eastern Ranges, 20 May 1993, 197cm, 95kg
Patton still seems to be struggling with his kicking routine after a slightly wayward championships campaign, but he booted 5.4 in the Ranges' last game of the season and is still destined for GWS. He hasn't kicked many goals since the champs, but Eastern has struggled. He still has all the hallmarks of an AFL power forward with the rare agility and ability below his knees that makes him such an exciting prospect.
Why: GWS need the big forward. This guy is it. Easy choice.

2. GWS – (WA) Stephen Coniglio, Swan Districts, 15 December 1993, 182cm, 76kg
The classy onballer has played sparingly since the championships where he won the Larke Medal as the carnival's best player, but he's already shown enough for GWS to call his name with one of its first three picks.
Why: Best midfielder in the draft, exceptional leader and does everything needed.

3. GWS – (VIC) Dom Tyson, Northern Knights, 8 June 1993, 186cm, 82kg
Tyson launched himself into top-5 considerations with an excellent finish to the championships. He followed that up with a brilliant turn for the Associated Grammar Schools team in the annual game against Associated Public Schools. Tyson had 33 possessions, seven clearances and kicked two goals in the representative match that helped cement his standing as an elite prospect.
Why: High Performance and Consistency outweighs X Factor when your starting a club so I took Tyson here instead of Wingard. From all reports, is shortening to take this 3rd spot, and rightly so. Performances of late have been excellent.

4. Gold Coast – (VIC) Matthew Buntine, Dandenong, 19 October 1993, 188cm, 83kg
The AIS-AFL Academy's 2011 Ben Mitchell medallist looks every bit an AFL footballer. He's over the shin splints that troubled him early in the year and his rare ability to read the play coupled with his elite core strength and poise coming out of defence should see him play AFL footy early next year.
Why: Thought GCS main problem this year was bring the ball out of defence with poise, skill and a bit of arrogance. This guy has all that. GCS also lost a lot of back flankers with delistings, and Campbell Brown will be gone in a few years, not to mention players like Toy etc aren’t performing. This is a smart pick, not a necessary one, but a smart one.

5. GWS – (VIC) Billy Longer, Northern Knights, 12 May 1993, 202cm, 95kg
The Northern Knights' skipper remained the dominant ruckman in the TAC Cup competition and will be the first ruck taken at the draft. Longer finished his Knights' career with a season high 41 hit-outs. The All Australian ruckman at the champs hit the scoreboard in all but two TAC Cup games this season and his appetite for tackling has not waned.
Why: They probably want Wingard at this pick, but they need a ruckman and this guy is a gem, GWS will snare him early to avoid losing him, and rightly so. If they don’t get him here, they won’t get him. Will become an excellent ruckman.

6. Port Adelaide – (SA) Chad Wingard, Sturt, 29 July 1993, 181cm, 73kg
Wingard's combination of courage, leadership, work-rate and elite disposal skills makes him one of the blue-chip choices at this year's draft. He's played senior footy for the Double Blues and won't last past the first four picks of the draft at this stage.
Why: Could've easily gone #3, but performances (more so lack thereof) might worry some clubs. Port want the SA lad, and this guy is all class. Slides to this pick purely because of the excess of talent GWS and GCS have and if they choose him it will be more of a luxury then a necessity. Buntine is somewhat required, Longer if definitely required. Longer at this pick if Chad is taken at #5.

7. GWS – (VIC) Will Hoskin-Elliott, Western Jets, 2 September 1993, 190cm, 76kg
The line-breaking winger with the thumping right-foot kick has been named the Jets' best player twice since returning from championships duties where he received All Australian honours. With the premium placed on kicking by recruiters, the damaging Hoskin-Elliott won't have to wait long to hear his name called on draft day.
Why: Probably the last in that true elite players category from juniors in this draft. They will go next best here, and WHE is just that.

8. Brisbane – (VIC) Liam Sumner, Sandringham Dragons, 16 August 1993, 182cm, 70kg
The elusive onballer provides plenty of x-factor in a draft pool a bit short on that quality, but he's not afraid to get his hands dirty either as evidenced by his 11 tackles in a best on ground performance for the Dragons against Eastern. Sumner's burst of speed, creativity and ability to go forward and kick a goal makes him a top prospect at this draft.
Why: Will provide great run and dash through the midfield, with great line breaking capabilities. Thought I’d go Sumner as he would provide an excellent outside presence to compliment Redden, Rockliff etc in the middle. They have Polec who could do a similar role, but Sumner would make it as a speciality, with Polec playing more of a rover.

9. GWS – (VIC) Hayden Crozier, Eastern Ranges, 24 December 1993, 184cm, 68kg
AFL recruiters are all about the 'up side' and Crozier has that in spades. He's 68kg wringing wet, but has the raw talent that tell a recruiter he could be anything once he develops physically. He took that spectacular hanger during the champs for Vic Metro and finished off the season in the best players for Eastern on three occasions.
Why: This was a bit of an awkward pick. Went with Crozier because of his versatility as a small forward, off the flank and through the midfield. He will be a bit of a project player that GWS will be more than happy to use pick #9 on, regardless of some doubters on consistency. Could go midfielder, but GWS already have so many, and Crozier will most likely be worth it in the long run.

10. Adelaide – (SA) Mitchell Grigg, Norwood, 2 January 1993, 183cm, 81kg
The powerful midfielder has impressed at reserves level for the Redlegs since winning SA's MVP award and being named All Australian at the national carnival. His raking left-foot kick and strength overhead see him sit comfortably in this elite company.
Why: Only 2 players would be considered here by Adelaide. The injured riddled all-rounder in Kavanagh who has excellent pace, balance, skill and finesse or the local boy with the footy brain, readymade body, and the deadly 60m pint point laser kick. It’s Adelaide, so the local boy wins out. Could easily go higher as he would be in the top 3-4 for skill and football nous, but clubs usually prefer more athletic types. Adelaide will definitely go Footballer > Athlete this year. They might opt for classy speedy midfielder so Kavanagh might not be out of the question. The decision on which is more of a priority; Speed or Kicking, will determine this pick.

11. GWS – (VIC) Michael Talia, Calder Cannons, 11 February 1993, 193cm, 87kg
Probably the best key position defender in this draft. Big contested mark. Has a very good endurance base. Has a strong work rate and really has great strength for his age and really seems to enjoy wrestling with his opposing big men often out marking his direct opponent in a contest. Speed is fairly average. Needs to keep working on his kicking and build more consistency by foot.
Why: Best defender in the draft by a mile and key to GWS spine. Easy choice, and will stop him being taken by Melbourne or Richmond.

12. Melbourne – (VIC) Devon Smith, Geelong Falcons, 20 May 1993, 175cm, 73kg
Smith has been good in patches for the Falcons since his eye-catching carnival, but he's still shown enough to suggest he's well worth a first-round pick. He's a lively player who works hard when he doesn't have the ball as evidenced by his 12 tackles in Geelong's huge loss to Oakleigh in the last round of the TAC Cup season.
Why: Crumber pinch-hit mid. Not sure if Melbourne has a class crumber coming through their ranks, but will Cook, Watts, and Jurrah developing, you’re going to need some class at the ground. Might be a bit early, but would be worth it. (They will take Kavanagh or Greene here if Scully leaves. Will need the additional midfield talent.)

13. GWS – (VIC) Elliott Kavanagh, Western Jets, 19 May 1993, 187cm, 78kg
Kavanagh has done enough to assure recruiters he is over the hamstring issue that robbed him of a pre-season and didn't allow him to play any football until July. The speedy onballer suffered a corked thigh early in the Jets' last game of the home and away season, but before that had shown glimpses of the sort of form that should see a club spend a first-round pick on him.
Why: Strong solid selection here. Troubles with his injury history, but if he gets over those problems this would be a bargin. GWS can afford to take a risk on atleast 1 pick in there first round, and I reckon this would be the pick to take a punt on.

14. Richmond – (VIC) Toby Greene, Oakleigh Chargers, 15 September 1993, 180cm, 78kg
Greene has kept up his ball-winning ways since the champs. He was named All Australian and Vic Metro MVP on the back of his 24.5 touches a match average and has actually taken his game to another level. He had 31 possessions and nine clearances for APS in the rep game against AGS and averaged 32 disposals in five games for Oakleigh since the champs.
Why: Next best player. Performances of late have been stellar. Only knock would be height and lack of athleticism, but he has an excellent football brain and a real goer. Could go higher, but I like him here. Another nice, high quality piece to Richmond’s young developing midfield.

15. GWS – (SA) Brad McKenzie, Sturt, 29 May 1993, 188cm, 75kg
McKenzie has built on his good national championships and broke through for his League debut with Sturt recently. His pace is a bit of a question mark, but he reads the play very well. He's a superb left-foot kick and is a bona fide first-round selection.
Why: Very versatile player. Kicked 6 or 8 goals in a U18 game last year, but also can go into the CB to good use. Next best player at this pick, and will perform a role for GWS to a high standard.

16. Fremantle – (VIC) Todd Elton, Dandenong Stingrays, 29 April 1993, 197cm, 87kg
The key forward prospect struggled through the champs with a skinny return of three goals from five games, but breathed new life into his first-round chances with a best on ground performance in the Rays' win against Bendigo in the final round of the regular season. Elton used his big frame to good effect to take nine contested marks and boot three goals. Hopefully it's the start of a big finals campaign for the big guy.
Why: Probably would go to Melbourne at #12, but wouldn’t be surprised to see him slide. U18 Champs and TAC cup so far have been fairly poor in relation to the high standards that were placed on him earlier in the year. Fremantle would choose Elton due to lack of Key Forward targets, Pavlich getting older and him spending more time in the midfield, and also lack of ruck stocks (Sandilands getting older and being injured more frequently, and Griffen/Clarke potentially may be traded which would make this pick a certain if so)

17. Western Bulldgos – (SA) Alex Forster, Norwood, 14 July 1993, 189cm, 75kg
Having won All Australian honours at the national championships, the composed defender has broken through for his senior SANFL debut with Norwood. Strong overhead and a good user of the ball.
Why: Good kick coming out of the backline, I think he can play small and tall, will be useful for them on the rebound as well. Doggies’ backline has been thrashed as of late, either by horrific leg breaks, injuries, players leaving to GCS, and Forster as a versatile back-man will be the first step to amending those problems.

18. North Melbourne – (VIC) Sam Docherty, Gippsland Power, 17 Oct 1993, 183cm, 83kg
Docherty was a late inclusion in the Vic Country team for the last two games of the championships and quickly made his mark. Playing off a half-back flank, he was adjudged best on ground in Country's win against Western Australia and he's continued to play himself into first-round considerations with Gippsland. He takes the kick-ins for the Power and his poise under pressure and precise kicking from the back half are features of his game.
Why: Risen up the ranks in recent times, and could see him go higher. North will be happy with this pick as he is all quality off the back flank. Kanga’s have to many average kicks or players in their backline IMO ala. Firrito, McMahon etc. not to mention the retirement of Rawlings will leave a spot.

Disagree on Brisbane taking Elton, I think we don't need to worry about a KPF with our first pick this year. Cornelius and Retzlaff look good, we have Staker who can play KPF. I think we will target a Speedy midfielder.

I don't think Hoskin-Elliot will last to pick 10 although I am actually tipping him to slide to around 8-12.

Big call on Dom Tyson at #3 but could be worth it in the end. Good Job

No way Talia slides that far, if he does, that's your pick 25. Although if he's gone Mihocek is a possibility, we definitely want tall defenders this year.

You've also got GWS taking too many mids. They'll take more spine players (i.e. at least 3 or 4) as you do when you're building a list from scratch.

No way Talia slides that far, if he does, that's your pick 25. Although if he's gone Mihocek is a possibility, we definitely want tall defenders this year.

You've also got GWS taking too many mids. They'll take more spine players (i.e. at least 3 or 4) as you do when you're building a list from scratch.

Unless they have already recruited their spine!

Good effort.

At least you put in reasons why rather than just a list.

I would prefer Richmond to go McKenzie at that pick than Bolger. At 199cm I am not sure he is big enough to compete with the monsters like Nic Nat, Sandi, Warnock types.

Disagree on Brisbane taking Elton, I think we don't need to worry about a KPF with our first pick this year. Cornelius and Retzlaff look good, we have Staker who can play KPF. I think we will target a Speedy midfielder.

I don't think Hoskin-Elliot will last to pick 10 although I am actually tipping him to slide to around 8-12.

Big call on Dom Tyson at #3 but could be worth it in the end. Good Job

totally agree. I see Elton as a risky pick early in the draft as he looks like a henderson mark II. I think the lions will be much better served targeting atall forward in the coming years...and with the way footy is played these days the importance of talls is lessoning.

The lions need speed and good ball users!..here are my pcisk for the lions:

Dyson... Smart effective ball winner and user
Hoskin-Elliot...Speedy mid with booming kick
Buntine...Smart HB with good skills and core strenght

Fremantle don't need a medium.

Like I said, I'm only using players from the "best 25" AFL website. If he was on there, I definitely rate him a 12-18. Hawthorn would be nuts not to take him.

Thats why Collingwood don't get a pick. Talia would slot in there just nicely though to provide a full draft 1st round.

---

As for Bolger, I'm sure there is still a good 2-3cm of growth in his body left as there are with most tall prospects. Obviously you've got more knowledge on Richmond, and they could quite as easily take Brad at that pick.

---

Also took Elton at #8 because I thought Cornelius is a bit small for a KPP, more of a 3rd tall. Retzlaff will do alright, but you need some high pick quality up there, Elton may just as well provide that.

I'll be updating in the future with my opinions so most likely alot will change in the coming weeks. :thumbsu:

Thanks for the feedback

Unless they have already recruited their spine!

That's what I thought when I made this initially. The KPP stocks are terrible in this draft. They'll be looking to trade, get some mature age recruits or get some uncontracted players to fill the holes.

Obviously they'll have Davis and Patton holding down CHB and FF, but this draft isn't necessarily the best draft to get KPP so they'll stock up on mids, get the best, then trade the rest over the next few years for KPP's.

I've just updated the draft order based on; the advice of the posts, recent developments (both match and draft), whilst also elaborating on my reasons to the picks. Some people have risen (Smith, Talia), and some have dropped (Elton, Wingard)

Shortened the draft as of yet to only those who haven't made finals. Those who did will be included after trade week, along with an update.

Feedback appreciated :thumbsu:

btw, I chose Buntine at #4 due to some recent media I heard. If GCS trade that pick, Wingard would be a lock for #4

I think it is pretty good.

Would love someone like Greene or Kavanagh at 14.

Hayden Coizer is an interesting one as some others around have said he shouldn't even be top 20.

I see Devon-Smiths size leading to him sliding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do North have 17 and 18? Shouldn't Essendon get 18?

Nah, forgot to change North to Doggies at #17 when I was switching my order. Teams that make finals start their picks at #19. Essendon will get #19 if they lose tomorrow, if not, they could go later.

What do you think of Taylor Adams? Whats keeping him out of the top 18?

I haven't updated in a while obviously, and won't be until about a week or so before the draft. At this current moment in time, I don't rate him as highly as other phantom drafters, but he does have excellent contested ball winning capabilities and leadership potential. Right now, I'd have him around Richmond's pick of 15, but he probably won't slip past Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back