Past Daniel Gorringe

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting player, he seems a good mover with skills. It's almost like he's too tall for his own good, in that his style would suit a man a bit shorter that isn't expected to play a typical big man role.

In saying that, Blicavs while not a world beater, seems to contribute okay as oversized utility with good athleticism, so maybe Gorringe could be something like that.

Interesting player, he seems a good mover with skills. It's almost like he's too tall for his own good, in that his style would suit a man a bit shorter that isn't expected to play a typical big man role.

In saying that, Blicavs while not a world beater, seems to contribute okay as oversized utility with good athleticism, so maybe Gorringe could be something like that.

If he could play like Blicavs can (barring today) we woud be a happy bunch

Now that's a very interesting perspective. Makes sense in a strange sort of way.

Well done T2B_ :thumbsu: Going to give that some thought.

I posted earlier this season, after one of his VFL games, that I thought he is going to need lots of loving from the coaches to get the best out of him. He needs to be reminded that he can contribute at AFL level. It was certainly good to see the players get around him after singing the song.

His hands were good today. Some really slick handpasses, a couple of deft touches & he competed well at ruck contests.

I hope he is persisted with in the coming weeks, because he offers something a little bit different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't had a chance to jump on here over the weekend and this is the first place I end up?

I thought Jones was pretty stiff to get dropped for this game. He hasn't been a world beater, but he's been playing his role and hitting the scoreboard.
Gorringe obviously landed his spot in the side through necessity, rather than blistering VFL form, but I'd like to think that he has now earned his spot in the side for next week at least. I think we might have found an upgrade for Jones if he can keep it up. Good mobile target forward that can roam the ground and give a chop out in the ruck as a 3rd option (2nd against some of the lesser rucks).
Would be nice to see him build on this week.
I'm not sure that Gorringe applies the same kind of forward pressure that Jones was, but our pressure against the Cats in general was very good, so might not be too much of an issue.

I'm not sure that Gorringe applies the same kind of forward pressure that Jones was, but our pressure against the Cats in general was very good, so might not be too much of an issue.

i reckon gorringe is much better defensively. definitely has a much better engine and workrate. jones pressure was in patches and he blew up to easily. having said that gorringe will need to keep improving to hold his spot. i hope he does.

i reckon gorringe is much better defensively. definitely has a much better engine and workrate. jones pressure was in patches and he blew up to easily. having said that gorringe will need to keep improving to hold his spot. i hope he does.
Fair enough. I'll have to pay a bit more attention to him next time. I only said that because I noticed Jones chasing more than I have noticed it with Gorringe so far. Happy to stand corrected if he is defending well up forward.

I wonder if Gorringe can replace Liam Jones role in the team?
Haven't noticed him really clunking marks or doing overly "tall forward-y" type stuff but having said that, Jones most often flies for marks without actually taking them all and I'm sure Gorringe could at least do the same thing without being out-marked.

As I eluded to earlier, Gorringe to me (and I haven't the benefit of watching the entirety of his games) seems like a smooth moving, athletic and fairly skillful flanker that just happens to be tall enough to play ruck/fwd but doesn't necessarily play with that kind of aerial presence. But time will tell. He has tools for sure.

Fair enough. I'll have to pay a bit more attention to him next time. I only said that because I noticed Jones chasing more than I have noticed it with Gorringe so far. Happy to stand corrected if he is defending well up forward.
6 1%ers yesterday

Both are laconic. They need a couple of short blacks before the game.
df8ab4fb0d1f5ee20bd0e57f8748e987.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

He brings way more defensive pressure then Jones and gets involved in the play more further up the ground with clean hands.
Jones is a better mark. Gorringe doesn't play like a tall forward at all.
For team balance and the way we play IMO Gorringe would be more what Bolts is after.
When Phillips comes back you would think he would come straight back in, at least we don't need to rush him back now.

i think you are right but it's only part of it.
gorringe was playing like a midfielder, applying pressure and holding the team shape right back to the defensive 50.
Jones mostly comes deeper to be the outlet mark and chases hard if a ball rebounds from our forward half but is fairly one dimensional.
they both have flaws and i want jones to succeed, if only to reward the hard work he's done this year but after the geelong game i'd keep gorringe if it's one or the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back