Toast Daniel Menzel

Remove this Banner Ad

1 year is just stupid when you consider we offered ghs 3 years. Keeps this form up and a number of clubs will offer 3 year deals.
IF he could keep this up all year, pretty sure he'll get a good long deal at Geelong. Problem is, as we have seen, that he peters out after the bye; simply his body breaks down. I think t is perfectly reasonable to keep giving him 1 year deals. We have stood by him for several years for no games at all; there is no doubting how talented he is- he is still the favourite player of many of our supporters(like me). I would have been shattered if he was offered a better deal elsewhere this year, but the nature of his problem has helped keep him with us.

IF he could keep this up all year, pretty sure he'll get a good long deal at Geelong. Problem is, as we have seen, that he peters out after the bye; simply his body breaks down. I think t is perfectly reasonable to keep giving him 1 year deals. We have stood by him for several years for no games at all; there is no doubting how talented he is- he is still the favourite player of many of our supporters(like me). I would have been shattered if he was offered a better deal elsewhere this year, but the nature of his problem has helped keep him with us.

Which is why our management of him is so vital this season.

A fit Menzel in a final is capable of 5 goals, and winning us a match.

If his body can only handle 15-17 games a season, and no more than 5-6 consecutive games, we must be prudent and rest him regularly. I assume he will travel this week but I'm not opposed to him missing one of the next two games at KP even though they're both against tough opponents.

No.
CS flat out said he'd (very) recently spoken to dan and said that they just can't give him a long term deal.
Also told him that boomer had something like 8 one year deals.

Said yes he might get a significant pay increase, but it just won't be long term.

I thought it was prudent.

He also said that he really didn't want to talk about what may have been.
But he reckons dan would be a mid right now and having a similar impact to players like Fyfe, dusty, danger.

:(

Every player is one bad injury from ending their career.

Menzel's body has now proven it is up to it. Danger will probably have a week off. Taylor, Henderson, are out for months. Nakia is out for a while. Gregson just came back and he is out again. Where is McCarthy? At his age and quality Menzel is worth 600-700K if he keeps this up this year. And he will.

I hope Scott knows what he is talking about. That bs dropping him in the finals tells me he isn't a favorite of Scotts.

No.
CS flat out said he'd (very) recently spoken to dan and said that they just can't give him a long term deal.
Also told him that boomer had something like 8 one year deals.

Said yes he might get a significant pay increase, but it just won't be long term.

I thought it was prudent.

He also said that he really didn't want to talk about what may have been.
But he reckons dan would be a mid right now and having a similar impact to players like Fyfe, dusty, danger.

:(
No what.
If Menzel was as good at rd 22 as he was at rd 2, season after season, or even this season, you reckon there won't be a decent deal for him?
One year deals are prudent in his circumstances, which is my point.
I agreed with the one year deal concept, but am also glad no team upped that offer.

And Boomer was about 35 when he started getting one year deals.

Last edited:
Every player is one bad injury from ending their career.

Menzel's body has now proven it is up to it. Danger will probably have a week off. Taylor, Henderson, are out for months. Nakia is out for a while. Gregson just came back and he is out again. Where is McCarthy? At his age and quality Menzel is worth 600-700K if he keeps this up this year. And he will.

I hope Scott knows what he is talking about. That bs dropping him in the finals tells me he isn't a favorite of Scotts.
Not so- he starts well most seasons, and we do not know how his body will be in 4 months time.

We don't know how any of the player's bodies will be then. Just look at our current injury list. If they were going to go, then they would have by now. I seriously do not see Menzel as a year by year proposition any more.
maybe not, but it's worth waiting til the end of the year to reassess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is why our management of him is so vital this season.

A fit Menzel in a final is capable of 5 goals, and winning us a match.

If his body can only handle 15-17 games a season, and no more than 5-6 consecutive games, we must be prudent and rest him regularly. I assume he will travel this week but I'm not opposed to him missing one of the next two games at KP even though they're both against tough opponents.

Scott and the MC were so good in managing players throughout the flag-winning 2011 season; I'm not sure that they've replicated that success in the ensuing years, unfortunately.

No what.
If Menzel was as good at rd 22 as he was at rd 2, season after season, or even this season, you reckon there won't be a decent deal for him?
One year deals are prudent in his circumstances, which is my point.
I agreed with the one year deal concept, but am also glad no team upped that offer.

And Boomer was about 35 when he started getting one year deals.
No in that he won't get a long term deal.

And I have given up on searching Harvey.
I've gone back as far as 2009 when he was given the captaincy at age 30.
He signed a one year deal. And every year after that.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-05-12/harvey-hale-to-stay-on-at-north/1680606

its beyond piss poor. Its humiliating. And to announce it publically too.
I'm pretty sure Scott is simply stating what every other recruiting in the country already knows ... and he's not wrong either.

After 4 knee reco's you're never going to get a lengthy contract, It's simply bad luck.

I'm pretty sure Scott is simply stating what every other recruiting in the country already knows ... and he's not wrong either.

After 4 knee reco's you're never going to get a lengthy contract, It's simply bad luck.
I think he's earn't a two year deal but no more than two.

One year deal is insulting though IMO.

I think he's earn't a two year deal but no more than two.

One year deal is insulting though IMO.
Not really. It's called smart management.

Scott and the MC were so good in managing players throughout the flag-winning 2011 season; I'm not sure that they've replicated that success in the ensuing years, unfortunately.
2011 had less injuries towards the end of the year which enable rotations and rest before the finals

We really haven’t had that kind of luck since

That's your opinion, my opinion is that I think it's insulting.
Kept him on the list and being paid over 5 years while mostly being in rehab, I don’t think it’s insulting I think it’s being cautionary towards his body.

He hasn’t proven yet that he can manage a full year, he fell off quite a bit towards the end of last year. If he sustains the form he is in at this stage over he full year he’ll be entitled to a longer contract.

Dan would understand and would be realistic about his market value after a lengthy time out of the game where he was kept on the list and paid despite no output.

It’s all business it’s not personal, any professional player would understand that.

Kept him on the list and being paid over 5 years while mostly being in rehab, I don’t think it’s insulting I think it’s being cautionary towards his body.

He hasn’t proven yet that he can manage a full year, he fell off quite a bit towards the end of last year. If he sustains the form he is in at this stage over he full year he’ll be entitled to a longer contract.

Dan would understand and would be realistic about his market value after a lengthy time out of the game where he was kept on the list and paid despite no output.

It’s all business it’s not personal, any professional player would understand that.
Maybe not, but he's proven to me that without him we have no forwardline at all so his impact on games is why I believe he derserves a two year deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back