Recommitted Daniel Rioli [re-signed for 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a funny one because he looks a million bucks but just does absolutely stuff all. If he was at a lowly club teams would be falling over themselves to get him thinking they could get more out of him but because he has been at Richmond and been given every opportunity to succeed I’m not sure clubs will think they could do a better job of making him a player.
I would love him at Carlton but not for the money that it would most likely cost to get him because I’m not sure he is going to do much more then Owies and I much prefer Martin and Fisher already.

He is a funny one because he looks a million bucks but just does absolutely stuff all. If he was at a lowly club teams would be falling over themselves to get him thinking they could get more out of him but because he has been at Richmond and been given every opportunity to succeed I’m not sure clubs will think they could do a better job of making him a player.
I would love him at Carlton but not for the money that it would most likely cost to get him because I’m not sure he is going to do much more then Owies and I much prefer Martin and Fisher already.
Yes it is a strange one

The thing with Rioli is that if he was at another club he would be playing the traditional small foward / goal sneak role but at Richmond its more about defensive foward tackling and closing space creating repeat entries.

Really do wonder what he would be like if the shackles were taken off and told to go hunt the ball and kick goals , Play freely and run

Yes it is a strange one

The thing with Rioli is that if he was at another club he would be playing the traditional small foward / goal sneak role but at Richmond its more about defensive foward tackling and closing space creating repeat entries.

Really do wonder what he would be like if the shackles were taken off and told to go hunt the ball and kick goals , Play freely and run

Oh yes, because no one else in the comp asks their small forwards to tackle and lock the ball in, it’s only Richmond.

Yes it is a strange one

Yeah if he was given more freedom to be more offensive he'd look much better I reckon. But Dimma doesn't seem to want that. In his defence it's worked pretty well the last few years.

This is code for, he’s just not very good.

The best small forwards can manage both, Rioli obviously can’t.
Not really. Similar to what Dimma said about lynch a couple weeks ago. If he were playing for another team he'd be kicking more goals and no one would be questioning his form. But for us he just plays the role as he's instructed for the better of the team/system. Same goes for rioli, castagna, aarts. They all push so far up the ground unlike a lot of small forwards.

Butler looked a million bucks for saints last year when he was allowed to do as he pleased.

This is code for, he’s just not very good.

The best small forwards can manage both, Rioli obviously can’t.

This is code for, “Richmond has the best players, ...... no correspondence will be entered into !!!”.

Is Daniel Rioli any better player than the one’s the Tigers have shipped out over the last season or two ?, I have my doubts. If his name was Housman, he could have been in the gun to be moved.

Not really. Similar to what Dimma said about lynch a couple weeks ago. If he were playing for another team he'd be kicking more goals and no one would be questioning his form. But for us he just plays the role as he's instructed for the better of the team/system. Same goes for rioli, castagna, aarts. They all push so far up the ground unlike a lot of small forwards.

Butler looked a million bucks for saints last year when he was allowed to do as he pleased.
The problem is players like Aarts and Castagna have gone past him.
At 24 and with over 100 games to your name this rarely happens to good players.

The problem is players like Aarts and Castagna have gone past him.
At 24 and with over 100 games to your name this rarely happens to good players.
Wouldn't say they've gone past him. Plenty have been calling for castagna to be dropped and aarts before his last couple of weeks. He's a better runner than aarts and better skills than castagna just struggles to put it all together constantly for some reason. His best is better than the other two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aarts & Castagna have not gone past him , Rioli is out of form at the moment but im keeping Rioli over the other 2 every day of the week
Well your coaches prefer them in the team over him, he got dropped last year too didn’t he?
He has never really been inform so to speak. (In terms of being a good player) 1 in 20 games he kicks over 2 goals meaning he is no real offensive threat and he never wins much of the ball. He is a stereotypical role player who when you are winning does a job and when you are losing you want to improve on. Dose what he has to but can’t take the next step and be an integral player. Lucky to have been able to play that role for the Richmond juggernaut because most average sides have the same sorts who never get any success or recognition.

Wouldn't say they've gone past him. Plenty have been calling for castagna to be dropped and aarts before his last couple of weeks. He's a better runner than aarts and better skills than castagna just struggles to put it all together constantly for some reason. His best is better than the other two.
He does everything pretty well but just doesn’t seem to do anything at the same time.

Averages 11.29 disposals, 0.85 goals, 3.22 tackles over his career.

Brandon Matera averaged 14.35 disposals, 1.18 goals and 2.33 tackles over his career.

Much like Matera was, I feel this is a classic example of a player whose reputation far exceeds their output thanks to a famous family name. Rioli has never been anything more than an average small forward, more often below average, with the only difference between him and Matera being that he was recruited to a successful club.

I like him as a role player, but he's not a lot more than that. More value to Richmond than the poor draft pick he'd net in a trade

Well your coaches prefer them in the team over him, he got dropped last year too didn’t he?
He has never really been inform so to speak. (In terms of being a good player) 1 in 20 games he kicks over 2 goals meaning he is no real offensive threat and he never wins much of the ball. He is a stereotypical role player who when you are winning does a job and when you are losing you want to improve on. Dose what he has to but can’t take the next step and be an integral player. Lucky to have been able to play that role for the Richmond juggernaut because most average sides have the same sorts who never get any success or recognition.

You must of missed some of his games

the 4 goals he kicked in the prelim against GWS that pretty much broke the giants , He has played many games in the past where he has been pivotal in keeping Richmond in the game with his pressure.

What i will say is that you do not get a real guide to his game watching on television but at the ground you just see the amount of work he does without the ball and realise why he has played 105 games and been part of the 3 flags when others have been dropped.

Leppa was on SEN and talking about the Richmond game style and how it came into effect and it was mainly based on what Daniel Rioli offered with his pressure and running to close up space and players from being utilised. Players like Butler & Higgins have missed out on games because of this exact reason . They cannot offer the same defensive pressure and run for the entire game.

Castagna & Aarts have also been dropped in the past

Our small forwards are rated internally based on "pressure acts"

Now I dont know what Dan's are this year, but personally I am disappointed with his output and he deserved to be dropped.

I also think he should be a permanent wingman by now and not a small forward.

When we did play him on a wing a few years ago he was very good, but that only lasted 2 - 3 weeks.

The sad part is, I actually think the flair and confidence has been coached out of him whilst others have been allowed to flourish.

Worth pick 30ish IMO
Done.

Hes a frustrating player in that he has the ability to do more than most, but he rarely shows his best for a full 4 quarters week to week.

If we could increase an already strong draft and with another top 30 pick I'd take it.

However Dimma loves (favours) him, and Dan won't want to leave I don't think with his cousin and close mates at the club. We have a strong indigenous history and presence at the club and Dan won't want to leave that either.

Free agent end of 2022

Chances are he will get decent offers to move which Richmond cant match and that would be appealing to other clubs
I would expect their will be significant interest from a few clubs. Carlton , Hawthorn , Eagles , North , St kilda and possibly Gold Coast

Hasn't been the same since breaking his ankle in the '17 Grand Final, showed so much promise and skill up until then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back