Recommitted Kaine Baldwin [re-signed for 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Another one dominating VFL. I'd be very frustrated if we lost him for opportunities because he should have played the entirety of the second half of the year.

Can see Port offering him a bit as a key defender.

193cm so pretty undersized in modern KPD terms.

Does he have the athleticism/IQ to match it with the 200cm+ types that seem to be popping up everywhere at AFL level?

IQ yes, and his hands in the marking contest are probably a feature. Has only moved back this year but has really come naturally to him.

Athleticism has been criticised by some, more so in a potential lack of agility. Haven't seen it much myself, but it's been mentioned by enough people that watch him.

If Essendon beat us to McKay's signature I'd hope we're right in this bloke's ear in retaliation. Could easily play Round 1 for Port next year in that scenario.
I'd rather you get McKay tbh

Does he have the athleticism/IQ to match it with the 200cm+ types that seem to be popping up everywhere at AFL level?
He's a "tall" 193. Have seen him next to McBride (197), Hayes (198) and Zerk (195) and there isn't a noticeable difference between them. As opposed to someone like Laverde, who's listed as 193 but doesn't pass the eye test b

Genuine question, why isn't he getting games? I'd have him in Port's side over Jayden Laverde or Jake Kelly any day (although in fairness I'd have just about anybody in Port's side over Jake Kelly).

Genuine question, why isn't he getting games? I'd have him in Port's side over Jayden Laverde or Jake Kelly any day (although in fairness I'd have just about anybody in Port's side over Jake Kelly).

Different roles.

Despite his medium size, Kelly plays most effectively on smalls.

So Zerk-Thatcher and Laverde are our tall defenders. Both of whom, at best, are suited to playing on 2nd tall forwards. Baldwin is probably in the same boat. As mentioned above, he's a tall 193cm, but he's still 193cm. If he's getting a spot, it's over one of Zerk and Laverde. Each will have their preference. I would also be playing Baldwin, but Laverde has been going okay. And we do know Scott values experience.

If we lose McKay I expect us to go and get this bloke cheaply
I’d say I’d Essendon get McKay that we would be willing to part with either zerk or Baldwin. We actually have a fair few KPD, just none with the size of McKay that can handle your beast FF’s. So trading out one and bringing in McKay would help balance out a defensive list.

I’d say zerk would command a second round whereas Baldwin maybe a third round

I am not a Jake Kelly fan at all but Kelly takes the oppositions best small so not really relevant to the Baldwin discussion.

As for Laverde I’ve got no idea. If it were up to me Baldwin would play ahead of him

Unfortunately for us, that would be a smart move. An EFC in the know claims Baldwin is very happy with the club. So, I’m hopeful he’ll stay.
He shouldn't be. Not getting a game even with Ridley out is nuts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it’s because Ridley is also an excellent ground level player with his athleticism. Can’t play 3 genuine KPDs alongside the coaches pets Kelly and Heppell
We have one genuine KPD in the side.

You saying Laverne isn’t a genuine KPD? Has he had any real success in any other roles?
Lav struggles on genuine key forwards. His best match ups have been guys like Gunston, Rohan etc.

Disagree.

Think all his best games have come on genuine KPF and I don’t rate his mobility highly.
Yeah, I’m with Ambrosia, his best games have all been on tall forwards. And that his agility negates him being effective on smaller forwards.
I really don't see that. Whenever he's had to play tall he gets beaten often.

May is 193 too i believe

Im puzzled why we're not playing him. Was great in the dreamtime match
Great positioning, tree trunk legs, good hands and a decent kick.

Genuinely believe the club has stupidly playing Laverde because we signed him up for 3 years not because he’s the better long term option
last month i'd like to see us move magnets

Baldwin to FB
Zerk to CHB
Lav to Heppell role
Cox covers Ridley
We drop one of Heppell or Kelly for Hind's pace
redman keeps doing reddog things.
McGrath is lockdown BP option

Remove this Banner Ad

Back