Recommitted Chad Wingard [re-signed for 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad to see, was such a gifted player. Sad to see him fall out with Port and enjoyed watching him over the last month. For the Hawks supporters, could you see him mentoring/coaching in the future?

Sad to see, was such a gifted player. Sad to see him fall out with Port and enjoyed watching him over the last month. For the Hawks supporters, could you see him mentoring/coaching in the future?
Yes, I believe he’s already doing the mentoring part, but not sure if he’s that keen on coaching.

No club is going to take him on so it's Hawthorn or bust. Really tough situation given the injury.

Hawthorn IMO should make the hard decision to let him go but the arguments to keep him on are not outrageous.

Will be very interesting to see what happens.

Minimum base and good per game payments for the 2nd half of the season when he is (maybe) back.

If he is LTI I assume a Rookie is elevated? So the list spots arent hurt either?

Minimal downside, upside is other injured players rehab with him and despite his previous injuries he always pushes hard to recover and get selected.

Or he investigates what insurance payout he is entitled to.

Minimum base and good per game payments for the 2nd half of the season when he is (maybe) back.

If he is LTI I assume a Rookie is elevated? So the list spots arent hurt either?

Minimal downside, upside is other injured players rehab with him and despite his previous injuries he always pushes hard to recover and get selected.

Or he investigates what insurance payout he is entitled to.

List spots aren't really relevant to this discussion; I'm not suggesting it's a mistake to keep him around.

I just find 1 year strange given the circumstances, hence throwing it out there what people see as the likely metrics are for him to earn another contract for 2025 and possibly beyond.

List spots aren't really relevant to this discussion; I'm not suggesting it's a mistake to keep him around.

I just find 1 year strange given the circumstances, hence throwing it out there what people see as the likely metrics are for him to earn another contract for 2025 and possibly beyond.

It is bizarre. 1 year contract and probably won't play Vs rehab and AFL funded payout.

I assume it is to see how he heals and what the projections are for him for 2025.. if he recovers well and is fully fit and playing by the end of 2024 he might get another one year deal. If he has setbacks etc then they let him go. To be honest, it seems like the smartest move.

Surgery went well, is on track to be back for the last third of 2024. Mitchell values his leadership on and off the field and has said as much both privately and publicly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn imo from a PR perspective were in a no win situation to many with what course they decided to take with Wingard.

I think (given the optics) they made the correct decision myself, Chad did show many signs of his previous brilliance throughout this season before his awful ACL injury

Hawks medicos seem to be regarded as one of the best in the business, hopefully Strapping Young Lad is right and we get to see Wingard again on field sometime in 2024.

Hawthorn imo from a PR perspective were in a no win situation to many with what course they decided to take with Wingard.
How is it bad PR to sign someone who already had a 12 month contract in front of him when injured?

If he doesnt recover he probably still gets the payout.

If he does recover he gets another 1 year contract.

Im sure it was all discussed.

Payout is based on last year on the contract. I very much doubt Hawks are paying him anywhere near what he earned this year, next year. I'm sure he considered all this, so good on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back