Recommitted Chad Wingard [re-signed for 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it the last year of his contract?

I believe so.

I think he's got his body finally right and his head on right as well. The stint in the VFL would have been great to ground Wingard and take the pressure off him.

He doesn't look like he's trying to do the impossible out there. He's just playing as a valuable cog in a young team.

Now that's a real coincidence.....;)

Maybe.

I do think the relegation to the 2s was a very important turning point in Wingers realising where he was at career wise.

Hope he stays with us on a 1 year deal on less coin. But I can see him being a nice cherry on top for a competing side needing a HFF.

Maybe.

I do think the relegation to the 2s was a very important turning point in Wingers realising where he was at career wise.

Hope he stays with us on a 1 year deal on less coin. But I can see him being a nice cherry on top for a competing side needing a HFF.

Yeah true. Rightly or wrongly there is a view that he peaked early in his career and has coasted since. Port were happy to let him go - and I suspect Hawthorn might have done the same if he didn't start having an impact. Which he is, so good on him.

I don't see the harm in the Hawks giving him a 1 year extension keep him on edge, Hawks probably still 1-2 years away from contending realistically.
The question will be is he taking anyones spot next year?

I don't see the harm in the Hawks giving him a 1 year extension keep him on edge, Hawks probably still 1-2 years away from contending realistically.
The question will be is he taking anyones spot next year?
He's certainly earned himself a 1-year extension with this form, but it'll be on far less money, so I think he'd move to a contender if they offered him 2 years and good salary.

Wingard performing at the end of the season when it does not matter.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

He's certainly earned himself a 1-year extension with this form, but it'll be on far less money, so I think he'd move to a contender if they offered him 2 years and good salary.
Not sure there would be many takers from other clubs for him though, I personally think there is better options out there. It might be Hawks or bust for Wingard.

I'd prefer Ginnivan for instance who isn't getting a game at the Pies who is still young & has plenty of footy in front of him.

Wingard performing at the end of the season when it does not matter.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office
He's played in three (and starred in two) more winning finals than your entire club over the last 18 years.

Not sure there would be many takers from other clubs for him though, I personally think there is better options out there. It might be Hawks or bust for Wingard.

I'd prefer Ginnivan for instance who isn't getting a game at the Pies who is still young & has plenty of footy in front of him.
I think the Bulldogs are the ones who would really look at it, given his capacity to go through the middle too. He doesn't ever do it for us because Sam wants that young core to play together, but he's a really great midfielder.

Richmond is in the midst of a rebuild so wingard wouldn’t be needed. But a team in the premiership window could benefit from having a crack, he’d fit in well at the dogs, gws, Melbourne or Carlton. All teams that have had trouble with forward half efficiency and could use a dangerous small forward. Ginnivan has yet to prove he can do anything outside of draw free kicks, which since the crackdown has kept him in the vfl

Richmond is in the midst of a rebuild so wingard wouldn’t be needed. But a team in the premiership window could benefit from having a crack, he’d fit in well at the dogs, gws, Melbourne or Carlton. All teams that have had trouble with forward half efficiency and could use a dangerous small forward. Ginnivan has yet to prove he can do anything outside of draw free kicks, which since the crackdown has kept him in the vfl

I can assure you that there’s absolutely no room left in Carlton’s rehab room for the likes of Wingard …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You got another small forward coming in? Gresham is in the same boat as wingard really

Don’t want Gresham either.
Motlop and Durdin are 19&20yo respectively and the future going forward.
Owies and Fogarty offer more mature, team oriented options if/when required.
All the best to the Chad but he won’t be landing at the Blues …

Wasn’t saying that you wanted him or could get him. Just that he’d be better than what you have atm, which is true.

Gresham and Wingard are both twice the player of anybody you've mentioned in this post.

They’re all yours then 👍
Nah, Gresham is going to Carlton, and in a year or so's time you'll look back at your opinions posted in this thread and wonder how you ever posted such nonsense.

Finding form again? Must be contract time.

Always been a bit half hearted about his footy, just wants to turn up on game day and do what he wants, not a dedicated team player - it's why Port shipped him out

Your first round pick won't be high enough anyway.

Lol Owies.

Please don't mention that name and Wingard in the same breath. Even a cooked Wingard is three times the player Owies will ever be.

I hope we sign Wingard on for another season but I wonder if Port would take him back for a fairy tale crack at a flag.

He's played in three (and starred in two) more winning finals than your entire club over the last 18 years.

I’ll bite, what the * does this have to do with anything? Essendon fans are allowed to have opinions without this irrelevant insight being used to deflect (including my opinion earlier in the thread that said wingard was worth persisting with)

Pull your head in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back