Recommitted Chad Wingard [re-signed for 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

I would take the Chad back in a second but I don't think Stinkers would. I'm sure Chad and Fantasia could job share the forward pocket. Surely we could keep one of them on the park. Can't imagine him being worth anything more than a pick that never gets used.

If we can get rid of Stinkers make it happen Port.
Surely worth more than pick 60+

Hes still currently 29

Wingard is a salary dump and clearing out a list spot for a young player. Same thing. Plus Higgins wasn't crocked at the time.
Unless we’re bringing in the 4 biggest free agents this year we definitely don’t need a salary dump, but yeah he’s just taking the spot of a younger guy who’s body will allow them to do the defensive things we need

Because mitchell wanted draft capital?

Those 3 guys were getting paid 2mill between them, why would they need to dump 12 months later?
What's the issue resigning Brockman? I'm sure you don't need the salary either however the extra spot brings in one more young guy to try out or bring in another Meek like trade. Wingard with Hinkley at Port isn't wanted and injured isn't of use to a contender. Good player though if he wasn't always injured he'd be worth a late second.

What's the issue resigning Brockman? I'm sure you don't need the salary either however the extra spot brings in one more young guy to try out or bring in another Meek like trade. Wingard with Hinkley at Port isn't wanted and injured isn't of use to a contender. Good player though if he wasn't always injured he'd be worth a late second.
Whats Brockman got to do with Wingard?

He is, as he could be the difference between winning a final or not

Whats Brockman got to do with Wingard?

He is, as he could be the difference between winning a final or not
This is the way I see it. You have finally invested in the draft and have a number of high picks coming through. You have a handful of early 20's players who would be getting re-signed on bigger deals. As teams like Gold coast have found sometimes its hard to keep a large number of high draft picks together because of cap issues.

It becomes important to be able to retain a player like Brockman (who I think looks excellent) in a small sample size of seeing him.

Its much more important for Hawthorn to retain Brockman than Wingard and also to give him game time to develop his game.

So the question is why keep Wingard if Brockman or another young player can take his place. You are better off taking his salary and signing young guys long term with that cap space. Of course you still need some older players but Wingard is too injured and isn't a leadership style player anyway.

This is the way I see it. You have finally invested in the draft and have a number of high picks coming through. You have a handful of early 20's players who would be getting re-signed on bigger deals. As teams like Gold coast have found sometimes its hard to keep a large number of high draft picks together because of cap issues.

It becomes important to be able to retain a player like Brockman (who I think looks excellent) in a small sample size of seeing him.

Its much more important for Hawthorn to retain Brockman than Wingard and also to give him game time to develop his game.

So the question is why keep Wingard if Brockman or another young player can take his place. You are better off taking his salary and signing young guys long term with that cap space. Of course you still need some older players but Wingard is too injured and isn't a leadership style player anyway.
Where have i said to keep Wingard?

Btw i go for Essendon not the hawks, but they should trade pending what they get in return.

If theyre only getting pick 60+ for him then there is no point trading

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s time for us to move him on most of us really like Chad and wish him the best it just didn’t work out. I figure ports future third would probably get it done.

Where have i said to keep Wingard?

Btw i go for Essendon not the hawks, but they should trade pending what they get in return.

If theyre only getting pick 60+ for him then there is no point trading
Disagree with this, he has struggled to stay on the park. When he has he has not been close to what he was even a year or two ago. Brockman, Butler, Moore need to keep getting games. Add in the few we have in the VFL who we will be hoping to blood over the next 12 to 24 months.

I have a lot of love for Chad and don't think any of the t drop off is due to anything but bad luck in terms of his body. But i think it makes no sense to keep him around. If he wants to keep playing i think a contender on small money as depth makes sense.

Disagree with this, he has struggled to stay on the park. When he has he has not been close to what he was even a year or two ago. Brockman, Butler, Moore need to keep getting games. Add in the few we have in the VFL who we will be hoping to blood over the next 12 to 24 months.

I have a lot of love for Chad and don't think any of the t drop off is due to anything but bad luck in terms of his body. But i think it makes no sense to keep him around. If he wants to keep playing i think a contender on small money as depth makes sense.
You can still keep him and not play him in the best 22

You can still keep him and not play him in the best 22
Of course but I am not sure he is needed, if he stays I am not going to be angry or think it’s a bad choice. Just feel like it makes more sense for him and the club to part at the end of the year.

Of course but I am not sure he is needed, if he stays I am not going to be angry or think it’s a bad choice. Just feel like it makes more sense for him and the club to part at the end of the year.
I do aswell, just for more than pick 60+

Hes still 29, there would be many clubs that think hes got 2-3 years of footy in him

Plenty of guys on list at 32

I ask you this question then. Why did you move on Mitchell, O'Meara and Gunston and why is Wingard any different?
Gunston wasn’t moved on.

Mitchell and O’Meara were traded out to allow a new midfield group to take charge, and it’s worked.

Carlton - May see their window a bit differently now but they need that forward player that can add scoreboard option if they deem their still in the window

WBD - Would also be a great match

I think a fit Wingard fits into most top 6-8 teams
Flaky, supremely talented underperforming talented half forwards?

We already have jack Martin and if we get another I'd rather Gresham who still has years of footy left in his legs.

Yes the Hawks are currently 16th.
I really don’t know why you bother making dumb arguments about the ladder when I spoke about a specific area of the ground.

Hawthorn have gone from 18th for centre clearances in 2022 with JOM and Tom to equal 7th in 2023 without them.

If you want argue about it do it somewhere else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back