Recommitted Tom Hawkins [Signed for 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn’t mind giving him 3 years as a player / forward coach role. Anyone would be better as a forward coach than Stafford is.

His back has been a major issue for a long time nearly a decade-he and the club have done well to manage it for him to miss as few games as he has (and he is very diligent at managing his body).

The club and Hawkins are trying to find a balance as he’s likely going to have ongoing problems for the rest of his life.

These aren’t my opinions, it’s just what I was told by club staff members a week or so ago. Ignore if you want, wasn’t going to mention it but saw the trade rumours.

The club and Hawkins are trying to find a balance as he’s likely going to have ongoing problems for the rest of his life.

These aren’t my opinions, it’s just what I was told by club staff members a week or so ago. Ignore if you want, wasn’t going to mention it but saw the trade rumours.
Not that I have any insight into Geelong specifically, but one of my friends works at an AFL club in the High Performance team and he reckons a lot of the bigger, taller guys have ongoing back issues after a life of footy. One he mentioned was Warnock (Though, he didn't work with him specifically) and he also said it was a "miracle" that someone like Tom Hawkins could be doing so well at this stage of his career having played at such a high bodyweight for so long.

Surely money isnt an issue. Cats pay him what he wants and if there is a shortfall it's agreed he'll be paid it for coaching and ambassadorial duties in retirement.

Sydney had serious cash to offer Aaron Naughton and are bringing in the players for a push. Hawkins might get twice the money playing at the SCG.

Would not be a good option for us as we are trying to keep our current forwards long term and preventing one of them from playing by playing Hawkins would not benefit us long term.

I don't think buying 30 year olds is indicative of keeping a long term view, Sydney are pushing for wins right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have thought there'd never be an issue with money this year for a one year deal. With the known outs and expected ins (i.e. no established AFL players), I would have thought the conditions were actually perfect for us to give Hawkins an extra 150-200k on a one-year deal as a 'good soldier' bonus.

Then that comes off the cap with another 4-6 decent contracts next year (some combination of Duncan, Stanley, Tuohy, Rohan, Guthrie, Blicavs, Bews and Dangerfield) and we head into next offseason expecting to be big players.

I will say that with this development, they still need to find a way to force-feed games into Shannon Neale or whoever else emerges as the next key forward prospect. I was against Hawkins continuing on next year from early in 2023 for this reason, now the transition of the forward line (unless there's a big Cameron-esque fish traded in) from Hawkins/Cameron, to Cameron/??, to ??/?? over the course of maybe 3-4 years will have to be coordinated with military precision.

Expecting Tom to move to #11 on the all-time goalkickers list now.

7 goals required to pass Jack Riewoldt.
20 goals required to pass Matthew Richardson.
37 goals required to pass Bernie Quinlan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back