Danyle Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that even close to official yet? I am yet to see anything to confirm it and it is still just "the most likely" rumor from what I can gather?!
You're right of course CP. But it will be announced this week.

All this talk of players jumping ship at Port I think reduces out chances of getting Pearce. He'd be the best player wanting out and I don't get the impression (based on rumour mostly) that our offer is going to be that hard to match - it's just a matter of how much Port want risk pursuing a player who doesn't want to be there.

Would be close to 3rd or 4th in line for a tag at freo and gives great rebound speed and skill on a large oval at subi where we push right up the ground and counter attack well, seems an ok decision. I still can't get over how quiet we kept it though - had not heard the slightest about this before this morning and the paperwork is already done. Gives me a bit of hope that we may have another one or two up our sleeves as the silly season unfolds

KPR how many games have you actually watched him play? Tambling has lasted as long as he has in the AFL mainly because of what he showed as a junior. Pearce is a gun and your lack of football knowledge will be once again apparent for everyone to laugh at again.

Enough to know he is a squib. I'm more right than I am wrong

WE won enough games on the road this year, the home game losses were the reason why we are not top 4.
Lyon is no fool, he knows we need an injection of pace at Subi, to get the home final, and second chance.
If we get this done, our first pick in the draft should be for a kp, Pearce will equal, excell on any mid at pick 16.

There's no doubt, it's raining s**t over at Port Adelaide with Pearce, Richmond's getting Troy Chaplin and Rodan & Surjan are heading to a Melbourne based club in the next 7 days. Maybe this is why they're after picks so much, because they'll have no choice but to take 5-6 picks this draft and it's better to have other means than just using 4th, 5th & 6th rd picks.

Yeah it's hard not to feel for Port. They cop enough s**t in the SA media without all this.

Yeah it's hard not to feel for Port. They cop enough s**t in the SA media without all this.

We have the Crowvertister, you guys have the Westcoast Australian. This is why I always hope you guys flog West Coast in derbies.

We have the Crowvertister, you guys have the Westcoast Australian. This is why I always hope you guys flog West Coast in derbies.

Ooh so it's an interstate conspiracy. Sweet. :thumbsu:

Don't think much of current Pearce but a Ross Lyon'd Pearce would be an asset. Subi suits him too, decent business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds about right. Perhaps you can trade us all your guns on the cheap, you can rebuild, we'll clean out the silverware, then we can reciprocate when our window is closed and yours is openning. Conspiracy will be forever know as the Portaloo

If he is on 400-500k for multiple years and doesn't perform, that is not something to just sweep under the rug ... it is significant money that could be used elsewhere. If he plays in a grand final, and goes missing like so many other soft/outside types, then that will be a big mistake.

Like I said, I hope the club knows what they are doing ... because you think that they would. But you only have to look at JA to see that they won't get it right all the time (and I called that a mistake at the time, no hindsight needed). Lyon is obviously on board, but that doesn't mean everything we do will now be golden. He tried to bring Lovett into the Saints, he is not immune from making a poor decision.

Oh the Risk - Oh the HORROR

So, we should play it safe with lists and never pay anyone over 300K per year, that way we can ensure we never make a bad mistake and can never be criticised for any one decision going bad.

You do realise player recruitment and management is all about risk, looking at the player and determining how their attributes and abilities, including mental, can best be utilised and expanded upon. Managing is all about taking risks, calculated risks on every factor/opporutnity for the best outcomes with least downside - nobody gets it 100% right, successful managers get it right overall, better than their opposition with less massive overall downside risk. I think Freo have proved fairly good at recruitment recently and with RTB the risks are mitigated far more with greater upside - with RTB Freo are more defined as to what will work (player traits and mental attributes) than previously - though obviously there is still risk - nothing in life is guaranteed.

Don't know why anybody wouldn't be happy with this development. Pearce is not in the elite class (eg. Judd, GAblett, Bartell), i.e. the sort of players who will get their ball and influence games no matter how hard you try to stop them. But those types are rare and don't come cheap in the free agency. Pearce will be a good fit for us if we get him.

Upside:
- Fairly fast mover.
- Good user (not elite, but very good).
- Pretty good tank, could be better

Downside:
- Can be tagged out easily. Not unusual for running wing types though. And if he takes a tag away from Hill then it's a BIG win for us anyway.
- Has been known to drop his bundle when the going gets tough
- Not the fiercest tackler going around, can be defensively exposed, but again, you could say the same of Hill. I think if he buys in to our system this side of things will take care of itself.

Unknown:
- Can he work with Lyon's structure and highly demanding work ethic.

You summed up my thoughts...

Living in SA i have been Seeing a fair few Port games. Danyle Pearce would be a handy pick up for Freo. Apparently Freo Are offering $500,000 a year to get him.

Only reason he struggles at Port because Port dont have enough Mids to protect him Which is why he would be perfect at the Hawks, Pies, Cats and Saints.

Hes not an inside mid. He can play on the wings and on the half back and half forward flanks. Personally he would be a better upgrade than duffield. But I would want him on a Wing with Hill on the other wing.

There was a rumour tonight that Port's expected candidate - Leon Cameron, who was expected to be named in the next couple of days - has been spotted in Blacktown possibly in interviews with GWS about the Senior Development Coach that Mark Williams left vacant.

hard to belie
There was a rumour tonight that Port's expected candidate - Leon Cameron, who was expected to be named in the next couple of days - has been spotted in Blacktown possibly in interviews with GWS about the Senior Development Coach that Mark Williams left vacant.
hard to believe he'd take up a back up position when a seniors on the cards though you do wonder if hes being groomed for the role post sheeds, has he expressed and opinion on pearce

hard to belie
hard to believe he'd take up a back up position when a seniors on the cards though you do wonder if hes being groomed for the role post sheeds, has he expressed and opinion on pearce

Port just might not be that attractive to Cameron if he is guaranteed the senior position at another club.
GWS certainly looks to be in a better state than Port at the moment. If you offered me the opportunity to coach either I definitely know where I would be heading.

Understandably, he may not want to walk into a club that is imploding from within. It's hard to stop the rot, the Port job could be a poisoned chalice for any assistant coach with long-term career aspirations.

I really feel for Port at the moment.

I've always felt fairly ambivalent towards them in the past, but this must really blow for the clubs fans.
Hopefully they get somebody capable of turning things around, it's a huge task that they face though and the feasibility of the club going forward may ultimately rest on their shoulders. Pretty scary thought for Power supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back