Player Watch Darcy Moore

Albert Parker

Senior List
Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think we're missing the obvious here comparing 2019 McGovern with 2019 Moore. McGovern at the same age was still a marking beast but overall was a mere shadow of the player he has become. He was a rookie draft pick who was struggling for senior games and didn't debut until his 3rd or 4th year at the Weagles. It wasn't till 2017 that he really announced himself. For mine, the exciting thing about Moore is that his ceiling could be so much higher.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=19&type=A&pid1=4023&pid2=3571&fid1=O&fid2=O
I too was making this point Jackass. Moore has hardly played back in his short, injury-interrupted career yet he is already one of the better defenders in the AFL on exposed form. The upside is huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Daicos was absolutely incredible and could do anything with the ball in his hand. An All time great who changed everyone's perception of what was possible.

He's a really interesting one for these sort of discussions though, because the Daicos we all talk about is the guy in the second half of his career whose body was shot, needed a litre of cortisone to get on the park, and could barely run. To me that makes him even more incredible, but you could argue: With the defensive running necessary to play as a small forward in modern footy, would that guy who wowed us all, get picked to play seniors in 2019.
Daicos started as a 17 year old centreman that looked at home from his first quarter of senior footy. He would have dominated at junior level in the current environment and been taken at or close to pick 1 and played immediately. The forward most people remember from circa 1990 is the player Leigh Mathews told footy had passed him by post stress fractures and a knee reco before he won the B&F playing back in the centre in 1988.

As you mentioned he was physically not 100% playing as a foward and kicked 97 goals in 1990. He wasn't moved forward because he wasn't able to play in the centre he was moved forward because he was also Collingwood's best forward. I recall Mathews saying after he took Carlton apart early in the 1990 season that if he knew he was THAT good as a forward he wouldn't have ever played him on the ball.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've been watching this conversation with interest. What you haven't mentioned in this post is that Lake / Gov playe(d) in transition style teams that guard space so very well that it disallows the opposition to "set up behind the ball" wc in particular, our round 3 game was a glaring example - so "safe" ball use is not really an issue and in fact enhances their method.

Where as swarm and spread teams like us it is an issue, more so against teams like these - again round 3 was clear evidence of this. Tried to out wc wc and failed.

You and Knightmare are both correct in your arguments, there's nothing wrong with a grunt possession style game - has worked for pretty well for us in the last two seasons. Also nothing wrong with a "keepings off" and disallow the oppo territory by structuring up in front and behind to disallow any transition of the oppo style of footy either. More personnel reliant though.

How does this apply to Moore? I'd argue the "run and gun back himself" style of Moore is better suited to our game where as the other two are "pre structured" to intercept anything that comes in with anything less than surgical precision.

IMV they're different players but because of his athleticism and as you point out his ground work and all facets of his game he could adapt better than those two to "other" game styles.
I agree with all of that, except I do think there's something wrong with a keepings off style game. I think it's bloody boring and it hobbles your forwards. It is the ideal game plan for WCE because their forwards are good enough to cope with a bit of hobbling and it masks a shallow midfield and a lack of pace in their defensive group. But I'd love to see that Liam Ryan kid play in a team that gets it in quickly.

Sea fog

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I too was making this point Jackass. Moore has hardly played back in his short, injury-interrupted career yet he is already one of the better defenders in the AFL on exposed form. The upside is huge.
Well done Albert Parker, IIRC, you were tipping him to make a difference to our defence this year and he has been excellent to date.

Pricey97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Wouldnt have mind if he saw out the season with the blonde

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CFC2010

Premium Gold
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
WHERE'S KEIRA KNIGHTLEY GONE?

Michael Randall
Darcy Moore rocked up to Collingwood training with a drastic new look this morning.
The gun defender has shed the long blond locks and headband – an ode to one of his favourite actors Keira Knightley in the movie Bend it like Beckham – for a more shorn look.

The son-of-a-gun is in All-Australian contention this season and had embraced his long hair, dressing as actor Keira Knightley at last year’s Mad Monday celebrations.
He told Mick McGuane in the Herald Sun earlier this season:
"There was no real inspiration. I’m a big fan of Keira Knightley from Bend it Like Beckham and she’s a bit of a doppelganger now so I feel like I have to wear it.
"I’m starting to see little kids come to clinics now with No.30 with headbands as well and ever since that I’ve thought, ‘I’ve got to keep it’."

Sea fog

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks better darker now than when he first came to the club as a pimply, gangly teen.

Wonder why he had the blond so long though.

Think the old man will be pleased with the new look.

Saintly Viewed

So You Think
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks better darker now than when he first came to the club as a pimply, gangly teen.

Wonder why he had the blond so long though.

Think the old man will be pleased with the new look.
The mother is the one Darcy won’t tangle with :)
A no tattoos allowed he said, she said.

Sea fog

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
The mother is the one Darcy won’t tangle with :)
A no tattoos allowed he said, she said.
Well she took a while to get him to change the hair.:cool: He did say though that his old man shakes his head when he disapproves of his look.:)

SuperSteele22

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let’s be honest here, who really gives a flying **** what he looks like? He could sport bright pink dreadlocks and a lime green goatee and as long as he keeps playing he way he has been it would not bother me in the slightest.

Saintly Viewed

So You Think
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let’s be honest here, who really gives a flying **** what he looks like? He could sport bright pink dreadlocks and a lime green goatee and as long as he keeps playing he way he has been it would not bother me in the slightest.
so you’re saying, molly Ringwald instead of Keira.
Pretty in pink works :)

Sea fog

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
AFL
Murphy makes big call on Magpies defender Moore
By SEN 2019-06-12T12:45+10:00

Following another brilliant performance for Collingwood in its Queen's Birthday win over Melbourne on Monday, star Magpies defender Darcy Moore has received lavish praise from Bob Murphy.
Despite being drafted by Collingwood as a key forward, Moore has developed into an elite defender, and has rarely had his colours lowered this season.

The 23-year-old is averaging 15.5 disposals and 4.8 rebound 50s per game, while his 28 intercept marks is good enough for 12th in the competition.
Moore's sublime form has him in the reckoning to receive his first All-Australian blazer at season's end.
"I love watching him play," Western Bulldogs great Murphy said on SEN Breakfast.
"I watched him live on Monday and was almost distracted by him more than the ball.
"I think he might be the most attacking defender in the history of the game that I've seen. I think he might be."
That's some plaudit when you consider what players like Matthew Scarlett and Alex Rance have produced during their glittering careers.
"I played in a team that had attacking defenders that would play out in front, but the way he plays… he watches the opposition kick like a forward," Murphy added.

Top Bottom