Player Watch Darcy Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda hard to given since he was 19 he has been either injured or predominantly played down back.

We aren't talking about a guy who made a switch after 5 years in the forward line, hell he hadn't even got out of his development window before the switch.

He looked great in a defence where he could run and jump at the footy. As a forward or defender, I can't think of many marks I've seen him take where he had an opponent make early body contact. For that reason, until he shows he can clunk them when someone is bodying him, he seems much more suited to defence. I think he's going to be a great defender and would keep him there for the next couple of years, before having another look at him as a forward.

Watching live, you know what rankles the most?

You know it’s a scrappy game, you know we’re not helping ourselves with dumb usage.... all contributing.

But you’re there and those simple goal opportunities not taken.... rankle rankle rankle

(We should have been 4-5 goals to the good; but no, we found ways to give the ball to them)
Holy crap.
Has someone hacked your account.
That post had a mild scent of negativity and criticism.
You've changed SV.
I can't recognise you anymore.

Was fantastic, the concern I have is we had too many go up a lot of the time last night, Roughead, Howe, Langdon and Moore need to work it out better.

If he stays fit, you can't imagine a world he isn't an All Australian player.

You'd think the chemistry will improve week to week.

Wow, in a game where clean hands were illusive he marked just about everything he attacked. Wonderful start to the season. There is a part of me that wishes he is playing forward.

Punched a few times when I thought he was well placed to take the mark but I think he'll judge that better with more experience. Was a ripper effort.

I watched replay of first three quarters, those two were no worse than many others.

We were 11 points up at half time - should never have lost it from there.

1 goal 4 and a few that didn't even register a score in that 2nd quarter. Kept them in the game when it should have been all over at 1/2 time. Was pretty much a team wide issue though.

He looked great in a defence where he could run and jump at the footy. As a forward or defender, I can't think of many marks I've seen him take where he had an opponent make early body contact. For that reason, until he shows he can clunk them when someone is bodying him, he seems much more suited to defence. I think he's going to be a great defender and would keep him there for the next couple of years, before having another look at him as a forward.
He had more opportunity to dictate the game as a forward and play to his strengths. He may not be great standing one on one like Cloke was but who is at Collingwood. It isn’t something Cox or Mihocek offer

Wouldn't have had to do much as a key forward to have won the game for us on Friday night if Dunne had played FB. I'd rather see Moore up forward with all backs available.

He had more opportunity to dictate the game as a forward and play to his strengths.
Did he? I never really saw him using this opportunity.
He may not be great standing one on one like Cloke was but who is at Collingwood. It isn’t something Cox or Mihocek offer

Agreed, it's the biggest issue that we have up forward. I see nothing to suggest that adding Moore up forward will help that out.

Did he? I never really saw him using this opportunity.

Agreed, it's the biggest issue that we have up forward. I see nothing to suggest that adding Moore up forward will help that out.
Yeah but let’s remember last time he played forward we were a basketcase on the field we struggled to move the ball and was that slow entertaining forward 50. Now he is two years older physically more mature and fitter.

Moore has more weapons as a forward than either of those two. With his speed you can’t stand back shoulder, but if you start in front of him and then he can beat you back to goal or if the ball is sat up just fly and take the mark over you

Yeah but let’s remember last time he played forward we were a basketcase on the field we struggled to move the ball and was that slow entertaining forward 50. Now he is two years older physically more mature and fitter.

Moore has more weapons as a forward than either of those two. With his speed you can’t stand back shoulder, but if you start in front of him and then he can beat you back to goal or if the ball is sat up just fly and take the mark over you

I appreciate that they are significantly shorter, but in WHE and Elliott we have a couple of forwards who have more runs on the board in regards to the bolded part. Whilst it would be nice, we don't really need to another forward with this skillset. Particularly as Degoey and Stephenson essentially play a similar style, without being as dangerous regarding marking over the top.

Without Moore, we're short both a high quality key defender and a KPF who can stand under the footy and hold his own. He looks ready to be a gun key defender, he's yet to show that he's ready to stand under the footy up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

De Goey also had never kicked more than 25 goals in a season before last season. Given our new and improved ball movement Moore will smash that as well.
we play to our strength which is NOT ball precise ball movement. our leading goal kickers where fleet of foot and " generally " reacted faster to our inside 50's. having Moore forward whilst he may be able to clunk one or two will actually hinder our ability to rotate players through goals square to HFF to wing.

Depends on who we drop him for but usually the team gets quicker when you replace slow players with quick ones.
with the new 6 6 6 rule. Phillips actually becomes more important. as may coaches have highlighted before. we only have the ball in our hands for 1% of game time. his gut running and filling in holes and keeping defenders accountable should not be underestimated.

with the new 6 6 6 rule. Phillips actually becomes more important. as may coaches have highlighted before. we only have the ball in our hands for 1% of game time. his gut running and filling in holes and keeping defenders accountable should not be underestimated.
The 6-6-6 rule only applies for centre bounces.

we play to our strength which is NOT ball precise ball movement. our leading goal kickers where fleet of foot and " generally " reacted faster to our inside 50's. having Moore forward whilst he may be able to clunk one or two will actually hinder our ability to rotate players through goals square to HFF to wing.
Your right, our strength is quick ball movement not precise, that’s why having a big man who can clunk less then precise ball movement is what we need up forward. Moore is also pretty quick so we’re not losing any athletics up forward.

I think the 6-6-6 rule will actually do him more harm than good. Was always reliant upon those high HF/B's to cover his lack of opponent accountability. Now doesn't have that luxury. If we don't see a vast improvement in his accountability for his direct opponent on the wing I can't see him surviving in that role. He can't give 10+m space and expect to close it down because he's just not quick enough.

Tigers will play someone with a healthy combination of quick, good skills, sound defensive abilities, dose of rat cunning, and ability to get forward of the footy against him Thursday. Likely an Edwards, Rioli or Broad type.

At a minimum, he needs to get his DE% above 62.5%. That's what you expect for a highly contested inside mid. It's never been good (16-77.5% ~ 17-73.2% ~ 18-71.1%) and as we see it's been declining year on year, but sub 70% for such an outside player is disgraceful.

Your right, our strength is quick ball movement not precise, that’s why having a big man who can clunk less then precise ball movement is what we need up forward. Moore is also pretty quick so we’re not losing any athletics up forward.
for mine i think that we have a proven structure that works ( yes we lost on GF and against the cats ) and not that you can isolate one player or moment however in both games Dagoey could have one them. Against the cats a poor decision to handball to Thomas cost us the game. and in the GF a poor decision to peel back off his man allowed his man play as 3rd man up winning them the game. so is it decision making as a whole or positional changes.

Is there anyone in the league who does this on a regular basis. In terms of contested marking, Cox is fine. He'll be high up in contested marking stats if he plays the whole season. Yeah he drops a lot that he has a good look at, but he only gets a good look at so many becasue he's so tall. If we replace him, we get a higher percentage of marking chances taken, but a lower number of marking chances. It's a bit like the Phillips conundrum. If we replace him with a bloke who uses the ball more effectively when in the clear, we'll have the ball in the clear less often, because his replacement won't have the same running capacity or ability to find the ball in space.

Holy crap.
Has someone hacked your account.
That post had a mild scent of negativity and criticism.
You've changed SV.
I can't recognise you anymore.

Years on the frontlines of the Pony Wars can effect even a phlegmatic horse like Saintly.

I appreciate that they are significantly shorter, but in WHE and Elliott we have a couple of forwards who have more runs on the board in regards to the bolded part. Whilst it would be nice, we don't really need to another forward with this skillset. Particularly as Degoey and Stephenson essentially play a similar style, without being as dangerous regarding marking over the top.

Without Moore, we're short both a high quality key defender and a KPF who can stand under the footy and hold his own. He looks ready to be a gun key defender, he's yet to show that he's ready to stand under the footy up forward.
Mate he will give us more than either Cox or Mihocek. He will provides a bigger headache for defenders as they will be under pressure the whole time.

Your argument is floored that he is a quality player in the back line but his lack of ability to win a one on one contest makes him no good as a forward. What happens when he has to body up against an opposing forward then.

He could of won us the game up forward on the weekend we were crying out for a big forward to create a contest take a mark and kick a few.

Dunn and Roughy will be more than good enough to hold up the back end

Only magpie to feature in the coaches votes

COLLINGWOOD v GEELONG
10 Tim Kelly (GEEL)
5 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
5 Darcy Moore (COLL)
3 Rhys Stanley (GEEL)
3 Harry Taylor (GEEL)
2 Gary Ablett (GEEL)
2 Tom Stewart (GEEL)

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status