Dark Sector banned in Australia!

Remove this Banner Ad

DARK SECTOR BANNED IN AUSTRALIA

Australia is well known for having a strict games rating regime, a fact that was demonstrated yet again today with the banning of another title. This time around, violent sci-fi shooter Dark Sector was refused classification by Australia's Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC), making it illegal to sell the game down under.

Dark Sector, which was due out for the PS3 and Xbox 360 in Australia at the end of March, is a third-person action game which sees players taking the role of a virus-infected black ops agent endowed with superhuman abilities. In Australia, the highest rating available to a game is MA15+, as opposed to other forms of media such as film or DVDs which have an R18+ classification (the R rating prohibits sales to anyone under the age of 18). Games which feature content deemed unsuitable for a MA15+ rating are refused classification and are effectively banned from sale.

Adam Zweck, sales and product manager for AFA Interactive (the local distributors of the game), told GameSpot AU that the OFLC banned Dark Sector due to its high-impact violence, particularly the finishing moves the game's main character can perform on various enemies.

"Obviously we're disappointed in it [the decision]," Zweck said. "We feel there is justification for an appeal. However, we're exploring several avenues at the moment to see what we can do to get the game on Australian shelves."
Source:http://au.gamespot.com/news/6186009.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

Although I know nothing about this game and wasn't anticipating it or anything, it doesn't give much sign of a backing down in gaming circles.

Also shows very bad signs for some other games that are looking to come out but have certain amounts of violence in it:(, thankfully we already know GTA IV won't get cut.

But if anyone with a PS3 wants to get it they can still order it from an International site and get it due to region free games.:thumbsu:

Here is a link to the PS3 version on playasia.com:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-15-Dark+Sector-70-1vgd-43-bm.html

It's interesting that we ban games like that but don't have too many sensored versions. I'm playing The Witcher and it doesn't have the sensorship that the American version has.

AdaM is a good mate of mine and is would be really pissed off right now..has put everything into gettng this game ready for release - plenty of advertising dollars put aside as well. He had to play the game for a bunch of suits last week for nealry 2 hours and they passed the judgement on that grrrrrr morons. We are a laffin stock to the rest of the gaming world. The game was looking good to!!!!!

why wouldnt they just simply introduce R ratings and so forth for games?
That is the question we so long for an answer to.

The only thing we can think of is that Censors think that too many kids play these games and if they tell their "Mummy" or "Daddy" to buy them this game they will, regardless of the rating.

If i made a game where the aim was to kidnapp little children from their parents and rape them, should it be allowed to be sold in retail outlets?
moonwalker1.jpg

It's f***ing lunacy.

The laws are based on 1980's attitudes of video games being solely for kids.

The average age of gamers now is mid-late 20's, this legislation needs to be changed!

Meh.

The UK use Pal format, so is there any reason we couldn't get a copy shipped over from there if need be?

I ordered the 'R' rated version of GTA on the PS2 from the UK, and it's not like customs would unwrap your package and check if there's a copy of Dark Sector inside I wouldn't have thought.

Given it's illegal to sell in Australia, does that in turn make it illegal to sell from the UK to us?

Meh.

The UK use Pal format, so is there any reason we couldn't get a copy shipped over from there if need be?

I ordered the 'R' rated version of GTA on the PS2 from the UK, and it's not like customs would unwrap your package and check if there's a copy of Dark Sector inside I wouldn't have thought.

Given it's illegal to sell in Australia, does that in turn make it illegal to sell from the UK to us?
Definetly would.

But luckily for PS3 owners they can order from anywhere as the PS3 is region free, as for 360 they will need a PAL version, unless they have a modded system.

Definetly would.

But luckily for PS3 owners they can order from anywhere as the PS3 is region free, as for 360 they will need a PAL version, unless they have a modded system.

There are region free games for the 360. The majority of games I buy over ebay are region free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are region free games for the 360. The majority of games I buy over ebay are region free.
Do you buy them from an Australian retailer or International?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back