Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a huge deal but he also selected Finbar O'Dwyer in the national draft, which is without doubt the most ridiculous piece of drafting I've ever seen (like, come on SOS, if you want to draft your son's mate just use your last rookie pick, nobody else had even heard of him).

All recruiters make mistakes

I am not pro or anti any non player that is at the club

What I find really staggering is supporters here having a definitive view on the quality of assistant coaches, board members etc

How would they know

Teague is one of the most unimpressive coaches in the competition.
How did the club employ him?
Clearly has his favourites.
Time for Chris Judd to show leadership and direction.
Ratts was our man and we end up with Mr Boring!

ah Ricky Mott, we are all waiting for you to get on the CFC board and take us the promise 17th

1600523724923.png

I know that, but if he was as strong a character as people are suggesting then Betts should never of been added

Liddle was happy to have him as a marketing boost, Teague should have realised that Eddie was well and truly on the decline
I think there were more positives than negatives getting Betts back. I feel he he adds value to the playing group.

McGovern and Betts to start with? How do they get a game.
They've been disappointing. However there isn't much waiting in the wings to replace them with of any real quality. The Teague bashing from some is completely hyperbolic. I'm of the opinion if we get some player back from the injury list next year and hopefully add some class in the midfield through trade/free agency then I would fully expect us to be a lot better next year. If we don't then by all means Teague's position would be under some scrutiny. It's been demonstrated by a few sides (Richmond & Hawthorn) that showing some faith in a coach and having stability in a club goes a long way.

Never been a big basketball fan but I've been working my way through the Michael Jordan doc ' The Last Dance' - must say a very interesting series.

The key thing with Jordan and the Bulls was this relentless striving for perfection. Jordan is just ruthless on his teammates - and himself - at every training session, every gym session and every moment of every game. A bit like Ron Barassi in 1971 with Carlton, you can see why he had to retire after '93 and then again in '98 as it must have been exhausting for his teammates and himself.

However, looking at our own situation I'm wondering are we as a team and coaching relentlessly driving these standards. Who are our Michael Jordan's that can look players in the eye and demand this level of excellence.

Is this type of coaching even possible in this era - the common phrase seems to be 'I want our players to go out and have fun'?

Never been a big basketball fan but I've been working my way through the Michael Jordan doc ' The Last Dance' - must say a very interesting series.

The key thing with Jordan and the Bulls was this relentless striving for perfection. Jordan is just ruthless on his teammates - and himself - at every training session, every gym session and every moment of every game. A bit like Ron Barassi in 1971 with Carlton, you can see why he had to retire after '93 and then again in '98 as it must have been exhausting for his teammates and himself.

However, looking at our own situation I'm wondering are we as a team and coaching relentlessly driving these standards. Who are our Michael Jordan's that can look players in the eye and demand this level of excellence.

Is this type of coaching even possible in this era - the common phrase seems to be 'I want our players to go out and have fun'?
Brilliant viewing was 'the last dance'. Jordan was almost a sociopath with his desire to win at everything, I'm not sure we need that level of drive. I'll be happy with regular reviews all focusing on the question 'how do we improve '?.

Happy to have a sociopath if he wins us 6 flags
Well yes, if we get a chance to recruit the best player in the history of the AFL then we say yes. Not sure Jordan would've been much of a coach, that series talked about how he liked to work with 'yes' men.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well yes, if we get a chance to recruit the best player in the history of the AFL then we say yes. Not sure Jordan would've been much of a coach, that series talked about how he liked to work with 'yes' men.
And has been a questionable owner, Charlotte have barely impacted in his time.

Just on that comparison teaguey in his presser yesterday said that walsh will start challenging people around him now. He is that sort of player. Weiters cripps willo walshy and jsos jones curnow unconditional go hard every game the effort is unquestionable. Need everyone around them doing the same.

Think we have to cut Teague a lot of slack. 1st year coach with a flakey group at the best of times. The obvious issue is run ons, but lets remember they barely get to train as a main group and when they do there are limitations on what they can do.

The off season will be a great oppotunity to reflect on what he did well and what he didnt do that well.

*Team selection and playing people out of positions should be one key take aways. As well as mixing the group up.

*I'd like Teague to back some of the younger boys in. I loved it how he made blokes earn their positions, but when he did give them a go he didn't give them the best chance to succeed by playing them out of position and only for 1 or 2 games. Instill confidence not doubt.

*IMO and i have mentioned it a lot he needs to not play favourites and not be as stubborn in the way we play. A number of times I have felt he chose the easier option of dropping the kids or less experienced player.

* Hopefully he reflects back and realises he missed an oppotubity to light a spark under McGovern by dropping him for an extended period of time.

*Love how he backed Williamson and SPS in and eventually moved Walsh back onto the ball.

Teagues weakness this year are all easily fixed or improved. Time for some fresh faces in the coaches box (and Deisel as a mentor for the mids).

The most important off season for the club in sometime, we have holes but like the Saints a good off season can do wonders. First 2 picks over the next two years should be on the table (not saying trade them all).

Looking forward to seeing Stocker in 2021, I thought he showed really good signs in 2019. If O'Brien comes back unfit like he looked last week cut him on the spot.

Go Blues 💙

Last edited:
The more I think about this and read about it the more I'm concerned about Teague and co playing players out of position.

Example from an article in the Herald Sun today:

"Champion Data statistics show No. 1 pick Walsh attended 11 centre square involvements in the first 14 weeks then 33 in the final three weeks.

He responded with three slashing performances including Round 17’s 31-possession game against Brisbane including six clearances and an amazing 21 contested possessions." - Herald Sun, Jon Ralph 21 September.

Considering Walsh dominated as a midfielder in his first year. Why was he moved to a wing and players like Murphy given priority to attend centre bounces? Why did it take so long to make a change when Teague mentioned a number of times we lacked spread or the ability to break away from clearences which is exactly what Walsh provides? Even letting Cuningham or Gibbons into the midfield mix would provide this over Curnow, Murphy, Cripps, Setterfield and Kennedy. The only player frequently used in our midfield rotation who could provide this was Jack Martin and it was less than 30% of centre bounce attendances.

We desperately need to transition away from older players especially in the midfield and give the kids a chance to carry a share of the load.

Last edited by a moderator:
The more I think about this and read about it the more I'm concerned about Teague and co playing players out of position.

Example from an article in the Herald Sun today:

"Champion Data statistics show No. 1 pick Walsh attended 11 centre square involvements in the first 14 weeks then 33 in the final three weeks.

He responded with three slashing performances including Round 17’s 31-possession game against Brisbane including six clearances and an amazing 21 contested possessions." - Herald Sun, Jon Ralph 21 September.

Considering Walsh dominated as a midfielder in his first year. Why was he moved to a wing and players like Murphy given priority to attend centre bounces? Why did it take so long to make a change when Teague mentioned a number of times we lacked spread or the ability to break away from clearences which is exactly what Walsh provides? Even letting Cuningham or Gibbons into the midfield mix would provide this over Curnow, Murphy, Cripps, Setterfield and Kennedy. The only player frequently used in our midfield rotation who could provide this was Jack Martin and it was less than 30% of centre bounce attendances.

We desperately need to transition away from older players especially in the midfield and give the kids a chance to carry a share of the load.
Murphy hardly attended any centre bounces all year. If anything Walsh moving out of the centre meant setterfield played more midfield time

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Murphy hardly attended any centre bounces all year. If anything Walsh moving out of the centre meant setterfield played more midfield time

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Incorrect.

Footy classified had a graphic up about 5 weeks ago Murphy attended the 4th most centre bounces. Cripps & Curnow 80%+ Setterfield 76% and next is Murphy at 42%. Jack Martin 5th 26%.

Last edited:
Incorrect.

Footy classified had a graphic up about 5 weeks ago Murphy attended the 4th most centre bounces. Cripps & Curnow 80%+ Setterfield 76% and next is Murphy at 42%. Jack Martin 5th 26%.

With the Williams recruitment he will take a lot of centre bounces and likely push Murph out.

Just want to say that Teague has us playing a good brand of footy when we get it right...he clearly has tactical nous. Makes good game day changes too.

And its likely thanks to him that we got guys like Martin and Williams...and Papley to nominate us. Would they have chosen us if we were still on our 1-11 path and playing completely s**t? Highly unlikely.

With the Williams recruitment he will take a lot of centre bounces and likely push Murph out.

Just want to say that Teague has us playing a good brand of footy when we get it right...he clearly has tactical nous. Makes good game day changes too.

And its likely thanks to him that we got guys like Martin and Williams...and Papley to nominate us. Would they have chosen us if we were still on our 1-11 path and playing completely sh*t? Highly unlikely.

I think a few of his inclusions throughout the season and not managing players was 100% questionable, but that isn't all on him.

I didn't love our midfield mix this season, far too slow and not putting enough reliance on kids. Need to develop them somehow and as forward pockets or halfbacks just seems nonsense to me. Look at Brayshaw and Cerra at Freo, both given responsibility in the midfield and now starting to thrive.

I think a few of his inclusions throughout the season and not managing players was 100% questionable, but that isn't all on him.

I didn't love our midfield mix this season, far too slow and not putting enough reliance on kids. Need to develop them somehow and as forward pockets or halfbacks just seems nonsense to me. Look at Brayshaw and Cerra at Freo, both given responsibility in the midfield and now starting to thrive.

Agree on our mdfield mix but I think its more our list make up than Teague.

We did put Martin in there at times to good effect, though he was needed forward as well.

Teague rewarded kennedy for good training and reserve game form and he had some good games but doesn't work with setterfield and cripps when its dry.

Gave Dow a few games and he had zero impact. Gave Philp some games and he didnt have an impact.

Although I would say I think Cunners should have gotten a bit more time in there...found the ball in the Essendon game. Fisher as well though he did well as a forward.

Teague has obviously identified our lack of speed and we targeted and got Williams already. That will give him a lot more options and give our midfield a different look and point of difference.

Agree on our mdfield mix but I think its more our list make up than Teague.

We did put Martin in there at times to good effect, though he was needed forward as well.

Teague rewarded kennedy for good training and reserve game form and he had some good games but doesn't work with setterfield and cripps when its dry.

Gave Dow a few games and he had zero impact. Gave Philp some games and he didnt have an impact.

Although I would say I think Cunners should have gotten a bit more time in there...found the ball in the Essendon game. Fisher as well though he did well as a forward.

Teague has obviously identified our lack of speed and we targeted and got Williams already. That will give him a lot more options and give our midfield a different look and point of difference.

Walsh should be a lock in there and Gibbons is a midfielder. I think both at least add some pace to our midfield.

I don't think you can have Curnow/Cripps and Setterfield/Kennedy in there together. Two of them at a time and 2 players who can help with spread Walsh/Gibbons/Fisher/SPS/Dow etc etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back