Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

The club opted to appoint Teague who has L plates on even though publicLy Judd said the club wanted a coach who had been part of a AFL winning grand final either as a coach or player. Teague has neither. Bewildering selection process.
Good luck to Teague but Judd needs to be held to account.

Held to account for what? Wanting a successful coach?
How many finals was Alastair Clarkson apart of?

Re: development of our kids. It's a tough cycle to break.

You bring in kids who naturally look up to senior players. Who are our senior players? Simmo, Murphy, Kreuzer, Betts. Curnow and Casboult could be included here. Not exactly inspiring in terms of setting an example on and off the field.

We bring in players like Walsh and Weiteiring - the 2 young players who have stood and out really made their mark recently. You'd say their professional attitude makes them stand our from all our other younger players.

It's naturally not easy or typical for young players to look up to other younger players in terms how how to apply themselves, which is what makes it so difficult to break the cycle.

Now, obviously Weitering and Walsh were both number 1 draft picks...how long will it take for LOB, Dow, SPS, Fisher, Cunningham, etc. etc. to become consistent, reliable players week in week out? Who knows, but that's when we can really expect a move up the table. The kids need to grow up and develop otherwise the 'rebuild' aspect from the draft was just a waste.

Love him but If Teague plays his love child McGov next week, he loses all credibility for me. Preaches earning your spot yet that doesn’t seem to apply to McGov.
I really believe McGovern has embarrassed and let Teague down. Shown so much blind faith in him. Maybe he feels he owes it to him as he was the reason he came over from Adelaide.

I really believe McGovern has embarrassed and let Teague down. Shown so much blind faith in him. Maybe he feels he owes it to him as he was the reason he came over from Adelaide.
If he plays next week it’s double standards. One of the rest of the team, the other for McGov.

There is no leg to stand if he doesn’t drop McGov

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is where I feel David Teague has to evolve the team's gameplan...

Blues need to adopt a more modern game plan. Something that is sometimes David Teague and sometimes Brendan Bolton, depending on the situation. That is when do we attack and when do we defend. At the moment we are all attack.

This is why we can come back from 30 points down and win but it's also why we find ourselves losing games from 20 or 30 points up or finding ourselves 30+ points down in the first place. It's all to do with our one paced move forward get it inside 50 quickly game style.

We have high inside 50s but we turn it over a lot inside 50 and we aren't scoring a lot from our inside 50s. I think this stat is skewed a lot by the way we play. Some teams don't have high inside 50s but win games because they hold the ball up a fair bit and control the pace of the game. They know that when they are playing a team who is being defensive that going inside 50 will likely result in a turnover so they delay the inside 50 entry, give the midfield time to setup defensively and rest and control the pace and momentum of the game which we don't do. That's how good sides hold a lead. By preventing/delaying their opposition's comeback tactics which they do by defending harder and pushing numbers back. A tactic which teams use to good effect against us.

We can score heavily when the game is open and the opposition are playing attacking football. We struggle badly when the opposition play defensively and push players back. Problem is teams either know this and use defensive tactics against us from the start or we get a lead, get on top of a team and they do it then.

I know this and the opposition know this, a big reason why teams do that to us, we are fodder for good intercepting defencive teams because we go in there quick and we aren't great kicks. Going inside 50 quick is great but if it's turned over the opposition are presented with a quick rebound opportunity as we won't be setup defensively behind the ball as well as we could be.

This quick inside 50 quick out that we get caught up in is exhausting to the defence/midfield, they are always moving. Mids and backs get to rest when the ball is in our forwardline and staying there. They can stand on an opponent or in a zone and take a spell.

Our one paced game style where we go forward as quick as we can and go inside 50 without hesitation gives us a high inside 50 and high turnover count. Our bad kicking gives us a high inside 50 turnover stat as well so it's probably not a stat that screams we should be scoring more, it's just how we play.

Watching some good sides and how they handle defensive tactics is interesting. Essendon V Geelong the other week was a good one. Geelong scored heavily early then Essendon went defensive so Geelong slowed the game up. We get 30 odd points up and just keep banging it in inside a crowded 50 as quick as we can and it keeps coming out as quick as we got it in there.

Good teams recognize that their forwardline is being flooded. They realise there is no value going inside 50 quickly if all the players are already in there so what can a team get out of that situation? It's usually easy to chip the ball around outside the 50, give players a rest and just hold things up, then go long and deep. If it's turned over then you should be able to defend that as you should be rested and setup behind the ball. Should be able to stop the opposition rebounding quickly or turn it over.

Why it's good to hold things up and delay the kick inside 50 when the opposition are crowding our forwardline is to delay the potential opposition comeback and stop their momentum but also to give our players a rest and allow our players outside the 50 to rest and setup defensively. Going inside 50 quickly all the time, if it's coming out it's coming out to a midfield that is likely not setup defensively properly and is not getting a rest. This high pace footy makes us vulnerable to being run over later in games as with the West Coast game.

Our loss to Hawthorn is one of many examples where we played hard attacking footy and built a good lead. Hawthorn did what well coached sides do and they went defensive after we dominated and built a good lead. More midfield pressure, push numbers back, look to intercept the ball and rebound. This is when we should have realised this, slowed the game up and kicked the ball around a bit, let them push everyone inside our forward 50 and chip it around a bit and delay our forward entries.

The other concerned with our tactics is that it makes it easy to crowd and outnumber us forward. It's good to hold numbers forward but if our forwards are all ahead of the ball then so are the defenders and the extra defenders.

Some teams push numbers hard defensively and it opens up the forward line. Extra numbers in defence, forwards pushed further up the ground. No one is in the forward line. Bolton played this way a lot which was fine but we were constantly left with no one to kick to forward. Problem with this tack is the forwards must be able to push hard back to position and must read the game and time this right. If they can do that then they can find themselves in an open forward line.

I don't think we do this well. Either because our forwards aren't good enough at pushing forward hard enough, perhaps too tall and carrying too many giants at times or because we don't implement hard defensive presses often or at all.

A good example of this is how often do we see in our games, we dominate play, we go inside 50 into a super crowded forwardline 5-8 times, don't score, the opposition get one break away and go inside 50 once into an open forwardline and score. Happens a lot.

I like our gamestyle when the game is open and even and both sides are playing an even game between defending and attacking but our tactics don't work against teams who implement good defensive structures and game styles. Collingwood is another game where we were beating them so the implemented defensive structures, Moore must have take a heap of intercept marks and they just rebounded hard against us. Should have been able to recognize their change of tactics and slowed that game down and made sure they couldn't rebound effectively.

I like Teague, I like our game style but it's just one half of a successful game style. He talked about adopting and adapting the game style along the way and this is the second half of the puzzle. We learn to adjust our tactics and that must come from the players on the field at the time and we make finals this year easily.

Yes go hard, keep forward closer to home and get it inside 50 quickly but when conditions change then react to that, play boring slow footy and hold things up, control the pace and turn these comeback losses and blown away early issues into wins.

What I would like to see is us get a lead, see the opposition flood and go defensive then us slow things up and hold that lead longer and make it hard for them to move the ball forward. I would like to see us implement defensive tactics to be supre hard to score against, have less inside 50s but to still score and still have options when we break away and start going forward. To use defensive tactics to open the forward line up. I want to see awareness of situations and see us adjust our game style accordingly.

Hopefully that's the next part of the chapter and that is next to come.

1st quarter v Crows, exactly what I said above.

Quite obvious Crows are winning the contest, we fail to defend, leave them with an open forward line. Defended a bit better late but far too late.

Our game plan is poor. Our reaction time is terrible and we're 31 points down at quarter time against the last placed team.

Unforced errors going inside 50 but our game plan and slow reaction is not good enough when things aren't going our way.

Needs time to develop players and gameplan.

Assistants need looking at...

Reactions to game situation too slow. 5mins it was clear Cripps not playing well and needed to go forward but didn't happen till late in the 2nd.

Games get away on us before we react.

Our defensive game is absent. Crows have implemented a defensive structure from first bounce because they know it's our weakness and combats our terrible kicking inside 50 and we don't do the right thing and defend back.

Hence crows forward line is open and ours always clogged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back