Universal Love David Teague

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
From my observations Teague has us playing a game style that is obvious, unlike a number of other clubs.

That’s the starting point. Now he needs to gets the players to take ownership of the defensive aspects, that are fundamental to wins.

I don’t have my doubts in Teagues game plan, I have doubts in some of the team selections, as a number of players do not fit the plan.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Good post. And also nailing those important moments within the game . Players make coaches but agree good management is crucial .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
While he has the players he will be retained no matter what --I see they need to remodel his support staff and deep dive into our development issues which has plagued us for many years -- maybe it is just a case of having standalone VFL..... if he loses the locker room and a new coach comes I would be surprised if said coach didn't bring mostly there own staff as assistants and support etc are now only required 3 months notice ..

We only two weeks in our biggest problem for last 6-8 years has been scoring now he just needs to tighten the screws a little .. we be ok win 5 of next 8 we still be live chance

17SetMeFree

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Teagues gameplan was one of having faith in the individuals instinctive style, which was an instantaneous difference once he relieved Bolton.
Bolton's game plan was mired in lack of confidence in run and carry, and was more tempo.

Teagues downfall is his inability to maintain personal distance to some players, which sees him ensnared in an obligation dilemma at the selection table that isn't based on the principles of meritocracy.
It's one thing to talk about this concept in player group meetings, its another to execute. Those others that remain true to the mantra, often get the best out of their list- all the way through.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
Teagues gameplan was one of having faith in the individuals instinctive style, which was an instantaneous difference once he relieved Bolton.
Bolton's game plan was mired in lack of confidence in run and carry, and was more tempo.

Teagues downfall is his inability to maintain personal distance to some players, which sees him ensnared in an obligation dilemma at the selection table that isn't based on the principles of meritocracy.
It's one thing to talk about this concept in player group meetings, its another to execute. Those others that remain true to the mantra, often get the best out of their list- all the way through.
Liked to acknowledge the use of the words “ensnared” and “meritocracy”....

Blueballs38

Premiership Player
Feb 27, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
And this is my main criticism of him. you will never know if you dont have a go. Being well into the rebuild I feel his main focus is to win as many games as possible. hence persisting with some of the old heads, his push for Eddie etc.

He now needs to take the risk and blood some of these younger guys and show some consistent improvement throughout this season. No good throwing them in when its mathematically impossible to make the eight as the decision will have already been made.
Einstein once said the definition of idiocy is to fail and do the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Unfortunately Teague seems to fit this mould. I was all for the Teague train 🚂 but at the moment it just seems his laconic attitude during press conferences is exactly how the team plays. It’s like he has infected the team with not giving a sh*t.

All very disappointing at the moment because deep down we all like him and would love to see him succeed. But he needs to get rid of underperforming favourites and send a clear message to the group. Stop playing people out of position in roles that don’t compliment their skill set and finally start making ballsy moves (like he once did) when things are not going our way.

Right now he just seems like a deer in headlights. He has the talent but it’s being utilised in a very inefficient way.

rampar

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton

Yep! Excellent point. I wonder if that is playing a part in his decision to play players out of position.

It might be better to let the boys compete for their best position, if you are not good enough then you get dropped.

Instead of playing the best players out of position, play the best player for the position/role.

J-dog

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Not a popular opinion but I really like what Teague is doing.

He's not trying to be the tough guy, the great commander or hall of fame coach. He's getting the defensive structure right, then the ball movement right, and now the attitude is also starting to change.

Dow busted his arse preseason and earned a chance. He was given a block of games to make it happen but came up short. Now he drops out and has to earn it again.
Parks busts his arse and gets a chance and is effective.
Williamson gets a block but isn't effective so drops back. Busts his arse and earnes a recall when his chance presents.
Eddy by his own admission he's not up to it. Coach listens and gives him time in the 2s to get the confidence up and comes in effective.
Kennedy busts his arse in the 2s and gets a gig as sub. Comes on and blitzes his short stint, earns a full game when his chance presents.
Cottrell busts his arse in the 2s and gets a call up when the chance presents. Keeps his spot because he uses heart and soul and gets his job done.

Our ball movement is improving by the game. Our defense is becoming exceptional. If we can make the forward connection and then build the team aggression we'll kick strong scores and become the league benchmark.

Things are looking good.

Last edited:

juzz88

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2009
The Netherrealm
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Juventus
Not a popular opinion but I really like what Teague is doing.

He's not trying to be the tough guy, the great commander or hall of fame coach. He's getting the defensive structure right, then the ball movement right, and now the attitude is also starting to change.

Dow busted his arse preseason and earned a chance. He was given a block of games to make it happen but came up short. Now he drops out and has to earn it again.
Parks busts his arse and gets a chance and is effective.
Williamson gets a block but isn't effective so drops back. Busts his arse and earnes a recall when his chance presents.
Eddy by his own admission he's not up to it. Coach listens and gives him time in the 2s to get the confidence up and comes in effective.
Kennedy busts his arse in the 2s and gets a gig as sub. Comes on and blitzes his short stint, earns a full game when his chance presents.
Cottrell busts his arse in the 2s and gets a call up when the chance presents. Keeps his spot because he uses heart and soul and gets his job done.

Our ball movement is improving by the game. Our defense is becoming exceptional. If we can make the forward connection and then build the team aggression we'll kick strong scores and become the league benchmark.

Things are looking good.
Playing Murphy full time forward too.

No more centre bounces, even when we are losing, which is good. The younger guys are being given the sole responsibility to get it done (besides Ed, but he is a different specimen).

Some questioned him turning Fisher and Gibbons into small forwards, but that seems to have worked too.

Walsh in the middle is another recent change.

Sometimes we get frustrated because we wanted some of these changes 12 months ago, but maybe there's merit in his slow and steady approach.

You can see where he's going with the list.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
Has not been impressive again tonight.
We look good when we take the game on through the middle so we immediately go back to playing down the wing.

Keeps giving games to players who are not good enough like Murphy, SPS and Williamson.

bluemahogany

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Heat, Manchester United
Just move on now, we are treading water or going backwards, don’t waste the next 17 games. Be bold

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Has not been impressive again tonight.
We look good when we take the game on through the middle so we immediately go back to playing down the wing.

Keeps giving games to players who are not good enough like Murphy, SPS and Williamson.
SPS is good enough. He showed it the last two weeks when we gave him a free role. He's a midfielder. Gets told to play lock down defence again this week with parks out, of course he looks bad. It's ******* moronic coaching.

Bluechip66

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d like to see more ruthlessness in team selections, stop handing players games.
if u position is up for grabs, you tend to work harder to hold that position.

About to write the same thing. He needs some game day assistance.

The reason why I would argue against that is that teague has shown he is a tactical coach who can make changes on the fly.

Think of the games we win from 6 goals down.

This loss against Port was effort based

Back