Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a coach who will lay the law down, not play favorites and get rid of any player who won't buy in.

The problem with backing Teague is he has failed to reach and/or teach the players. Having support around him doesn't necessarily change that.

It's a risk to keep Teague and it's an unknown to sack Teague. Better the devil you know, or take the chance on a possible angel?

Just watched his presser . He’s gone I reckon .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The board should listen to its supporter base and sack Teague. Just like when they listened to it’s supporter base and hired Teague.

Bolton was incompetent.

We need a coach who will lay the law down, not play favorites and get rid of any player who won't buy in.

The problem with backing Teague is he has failed to reach and/or teach the players. Having support around him doesn't necessarily change that.

It's a risk to keep Teague and it's an unknown to sack Teague. Better the devil you know, or take the chance on a possible angel?

I have said this before here, and it probably won't be the last time.

It feels like there may be a systemic issue with player culture (or even entitlement) in this group - quite possibly on a level passed down from previous players and leaders.

Yes the structures and game plan aren't great, but today was more about effort. The effort today was deplorable - it honestly felt like they were still coming down from the taste of their own bathwater based on playing 1 good quarter against Collingwood.

I can't shake the feeling that another coach that "the players like and want" who will let them "play to their strengths" will just end up with exactly the same results in 1-2 years after another dead cat bounce to get all our hopes up. There is a real tail-wagging-the-dog feel.

So how do we break this seemingly never-ending cycle? It won't be easy, and will require some more pain and player turnover, imo.

We need a coach with some presence, an assertive, strong-willed task-master, with a bit of ***hole about him even, who will set high standards and be uncompromising in upholding those standards.

My prediction is that, sadly, by going down this road we will inevitably lose a few "talented" players who just won't be able to hack it - said players will need to be offered up for trade (with competent posturing to avoid it looking like a Collingwood style fire-sale) in exchange for players that we think have the scope to adequately follow a game plan that requires being 100% switched on, particularly defensively, every week.

It's not the easy road, and it's difficult to tell fans that there's more pain in store until we truly sort this out.

I feel like, to some degree, Bolton was absolutely a victim of this problem I'm talking about. Sure, his game plan was too defensive, but he was trying to install defensive standards, benchmarks, accountability and ownership into our players and you get the feeling that in the end, some players pretty much revolted against this - voting with their on-field actions - and they absolutely got the coach they wanted - a guy who wouldn't make them too defensively accountable, and they could just "play footy to their strengths".

As Dr Phil would say - Carlton, how's that working out for ya?

Last edited:

Just because Teague doesn't let his emotions out of check on telly doesn't mean he doesn't push the players. Curnow even mentioned it in his pre-game interview that the perception of Teague being too nice was totally off base. Ratten, Malthouse, Bolton, all coaches that we have sacked - not once have we backed a coach in. Time to try something new...

Perfect summary. I genuinely don’t know which is the better option. My gut still says to give him another year with better support. My head says it’ll be another wasted year where we risk players departing in the pursuit of success.

It feels like there may be a systemic issue with player culture (or even entitlement) in this group - quite possibly on a level passed down from previous players and leaders.

Yes the structures and game plan aren't great, but today was more about effort. The effort today was deplorable - it honestly felt like they were still coming down from the taste of their own bathwater based on playing 1 good quarter against Collingwood.

I can't shake the feeling that another coach that "the players like and want" who will let them "play to their strengths" will just end up with exactly the same results in 1-2 years after another dead cat bounce to get all our hopes up. There is a real tail-wagging-the-dog feel.

So how do we break this seemingly never-ending cycle? It won't be easy, and will require some more pain and player turnover, imo.

We need a coach with some presence, an assertive, strong-willed task-master, with a bit of ***hole about him even, who will set high standards and be uncompromising in upholding those standards.

My prediction is that, sadly, by going down this road we will inevitably lose a few "talented" players who just won't be able to hack it - said players will need to be offered up for trade (with competent posturing to avoid it looking like a Collingwood style fire-sale) in exchange for players that we think have the scope to adequately follow a game plan that requires being 100% switched on, particularly defensively, every week.

It's not the easy road, and it's difficult to tell fans that there's more pain in store until we truly sort this out.

I feel like, to some degree, Bolton was absolutely a victim of this problem I'm talking about. Sure, his game plan was too defensive, but he was trying to install defensive standards, benchmarks, into our players and you get the feeling that in the end, some players pretty much revolted against this - voting with their on-field actions - and they absolutely got the coach they wanted - a guy who wouldn't make them too defensively accountable, and they could just "play footy to their strengths".

As Dr Phil would say - how's that working out for ya?

Tremendously accurate post.

Perfect summary. I genuinely don’t know which is the better option. My gut still says to give him another year with better support. My head says it’ll be another wasted year where we risk players departing in the pursuit of success.

My biggest concern is getting good assistants to work under an inexperienced head coach. Many of the people we may wish to see at the club, may well think they are at least equal with Teague. You could get a great assistant who only comes because the writing is on the wall for Teague and they may be able to step into his spot.

So many question marks. At least you know if you get Clarkson or Lyon, good assistants will come to learn under them.

Just because Teague doesn't let his emotions out of check on telly doesn't mean he doesn't push the players. Curnow even mentioned it in his pre-game interview that the perception of Teague being too nice was totally off base. Ratten, Malthouse, Bolton, all coaches that we have sacked - not once have we backed a coach in. Time to try something new...

You have to see improvement still. You can't back them all the way back into the cellar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of Stockholm syndrome ITT. He’s gone. You cannot tell me that we didn’t have a far superior list on the park today. * the injuries. We should not be losing to Norf.

Teague, I’m sure you’re a nice enough bloke but you are not who I see coaching Carlton moving forward.

A lot of Stockholm syndrome ITT. He’s gone. You cannot tell me that we didn’t have a far superior list on the park today. fu** the injuries. We should not be losing to Norf.

Teague, I’m sure you’re a nice enough bloke but you are not who I see coaching Carlton moving forward.

Scoreboard tells another tale ... but its about growth I suppose?

I feel like, to some degree, Bolton was absolutely a victim of this problem I'm talking about. Sure, his game plan was too defensive, but he was trying to install defensive standards, benchmarks, into our players and you get the feeling that in the end, some players pretty much revolted against this - voting with their on-field actions - and they absolutely got the coach they wanted - a guy who wouldn't make them too defensively accountable, and they could just "play footy to their strengths".

As Dr Phil would say - how's that working out for ya?

The entitlement has been passed down through the playing ranks for nearly 20 years by my estimation.

I could mention a couple of names that I strongly believes pushed this attitude during this time, but that might be unfair.

You have to see improvement still. You can't back them all the way back into the cellar.
I understand but there have been things that have happened that are outside Teague's control - e.g. having the longest injury list in the AFL, having a clear deficit of KPPs at the moment and incredibly poor goalkicking accuracy (especially compared to our opponents)

I understand but there have been things that have happened that are outside Teague's control - e.g. having the longest injury list in the AFL, having a clear deficit of KPPs at the moment and incredibly poor goalkicking accuracy (especially compared to our opponents)

It's the lack of intensity that hurts the most and that isn't injury related. The lack of change during a match to stop a run on, to block up the corridor. I mean, our big hail mary was Weitering up forward.

Neither. It looks like he's reading his obituary, just a matter of whether Collingwood or Carlton get their preferred coaching candidate or have to settle for leftovers.

It's not the words, it's the fact that he was willing to be 'dial a quote' just weeks after he quit/was sacked. Why be visible at all on this? Not sure whether he is potting Carlton or somehow putting his hand up to say, 'see it happens when I'm not there too'.

He didn't really answer the question about the review and what the loss did for his chances
Obviously was not good for his chances of coaching next year
Whether he believes in this group and anything else doesn't really matter
Think the belief from the club that HE is the man is gone

It's the lack of intensity that hurts the most and that isn't injury related. The lack of change during a match to stop a run on, to block up the corridor. I mean, our big hail mary was Weitering up forward.
But is the lack of intensity a coaches problem? To me that is an issue with the players and needs to be rectified because I feel like pressure/effort/will is what we need to improve most to make that jump into the 8

Is Barker supporting Teague or pointing the finger at Teague here? Very interesting for him to offer his opinion at this point.

It is Barker ending any doubt that Teague is still viable. He is literally saying he is already gone.

“The disappointment would be significant at the moment,” Barker told AFL Nation.

“There’s a lot of history when the dominoes start to fall, (there are) two teams that need coaches. Okay, how do we get our hands on the best guy?

“Carlton, Collingwood, obviously proud clubs. Expectations seem to be a lot higher at those clubs.

“How that plays out, it’ll be an interesting watch from here.”

Seems very categoric.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back