ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Austria are riding on a high having just beaten a full-strength Russia in Russia W/O Thiem.

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone know who Australia plays in September?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Hewitt is going to fight hard to keep the davis cup tradition alive. Not sure if he will have enough support.

You would think the ITF would be confident of getting this though before going public with their plan.

They managed to get through massive changes to the Challenger and ITF tour dor next year so they are not afraid of change.

I think Hewitt just doesn't have enough support from the top players. Most enjoy Davis Cup but their focus is on winning Grand Slams.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
The Davis cup is dead.

So much politics going on with this vote. I can't see that this will be the end of it.

I agree that the Davis cup needed to change, but this is not it. The home and away aspect should not have been touched, and certainly not by a footballer.

If you want the best players to play in it, then the talk should be around them and what aspects could be improved .

Wonder what will happen to the Fed cup now.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Also, the date they have chosen is pathetic. Way too late in the year. Tennis needs an off season. .. end date is 24th of November.

Something has to break. This calendar, with the ATP World champs, this" thing" and laver cup can't all survive.

we (Australia) are the biggest traditionalists in the tennis world. You would think the ITF will try and protect its new baby and date. Maybe I am paranoid but I reckon they will put pressure on us to change. Hopefully I just fearing the worse. Been no talk about it. But I wonder how we will react. Will we fall into line. Will out best players want to play.

As an aside, as Kvitova has stated, I am happy none of this discussion has hit the women side of things. Cause this is getting messy

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
So the radical changes proposed are going ahead :thumbsdown: RIP Davis Cup. Would love to know who voted which way. Seems tradition counts for nothing these days. Very disappointed. Can't see this new format lasting.

As for the Fed Cup, I'll bet my bottom dollar it goes the same way.

Edit: Seems from this article that Australia, England and Germany were three federations that voted against the changes. America voted for them apparently (not surprising since they have already reduced their GS to 3 sets).

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/08/17/01/18/davis-cup-shake-up-gets-green-light

Last edited:
I like the changes it actually helps our players. We don’t need to burn Kyrgios out and he doesn’t need to play 10’s of extra matches a year which costs him towards the back end.

There needed to be changes the format was stale and it wasn’t right going forward.

I knew this would get voted in so I kind of accepted defeat about this a while ago. Especially when the amount of money the new sponsor was going to throw at it, no way the ITF weren't going to go down this path. It's sad, really they could just have comp every 2 years or make it a 8 team world group like fed cup and then at least hold the final in a reasonable part of the season. Now, it's still at the end of Novemeber (which is absurd) but we've taken a lot of what was good about the comp.

Another question is now, what is the point of the playoff ties in September? There's a 24 team playoff in February, surely some of the teams that lose in September would be playing in that playoff?

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
So some corrupt billionaire comes into tennis and bribes a bunch of nations to create a new competition and destroy a long held competition, over 100 years old.

The voting results held in secret, the new competition not exactly a concept that sets the world on fire.

The ITF is the new Fifa. Corrupt to the core.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
So some corrupt billionaire comes into tennis and bribes a bunch of nations to create a new competition and destroy a long held competition, over 100 years old.

The voting results held in secret, the new competition not exactly a concept that sets the world on fire.

Is there any sporting organisation that's not corrupt these days? FIFA, ITF, IOC, AFL... it's depressing.

Edit: Forgot one of the big ones, ICC

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth

looking at the voting trends, most of the poorer countries voted for it due to the money they will get, while France, Spain and the US voted for it for hosting rights. self interest ruled

The fact the players didn't get a say on it is sad.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
The Davis Cup was clearly on the decline for some time now, but that doesn't make it any less heart-breaking. Remember the 90s, when surf life saving Ironman, triathlon, the Hopman Cup, even golf all had more popular cache. Alas. Many Australians like myself grew up with the Davis Cup as one of the most coveted trophies in sport, staying up through the night to cheer the Aussies.

I'm willing to give a new revamp a go, as there was sufficient mandate for ITF to try something fresh with this flagship tradition. But this to me just reads like the Dusseldorf World Team Cup, and we all know how irrelevant that was. The Davis Cup is sadly dead.

Ebden can't play on clay, so that's not surprising although a doubles spot could still of been argued but would of been better than Jordan "I have been out of form for 12 months but still get a spot because i am friends with Lleyton" Thompson. And yeah i would probably choose lleyton over both of those anyway still.

Still don't understand the purpose of this tie with the format change. We should be playing a playoff anyway, has the ITF actually explained it?

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting call.

Our #2 v Thiem is basically a gimme to them anyway.

So is Millman actually sick or are they saving him for Novak.

Thompson has an OK record on clay but only because he plays clay challengers in China every year which you can't imagine being very strong.

Millman doesn't have much of a record on clay but has won tour level matches against players like Struff and Bedene this year who would be comparable to Novak. He beat Pouille too but I'd say he tanked an early round in Budapest.....

Personally I'd be backing Millman in over Thompson against Novak if we get that far.

Then again maybe they just wanted AdM as #1 as Millman is ranked higher than him which I think would automatically make Millman #1 by default. That would have left AdM v Thiem and she could have been all over day 1. AdM v Novak gives us a much better chance of being 1-1 after the first day at least.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I'm not convinced that Millman is/was sick. Did a lengthy interview on RSN on Tuesday morning and seemed fine. What's a bet he has some minor injury (back playing up again after his efforts at the US maybe). Disappointed as I wanted to watch him play again (gives me a clear run for the footy though :thumbsu: ).

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Given Jordon is sliding and desperate for points he should be playing the Challenger in the US this week and not a lamb to the slaughter out here.

Back