Draft Expert Davo-27's 2022 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

View attachment 1523112
Interesting considering he was All-Australian this year but Okay
i dont care what other sites or people post, sometimes we agree, sometimes we dont, thats fine.

i have seen nothing from Billy Richardson in 3-4 games that would have me rate him highly, but maybe his future performances will change my mind.

It

It'll continue as long as we have the amount of stoppages we do. Mathews touched on this himself I seem to recall. As long as the game keeps being altered to cause more stoppages, we have to have bigger bodies around the stoppages. Most don't realise but once "prior opportunity" came in, stoppages just kept growing. Simply because every second tackle now sees a resultant ball up stoppage through a no prior call. Its endemic. So many rules and changes have flowed from this single biggest screw up to try and address the increases in stoppages and resultant congestion. Now we also know it's affecting the actual range of Aussie kids and consequently numbers in total the game caters towards. Make no mistake, "prior opportunity" has been the single biggest rule mistake in AFL history.
Meh, the game always allowed for ball players to get first hands on the ball, the quality and amount of tackling just went through the roof. Holding around the stoppages is a far bigger factor. You can't ping a guy who has the ball for half a second when he was being tackled before he even secured the ball.

Small forwards are probably more important than ever. Elite agility to hunt down defenders. Small backs are out of vogue because zone defending requires switching on to different opponents. Same for small wingers, when the wings are asked to be zone defenders at most clubs.

Tiny mids who get bodied off the ball are certainly an issue, but I'd argue that's true of taller skinny mids too. Power and explosiveness is vital for modern on ballers and I think smaller guys are actually underrated. Neale, Viney, Tom Atkins, Rory Laird. Guys who have that thick build and quick first step make for very important stoppage players to compliment the big body bulls.

The ideal modern midfield is a couple of 187cm ish bulls, a 178-182cm quick tackling type who can get right in over the ball as well as be a great tackler and if you've got one a 190cm+ utility.

in the final champs game, i was there watching and i didnt take notes, but i'll share my thoughts on the game

i thought Vic Country dominated in the first 3 quarters, they just focussed too heavily on kicking to Humphrey who was too busy trying to out wrestle his opponent for a goal out the back rather than winning the contest, as soon as it became a contest in the air or on the ground he lost every single one i believe, he finished with 1.3 i believe and all shots looked very awkward, but he knows how to celebrate which gets the fans on side

Harley Reid dominated Nick Watson, there was a bit of something said between the 2 and Reid treated him with little to no respect, pretty much beating him with ease in most contests, then when Harley Reid went forward he made some highly touted defenders look stupid in the contest, Lewis Hayes being one where he took a mark over the top of, even though he gives away 10cm in height

inaccuracy cost Vic Country in the end, Cadman going 3.3 although some tough shots, Konstanty went 1.3 i believe also, they really missed Duursma who is a real weapon for them and can kick accurately at goal, also wasting so many forward 50 entries on Humphrey (1.3 also i believe) who lost way too many contests and chose to play loose rather than win contests which was frustrating to see

Hollands was busy all game and looked good on the wing, he was one of the guys who went looking for Humphrey the most and Humphrey not going for the mark and trrying to wrestle and get on the end of the loose bouncing ball did him no favours, probably making a few observers disappointed in Hollands i50's moreso Humphrey playing for loose footy.

Szybkowski had a disappointing GF for Dandenong and again was disappointing in the champs decider, it is a bit out of character for him, but something to note, im sure the "i was injured" excuses will come out, but sad to see him fall short in the big games

Oscar Murdoch and Hugh Bond did good jobs in defence, it was a very up and down day for Van Es, i was a little disappointed with his game overall, losing too many contests and turning the ball over did him no favours

Clark, Hustwaite, Long, Hollands and Clohesy gave Country the field dominance for most of the game, but good goal kicking is good footy as they say

Tsatas, Ashcroft, MacKenzie and Hotton gave Vic Metro a chance and they were much more organised going forward and more accurate at goal which was the difference in the end

Gruzewski had a hot 5 minute period kicking 2 goals and taking a speccy, had a couple more touches for the game, but was hot in the 1st quarter

Sheezle started slow but finished with a few goals, Petric had a good moment in the goal square kicking a soccer bicycle kick type goal from the side

Weddle did a good job on limiting Cadmans influence and forcing him wide or to the 50 to kick for goal

Cooper Harvey stood up in the last quarter having a few big influencial moments including the winning goal taking a mark in the goal square ect

Harvey Gallagher played well, the one thing that stood out to me was how he weighs his kicking, it was very precise, which i liked

Jefferson had a good game, taking a few marks and kicking accurately for the most part although his first shot missed by a fair bit

Pascu and Davey did ok early, didnt really notice them a lot, i still need to watch the replay and take notes though.

in the final champs game, i was there watching and i didnt take notes, but i'll share my thoughts on the game
You've nailed it, however, the only player that you missed is Bailey McDonald. I thought his run and speed to create off HB was great. He was beaten early but redeemed himself to have a very solid game. He didn't do his draft chances any harm thats for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've nailed it, however, the only player that you missed is Bailey McDonald. I thought his run and speed to create off HB was great. He was beaten early but redeemed himself to have a very solid game. He didn't do his draft chances any harm thats for sure.
Bailey McDonald had a few good running moments, but on the other hand also had some moments where he lost control of the footy or got tackled ect, he seems like a running type and a club might be interested in developing a running outside type? he could go anywhere from 30 to undrafted, its hard to tell whether a club is interested in that type of player or not?

a player i liked in his draft year and has been performing at sanfl level for the last couple of years is Josh Gore, i wonder if he will be given a chance in the AFL system?

played 30 sanfl games and kicked 43 goals for West Adelaide coming down from the Gold Coast to ply his trade in the sanfl, i havnt been following him that closely, but im hearing his name been thrown around and im curious if the 21 yr old gets picked up or not? played 17 games and kicked 28.10 goals.behinds this season.

players i think are draft worthy this year, the number of players is 92 so only 60 or so of these guys might get drafted, some will miss out and a few smokeys might be taken that i dont name.

VM (24) Ashcroft, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Tsatas, MacKenzie, Jefferson, Hayes, Hotton, Weddle, Drury, A.Davey Jnr, Clarke, Verrell, Teal, O'Keefe, Penny, J.Davey, Harvey, Gruzewski, Petric, Hempel, Waindsor, Ashwin, J.Lawrence.

VC (25) Cadman, Clark, Hollands, Humphrey, George, Hustwaite, Szybkowski, Burgiel, Long, Binns, Bond, Konstanty, O'Sullivan, T.Clohesy, Schuback, Mitchell, Gallagher, Vickery, Northam, Knobel, M.Clohesy, Fogarty, Van Es, Murdoch, McMullin

SA (16) Phillipou, Keeler, D'Aloia, Barnett, Dowling, K.Ryan, J.Ryan, Walker, Lovelock, Magor, Scully, Lemmey, Michaelanny, Foster, Sadler (edit) W.Verrall

WA (16) Ginbey, Hewett, Busslinger, Jones, Hagan, Allan, Gilbey, Michael, MacNeill, Julian, Baker, Cole, Dewar, Broadbent, Cleaver, Green

Allies (11) Cowan, Fletcher, Munkara, McCallum, Brain, Leary, Gillbee, Rowston, Madden, Campbell, W.Edwards

Last edited:
players i think are draft worthy this year, the number of players is 92 so only 60 or so of these guys might get drafted, some will miss out and a few smokeys might be taken that i dont name.

VM (24) Ashcroft, Wardlaw, Sheezel, Tsatas, MacKenzie, Jefferson, Hayes, Hotton, Weddle, Drury, A.Davey Jnr, Clarke, Verrell, Teal, O'Keefe, Penny, J.Davey, Harvey, Gruzewski, Petric, Hempel, Waindsor, Ashwin, J.Lawrence.

VC (25) Cadman, Clark, Hollands, Humphrey, George, Hustwaite, Szybkowski, Burgiel, Long, Binns, Bond, Konstanty, O'Sullivan, T.Clohesy, Schuback, Mitchell, Gallagher, Vickery, Northam, Knobel, M.Clohesy, Fogarty, Van Es, Murdoch, McMullin

SA (15) Phillipou, Keeler, D'Aloia, Barnett, Dowling, K.Ryan, J.Ryan, Walker, Lovelock, Magor, Scully, Lemmey, Michaelanny, Foster, Sadler

WA (16) Ginbey, Hewett, Busslinger, Jones, Hagan, Allan, Gilbey, Michael, MacNeill, Julian, Baker, Cole, Dewar, Broadbent, Cleaver, Green

Allies (11) Cowan, Fletcher, Munkara, McCallum, Brain, Leary, Gillbee, Rowston, Madden, Campbell, W.Edwards
I can only surmise you haven't seen a lot of Will Verrall to not have him as a SA draftable talent? He definitely fits into your smokeys category then.

I can only surmise you haven't seen a lot of Will Verrall to not have him as a SA draftable talent? He definitely fits into your smokeys category then.
just looking him up you may be right, he looks a good ruck man, on a similar level to Barnett, Foster, Scully. Lemmey as mid draft talents, but i guess those guys got the nod for the state team ahead of him, i have not seen much of him tbh, but he could be one i've missed.

just looking him up you may be right, he looks a good ruck man, on a similar level to Barnett, Foster, Scully. Lemmey as mid draft talents, but i guess those guys got the nod for the state team ahead of him, i have not seen much of him tbh, but he could be one i've missed.

He played in 8 of Jaiden Magor's 10 games for South Adelaide this year. So if you saw Magor, you would have seen Verrall too. He was the big guy dominating in the middle.

They only got the nod before him (barring Barnett) because he had a very limited pre-season with "groin" issues that saw him miss the early games and when he did resume he played forward (and looked pretty good there too) until he got some run back into his legs.
He then dominated in the ruck at U18's level a couple of weeks before the Nationals where he only got a run in the last game playing mostly forward (2 goals) and looked SA's best ruck in the limited goes he had on ball. After that he absolutely lit up the SANFL U18's hence the National Combine invite.

i thought Vic Country dominated in the first 3 quarters, they just focussed too heavily on kicking to Humphrey who was too busy trying to out wrestle his opponent for a goal out the back rather than winning the contest, as soon as it became a contest in the air or on the ground he lost every single one i believe, he finished with 1.3 i believe and all shots looked very awkward, but he knows how to celebrate which gets the fans on side

Harley Reid dominated Nick Watson, there was a bit of something said between the 2 and Reid treated him with little to no respect, pretty much beating him with ease in most contests, then when Harley Reid went forward he made some highly touted defenders look stupid in the contest, Lewis Hayes being one where he took a mark over the top of, even though he gives away 10cm in height

inaccuracy cost Vic Country in the end, Cadman going 3.3 although some tough shots, Konstanty went 1.3 i believe also, they really missed Duursma who is a real weapon for them and can kick accurately at goal, also wasting so many forward 50 entries on Humphrey (1.3 also i believe) who lost way too many contests and chose to play loose rather than win contests which was frustrating to see

Hollands was busy all game and looked good on the wing, he was one of the guys who went looking for Humphrey the most and Humphrey not going for the mark and trrying to wrestle and get on the end of the loose bouncing ball did him no favours, probably making a few observers disappointed in Hollands i50's moreso Humphrey playing for loose footy.

Szybkowski had a disappointing GF for Dandenong and again was disappointing in the champs decider, it is a bit out of character for him, but something to note, im sure the "i was injured" excuses will come out, but sad to see him fall short in the big games

Oscar Murdoch and Hugh Bond did good jobs in defence, it was a very up and down day for Van Es, i was a little disappointed with his game overall, losing too many contests and turning the ball over did him no favours

Clark, Hustwaite, Long, Hollands and Clohesy gave Country the field dominance for most of the game, but good goal kicking is good footy as they say

Tsatas, Ashcroft, MacKenzie and Hotton gave Vic Metro a chance and they were much more organised going forward and more accurate at goal which was the difference in the end

Gruzewski had a hot 5 minute period kicking 2 goals and taking a speccy, had a couple more touches for the game, but was hot in the 1st quarter

Sheezle started slow but finished with a few goals, Petric had a good moment in the goal square kicking a soccer bicycle kick type goal from the side

Weddle did a good job on limiting Cadmans influence and forcing him wide or to the 50 to kick for goal

Cooper Harvey stood up in the last quarter having a few big influencial moments including the winning goal taking a mark in the goal square ect

Harvey Gallagher played well, the one thing that stood out to me was how he weighs his kicking, it was very precise, which i liked

Jefferson had a good game, taking a few marks and kicking accurately for the most part although his first shot missed by a fair bit

Pascu and Davey did ok early, didnt really notice them a lot, i still need to watch the replay and take notes though.
I thought Binns had his best game by far that I have seen you didn’t mention him keen on your thoughts?

I thought Binns had his best game by far that I have seen you didn’t mention him keen on your thoughts?
Binns was influential and showed his running prowess, involvement from stoppage to stoppage and won his own ball when required. Definitely worthy of a mention amongst the group of best players in that game.

Binns has been good all champs, but i find him frustrating at times, he has a good running game and i think in 1 game he got around 40 touches, his game was good without being great, i find over the course of probably a dozen games or more his decision making skills and disposal let him down too often, i have seen dozens of grubber kicks from him too, but he has good traits in his running and accumulation ability, he can kick the odd goal, good endurance, its just the mentals that let him down like composure, decision making and the odd skill error.

just looking to see how RMC rate him and he isnt in their top 40, im not sure if he was in Cal Twomeys top 25-30's either? but should be drafted at some stage as he has good AFL traits and a club might be able to iron out the mistakes in his game?

October Update on my top 100

i do think Cadman is a genuine chance to goto the Roos at pick 2 after the Ashcroft bid as he has shown match winning potential as a KPF more often later in the year and seeing as the Roos dont have many KPF's and their best is an ok one in Larkey he would be a smart pick up for them, so even though i rate certain players in positions, it wont align with clubs needs ect.

1. Will Ashcroft - 180cm 76kg - Sandringham (Bris F/S)
2. Harry Sheezel - 184cm 77kg - Sandringham
3. George Wardlaw - 182cm 81kg - Oakleigh
-----------------------------------------------------------Elite Tier ^
4. Aaron Cadman - 194cm 88kg - GWV
5. Elijah Tsatas - 186cm 79kg - Oakleigh
6. Cam MacKenzie - 187cm 80kg - Sandringham (StK NGA)
7. Jhye Clark - 181cm 77kg - Geelong
8. Mattaes Phillipou - 191cm 83kg - WWT
9. Jedd Busslinger - 196cm 82kg - East Perth
------------------------------------------------------------ Top Tier ^
10. Reuben Ginbey - 189cm 85kg - East Perth
11. Matthew Jefferson - 194cm 76kg - Oakleigh
12. Bailey Humphrey - 184cm 86kg - Gippsland
13. Lewis Hayes - 197cm 81kg - Eastern
14. Elijah Hewett - 186cm 82kg - Swan Districts
15. Isaac Keeler - 198cm 88kg - North Adelaide (Adel NGA)
16. Oliver Hollands - 184cm 71kg - Murray
17. Olli Hotton - 181cm 77kg - Sandringham
18. Jaspa Fletcher - 184cm 73kg - Bris A (Bris A)
19. Adam D'Aloia - 186cm 86kg - WWT
20. Brayden George - 185cm 87kg - Murray
21. Anthony Munkara - 186cm 77kg - NT/West Adelaide (Ess NGA)
22. Mitch Szybkowski - 186cm 84kg - Dandenong
23. Tom McCallum - 192cm 78kg - Tasmania
--------------------------------------------------------------- High Quality Prospects ^
24. Coby Burgiel - 183cm 76kg - Gippsland
25. Josh Weddle - 191cm 87kg - Oakleigh
26. Darcy Jones - 175cm 67kg - Swan Districts
27. Henry Hustwaite - 194cm 84kg - Dandenong
28. Al Davey Jnr - 181cm 74kg - Oakleigh (Ess F/S)
29. Jed Hagan - 175cm 73kg - East Fremantle
30. Lachlan Cowan - 188cm 81kg - Tasmania
31. Kobe Ryan - 183cm 73kg - West Adelaide
32. Harry Barnett - 202cm 93kg - West Adelaide
33. Shadeau Brain - 185cm - Bris A (Bris A)
34. Charlie Clarke - 182cm 75kg - Sandringham
35. Ed Allan - 194cm 82kg - Claremont
36. Brandon Leary - 177cm - Tasmania
37. Hugh Bond - 184cm 81kg - GWV
38. Luke Teal - 188cm 78kg - Oakleigh
39. Will Dowling - 187cm 79kg - North Adelaide
40. Jonti Schuback - 183cm 75kg - Gippsland
41. Noah Long - 178cm 74kg - Gippsland
42. Archie Lovelock - 178cm 72kg - Glenlg
43. Max Gruzewski - 192cm 84kg - Oakleigh
44. Blake Drury - 177cm 73kg - Oakleigh
45. Jacob Konstanty - 176cm 70kg - Gippsland
46. Cooper Vickery - 180cm 72kg - Gippsland (Haw NGA)
47. Jake Walker - 184cm 85kg - Glenlg
48. Jaiden Magor - 185cm 79kg - South Adelaide
49. Sam Gilbey - 188cm 71kg - Claremont
50. Harry Rowston - 180cm - Calder/GWS A (GWS A)
---------------------------------------------------------------- Quality Prospects ^

51Callum Verrell..... 76Tyson Walls
52Will Verrall..... 77Harvey Gallagher
53Phoenix Foster..... 78Luke Michael
54Ben Hempel..... 79Jason Gillbee
55Cooper Harvey..... 80Kai Windsor
56Jakob Ryan..... 81Rye Penny
57Harry Lemmey..... 82Jordyn Baker
58Thomas Scully..... 83Rohan MacNeill
59Jayden Davey..... 84Ted Clohesy
60Max Michaelanny..... 85Max Clohesy
61Jovan Petric..... 86Olivier Northam
62Jaxon Binns..... 87James Van Es
63Caleb Mitchell..... 88Jackson Broadbent
64Luke Bailey..... 89Felix Fogarty
65Tyrell Dewar..... 90Oscar Murdoch
66Jerome Lawrence...... 91Toby McMullin
67Yuyu Ashwin...... 92Kane Bevan
68Griff Julian..... 93Brady Wright
69Seth Campbell..... 94Jack Cleaver
70Harry Cole..... 95Steely Green
71Nick Madden...... 96Lloyd Johnston
72Max Knobel..... 97Will Edwards
73Jack O'Sullivan..... 98Nathan Barkla
74Nick Sadler..... 99Finn Emile-Brennan
75Hudson O'Keefe..... 100Jaelen Pavlidis

hopefully i havnt missed any?

October Update on my top 100

i do think Cadman is a genuine chance to goto the Roos at pick 2 after the Ashcroft bid as he has shown match winning potential as a KPF more often later in the year and seeing as the Roos dont have many KPF's and their best is an ok one in Larkey he would be a smart pick up for them, so even though i rate certain players in positions, it wont align with clubs needs ect.

1. Will Ashcroft - 180cm 76kg - Sandringham (Bris F/S)
2. Harry Sheezel - 184cm 77kg - Sandringham
3. George Wardlaw - 182cm 81kg - Oakleigh
-----------------------------------------------------------Elite Tier ^
4. Aaron Cadman - 194cm 88kg - GWV
5. Elijah Tsatas - 186cm 79kg - Oakleigh
6. Cam MacKenzie - 187cm 80kg - Sandringham (StK NGA)
7. Jhye Clark - 181cm 77kg - Geelong
8. Mattaes Phillipou - 191cm 83kg - WWT
9. Jedd Busslinger - 196cm 82kg - East Perth
------------------------------------------------------------ Top Tier ^
10. Reuben Ginbey - 189cm 85kg - East Perth
11. Matthew Jefferson - 194cm 76kg - Oakleigh
12. Bailey Humphrey - 184cm 86kg - Gippsland
13. Lewis Hayes - 197cm 81kg - Eastern
14. Elijah Hewett - 186cm 82kg - Swan Districts
15. Isaac Keeler - 198cm 88kg - North Adelaide (Adel NGA)
16. Oliver Hollands - 184cm 71kg - Murray
17. Olli Hotton - 181cm 77kg - Sandringham
18. Jaspa Fletcher - 184cm 73kg - Bris A (Bris A)
19. Adam D'Aloia - 186cm 86kg - WWT
20. Brayden George - 185cm 87kg - Murray
21. Anthony Munkara - 186cm 77kg - NT/West Adelaide (Ess NGA)
22. Mitch Szybkowski - 186cm 84kg - Dandenong
23. Tom McCallum - 192cm 78kg - Tasmania
--------------------------------------------------------------- High Quality Prospects ^
24. Coby Burgiel - 183cm 76kg - Gippsland
25. Josh Weddle - 191cm 87kg - Oakleigh
26. Darcy Jones - 175cm 67kg - Swan Districts
27. Henry Hustwaite - 194cm 84kg - Dandenong
28. Al Davey Jnr - 181cm 74kg - Oakleigh (Ess F/S)
29. Jed Hagan - 175cm 73kg - East Fremantle
30. Lachlan Cowan - 188cm 81kg - Tasmania
31. Kobe Ryan - 183cm 73kg - West Adelaide
32. Harry Barnett - 202cm 93kg - West Adelaide
33. Shadeau Brain - 185cm - Bris A (Bris A)
34. Charlie Clarke - 182cm 75kg - Sandringham
35. Ed Allan - 194cm 82kg - Claremont
36. Brandon Leary - 177cm - Tasmania
37. Hugh Bond - 184cm 81kg - GWV
38. Luke Teal - 188cm 78kg - Oakleigh
39. Will Dowling - 187cm 79kg - North Adelaide
40. Jonti Schuback - 183cm 75kg - Gippsland
41. Noah Long - 178cm 74kg - Gippsland
42. Archie Lovelock - 178cm 72kg - Glenlg
43. Max Gruzewski - 192cm 84kg - Oakleigh
44. Blake Drury - 177cm 73kg - Oakleigh
45. Jacob Konstanty - 176cm 70kg - Gippsland
46. Cooper Vickery - 180cm 72kg - Gippsland (Haw NGA)
47. Jake Walker - 184cm 85kg - Glenlg
48. Jaiden Magor - 185cm 79kg - South Adelaide
49. Sam Gilbey - 188cm 71kg - Claremont
50. Harry Rowston - 180cm - Calder/GWS A (GWS A)
---------------------------------------------------------------- Quality Prospects ^

51Callum Verrell..... 76Tyson Walls
52Will Verrall..... 77Harvey Gallagher
53Phoenix Foster..... 78Luke Michael
54Ben Hempel..... 79Jason Gillbee
55Cooper Harvey..... 80Kai Windsor
56Jakob Ryan..... 81Rye Penny
57Harry Lemmey..... 82Jordyn Baker
58Thomas Scully..... 83Rohan MacNeill
59Jayden Davey..... 84Ted Clohesy
60Max Michaelanny..... 85Max Clohesy
61Jovan Petric..... 86Olivier Northam
62Jaxon Binns..... 87James Van Es