Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Top 25 information Sheet

1. Harley Reid - Bendigo - 185cm 85kg - a player that reminds me a bit of Luke Hodge, im not saying he is going to be as good, but i like his intercepting, defensive work, his strong midfield burst, his kicking isnt as good as Hodge nor his Leadership, but he has that aggressive aura and strong build

2. Jed Walter - GCS A - 195cm 91kg (GCS) - he reminds me of Tom Hawkins, a strong bodied, thick boned athlete, i mean this is a rare commodity, could turn into an absolute star of the comp, a player every club wants, if Gold Coast develop him right and keep him fit and healthy he could be an exciting player for over a decade

3. Colby McKercher - Tasmania - 181cm 72kg - reminds me a lot of Zach Merrett in that he has an inside and outside game, beautiful left foot kick and the speed and ability to find space, can also kick some lovely goals on the run

4. Zane Duursma - Gippsland - 189cm 79kg - Bailey Fritsch look alike, star medium forward potentially, with the option of going through the midfield, his movement in traffic is fantastic and his accuracy at goal with his height makes him useful and potentially a finals winner as these types really step up in finals

5. Dan Curtin - Claremont - 196cm 91kg - a player i was hoping would confirm himself as a great tall defender, but spent most of his year in the midfield, he looks good in the midfield showing off his endurance that i didnt realise he had.

6. Ethan Read - GCS A - 200cm 90kg (GCS) - a player i wasnt sure of last year, but really dominated games and has some great athletic traits, really stamped himself on the champs as a player to look out for, dominant in the ruck and around the clearance or with his athleticism could play kpp

7. Ryley Sanders - Tas/Sand - 186cm 85kg - i think he will become an elite inside mid, 2021 i thought he was a lock for top 10, 2022 he came to Sandy put on weight and looked a little out of sorts, but 2023 he reminded everyone why he was so highly rated when he was in Tassie, ball magnet, team orientated, star for the Allies, looks like JHF but plays slightly different roles and more consistent

8. Nick Watson - Eastern - 170cm 67kg - skillful strong small forward, has played roles off of hbf and small stints in the midfield, but it his marking and goal kicking from anywhere which is where his real value lies, amazing speed and agility, tough, overhead is brilliant for his height, lacks a little defensively

9. Connor O'Sullivan - Murray - 198cm 92kg - a player for Murray that didnt set the world on fire early, but it was obvious he has amazing athletic traits, then to see him really step it up in the rep season to guarantee top 10 selection, a tall guy that can play the tall defender blanketing a tall forward as well as be the running player off half back or the interceptor from nowhere

10. Nate Caddy - Northern - 192cm 91kg - a player last year that would fly into half a dozen packs every game, really exciting forward from Northern Knights, but his accuracy at goal was woeful, he improved his accuracy, put on weight, struggled a little with injury this year, but has generally seemed slow or not as aggressive this year which i would like to see fixed, he is an undersized kpf but he has so many positive traits that he is a prospect some teams would be looking seriously at, but he has dropped down the order a little imo and might be top 10

11. Darcy Wilson - Murray - 185cm 73kg - a player that grew on me early this year, had some good performances for Murray/AFL Academy he did well at the champs but didnt star, moves well on the outside, he is a goal kicker, so when he is in range he is a danger, plays wing and hff pretty well, should go first round somewhere or early 2nd round

12. Jake Rogers - GCS A - 172cm 67kg (GCS) - a player that was playing at a high level for GCS A in the CTL before being one of the best if not the best player for the 2 games AFL Academy series pipping H.Reid, his champs were good but he played 3rd fiddle to Sanders and McKercher, has good speed to find space, tries to keep kicks low too often, but can kick a goal, tackles hard, gets into good position and runs both ways

13. Harry Demattia - Dandenong - 184cm 77kg - had a few games for Dandenong that caught my eye, 1 play he intercepted a kick on the wing, burst forward and kicked a long goal, had a few burst plays that really stood out from everyone else, so i was big on him pre-champs, had a decent champs, in a couple games really showed off his speed and burst and caught the attention of people, i thought his kicking from defence in one of the latter games showed off his kicking skills, has a few similarities with Jai Newcombe but he has a burst of speed Newk doesnt have

14. Caleb Windsor - Eastern - 184cm 74kg - a player that was playing beautifully for 2 years now for Eastern, but it was this years champs that solidified him as a real top end prospect, he stepped up to the pressures of rep footy and performed, he didnt go in his shell, he took every opportunity and really shun

15. James Leake - Tasmania - 188cm 74kg - another player that was good for their CTL team, in this case Tassie, but it was the fact he stepped up to the next level at the champs that got people excited about his prospects, he then went on to play top tier footy as a defender and then as a forward in the CTL and CTL Finals series

16. Jack Delean - Sth Adel - 181cm 73kg - 2 years ago he was being talked up as a possible pick 1 and being compared to Isaac Heeney (when Heeney was a t the top of his powers in 2021), had a quiet 2022 and everyone forgot about him, his year this year has been great, he was a highlights reel at the champs going for speccies or kicking freak goals, real excitement machine and unfortunately because SA were so average i think a few have been under rated imo

17. Will McCabe - Central Dist - 197cm 81kg (HAW) - a player that stood out to me at last years u16s and to find out he was a FS for the Hawks was a bonus, he was one of few highlights for SA at the champs, he got beaten by Walter until he got help, but otherwise looked good back there on most opponents, great in the air, quick on the ground, has been used as a hbf mostly at club level, stacking up disposals and using his run, but at the next levels he will have to do more KPD work as well as general play

18. Charlie Edwards - Sandringham - 190cm - came onto the scene later in the year, he is one im a bit unsure about, but i cant deny his abilities, very quick, good clearance speed, decent skills, disposal numbers not so high, but his traits are exciting

19. Koltyn Tholstrup - Subiaco - 188cm 80kg - a player that has a great personality if the interviews and youtube shows he has been on are any indication, had good agility and 2k time trials, really good overhead, tough, clever, skillful, can play as an x factor forward or a endurance midfielder, plays both positions well, but i would say better forward

20. Mitch Edwards - Peel - 207cm 90kg - a contested marking ruck, tap winning ruck, 207cm Tim English type ruckman, was ok at the champs, i think he had injury issues, but probably fell a little in rankings from knocking on top 10 to close to first round selection, personality wise seems a little withdrawn, needs a bit more aggression imo

21. Zane Zakostelsky - Claremont - 196cm 90kg - a player im excited by, i thought he was a solid player at the champs which is when i 1st saw him, then he goes on to play good footy in the wafl colts finals series, not just playing well, but he had to play ruck and killed it for a short ruck, his work in traffic sold me on his ability, his run and ability to rebound from a loss, these things point to a strong competitive mind on top of his athletic abilities and his height and his combine results make me want to put him on the verge of 1st round selection

22. Ollie Murphy - Sandringham - 200cm 85kg - a player that can control the air, uses it ok, interceptor, tall, he had a fantastic champs as a tall defender controlling the aerial contests, his athletic ability and endurance are a bit of an unknown, i really like his potential, but a few similar players to him have been busts in recent years and so im cautious with this 1, so i have him going a little later than others

23. Billy Wilson - Dandenong -182cm 71kg - speedy hbf that played a good group of games in the midfield and looked fantastic in there, i really like his workrate and speed and ability to find space, decent skills, he reminds me of Impey, CJ or Seamus Mitchell at the Hawks, we always seems to have these types, but he has shown an ability to also play inside midfield and have bursts out of the clearance which is really exciting to see in a prospect

24. Koen Sanchez - East Frem - 178cm 71kg - has been injured for the last year and a half, but was an absolute gun as a youngster prior to injury, had a good champs last year between injuries and was fantastic as a forward again this champs, really steps up to the occasion and is usually a midfielder, but can play as a forward as his 2nd position

25. Jordan Croft - Calder - 200cm 80kg (WB) - athletic talented kpp, very tall at 2m, good on a lead, decent mark, kicking accuracy issues, played a little in the ruck, Bulldogs may see him as a defensive option with his athletic traits?

i will write up the next 25 soon...

26. Archer Reid - Gippsland - 203cm 93kg - inconsistent player, last year caught my attention at a vic country trials game, got a few opportunities for vic country last year and didnt do much unfortunately but was a good player for Gippsland, this year played 1 good game early at Gippsland, then went missing injured i believe, then came this year champs and again didnt do much until the last game or 2, had a few big games against weakened CTL teams, i was hoping for more, but at his height he should get on a list, but unfortunately he didnt live up to expectations

27. Logan Morris - Western - 192cm 90kg - a good undersized kpf, not sure if 191-192cm so undersized, knows where the goals are, works hard, had a good game for Werribee in the vfl, had a couple games in defence for VM and a couple forward games for VM, seems to have worked on his fitness and running ability

28. Harvey Johnston - Sandringham - 184cm 76kg - talented player for Sandringham, has played in all sorts of roles, as a forward, defender, wing and midfielder, very versatile and skillful player, should be given an opportunity at an AFL club, long limbs, clever disposal, good running player

29. Wil Dawson - Gippsland - 200cm 86kg - a player that really caught peoples attention clunking marks in the vic country trials and then playing a key role as FB for VC, getting help from Gawith to cover all options, he really dominated defence and with his forward potential gives clubs who are thinking of recruiting him options of where they can play him, followed up with good outings for Gippsland later in the season

30. Riley Hardeman - Swan Dist - 188cm 80kg - a player that was a star in Swan Dist WAFL Colts Premiership win in 2021, so has been on the radar for awhile, seems to have a desire to be a leader, turned himself from a winger into a running hbf who creates counter attack from defence

31. Ashton Moir - Glenlg - 188cm 84kg - had a strong 2022 which had a few in the media go nuts about him, i thought he was over rated as pick 2, in 2022 kicked 4 goals against WA i believe in the champs, had a good goal tally in 2022 sanfl u18s, but this year he came back to reality and it seems is destined to go in the 2nd round, the issues that stand out are his lack of speed and lack of winning his own ball in the forward zone, also his lack of speed on a lead, but when he does get it he generally uses the ball well when not going for impossible shots at goal

32. Will Lorenz - Oakleigh - 186cm 70kg - last year he burst on the scene with a few top tier games and everyone got excited by what he could do, unfortunately the Midfield was given to the 2024 youngsters at Oakleigh and he couldnt grab a midfield spot for VM either, but even so i thought he played quality football even though he wasnt in positions to accumulate, i still think he is a good option mid draft and could develop into a good player

33. Luca Slade - Sturt - 180cm70kg - played some good footy last year, but really showed some quality for an average SA unit this year, also had a strong sanfl u18s finals series for Sturt, a good winger option for a team mid draft or late

34. Clay Hall - Peel - 190cm 85kg - accumulating midfielder for Peel and WA, work rate is his best quality, his skills can be a bit sloppy, but he is always running past working hard in the contest, just blue collar footy

35. Joel Freijah - GWV - 191cm 86kg - a goal kicking winger, has a bit of Hugh McCluggage about him, which could see him go earlier, he can be a bit underwhelming at times, but his big games are impressive, so its hard to judge a talent that in some games he doesnt do much, but in others he is a match winner, he just doesnt have enough match winner games for me to have him higher

36. Phoenix Gothard - Murray - 178cm 70kg - speedy forward who like a few others really stepped up to be a part of the unbelievably strong Allies team, he was also a pretty good player at Murray, but his speed could be used in the forward line at the AFL level

37. Arie Schoenmaker - Tasmania - 194cm 89kg - a very penetrating kick, good endurance, 194cm flanker, theres a lot to like and he is a very unique player, a club may want to try him as a big midfielder? or have other ideas about how to best use his assets

38. Archie Roberts - Sandringham - 184cm 77kg - running half back, has played good footy over 2 years, played a little safe this year on the half back, was a part of an underwhelming VM team, being imo the 3rd best team at the champs and lacking punch and drive, has won 2 premiership for Sandringham which is a fair effort

39. Lance Collard - Subiaco - 185cm 70kg (WCE) - quick skillful small forward, good agility and movement, if he did better at the champs wouldve been considered higher in the rankings, but i think his wafl colts finals series put his name back in the group of draftable talent rather than the late/rookie uncertainty

40. Aiden O'Driscoll - Perth - 177cm 70kg - his speed at the combine and hot form at the champs and since then has him right on track to getting drafted, could be an exciting wing option for a team looking to develop his body up to the rigours of AFL footy

41. Tarkyn O'Leary - Sandringham - 178cm 70kg - a player that goes a little unheralded, he has some fantastic plays every now and then, playing hbf and midfield, he hasnt really locked down a position, but has played his role and has good athletic traits which should see him drafted

42. Lachlan Smith - Gipps - 202cm 97kg - big bodied ruck, he looks ready made and has a very AFL Ruck Body already, so should be able to plug and play for a team within a couple years if he makes it and after his dominant Gippsland Finals Series i think thats a good possibility

here is where the talent starts to drop off a little and its more speculation................................................................................

43. Will Patton - Wst Adel - 192cm 79kg - competitive 3rd tall defender, captain for SA, i really like him as a player, but im not sure if he gets drafted, i dont know if he plays KPD, i dont know if he can play quality medium defender footy, but i really like him as a footballer at the level and he deserves a mention as a good junior talent

44. Jack Callinan - Tasmania - 179cm 77kg - plays forward and can pop off every now and then, good leading small forward, good kick at goal, reads the play to try and get opportunities

45. Luamon Lual - GWV - 181cm 71kg (WB) - athletic hbf, running hbf, can tackle, uses the ball well, inconsistent form

46. George Stevens - GWV - 189cm 84kg - a player that is already physcially built, good goal sense, can impact a contest, unsure what he looks like at the next level, is he a Shannon Hurn or a Will Gould?

47. Caiden Cleary - Syd A - 180cm 77kg (SYD) - very vanilla type, in and under midfielder, earlier in the season was poor, but again stepped up at the champs and then started producing good footy to end the season, should find himself at the swans mid draft

48. Heath Ollington - Tasmania - 190cm 81kg (19yo) - classy medium forward, plays at a high standard for most of the year, came into the Allies team and really showed some dominant form as a hff, linking the midfield to the forwards as well as kicking a few goals, missed selection at the MSD, but the fact he got champs exposure and finals exposure means he might get an opportunity late.

49. Michael Rudd - Geelong - 192cm 91kg - another undersized kpf who was a good target for VC at the champs, which saw clubs take more of a notice of him and a possible to get drafted

50. Taylor Goad - Sth Adel - 205cm 90kg - tall ruck that was one of SAs few dominant players and has a good chance of being picked up in the draft imo

51. Will Green - Northern - 204cm 89kg - a ruck that a few in the media seem really excited by, i think he is similar to the other rucks i mentioned in this area of the draft, good long limbs and seems competitive in the ruck

52. Vigo Visentini - Sandringham - 203cm 97kg - similar to his brother Dante who debuted this year for Port Adelaide and didnt look too bad at the level, so i expect hes a good chance to get drafted also

53. Riley Weatherill - Eastern - 195cm 87kg - a player who if he gets it all together could be an exciting option, very much a smokey, but we'll see if a club is wanting to develop a young 195cm KPF late draft like Lewis and Larkie in 2017? maybe? good long kick at goal, good mark on a lead, could be a focal point for a team?

54. Angus Hastie - Geelong - 189cm 77kg - top tier agility, good run and carry, seemed to do it more for Geelong than he did for VC, but his run and carry is exciting to watch and he is a great height

55. Tew Jiath - Gippsland - 187cm 71kg (HAW) - hbf with good disposal and intercepting marks, plays loose, mostly uncontested it seems, i would rate higher if he won more contests, being talked up by the media so might be bid on within the top 40?

i will do the remaining talent that are i guess long shots from my pov, soon...

The Long Shots

56. Nathan Philactides - Oakleigh - 181cm 78kg - a player that had an amazingly strong underage year, his intercepting and ability to win the footy as well as his defensive work in the backline with run and carry was of the highest quality, performed strongly for VM, unfortunately in his draft year his intercepting seemed to drop off, the intensity dropped off and he focused more on his run and carry, still a good player, but he moved away from what could make him really good(played less contested, worrying about self preservation?)

57. Kynan Brown - Oakleigh - 181cm 72kg - played good footy this year especially for VM, he seems smaller than 181cm and has a small build, but he performed this year at the rep level and might be an option for Melb as a FS?

58. Oscar Hine-Bastion - Perth - 178cm 74kg - WCE NGA 19 yo, I think he showed enough at the champs as a lock Down defender on some decent opponents, that can win 1 on 1s and use the footy out of defense to get picked up by the eagles

59. Josh Docking - Sandringham - 178cm 69kg - StK NGA, likely to be picked up, skillful player with good run and carry

60. Jake Smith - Western Jets - 185cm 79kg - tough midfielder, that has good breakaway speed from the contest, a standout mid from the Jets, wins contests, good disposal, a real smokey

61. Evan Smith - Swan Dist - 199cm 84kg - tall forw/ruck, I liked what I saw from him at the champs playing mostly forward, contests well, good height, good athletic profile from what I could see in game

62. Amin Naim - Calder - 187cm 82kg - Ess NGA - I really liked what I saw from him early in the season, good mark on a lead, has a competitive streak, good kick at goal, good med forw prospect

63. Geordie Payne - Tasmania - 184cm 73kg - small defender, wins contests in defense, rebound counter attacking player, interceptor, plays quite well and seems to have interest from a few clubs

64. Caleb May - Syd A - 206cm - a ruck from Sydney that has been on my radar for the last couple of years, strong, good tap ruck, good around the ground, was the 2nd ruck for the dominant Allies team this year

65. Ry Cantwell - Eastern - 186cm 78kg - a player that stood out this finals series for Eastern, getting all the way to the GF, his combine results put him right up there with the best wingers in this draft for speed ect, he has bolted from nowhere to be a real draft chance

66. Oscar Ryan - Murray - 187cm 77kg - good shut down defender who can intercept and use the footy well, no frills, but an affective defender

67. Kane McAuliffe - North Adel - 187cm 86kg - a player that struggled to impact games or accumulate poss as a midfielder in rep footy, but he does have very good athletic traits and might get an opportunity based on his speed, endurance ect

68. Cam Nyko - Eastern - 179cm 76kg - a winger who has speed and is a good kick, got injured late in the year, played well for VM

69. Coen Livingstone - Perth - 200cm 96kg - a player who has not performed very well at rep level for the most part over the last 2 years, but has put in good performances at wafl colts level, good height and size and has decent movement around the ground, could be a late option for a team looking for a big man

70. Charlie Harrop - Sandringham - 186cm 79kg - a medium forward who is good on a lead and knows where the goals are, had a couple good games for VM, could be an option late

71. Calsher Dear - Sandringham - 194cm 88kg - Haw FS, he is a tall prospect, being talked about a little, hasn't had the best year, but is a good height and got experience playing in the strong Sandringham line up during finals

There are a few more I think could get drafted, but these are the main group of possibles

added my last list of rankings for the year, goes to 71 players, i'm sure a few state league players and some i may have missed will get drafted as well, i apologise if i miss any in the coming draft.

i might comment on the first round night and what i think, maybe theres a Deven Robertson or a Matthew Johnson who gets ignored and slides for some good value?

Last edited:
END OF 2022 SEASON PREDICTION

So another years draft is done and dusted, I thought I would give people an early indication of the talent for next year, I have worked on this list for most of the year, it is still early and I expect some players to either develop or come back from injury, but here's an early look at my top 50 for 2023, I will fill in more details in the coming weeks, but right now I will list the names to look out for next year.

1. Harley Reid - Bendigo - 185cm 82kg - really shun at the champs, has been excellent all year in a variety of positions
2. Daniel Curtin - Claremont - 195cm 91kg - best afield in the u17s pre GF game, terrific game after being injured for a large chunk of the yr
3. Jed Walter - GC A - 195cm 91kg - wonderful season showing off surprising athleticism and kicking 9 goals in 4 games for the Allies at the champs
4. Koltyn Tholstrup - Subiaco - 188cm 80kg - one of the best for WA in the champs, forward who can rotate in midfield
5. Zane Duursma - Gippsland - 188cm 73kg - a real danger in front of goals, can also rotate through midfield, he was a real weapon for Vic country that they missed in the finale
6. Archer Reid - Gippsland - 201cm 85kg - athletic and flexible KPF, had a huge trials game, was ok at the champs, but has heaps of potential
7. Nick Watson - Eastern - 169cm 66kg - tough, electric small forward, loves a goal and can kick them from anywhere
8. Jack Delean - Sth Adel - 181cm 73kg - was great last season and had a good champs this yr, but didnt dominate the sanfl u18
9. Nate Caddy - Northern - 190cm 83kg - high flying medium forward, took a tonne of huge pack marks this yr, excited to see him fly high again next yr
10. Ashton Moir - Glenlg - 186cm 78kg - had a good sanfl u18 season, had 1 good and 1 poor champs games
11. Nathan Philactides - Oakleigh - 180cm 80kg - fantastic defender from Oakleigh, match saving efforts in the trials got him some champs games where he performed well for VM
12. Will Lorenz - Oakleigh - 186cm - really stood out in a u17 game earlier in the season, smooth moving midfielder, Grandson of Hawk Legend Graham Arthur
13. Ben Ridgeway - Glenlg - 181cm 78kg - tough inside mid with some good run and spread, had an impressive game in midfield at the champs
14. Riley Hardeman - Swan Dist - 185cm 70kg - quality winger who was good in the wafl colts GF in 2021 and has since shown a lot of quality at the champs and u17 games
15. Colby McKercher - Tamania - 182cm 72kg - Allies winger who had some good moments in the champs this yr and for Tassie in the NAB League
16. Koen Sanchez - East Frem - 176cm 65kg - midfielder/forw who was dominating the wafl colts in 2021, injured this yr, but still had a good champs as a goal kicking forw
17. George Stevens - GWV - 190cm 90kg - good forward who was a standout in 2021, got injured and missed 2022, big season ahead
18. Will Brown - Sandringham - 192cm 80kg - was a stand out in the Sandringham Premiership team this yr, tall mid, could rise up the order
19. Archie Roberts - Sandringham - 183cm 71kg - good winger from Sandy, had some injuries this yr, but also had a good GF performance
20. Jack Callinan - Tasmania - 177cm - performed well in the u17s game prior to the AFL GF, impressive forw performance
21. Reece Torrent - Peel - 182cm 82kg - forw/mid, had a big finals series for Peel and was one of the best in the wafl colts GF
22. Jake Rogers - GC A - 172cm 67kg - energetic small midfielder, had great NAB League games and a good champs, in the mold of Darcy Jones who went pick 21 this yr
23. Kobe Shipp - Dandenong - 186cm 79kg - good season as a defender for Dand and had a great game for the u17s in the game before the AFL GF
24. Mitch Edwards - Freo NGA(Peel) - 205cm 85kg - really good ruck option, very athletic and a good mark, could go higher, had a good wafl colts GF
25. Luamon Lual - WB NGA(GWV) - 181cm 70kg - athletic defender played great off hbf in the trials game and in general uses it intelligently
26. Chad Reschke - Sturt - 187cm 88kg - medium forward who came on the radar kicking 68 goals as an underager in the sanfl u18s and kicked 3 goals in 2 reserves games this yr
27. Ryley Sanders - Sandringham/Tas - 185cm 80kg - he has the talent and speed to be higher, but has yet to put it all together performance-wise
28. Alex Holt - Sturt - 180cm 73kg - quick hbf who had some good moments playing for SA in the champs and trials
29. Sam Frangalas - Dandenong - 187cm 84kg - big bodied midfielder, can have some moments where he kicks goals outside 50 and goes for some good runs
30. Will McCabe - Haw FS(C Dist) - 196cm 75kg - slim, but brave KPF/KPD, won the SA MVP in the u16s as an overager, looks like a good athletic but raw KPP
31. Alex Molan - GWV - 177cm - when he gets the ball good things happen, i just like how he plays, he has an x-factor i like
32. Luca Slade - Sturt - 180cm 69kg - good SA winger prospect, had some good moments in the 1 champs game and the u17s games he played
33. Clay Hall - Peel - 189cm 80kg - i've seen a fair bit of him and he has played well in WA Gold v WA Black, u17s games, wafl colts GF, accumulator with skill and a burst of pace
34. Caiden Cleary - SYD A - 180cm 77kg - inconsistent midfielder, but he has some raw talent to work with
35. Logan Morris - Western - 192cm - was really competitive in the trials for the champs, got selected for the squad, kicked 29 goals in 14 games as an underager
36. Oliver Badr - Oakleigh - 177cm 71kg - played some ok games, trials and champs, i have him here to see if he has some improvement in him
37. Will Patton - West Adel - 191cm 74kg - KPD who played for SA in the champs
38. Cooper Simpson - Dandenong - 181cm 74kg - goal kicking midfielder
39. Cody James - Murray - 176cm 69kg - really impressed me with his speed off the hbf and skill in the trials game
40. Darcy Weeks - Western - 178cm 64kg - had a great u17's game alongside Lorenz and Billy Wilson in a u17s game midway through the year
41. Ethan Read - GC A - 200cm - athletic KPP or Ruck, could go higher as he does have some x-factor, which he showed in the champs
42. Riley Weatherill - Eastern - 195cm 87kg - another who impressed at the trials, but he missed out on the squad, also had a good NAB League season
43. Billy Wilson - Dandenong - 181cm 66kg - played hbf and wing for Dandenong and in u17s games, looks dynamic at times
44. Mahmoud Taha - Ess NGA(Cald) - 182cm - solid midfielder who again had a good trials game
45. Cam Nyko - Eastern - 178cm 72kg - outside player who popped up and had some good games in 2022
46. Kynan Brown - Melb FS(Oak) - 180cm 78kg - midfielder who had some good games in 2022
47. Xavier Walsh - East Perth - 193cm 84kg - played well in the u16s as an overager making the AA team i think? then followed it up with a good game in the WA Black v WA Gold u17s game, but i think he was injured or played mostly school footy?(PSA) but one to keep an eye on i think
48. Caleb Windsor - Eastern - 184cm 74kg - performed well earlier in the yr and i think he got injured?
49. James Lugsdin - SYD A - 176cm - solid midfielder for Sydney, a bit inconsistent, but showed something imo
50. Darcy Wilson - Murray - 184cm 66kg - highly touted forw/mid, high marking player, yet to see him dominate a game

Riak Andrew - Dandenong (Melb NGA) - 192cm 70kg - Mac Andrews brother, injured, athletic potential?
Michael Rudd - Geelong - 191cm 83kg - potential kpp option?
Will Green - Northern - 202cm 83kg - potential Ruck option?
Charlie Hillier - Bendigo - 180cm - good run on outside, potential Allies player?
Tom Wheaton - South Adel
Patrick Weckert - WWT
Kane MacAuliffe - Nth Adel - 187cm 90kg
Tyzreise Clark - Subi
Mitch Williams - E Perth
Coen Livingstone - Perth (WCE NGA) (related to Chance Bateman)
Billy Richardson - Allies (Bris)
Harvey Thomas - Allies (GWS) (Oakleigh)
Beau Nash - Allies (Tas)
Arie Schoenmaker - Allies (Tas)
Oliver Horlock - VM/East
Iliro Smit - VM/East (Haw NGA)
Luke Lloyd - VM/Sand
Rohan McKenzie - VM/North
Charlie Naish - VM/North
Jude Georgievski - VM/North
Diesel Moloney - VM/West
Sam Phillips - VM/Oak
Kade Mueller - VM/Cald
Harrison Kelly - VC/Bend
Malik Gordon - VC/Bend
Oliver Poole - VC/Bend
Ethan McKercher - VC/GWV
Joel Freijah - VC/GWV
Lachlan Charleson - VC/GWV
Josh Hamilton - VC/Gipps
Tobyn Murray - VC/Geel
Patrick Hughes - VC/Geel
Liam Kershaw - VC/Geel
Kade De La Rue - VC/Dand

Last edited:
1. Finn O'Sullivan - Oakleigh(VC) 181cm - mid
2. Sid Draper - South Adelaide - 178cm - mid
3. Tyler Welsh - WWT/Adel FS - 192cm - forw
4. Phoenix Hargrave - South Adelaide - 181cm - mid/forw
5. Levi Ashcroft - Sand/Bris FS - 179cm - mid/forw
6. Josh Smillie - Eastern - 194cm - mid/hbf
7. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh - 181cm - mid
8. Nash King - Calder - 181cm - mid
9. Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo - 187cm - def
10. Leonardo Lombard - GCS A - 178cm - mid
11. Joe Harrison - Syd A - 187cm - mid
12. Benny Barrett - South Adelaide - 174cm - forw/mid
13. Jesse Dattoli - Northern - 178cm - forw/mid
14. Tom Gross - Oakleigh - 180cm - mid
15. Lucas Camporeale - Glenlg/Carl FS - 182cm - mid/def
16. Tom Evans - Bendigo - 180cm - mid
17. Jayden Nguyen - Calder/Ess NGA - 177cm - wing
18. Kade Herbert - WWT - 183cm - mid
19. Kayle Gerryn - West Perth - 198cm - ruck/kpp (recent growth spurt from 190-198cm)
20. Xavier Ivisic - Geelong - 180cm - mid
21. Caleb Nancarrow - GCS A/Oak - 191cm - forw
22. Archer Day-Wicks - Bendigo - 185cm - mid/forw
23. Jobe Shanahan - Bendigo - 193cm - forw
24. Sam Marshall - Sand/Bris A - 185cm - mid
25. Sam Lalor - GWV - 187cm - mid
26. Mitchell Woods - Syd A - 179cm - mid
27. Patrick Retschko - Oak - 186cm - mid/def
28. Cooper Hynes - Dandenong - 188cm - def/mid
29. Otis Harvey - Swan Dist - 182cm - mid
30. Deian Roberts - Peel - 185cm - mid
31. Isaac Kako - Calder/Ess NGA - 175cm - forw
32. Xavier Lindsay - Gippsland - 182cm - mid
33. Zak Johnson - Northern - 185cm - mid
34. Bo Allan - Peel - 189cm - def
35. Lucca Grego - Western - 183cm - mid
36. Louie Montgomery - North Adel/Port FS - 190cm - def
37. Charlie Hewitt - Brisbane A - 198cm - kpf/ruck
38. Christian Moraes - Eastern/Haw NGA - 182cm - mid
39. Chayse Martinson - Swan Dist - 180cm - mid
40. Lucas McInerney - Northern - 180cm - mid/def
41. Murphy Reid - Sandringham - 181cm - mid/forw
42. Rhys Unwin - GWV - 177cm - forw/mid
43. Jacob Newton - Norwood - 175cm - mid
44. Ned Atkinson - Sturt - 180cm - mid
45. Luke Trainor - Sandringham - 193cm - def
46. Ben Camporeale - Glenlg/Carl FS - 182cm - def
47. Oliver Depaoli-Kubank - Tasmania - 177cm - mid
48. Hugh Boxshall - Claremont - 187cm - def
49. Wil Thomas - Sturt - forw/mid
50. Josaia Delana - GWS A - 174cm - forw/mid

unlucky...
VM
Luke Wilson - injured, but showed quality
Liam Farrar - interesting med forw
Massimo Raso
Charlie Richardson
Taj Hotton
Noah Scott
Tadgh McCarthy
Harry O'Farrell
Thomas Legudi
Sam Fanning
Ty Kitchell

VC
Oliver Warburton
Jonty Faull - rising in the ranks
Will McCarthy
Jack Ough - unlucky to not be in the top 50
Harvey Langford - needs to improve speed
Jack Whitlock
Max Stobie
Oliver Hannaford
Jasper Alger

SA
Harry Dodd
Tom Tasker - interesting prospect
Tom Luck
Charlie West - potential kpf?
Beau Ryan

WA
Koopa Walsh
Malachi Champion - good indigenous small forw
Lucas Ravenhill - ruck who could develop
Austin Van Der Struyf - very quick run and carry player
Thomas Cathcart
Trent Hiscock - kpd with potential
Anthony Hansen
Jaxon Douglas
Harrison Creighton
Cody Ryan

ALLIES
Zai Millane (GCS) - intercept defender, Coll FS? I'm not sure?
Oliver Withers (GWS) - decent talent
Josh Murphy nsw
Thomas Hitchens nsw
Jake Falzdeen Bris
Nelson Berkoff-Smart qld
Joe Kennedy qld
Ty Gallop qld
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early top 30 for 2025 draft based on u16s and CTL form
1. Dyson Sharp 188cm Central Dist
2. Oliver Greeves 190cm Eastern
3. Blake Kelly 180cm Swan Dist
4. Lachlan Dovaston 175cm Eastern
5. Blake Oudshoorn-Bennier 182cm Nth Adel
6. Louis Emmett 198cm Oakleigh
7. Marcus Cassidy 186cm Est Perth
8. Archie Ludowyke 193cm Sandringham
9. Jack Dalton 176cm Sandringham
10. Noah Roberts-Thompson 180cm Sturt
11. Tairon Ah-Mu 199cm Dandenong
12. Noah Hibbins-Hargreaves 185cm Dandenong
13. Harry Morphet 175cm Geelong ...(broke his leg at champs)
14. Basil Hart 183cm Peel
15. Riley Onley 194cm Murray
16. Xavier Bamert 184cm Sandringham
17. Jadd Hill 176cm Perth
18. Dylan Patterson 183cm GCS A
19. Judd Marcello 189cm Wst Perth
20. Giuseppe Posterino 175cm Geelong
21. Jamie Gilchrist 185cm Eastern
22. Zeke Uwland 176cm GCS A
23. Raphael Geesu 175cm Bris A
24. Toby Whan 180cm Sth Fremantle
25. Jobe Scapin 186cm Gippsland
26. Aidan Schubert 194cm Central Dist
27. Mitchell Moate 180cm Northern
28. Jim Kelly 178cm Norwood
29. Zach O'Keefe 176cm Gippsland
30. Jack Harrison 183cm Bris A

Mentions: Willem Duursma 189cm Gipps, Taj Longmuir 179cm Sth Frem, Thomas Burton 177cm Western, Thomas McGuane 176cm Western, Sam Allen 181cm Oakleigh, Tyson Gresham 170cm Northern, Hunter Wright 186cm Bendigo, Jesse Nye 172cm Sth Adel, Lachlan Sands 179cm WWT, Luke Candy 183cm Glenlg, Sam Cumming 186cm Nth Adel, Josh Reichelt 180cm Central Dist, Louis Kellaway 182cm Sturt, Harley Baker 186cm Sturt, Will York 172cm Peel, Darcy Montgomery 180cm Subiaco, Jai Murray(gcs), Beau Addinsall(gcs), Daniel Annabel(bris), didn't like anyone from syd, gws, tassie or NT, 2 QLD teams the only teams in div 2 playing good footy from my pov...

Sam Grij Oakleigh mid/wing would be in the list if he played in the champs.

Vic Metro won with WA coming runners up, with SA and Vic Country competitive
Brisbane dominated div 2 with GCS A coming runners up then the other 4 teams(GWS, Tas, Syd and NT)

I wanted to do an AA Team for the u16s

B: Jadd Hill (WA), Cooper Duff-Tytler (VM), Jim Kelly (SA)
HB: Zeke Uwland (GCS), Riley Onley (VC), Xavier Bamert (VM)
C: Lachlan Dovaston (VM), Blake Kelly (WA), Blake Oudshoorn-Bennier (SA)
HF: Jack Harrison (Bris), Louis Emmett (VM), Giuseppe Posterino (VC)
F: Basil Hart (WA), Archie Ludowyke (VM), Dylan Patterson (GCS)
R: Kayle Gerryn (WA), Dyson Sharp (SA), Oliver Greeves (VM)

INT: Tairon Ah-Mu (VC), Jack Dalton (VM), Noah Hibbins-Hargreaves (VC), Noah Roberts-Thompson (SA)
Marcus Cassidy (WA), Raphael Geesu (Bris), Charlie Hewitt (Bris), Jobe Scapin (VC), Toby Whan (WA).

VM - 7 (winners div 1)
WA - 6 (runners up div 1)
SA - 4
VC - 5
Bris - 3 (winners div 2)
GCS - 2 (runners up div 2)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2026 early names

Matthew Owen - Bris A
Doug Cochrane - SA

Last edited:

So another years draft is done and dusted, I thought I would give people an early indication of the talent for next year, I have worked on this list for most of the year, it is still early and I expect some players to either develop or come back from injury, but here's an early look at my top 50 for 2023, I will fill in more details in the coming weeks, but right now I will list the names to look out for next year.

1. Harley Reid
2. Daniel Curtin
3. Jed Walter
4. Koltyn Tholstrup
5. Zane Duursma
6. Archer Reid
7. Nick Watson
8. Jack Delean
9. Nate Caddy
10. Ashton Moir
11. Nathan Philactides
12. Will Lorenz
13. Ben Ridgeway
14. Riley Hardeman
15. Colby McKercher
16. Koen Sanchez
17. George Stevens
18. Will Brown
19. Archie Roberts
20. Jack Callinan
21. Reece Torrent
22. Jake Rogers
23. Kobe Shipp
24. Mitch Edwards
25. Luamon Lual
26. Chad Reschke
27. Ryley Sanders
28. Alex Holt
29. Sam Frangalas
30. Will McCabe
31. Alex Molan
32. Luca Slade
33. Clay Hall
34. Caiden Cleary
35. Logan Morris
36. Oliver Badr
37. Will Patton
38. Cooper Simpson
39. Cody James
40. Darcy Weeks
41. Ethan Read
42. Riley Weatherill
43. Billy Wilson
44. Mahmoud Taha
45. Cam Nyko
46. Kynan Brown
47. Xavier Walsh
48. Caleb Windsor
49. James Lugsdin
50. Darcy Wilson

Riak Andrew - Mac Andrews brother, injured, athletic potential?
Michael Rudd - potential kpp option?
Will Green - potential Ruck option?
Charlie Hillier - good run on outside, potential Allies player?
Can you highlight the academy and father son kids.

1. Harley Reid
2. Daniel Curtin
3. Jed Walter - GC A
4. Koltyn Tholstrup
5. Zane Duursma
6. Archer Reid
7. Nick Watson
8. Jack Delean
9. Nate Caddy
10. Ashton Moir
11. Nathan Philactides
12. Will Lorenz
13. Ben Ridgeway
14. Riley Hardeman
15. Colby McKercher
16. Koen Sanchez
17. George Stevens
18. Will Brown
19. Archie Roberts
20. Jack Callinan
21. Reece Torrent
22. Jake Rogers - GC A
23. Kobe Shipp
24. Mitch Edwards
25. Luamon Lual - WB NGA
26. Chad Reschke
27. Ryley Sanders
28. Alex Holt
29. Sam Frangalas
30. Will McCabe - Haw FS
31. Alex Molan
32. Luca Slade
33. Clay Hall
34. Caiden Cleary - SYD A
35. Logan Morris
36. Oliver Badr
37. Will Patton
38. Cooper Simpson
39. Cody James
40. Darcy Weeks
41. Ethan Read - GC A
42. Riley Weatherill
43. Billy Wilson
44. Mahmoud Taha
45. Cam Nyko
46. Kynan Brown
47. Xavier Walsh
48. Caleb Windsor
49. James Lugsdin - SYD A
50. Darcy Wilson

Riak Andrew - Mac Andrews brother, injured, athletic potential?
Michael Rudd - potential kpp option?
Will Green - potential Ruck option?
Charlie Hillier - good run on outside, potential Allies player?
Well done Davo-27 This is a fair effort to name 50. What i love about next years crop is there are so may variants in player positions and size. From what I've witnessed their attributes are off the charts. We've seen 59 national draft selections in 2022. In 2023 we could be back in the 70's for the number of selections. Delean and Watson will be an interesting battle to see who gets selected first. Both similar players with x factor.

How much daylight is between 1 and 2?
I think the gap isn't as far as it was early in the season. Curtain will be right up there, as will Walter. Curtain was outstanding GF day. Then there were other players that had memorable moments. However, it is hard to see anyone knocking off H. Reid at this stage, but the top 15 is very very strong so i think we will definitely see some of the top 10 become top 20 and some of the 11-20 become top 10. TBH I'm already looking fwd to the Aust Academy vs VFL game as it looks like it will be a beauty. Hopefully, they play a Richmond or Box Hill on the G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think the top 2 are great prospects, Harley Reid dominated a couple of games at the champs including the finale, but Curtin dominated the u17s game on AFL GF Day, so they are both up there.
I know it's really not what we need given our past few drafts, but if Dan Curtin is the consolation prize we get next year I'll be elated. I don't know where we play him but you cannot pass up that talent.

Elite: Finn O'Sullivan (Sid Draper, only played 1 game before injured, but looked elite from the small sample)
Top Tier 1: Josh Smillie, Jagga Smith, Levi Ashcroft, Sam Lalor, Xavier Ivisic, Deian Roberts, Chayse Martinson, Lucas Camporeale, Phoenix Hargrave, Benny Barrett, Tyler Welsh
Top Tier 2: Lucas McInerney, Luke Wilson, Ty Kitchell, Zak Johnson, Isaac Kako, Xavier Lindsay, Tobie Travaglia, Otis Harvey, Hugh Boxshall, Malakai Champion, Harry Jones, Jacob Newton, Ned Atkinson, Louie Montgomery, Oliver Warburton, Damon Hollow, Jayden Nguyen

Jesse Dattoli - North, Josh Galstians - East

Slight edit needs to be made on this.

This post of yours refers to 2024 names.

I know it's really not what we need given our past few drafts, but if Dan Curtin is the consolation prize we get next year I'll be elated. I don't know where we play him but you cannot pass up that talent.
Curtin is very versatile. While he's largely considered a key back, he is very athletic and could play multiple positions.

Curtin is very versatile. While he's largely considered a key back, he is very athletic and could play multiple positions.
I haven't watched him outside of the futures game and his game against Peel this year, does he have any chops as a forward? He's incredibly developed for a young KPD, would love to see how he fairs in what seems like a very promising WA side next year.

I haven't watched him outside of the futures game and his game against Peel this year, does he have any chops as a forward? He's incredibly developed for a young KPD, would love to see how he fairs in what seems like a very promising WA side next year.
From what I've seen he could play fwd. He's incredibly athletic, you see this as he gets high up the ground as a defender. He kicked a couple of goals when he returned from injury which is a good sign.

Very early top 20-odd for 2024 mostly from the u16s, I'm probably missing a few, so it's just an early guide for those interested

2024 early guide

1. Finn O'Sullivan - Oak and VC
2. Sid Draper - SA
3. Josh Smillie - Eastern and VM
4. Phoenix Hargrave - SA
5. Tyler Welsh - SA Adel F/S KPF
6. Xavier Ivisic - VC
7. Lucas Camporeale - SA Carl F/S
8. Benny Barrett - SA
9. Deian Roberts - Peel and WA
10. Levi Ashcroft - VM and Sand Bris F/S
11. Jagga Smith - VM
12. Sam Lalor - VC and GWV
13. Chayse Martinson - WA
14. Lucas McInerney - VM
15. Zak Johnson - VM
16. Otis Harvey - WA
17. Ty Kitchell - VM
18. Luke Wilson - VM
19. Jacob Newton - SA
20. Ned Atkinson - SA
21. Xavier Lindsay - VC
22. Oliver Warburton - VC

It might be the 1st time SA has 5 players in the top 10 for the draft? If I'm right?

Last edited:
Very early top 20-odd for 2024 mostly from the u16s, I'm probably missing a few, so it's just an early guide for those interested

2024 early guide

2. Sid Draper - SA
4. Phoenix Hargrave - SA
6. Xavier Ivisic - VC
8. Benny Barrett - SA
9. Dean Roberts - Peel and WA
11. Jaggy Smith - VM
13. Chase Martinson - WA
14. Lucas McInerney - VM
15. Zak Johnson - VM
16. Otis Harvey - WA
17. Ty Kitchell - VM
18. Luke Wilson - VM
19. Jacob Newton - SA
20. Ned Atkinson - SA
21. Xavier Lindsay - VC

It might be the 1st time SA has 5 players in the top 10 for the draft? If I'm right?
Year of the Xaviers it seems. I can already see the XI11 and XL40 jerseys locked in.

2024 early guide

2. Sid Draper - SA
4. Phoenix Hargrave - SA
6. Xavier Ivisic - VC
8. Benny Barrett - SA
9. Dean Roberts - Peel and WA
11. Jaggy Smith - VM
13. Chase Martinson - WA
14. Lucas McInerney - VM
15. Zak Johnson - VM
16. Otis Harvey - WA
17. Ty Kitchell - VM
18. Luke Wilson - VM
19. Jacob Newton - SA
20. Ned Atkinson - SA
21. Xavier Lindsay - VC

No Caleb Nancarrow?

McKercher, Callinan, Sanders, Schoenmaker, Nash are all North NGA.

They are listed here - Next Generation Academy – Northern Tasmania | AFL Tasmania

Callinan is confirmed in here - https://www.themercury.com.au/sport...t/news-story/3740ca2492fbbc7d52edd0c17d0540ad

Again all listed here 5 years ago - Next Generation Academy squads Tasmania

All played in this NGA North vs South u/14's game in 2019 - U14 NGA North Boys team named for Game 2 | AFL Tasmania

Beau Nash also played - Final NGA Squads announced – U13 + U14 North West Boys | AFL Tasmania

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back