Player Watch Dayne Beams (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look i think the course you are recommending could possibly be a very good one, as with many other prescriptions given on this board, but without even knowing a diagnosis outside of "mental health issues" let alone the case study, its all really silly.

Moore and Elliott often have physical health issues. A mate of mine had a physical health issue removed through circumcision, thus we should circumcise Elliott and Moore.
Well said, we've just touched the tip of the issue.

Jake is his nickname (insert wink emoji). Completely disagree with your contention that a manager would advise a client to do anything other than what he thought was in the client’s best interest.
Not suggesting that Connors does. But is it good form for Beams to milk another 3 seasons, take up a list spot at full pay?
I think you're taking a short-sighted approach if you think that taking that option is in Beams best interest.
That would see the club potentially meet the obligation, but cast him aside without support, no potential sponsorship/job at the club and get ignored at 2010 Premiership celebrations by his former teammates. Is that best for a guy who has a vulnerable mental state? I don't think so.

Nah. They're sometimes an accurate reflection of how a person wants to present themselves to the world. But its manufactured and not reality.
Not a big issue, but I do think you’re missing that not everyone has the control and discipline required to execute as you describe. I know someone — my son’s ex wife — who has poured every ounce of grievance and character assassination one soul could muster on to Facebook over the past few years. It has laid her character bare in the ugliest way. She might be unusual, but I’m pretty sure she’s not unique.

So you're not in favour of circumcision, how about penicillin fir Moore and Elliott - it sorts out a larger range of physical health issues.

I think you know it was intentionally silly. i believe recommending a treatment for a mental health issue without knowing more than 'mental health issue' is as silly as recommending a treatment for a physical health issue without knowing any more than 'physical health issue.'
From Beams mid-year 2019, self-imposed break for mental health

“Think if this were your husband, wife, child, friend experiencing the lows that come with depression, ask yourself what would you do for them.

Lastly to my family thank you for inspiring me to beat this illness and always having my back. I love you all. Please start having the conversations and helping each other.”

He's also talked about suicidal thoughts post his father's passing.

Let's start with that as a pretty good assumption as to what mental health-related issue we should all be discussing in this thread.
Let's rule out schizophrenia, eating disorders etc and concentrate on mood disorders as a safe assumption. Circumcision can be ruled out as a treatment too.

From Beams mid-year 2019, self-imposed break for mental health

“Think if this were your husband, wife, child, friend experiencing the lows that come with depression, ask yourself what would you do for them.

Lastly to my family thank you for inspiring me to beat this illness and always having my back. I love you all. Please start having the conversations and helping each other.”

He's also talked about suicidal thoughts post his father's passing.

Let's start with that as a pretty good assumption as to what mental health-related issue we should all be discussing in this thread.
Let's rule out schizophrenia, eating disorders etc and concentrate on mood disorders as a safe assumption. Circumcision can be ruled out as a treatment too.

I don't think we can rule out circumcision as an option. If he's grown up around change rooms full of hoodies, his skivvy could be an issue.

He’s a black and white hero.
He’s a black and white hero who, if anyone had an ounce of sense, should be on Brisbane’s playing list. Alas, we are a witless lot, and got swept up in the romance of a returning favourite and a feelgood story of redemption.

He’s a black and white hero who, if anyone had an ounce of sense, should be on Brisbane’s playing list. Alas, we are a witless lot, and got swept up in the romance of a returning favourite and a feelgood story of redemption.
He’s a premiership player. I’m proud of our club for sticking by him.

I’m glad we’re sticking by him now he’s here. Thing is, he shouldn’t have been here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s a black and white hero.
I remember the sooky brat who had a swipe at the coach on his way out. Yes he went for personal reasons, but have some respect.

No single individual or their problems are bigger than the club and it’s aspirations. He came to us broken, we paid through the nose to get him...he was supposed to be the difference the player to take us to the next level...had we not done that who knows who we may have been able to lure to the club...Lynch perhaps?

He has just reconfirmed what I thought about him, Thomas and all those that turned their backs when Buckley came in....he’s a self serving piece of s**t.

I’m not, this is a huge balls up and I’m almost certain that Bucks had no say in this at all. The only good thing to come out of this is that we are now used to playing without him and even when he was playing he added nothing to our midfield.
The bad thing is he’s clogging up our list and taking a pay check for literally doing * all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems it’s either love or hate here, I’m more toward the middle.

thought the move bringing Beams back was a good one, especially falling short the previous year. Wasn’t a big fan of how he left, some disrespect there. The deal right now looks very ordinary but if he gets himself right there is some definite upside.

i don’t know what he’s going through, don’t pretend to.

In your opinion. Virtually all supporters ive spoken to feel exactly like me.

You strike me as a leftie. You think everyone agrees with you and talk on everyone’s behalf and then your jaw hits the ground when you lose each election (brexit, trump, Morrison and now Boris).
You do know brexit wasn’t an election right?

Please retire dayne nothing but a distraction now..

Yes. It is utterly unhelpful for the playing list. Either he considers he is able to return or he does not. If he does not the playing group should know. This halfway house nonsense is frustrating for us supporters let alone the players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's sad how this issue is cracking open the general camaraderie and mutual tolerance of Collingwood BF supporters and am concerned at its effect on morale at the club. If the player in question was Pendlebury, Adams, Phillips, Howe or just about anyone else on the list, there would be general concern and an absence of doubt for the player's plight. Beams does not enjoy the kind of support which would automatically be extended to other players on the list. In his case, being black and white or one of our own is not in itself enough to guarantee a blindly loyal reaction.

A poster once describe Beams as a complicated person, another who's opinion i respect suggested he was of very dubious character and this may be true. But i don't have contacts and i'm unaware ( as is most of us ) of his mental health diagnosis so I want to talk in more general terms

Language matters. We cannot go back when men had to second guess themselves on how people might perceive them. Why didn't they call before shooting themselves through the chest and die in agony as they bleed out. A note to his mother later explaining that he didn't want to mess up his head because of the damage it would cause. Or why didn't they call before hanging themselves from a tree, twitching and gasping their last breath as you walk around into their backyard.

We need to treat each and every case with caution and care. Online commentary that i have seen in this thread without all the expertise of a clinical diagnosis is extremely worrisome. Language matters and i applaud the club in its restraint and public comments. We cannot go back, break the stigma and help save a life

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back