Player Watch Dayne Beams (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this is the crux of it. His dad wanted to see the boys play together and Dayne wanted to fulfil his dad’s wish (info from a poster on Nicks who was close to Daynes Dad). I can’t fault Dayne for wanting to make his dad happy under the circumstances, but I do take exception to posters making some sort of claim that GC wasn’t an option because of where he was being treated. That’s a load of BS.
Sorry I thought he was living and being treated in Brisbane so apologies. Mixed that up.

Ben Reid has never had any question marks as too his character his body may be fragile but the manner in which he has conducted himself whilst representing Collingwood has been beyond reproach.

Reid is up there with Pendles as far as professionalism goes it is just unfortunate that he has had that body because he would be 250+by now and with no baggage at all,he should not be mentioned in the same breath as Beams as far as personal conduct goes.
I wasnt questioning his character merely saying an injury that took longer than expected to heal does not equate to drug use as was referred to about Beams

I heard that too. By taking it to 4 years, he is on modest money for each.
It was pretty smart if not for his health, you couldn't get quality for that money and we couldn't spend big without compromising re-signing Grundy, De Goey and Moore and we had to burn our first pick or blow it on Quaynor

I have zero problems with the deal, it was smart, but not every smart deal works out and some s**t deals do, there will always be an element of luck, just didn't go our way this time

It was pretty smart if not for his health, you couldn't get quality for that money and we couldn't spend big without compromising re-signing Grundy, De Goey and Moore and we had to burn our first pick or blow it on Quaynor

I have zero problems with the deal, it was smart, but not every smart deal works out and some s**t deals do, there will always be an element of luck, just didn't go our way this time
*Potentially

Might want to take a step back on that one mate. There’s enough evidence against him on this one to conclude that something fishy went on there.
Don’t you find it weird that he had this terrible recurring injury for a single year and has never had a quad complaint in the years since?
Don’t necessarily disagree, but describing that thread and it’s contents as ‘evidence’ is a bit of a stretch ;)

I wasnt questioning his character merely saying an injury that took longer than expected to heal does not equate to drug use as was referred to about Beams
There was a bit more than that at the time. The AFL admitted that players were serving drug bans under the guise of injuries and Collingwood was named as one of two clubs with drug issues. Might have all been coincidental but it was certainly suspect at the time.

There was a bit more than that at the time. The AFL admitted that players were serving drug bans under the guise of injuries and Collingwood was named as one of two clubs with drug issues. Might have all been coincidental but it was certainly suspect at the time.
Youre naive to think players at ALL clubs wouldnt have drug issues. The Herald Sun w***ers made it out to be a strictly Collingwood problem at the time.

Don’t necessarily disagree, but describing that thread and it’s contents as ‘evidence’ is a bit of a stretch ;)
Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but there’s no denying that the dates in the OP were bang on. There’s also a lot more in there if you can be bothered sifting through it all, as well as the admittance by the AFL that players were serving bans under the guise of injuries at the time (with Collingwood names as a club with issues) that Jasper84 linked a few posts up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Youre naive to think players at ALL clubs wouldnt have drug issues. The Herald Sun w***ers made it out to be a strictly Collingwood problem at the time.
I'm sure all clubs do have their share of drug issues. The same way that all clubs have been shown to lie to media and supporters about player's injuries. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist all the time but a healthy level of scepticism is definitely justified.
Case in point:Howe's hand injury. What are the odds of hurting your hand playing with your dog the same day as you are seen hurting your hand playing in a local cricket match?

And a quick check of timelines suggests that we didn’t just decide to take Beams on the day of trade...what’s the point?
Doesn't matter anyway, we were never getting Lynch unless he accepted a lot lot less, Beams was the only quality we could afford with the minimal money we had to offer and still be a chance of re-signing Grundy, Moore, De Goey and Pendles

Blow first pick on Quaynor
Blow first pick on whoever you could attract for around 400K
Blow first pick on an elite premiership son coming off a great season

Last edited:
The snark between posters, the vitriol directed against Beams, the comments on his character and motives by posters who don’t know him etc etc

Best example would be the ongoing criticism of Beams initial move to Brisbane. There was all sorts of speculation at the time this happened that Beams had other motives, that the talk about his fathers illness was a ruse, that he had the all clear from a health
point of view.

Fast forward a few years and his father passes with recurrent cancer. Beams get to spend time with family and a sick father. From that day on there can be no reasonable posting criticising that move.

Still we see in this thread people potting Beams even in retrospect re this. Any post of decency would drop that speculation immediately no matter how they felt about Beams overall.

“Best example would be the ongoing criticism of Beams initial move to Brisbane. There was all sorts of speculation at the time this happened that Beams had other motives”?

Really? Where did Beams father live then, in Brisvegas?
No on the Gold Coast, we have every right to question his motives given the circumstances
Like saying to club help me out I need to be near my sick father in Geelong, I want a trade to Richmond.

Doesn't matter anyway, we were never getting Lynch unless he accepted a lot lot less, Beams was the only quality we could afford with the minimal money we had to offer and still be a chance of re-signing Grundy, Moore, De Goey and Pendles

Blow first pick on Quaynor
Blow first pick on whoever you could attract for around 400K
Blow first pick on an elite premiership son coming off a great season

Now add the rest of the possible trade options that may have been available. Pick swaps etc.

Thank god people thousands of kilometres away who have absolutely no personal relationship with Beama can explain his choice of residence and all the circumstances surrounding it and his family at the time

Now add the rest of the possible trade options that may have been available. Pick swaps etc.
They did, and you simply weren't getting that quality any other way, in that regard I'm happy to treat it as a cheap play for an elite player

And the club have been the beacon of honesty over the years, haven’t they?

I would go as far to say we are the most dishonest and paranoid when it comes to divulging the truth.

I personally think it’s not fair to members that we don’t even get a proper injury update any more.
I think the club has to be commended for trying to protect each of their players regardless of whether he is the best or worst in the list.
There are some instances whereby we don’t need to know all the detail, particularly if it causes harm.

I heard that too. By taking it to 4 years, he is on modest money for each.
Which is all he was being paid at Brisbane because he got the majority of it in the first couple of years. Brisbane initially lost out big time with what it cost them with him not honouring his contract.

All he did was continue to get the $400k/$450kpa he was going to be paid for his last 2 years at the Lions anyway, but was able to get a bonus 2 years on the same money.

I love how the post that were not accepted by the sheep were deleted, ******* done with this board.

Don't be like that, BEEG. I reckon that Beama would lend you his copy of The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F***, if you asked nicely. Sounds like you're in need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back