PS4 Days Gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
There's nothing special about this game and it does follow the same formula as other games in this genre but it puts it's on spin on it and is just really fun to play. No idea how some places reviewed it as low as they did.

I thought IGN's 6.5 was really harsh. They reviewed it with the same criticism as every other review but thought they had to outdo them by rating it lower. The reviews are pretty spot on in their summary. It's a good average game, 7.5/8 I think is fair. For those who don't like paying full price for new release games I don't think there is enough to change their mind, but if anyone can pick it up for $60 then I don't think they would be disappointed.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought IGN's 6.5 was really harsh. They reviewed it with the same criticism as every other review but thought they had to outdo them by rating it lower. The reviews are pretty spot on in their summary. It's a good average game, 7.5/8 I think is fair. For those who don't like paying full price for new release games I don't think there is enough to change their mind, but if anyone can pick it up for $60 then I don't think they would be disappointed.

Lucy O'Brien (aussie) reviewed it.

Her reviews for ign are the worst imo she never seems to be happy when she reviews games.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Compared to TLOU, how does it stack up?

Shouldn't stack up at all, completely different games except for freakers/fungyheads. It's trying to be TLOU though with it's presentation and attempt at serious story telling. However IMO it shapes up more like an open world Ubisoft game. Open world, each region with a checklist to complete (hordes, landmarks, Nero research etc etc), gather supplies, missions, light RPG elements etc.

Game isn't bad. I played for about 3 or 4 hours straight today and hit a brick wall. Nothing to do with the game but I'm so burned out on these sorts of games right now and struggling to find the motivation.

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I have only played the first few hours but I'm actually quite impressed. It probably is trying to be too much like TLOU but with an open world which is disappointing. Much prefer stronger streamlined experiences. As others above i'm also very burnt out on open world games.
I will probably skip most of the checklist items and just do the actual missions/storylines.
Having said that though, I like the setting & tone. The game is tense af. The freakers are creepy and will wreck you in groups, the herds can f right off too lol. It looks really good & the game plays well. I'm definitely enjoying it so far.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I have only played the first few hours but I'm actually quite impressed. It probably is trying to be too much like TLOU but with an open world which is disappointing. Much prefer stronger streamlined experiences. As others above i'm also very burnt out on open world games.
I will probably skip most of the checklist items and just do the actual missions/storylines.
Having said that though, I like the setting & tone. The game is tense af. The freakers are creepy and will wreck you in groups, the herds can f right off too lol. It looks really good & the game plays well. I'm definitely enjoying it so far.

I s**t myself when I took on my first horde yesterday. I didn't think I was anywhere near equipped but they had to cleared to access an early Nero checkpoint for a side mission and luckily it was only a small one. I died once, but the second time planned it out a bit better and managed.

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I s**t myself when I took on my first horde yesterday. I didn't think I was anywhere near equipped but they had to cleared to access an early Nero checkpoint for a side mission and luckily it was only a small one. I died once, but the second time planned it out a bit better and managed.
i rode through a Nero outpost & stopped to look around. walked around the corner & theres like 200 coming at me i just ran back to the bike and got the hell out of dodge.
i look forward to eventually having the guts to give it a crack

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
I have played a bit so far. i have to wonder how much patch 1.4 fixed problems. because all the problems that reviewers had with 1.03 i have yet to come across.

Im not a fan on the shooting. i just cant get it right. im thinking of switching on auto aim/lock on to see if that helps.

I have had some tense moments. one time i ran out of fuel and had to find a jerry can. found a Nero checkpoint but there was a horde there. had to sneak around and find some.

I think it takes too long before some story really happens. and i wonder when some of the "flashbacks" were cut from playable to cutscenes since they still use the 3rd person camera from game play.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Only a few hours in but pretty much agree with the consensus here - pleasant enough time waster and definitely better than a 6.5.

I will say though, playing this straight off the back of Red Dead 2 does it no favours. Little quality of life things like transitions into cutscenes not being there feels especially rough. But won't be the only open world game RD2 will make look silly I'm sure.

Feb 22, 2011
Berwick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City
Only a few hours in but pretty much agree with the consensus here - pleasant enough time waster and definitely better than a 6.5.

I will say though, playing this straight off the back of Red Dead 2 does it no favours. Little quality of life things like transitions into cutscenes not being there feels especially rough. But won't be the only open world game RD2 will make look silly I'm sure.

100% agree with this.

I'm really enjoying it. 7.5 out of 10 probably.

The biggest issue I have is that I'm comparing everything to RDR. Shooting, Voice Acting, Story, Looting, Crafting... all done better in RDR. Which isn't a bad thing, I'd give RDR a 9.5 or 10 out of 10.

I'm enjoying it so far. Seems like the quality of an earlier release PS4 game, but still going well. Traded 2 broken PS4 controllers at EB for $92 on the weekend and got this price matched for $69 so can't complain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm enjoying it so far. Seems like the quality of an earlier release PS4 game, but still going well. Traded 2 broken PS4 controllers at EB for $92 on the weekend and got this price matched for $69 so can't complain

* that's pretty good, I have about ten of them.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
i rode through a Nero outpost & stopped to look around. walked around the corner & theres like 200 coming at me i just ran back to the bike and got the hell out of dodge.
i look forward to eventually having the guts to give it a crack

Which one was it do you remember? There is a Nero checkpoint just to the north of your home camp/tower, I think the checkpoint is marked with a mission called World End or something like that. The horde start in some railway carriages overlooking the checkpoint. When I first I decided to do it I didn't really know how to go about it so I lured them out, threw molotovs, shot some and just ran around aimlessly until I got stuck on some geometry and got swarmed. The second time I planned it out. There are piles of body bags across the road from the check point with two red barrels and a petroleum truck (there is a petrol can too on a tractor but save that for powering the checkpoint generator). I'm not sure how I got them but I had a couple pipe bombs so I threw one into the carriage to agro the horde which took a bunch out, then I threw another when they started landing on the ground. After that I sprinted back past the red barrels, shooting them as the horde went past each, then mowed a few down with my AR. The problem is they don't bunch up nicely so I tried running a few circles to let the stragglers catch up and then ran around the truck and shot that which took a heap out. There was only four left then which I took down with my spiked bat.

I'm sure the bigger hordes in later parts of the game will take far more planning than that.

**** that's pretty good, I have about ten of them.

Both controllers went through the washing machine and wouldn't even turn on, but EB didn't even check them, scan them or even just simply try turning them on. Thought I was going to get laughed out the shop but ended up winning. Was pretty happy, and managed to get this which i've been waiting a long time for. Not perfect but worth the wait for a keen zombie lover

BTW, how are those little zombies that look like 6-7 year old kids in the first mission at the garage? Anybody else feel guilty about whacking them with a baseball bat o_O

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Which one was it do you remember? There is a Nero checkpoint just to the north of your home camp/tower, I think the checkpoint is marked with a mission called World End or something like that. The horde start in some railway carriages overlooking the checkpoint. When I first I decided to do it I didn't really know how to go about it so I lured them out, threw molotovs, shot some and just ran around aimlessly until I got stuck on some geometry and got swarmed. The second time I planned it out. There are piles of body bags across the road from the check point with two red barrels and a petroleum truck (there is a petrol can too on a tractor but save that for powering the checkpoint generator). I'm not sure how I got them but I had a couple pipe bombs so I threw one into the carriage to agro the horde which took a bunch out, then I threw another when they started landing on the ground. After that I sprinted back past the red barrels, shooting them as the horde went past each, then mowed a few down with my AR. The problem is they don't bunch up nicely so I tried running a few circles to let the stragglers catch up and then ran around the truck and shot that which took a heap out. There was only four left then which I took down with my spiked bat.

I'm sure the bigger hordes in later parts of the game will take far more planning than that.

i reckon it must have been that one. i wasn't there to do the quest - just passing through doing some exploring. do you end up getting ammo capacity upgrades at all? i have a rifle with max ammo of 20, cant do much with that

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
i reckon it must have been that one. i wasn't there to do the quest - just passing through doing some exploring. do you end up getting ammo capacity upgrades at all? i have a rifle with max ammo of 20, cant do much with that

I've only been getting survival I think it is upgrades to buff melee. Figured I would be bashing stuff in the head more than shooting it and there looks like a really handy stealth skill at the end of it. Agree that's not a lot of ammo. There is a bike upgrade to store ammo to resupply though. Currently my AR is only for "oh s**t" moments as I sneak around using silenced pistol, cross bow and bootknife.

Dec 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
I think you can buy ammo upgrades from the gun merchants once you hit lvl 2 or 3 with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back