Opinion Dead rivalry

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no doubt the Showdown rivalry was in its glory days from 97 through to about 08. Then crowds started to decline, interest started to decline and it seemed every match was a wipe out one way or another. 'Kids a Freak' and the first two years at Adelaide Oval really revitalised the contest. If anything was to bring it back to its peak then the two games last year will have done that.

The only reason it feels like a dead rivalry right now is because Port supporters as a whole are at an all time low in confidence and are viewing things as ultra negative.

The fact a game was decided by a goal that wasn't a goal absolutely broke my showdown fuse.

The fact a game was decided by a goal that wasn't a goal absolutely broke my showdown fuse.
That is more a blight on the AFL than anything because they run the comp like an amateur league.

not trying to **** stir but has Port's recent record in Showdowns been the catalyst for you guys feeling that it's 'not quite the same' ?

let's read through the previous six pages and find out together!

It was that decision that brought in the AFL version of “snicko”.

not trying to **** stir but has Port's recent record in Showdowns been the catalyst for you guys feeling that it's 'not quite the same' ?

Recent record in everything.

We've got a coach who isn't up to it with 2.5 years left on his contract. There's nothing to get excited about at any level and we'll always default to generally negative unless the good wins start to stack up.

Why in the * should footballers hate each other just because they play for different clubs.

On the field, perhaps. Outside of that they have a shitload more in common than most people do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no dead rivalry, I hate crow's and their fans more than ever. There is alot more hate between the two supporter groups than I have ever seen before. Crows fans actually think they are better than us, l gtf over yourselves

On LYA-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why in the **** should footballers hate each other just because they play for different clubs.

On the field, perhaps. Outside of that they have a shitload more in common than most people do.

Not hate, but maybe despise the representatives of an organisation that has placed actively trying to undermine the progress and reputation of the PAFC ahead of their own progress and success wouldn't be out of the question, and come game day this is one they could turn it up to 11 for.

We can't be all we can be and still be adelaide's bitch. It's a two team town and we need to stamp some ascendency on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 670673

This line from Lycett is genuinely funny.

That players are close enough to be having "banter" on each others social media speaks volumes.

Hard to see Carr/Ricciuto having this kind of relationship
But that's within a rivalry spirit. Lycett scored a "golaço" (ripper goal)! Friends can be rivals.

Some of my best mates are Crows supporters. I still ******* hate the Crows.

My mum and sister are. It's not like I'm going to hate them for it.
Pity, on the other hand...

My father became a staunch South Australian. Followed both teams. I always wondered how on earth that was possible. Now there are diehards in this very thread that say they actually have cordial relationships with the other lot's fans. Blimey. I have led a sheltered life.

I'll talk to casual Crows supporters about football. You know, the ones that just observe from a distance and don't get too involved.

Actual members though I just avoid the subject. They're part of the cult.

It's genuinely funny that sections of both sets of supporters are adamant that the othet club's supporters are fkd and awful supporters

The collective footy knowledge of every club's supporters would be more or less the same

A new player on my footy team this year is a Port supporter - should be fun Saturday night after our game

I've friends who are Adelaide fans. I avoid talking football with them.

radiojake as far as footy knowledge of every clubs fans, Port supporters are generally people who've followed football from a young age. Maybe in 30 more years that'll be Adelaide's supporters, but right now there's still thousands attending games (plus many more who don't) who barely followed football prior to 1990. Theatre goers the derisive term given to them. This lack of knowledge gets passed down from generation to generation to boot. Unsurprisingly only West Coast fans rival Adelaide's, for people from football states, for lacking a grasp of the game beyond calls of 'Ball!' every time an opposition player is within 5 metres of it.

I’ll have you know the Gold Coast supporter knows every player on their list.
It is the other way around. The players on Gold Coast's list know everyone of their supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back