Opinion Dees V Dogs - Sunday MCG 1.00 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a good question. Even if his selection is no great surprise.

If Macrae is being kept out because he has had limited match time in the pre-season doesn't that also apply to Dale and JOD?

Not going to say any more than that as the Macrae debate has been done to death already.
We can each draw our own conclusions.
it’s pointless guessing really. If Macrae is firing fit and misses out then that’s the time to raise eyebrows. Round 1, coming off a long injury, you just have to let this one slide without an inquest I think.

Also, I want it on record that I love Macrae more than a 38 year old should love a sportsman he’s never met. I’d be thrilled if he gets back to something like his best.

I don’t like the glee on show regarding Schache’s failings/misfortune. It didn't work out with us but I don’t think there’s any need for malice either way.

Haha come on it's a bit of banter and fun, it's fine... Nobody is celebrating him doing a serious injury or something, gotta be able to pull the piss out of ex players.

Any world where Vandermeer is picked ahead of Caleb Daniel isn't one that I want to be in... :'(

Pretty happy with the team named, would like to see JOD in still. Him and Buku are athletic enough and provide some good intercept to go along with it where we don't lose too much on the run and carry side. Plus if we lose Jones or Buku on the night, we start to look very very small down back.

Hoping the bench is Daniel, JJ, JOD and Williams. McNeil or Laith can start as sub for mine.
Yeah I think agree, too risky being that small, you’re ****ed if we lose a defender. JOD doesn’t make us top heavy with that backline too

This is a good question. Even if his selection is no great surprise.

If Macrae is being kept out because he has had limited match time in the pre-season doesn't that also apply to Dale and JOD?

Not going to say any more than that as the Macrae debate has been done to death already.
We can each draw our own conclusions.
Dales had a full preseason and just a niggle in the last two weeks that was managed, was always playing in hindsight

Plus I think it's fair that with Bont and Libba having the seasons that they did, Macrae wasn't able to work off the success of those two and maybe the balance or diversity of skillset among those players. Just like you pair a good three point shooter with an inside bull in the NBA, is Bont is bursting and Libba is winning ground balls, you need a player who can position themselves defensively and feed off them at the centre bounce. Macrae would sometimes ball hunt and then his lack of athleticism would leave him exposed, so I'm interested to see how Harmes and Sanders, who after Treloar are presumably centre bounce 4th and 5th work off our top 3. It may not work but it certainly is the change that many people wanted.

Your first day posting on here and you're already champing well established posters.

Sheesh, how to win friends and influence people.
Not first day, hundreds if not thousands of accounts over many years. Bit sad really. 😴

(Log in to remove this ad.)

really interested to see how the defence goes

Good mix of speed and aerial ability with jones buku Coffield and Ed who can all take a mark
This backline has Pratt's hands all over it.
Quick, nimble, speedy and huge aerial ability. Reminds me of a certain Weagles side....

I don’t like the glee on show regarding Schache’s failings/misfortune. It didn't work out with us but I don’t think there’s any need for malice either way.

You're on fire Mantis. A lot of excellent posts coming from you. Keep this up and you've got my vote for POTY.

I am sad that this is the first stage of our post Duryea era. He has been massively underrated since he came to the club.
He played the last preseason game so he’s clearly still thereabouts in the coaches eyes. That being said, we definitely did need to move past him and consider him a solid depth option rather than a best 22 player.

We go into the dees game with basically 3 players from other clubs who we not in their best 22 for former clubs lasts season plus 2 first gamers and probably Buku who was not best 22 for us last season. How much that will improve us is a big unknown.

I think our one wood and advantage over teams this season must be marks inside 50. So we need Astro, JUH, Lobb/Darcy to perform and for other parts of game to be ultra competitive.

Here is hoping we bring our A game.
If you look at this, combined with our host of new assistant coaches, its not surprising we're underdogs.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t have any ill feelings towards Schache, am kind of indifferent towards him, though he would probably have some more sympathy from me if he didn’t come out in an article stating falsehoods.

I love Buku in the back half.. Clean Hands, excellent field kick. He is just so versatile, could easily cement a solid backman combo with the Coff for 5-7 odd years.. Paired with the Human Wall ( Jonesy ), I like how the backline is being built.
As long as we don’t match him up on Fritsch.

As long as we don’t match him up on Fritsch.
I’m guessing Buku will go with JVR up the ground, Jones will take JVR when he’s deep. Similar for whoever out of Brown/Mcdonald they play, and Coffield to Fritsch.

Tbh I think we still need JOD, I don’t really want Buku spending time on JVR or Brown, McDonald is useless so don’t really mind that so much. I really rate Buku and I’m stoked he’s pushed his way into the team round 1, but he still ain’t a key defender.

I’m prettttty sure JOD plays, it’s taking a big risk if he doesn’t - I’m not totally against it and it might be a good strategy against melb to just hit them with speed but it’s a risk going in weak in the one part of the ground we should have a massive win over them (our aerial defence vs their fwd line)

Personally think it comes down to Johannisen and O’Donnell for last spot, depending on whether we want to go tall or small. But serious doubt over whether JJ plays, perhaps only as sub? If not this week, definitely next week.

At the moment I reckon he just clings on, but can see it going the other way.

FB Nick Coffield, Liam Jones, Lachie Bramble
HB Bailey Dale, Buku Khamis, Ed Richards
C Bailey Williams, Adam Treloar, Harvey Gallagher
HF Rhylee West, Aaron Naughton, Lachie McNeil
FF Cody Weightman, Rory Lobb, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
FOL Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore
INT Ryley Sanders, Jason Johannisen, Laitham Vandermeer, James Harmes SUB [PLAYERCARD]Caleb Daniel
EMG Sam Darcy, James O’Donnell, Oskar Baker

Personally think it comes down to Johannisen and O’Donnell for last spot, depending on whether we want to go tall or small. But serious doubt over whether JJ plays, perhaps only as sub? If not this week, definitely next week.

At the moment I reckon he just clings on, but can see it going the other way.

FB Nick Coffield, Liam Jones, Lachie Bramble
HB Bailey Dale, Buku Khamis, Ed Richards
C Bailey Williams, Adam Treloar, Harvey Gallagher
HF Rhylee West, Aaron Naughton, Lachie McNeil
FF Cody Weightman, Rory Lobb, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
FOL Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore
INT Ryley Sanders, Jason Johannisen, Laitham Vandermeer, James Harmes
SUB Caleb Daniel
EMG Sam Darcy, James O’Donnell, Oskar Baker
I had JJ as a lock but clearly Bramble has moved past him in the coaches eyes given Dale is also playing. I personally think they'll roll with JJ this week but JOD will have to come in for the following games when we face a bit more size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back