Game Day Dees vs Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Those types of positions are the avenues you bring young talent into the team though.

We seal them off with passable role players.
Who we gonna play instead though?

When Mackay in for Hartigan seems like a masterstroke, there's not much left at the bottom of that barrel.

Who we gonna play instead though?

When Mackay in for Hartigan seems like a masterstroke, there's not much left at the bottom of that barrel.
There's plenty of good young players out of the team in need of a chance.

Hopefully tonight confirmed to Pyke that our playing our Best 22 is a path to nowhere.

Amazing result up here tonight. Thought we looked putrid for 95 per cent of it, but credit where it is due. CEY excellent I thought, and Crouch! What a clutch player! Very slow to watch live, but he has excellent decision making and skills

It is not just about disposals , 7 clangers by Atkins . He also is an outside player and had 23 uncontested .
I am not saying to drop him necessarily but you can't just count possessions as a measure . Everyone has a different role ,
Gallucci kicked 1 and 3 direct goal assists from 6 inside 50's which was our clear best and = game high .
Atkins had no 1%ers at all , he was caught cold twice trying a weak fend off plus he squibbed 3 or 4 contests when it counted .

As soft as they come - if he remains in the team we will continue to be mediocre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did NTRabbit think of Brad’s game?

That kicking 3 goals from 3 opportunities was commendable, but the only good part of his game. Take out the goals and he was poor in general, still nothing but dump kicks and one way running.

Tagging Oliver out of the game in the second half and Greenwood imposing himself in the last were much more important, though really the key to our win was Melbourne kicking 1.8 in the last quarter, from shots that were largely low degree of difficulty.

Last edited:
The past two weeks we should've actually won - this is our worst effort since North game. No accountability. We may as well have O'Brien on the pine - and play a mid-sized ruck...maybe CEY as our ruckman. We must know Gawn is going to win all the taps, so we need to rove to his taps, forget about O'Brien. With Sloane finished and Betts clearly not right, it'll be a miracle if we win from here. Personally I think it's only going to get worse, as we've played them into last years form. Can't see us making the eight even now. Shattered!

This post aged well 😂

Ps: O’Brien had 34 hitouts to Gawn’s 30 🙊

Keath ain't a true KPD.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I thought Keath was pretty good and held his own while providing run off the backline unlike any other KPD we have.

The one who I thought let us down the most, and was likely on who Hartigan would have been on had hartigan played was Jake Kelly , and I've been a big supporter of kelly's , but he had his colours lowered last night imho.

His direct match up on paper was Harmes and just purely going on stats, Kelly had 15 disposals, 10 tackles which is a good effort but also 5 clangers fro 15 disposals (pretty poor) and 7 marks, pretty good. But going by eye he coudn't spoil and looked slow, nothing swapping him with hartigan would have fixed imho.

While Harmes had on paper 29 disposals (double kelly's. Not good enough for a defender on a key player) , 3 marks and 3 tackles, bit of an alround game, and he had 6 inside 50's. Too much of the ball and too many inside 50's. He hurt us. He also had 5 clangers, but his 5 clangers came from 29 disposals compared to kelly's 5 clangers from 15 disposals. If anyone were to go for Hartigan, which i wouldn't want it to happen next week, i would like to give this backline a bit more time, maybe til the bye at least, and see if we are still winning matches without hartigan but if kelly isn't up to it, i think he should be the out for hartigan, not keath, that's for sure.

Let's not gloss over the fact they had 62 inside 50's and we still won the game. That's right SIXTY TWO INSIDE 50'S!!. Hartigan would fall to pieces under that type of pressure. Seen it time and time again. Him not playing was probably the difference between us winning, and losing in all honesty. They finally got something right at the selection table imo, while we only had 45 inside 50's and still got the result. Not ideal, but it shows overall our defence held up as well, enough... Just. But the weak link last night imho was kelly. Which is disappointing because i do rate him as a key player for our side going forward.

I actually don't think hartigan needs to come back until after the bye at the earliest and that's only if we are leaking goals like we do when he does play.

It's funny cause all week Victorians have asked why they aren't in the team

Did you see how awkward the press conference was when Pyke was asked about Jenkins game. Pyke praised Gibbs for his shut down roll on Oliver. The stats say it was a game changer move at half time.

Both made a statement saying they want to play afl. They won us a game that we should of lost and perhaps would of increased the volume of those calling for pykes remova(had we lost).

Melbourne were always going to run out of legs. What this did is allow us to see what works in terms of forward delivery. We are so dangerous at that 30 meter spot in front of goal. With Betts at 20 hitting the feet of the key forward as the ball arrives.

On another note, the 6 6 6 rule is starting to look like a canny move. Lots of comebacks late.

Because they’d all got around him out on the ground. Were they supposed to do it all night? He’ll beat himself up about no matter what any of them say.
Nope
Not all night Jen
But it is in the rooms where it hits players ....

Ten minutes and I didn’t see one person consoling him

Young player needed to hear it was all their fault not his

Weideman looked nervous to me ;)

you-got-me.gif

Not in the rooms m
Sat there by himself for a good 5 minutes

Fox even kept the camera on him in a split screen shot
Yeah the Losercam focused on his face for 5 minutes was a nice touch I thought.

This post aged well 😂

Ps: O’Brien had 34 hitouts to Gawn’s 30 🙊
Touche! Lol - I just couldn't watch any more after a few minutes of the third qtr as we were horrible.
P.S....how many actually were to advantage? And we were exceedingly lucky to win, only their ineptitude in front of goal let us off the hook. (Nice to be on the right side of the ledger for once!)

Touche! Lol - I just couldn't watch any more after a few minutes of the third qtr as we were horrible.
P.S....how many actually were to advantage? And we were exceedingly lucky to win, only their ineptitude in front of goal let us off the hook. (Nice to be on the right side of the ledger for once!)

Haha yeah look O’Brien didn’t exactly set the world on fire, and without having access to the official stats, I would suggest only about 5 or so of his 34 hitouts would have been to advantage. The hitout discrepancy was largely because Gawn does not contest ruck contests inside the Dees forward 50 (and there were a LOT of these stoppages last night), but I still thought O’Brien was better (ie more competitive) against Gawn than Sauce has been the last few times we’ve played them, particularly after half time.

I thought Keath was pretty good and held his own while providing run off the backline unlike any other KPD we have.

The one who I thought let us down the most, and was likely on who Hartigan would have been on had hartigan played was Jake Kelly , and I've been a big supporter of kelly's , but he had his colours lowered last night imho.

His direct match up on paper was Harmes and just purely going on stats, Kelly had 15 disposals, 10 tackles which is a good effort but also 5 clangers fro 15 disposals (pretty poor) and 7 marks, pretty good. But going by eye he coudn't spoil and looked slow, nothing swapping him with hartigan would have fixed imho.

While Harmes had on paper 29 disposals (double kelly's. Not good enough for a defender on a key player) , 3 marks and 3 tackles, bit of an alround game, and he had 6 inside 50's. Too much of the ball and too many inside 50's. He hurt us. He also had 5 clangers, but his 5 clangers came from 29 disposals compared to kelly's 5 clangers from 15 disposals. If anyone were to go for Hartigan, which i wouldn't want it to happen next week, i would like to give this backline a bit more time, maybe til the bye at least, and see if we are still winning matches without hartigan but if kelly isn't up to it, i think he should be the out for hartigan, not keath, that's for sure.

Let's not gloss over the fact they had 62 inside 50's and we still won the game. That's right SIXTY TWO INSIDE 50'S!!. Hartigan would fall to pieces under that type of pressure. Seen it time and time again. Him not playing was probably the difference between us winning, and losing in all honesty. They finally got something right at the selection table imo, while we only had 45 inside 50's and still got the result. Not ideal, but it shows overall our defence held up as well, enough... Just. But the weak link last night imho was kelly. Which is disappointing because i do rate him as a key player for our side going forward.

I actually don't think hartigan needs to come back until after the bye at the earliest and that's only if we are leaking goals like we do when he does play.
So you've moved on from Kyle Hartigan and Reilly O'Brien to Jake Kelly now?

Harmes incidentally looked to spend considerable time on ball to my eye?

I notice you cherry picked Jake's stats by the looks, for the record he also had 7 Rebound 50's, 1 less than Brodie Smith, 4 more than both Alex Keath and Daniel Talia, 2 more than Rory Laird and 6 more than Luke Brown. A team high 10 1 percenters to go with his 5 score involvements.

Jake Kelly was a long way from our worst player last night and is having his best season since he's been on our list, he might not be in our best 22 when Doedee comes back and if some of our youngsters come on quicker than expected but currently he's safely inside our best 22 for the role he's playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back