Delistings 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

He's most of the way through his 2nd poor year in a row. We have plenty who can do his role. He's the exact sort of player that we should be looking at moving on. Frees up cap space, should be able to get something alright for him, ready made replacements on the list.
AA in 2016, still had 20 disposals a game in 2017 but only played 17 games due to injury. Wasn't able to start till r7 this year after an injury in the JLT and was then inexplicably dropped after one game. With Hartlett, Jonas, DBJ, Clurey and Howard he forms our best defence. The question is not who can perform that role but who works best with the others, and Pittard at his best still has plenty to offer. And he is signed till 2020, he is going nowhere.

Urgh, he isn't a solution.

Really our defensive unit is rock soild. Howard, Jonas, Cluery, DBJ, Hartlett, Houston, that's a great back 6 still developing. With Bonner and Co rotating.

Our depth is shocking but we are really wasting the talent we have on the list. Wines, Rockcliff, Polec, Winagrd, Motlop, SPP, exc Boak, Ebert etc, is a good midfield. We are really burning this talent. Obviously we can't but I'd love to see what Clarckson would do with this list, I bet it would be top 2 in 2018. We will never know.

If we move on Pittard and Bonner moves to the Wing in Polec's absence, I think he'll get another go.

According to footywire, which is not infallible, the following players are un contracted at the end of 2018:

Cameron Hewett (R)
Emmannuel Irra (R)
Jack Trengove
Jake Neade
Jared Polec
Jarrod Lienert (R)
Jimmy Toumpas
Joe Atley
Justin Westhoff (Unrestricted Free Agent)
Lindsay Thomas (R)
Peter Ladhams (R)
Trent McKenzie
Will Snelling (R)

Any one else will have to be traded.

From that list only Westhoff, Polec and Lienert are must keeps. The rest are expendable but they are probably not the players responsible for our current situation. Delisting all of these guys with the exception of Westhoff, Lienert and Polec who might be traded anyway, would create space on our lists. I think Atley is OK and Trengove might be worth another year but the rest could go.

I cannot see the current crop doing anything of significance. Time for a massive rebuild of kids.

Feel sorry that we have burnt Robbie's career. Let the kid go and play with Richmond so he can go out with a flag...

And why the hell did we recruit Rockliff when we already had Boak and Ebert? Can't play all 3 of them (not to mention SPP) in the same side IMO. Crazy stuff.
Rockcliff was suppose to be that consistent 35-40 possession ball magnet we so badly need. He isnt.

If Tom freaking Rockliff can't accumulate 30+ then nobody would be able to. It's the system.

We recruit him and play inferior midfielders in his best position instead.

I strongly suspect that his role this year has been recommended by the high performance department who claim he was too far behind the 8 ball after his pretty garbage pre-season.

I'd back both Motlop and Rockliff to have better seasons next year. Watts, god knows. We just don't play a game that gets the ball into his hands enough.

If Tom freaking Rockliff can't accumulate 30+ then nobody would be able to. It's the system.
Agree to an extent but he seems to be playing under a bit of duress physically. I think his peak years are behind him. However, he is a clever user of the ball and has good vision and doesn't panic. But we are badly in need of midfield line breakers.

And I hate our system and have made this abundantly clear since mid 2015.

My list management strategy:

Rookie Upgrade: Houston, Lienert
Rookie Retain: Ladhams, Irra (Upgrade to Cat A)
Rookie Delist: Snelling, Hewett, Thomas

Delist: Neade, Mckenzie, Toumpas

Trade (unreastic, but worth a shot):
Polec, 45 & 48 for pick 9 & 2019 R2
Amon for 4th round pick (StK pick #66)
S Gray for 2nd round pick (Carl #25)
Pittard, 9 & 12 to GC for 2 & 17

Draft Picks:
2, 17, 22, 25, 30, 66
Like.

I also wouldn't mind some player trades. Just to give us a different mix.

And some free agents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Emmannuel Irra (R) cat b delist

Will Snelling (R) - delist
Lindsay Thomas (R) delist
Cameron Hewett (R) delist

Jarrod Lienert (R) retain
Peter Ladhams (R) retain - second year ruck - might as well
Jack Trengove meh? prob delist / maybe rerookie

houston - 3rd year must upgrade

Trent McKenzie -delist
Jimmy Toumpas delist
Jake Neade delist/trade for chips
Barry - delist depending on mature age contract???

Jack Trengove meh? prob delist /say re-rookie

Jared Polec -trade if he wants
Joe Atley - trade if he wants

Justin Westhoff (Unrestricted Free Agent) - keep

So.

One cat b delisted.

Three rookies delisted. One upgraded. 4 spots minus 1 trengove. 3 spots.

Five delist. Two trade. Seven spots minus Houston. 6 spots.

Bring in Lycett. We can also rejig list numbers. 38/6/1 atm could go 40/4.

Anyway 9 spots without even trying with a great sa draft coming up.

Unless we trade them players like Jasper Pittard and Sam Gray will not be going anywhere and I suspect the four below face the greatest prospect of being delisted from our main list.

Trent Mc Kenzie- has played a total of 15 games in the last three seasons and his best footy was five seasons ago. He was probably only signed as a depth player hence the one year deal and if he did resurrect his career it would probably have to be as a forward because we are full down back.

Jackson Trengove- another with a one year deal so you wonder if we took a 'wait and see' approach. He looks to have got his body right and I wasn't that disappointed in the games he got. Is a bit on the slow side and if we keep him on it might only be as a depth player.

Jimmy Toumpas- out of contract and probably out of chances. He is a good SANFL player but has not set the AFL scene alight.

Jake Neade- out of contract and has had plenty of chances but hasn't done enough. The emergence of Aidyn Johnson and Kane Farrell has put pressure on Jake's position as a forward.

There is a chance that one or more of the above players could be redrafted to the Rookie list. I expect that Dan Houston and possibly Jarrod Lienert will be going up into a couple of the slots.

Sigh

You think a token pick is better than those 2? Irrespective of the awful problems it will bring.

Who are the 2019 and 2020 free agents we could target by paying fewer bucks to players that can’t take us to a flag? We need to plan long term. Rick knows it but it’s not going to be Ken’s MO as he will be in career saving mode and he’s too nice.

I'd like McKenzie to get another year.
He should be on the half forward flank. We are so bad at maximising the strengths of our players, instead of everyone being Defense Bot 1 through 22. If we actually had a player who can put it through from 55-60 playing at that distance out, it’d help stop our forward line being such a contested shithole. But Ken be ‘No he’s going down back where he’s a second rate defender, for reasons’ :rolleyes:

Who are the 2019 and 2020 free agents we could target by paying fewer bucks to players that can’t take us to a flag? We need to plan long term. Rick knows it but it’s not going to be Ken’s MO as he will be in career saving mode and he’s too nice.

Some that caught my eye, but not all of them.

Lachie Neale (restricted)
Adam Tomlinson (restricted)
Dylan Sheil (restricted)
Nick Haynes (restricted)

Our Free agents to worry about
Wingard (restricted)
R.Gray (unrestricted)

Dayne Zorko (restricted)
Brodie Grundy (restricted)
Joe Daniher (restricted)
Jeramy Cameron (restricted)
Jon Patton (restricted)
Lachie Whitfield (restricted)
Zach Williams (restricted)
Jack Viney (restricted)
Gary Rohan (restricted)
Jack Darling (restricted)

From Us
Ebo (restricted)
Pittard (un-restricted)

Some that caught my eye, but not all of them.

Lachie Neale (restricted)
Adam Tomlinson (restricted)
Dylan Sheil (restricted)
Nick Haynes (restricted)

Our Free agents to worry about
Wingard (restricted)
R.Gray (unrestricted)

Dayne Zorko (restricted)
Brodie Grundy (restricted)
Joe Daniher (restricted)
Jeramy Cameron (restricted)
Jon Patton (restricted)
Lachie Whitfield (restricted)
Zach Williams (restricted)
Jack Viney (restricted)
Gary Rohan (restricted)
Jack Darling (restricted)

From Us
Ebo (restricted)
Pittard (un-restricted)

Hmm we’d be lucky to get any of them. Neale would be handy but he’s not an obvious need.

I'd like McKenzie to get another year.

Nah. Lienert's pretty much doing everything that McKenzie could do for us. And his body hasn't been up to it for a fair few consecutive years now. Was worth a punt but it hasn't paid off.

It's not Ryder's fault our list manager is too much of an imbecile to have a single plug and play ruckman as backup. Outside of Ryder we have underdeveloped idiots and a 18 year old with a new knee.
100% correct about the list manager.

According to footywire, which is not infallible, the following players are un contracted at the end of 2018:
[...]
Any one else will have to be traded.

From that list only Westhoff, Polec and Lienert are must keeps. The rest are expendable but they are probably not the players responsible for our current situation. Delisting all of these guys with the exception of Westhoff, Lienert and Polec who might be traded anyway, would create space on our lists. I think Atley is OK and Trengove might be worth another year but the rest could go.

Given the 13 names, this would be my preference for delisting, from the most delistable players to the least:

Group I - Joe Atley, Jake Neade, Will Snelling (R), Jimmy Toumpas;
Group II - Cameron Hewett (R), Emmannuel Irra (R), Peter Ladhams (R);
Group III - Trent McKenzie, Lindsay Thomas (R), Jack Trengove.

I wouldn't delist neither Lienert, Polec, or Westhoff.

Given the 13 names, this would be my preference for delisting, from the most delistable players to the least:

Group I - Joe Atley, Jake Neade, Will Snelling (R), Jimmy Toumpas;
Group II - Cameron Hewett (R), Emmannuel Irra (R), Peter Ladhams (R);
Group III - Trent McKenzie, Lindsay Thomas (R), Jack Trengove.

I wouldn't delist neither Lienert, Polec, or Westhoff.

The ones in bold we should be keeping, McKenzie and Snelling i wouldn't mind for one more year.

My list management strategy:

Rookie Upgrade: Houston, Lienert
Rookie Retain: Ladhams, Irra (Upgrade to Cat A)
Rookie Delist: Snelling, Hewett, Thomas

Delist: Neade, Mckenzie, Toumpas

Trade (unreastic, but worth a shot):
Polec, 45 & 48 for pick 9 & 2019 R2
Amon for 4th round pick (StK pick #66)
S Gray for 2nd round pick (Carl #25)
Pittard, 9 & 12 to GC for 2 & 17

Draft Picks:
2, 17, 22, 25, 30, 66

Love this. Throw in Boak if sweetener required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back