Depression - The underestimated tormentor

Remove this Banner Ad

In relating religion, spirituality and depression, I get angry or annoyed or disappointed when some people refuse to take responsibility for themselves or simply wallow in self pity waiting for 'someone else' to save them.

Religion is not bad or destructive in it's basic sense, just that it can lead to giving a person with very low self esteem a false sense of hope. I have always thought that 'God' was merely another word for your conscience or sensiblity.

How often do we gripe at someone for becoming too dependant on someone in a normal relationship? It's sort of similar when you really think about it.

I get inspiration or good vibes from religious or spiritual stuff but I know that it's just because I am understanding myself better not because 'God' told me.

as bad as it has often been suffering depression, if i was to rely on religion, i would have already topped myself. religion is the root of all evil...

Originally posted by Asgardian
DAMN, crap like that makes me angry

Religion is merely an emotional crutch for those who are too scared to face up to life on their own two feet.

Religion provides excuses (it's the will of God -- CRAP)
People are free to use what they want, if it is religion, okay, but don't try to tell me that I need religion. I've been there, done that. I know what religion is, and I reject it, totally, for all time

Whoa steady there boy!

I'm not saying religion is for everyone, only some, and I'm certainly not saying it is for you, and it isn't for me. But there are personality types out there who benefit from religion guidance and the religious experience. For those people who would benefit, but don't have that guidance, then probability of them lapsing into clinical depression increases.

Conversely of couse, there are those who are reared in a religious environment who are more likely to fall into depression. For example people who are homosexual may feel within the church environment that they are evil or bad because it is said that homosexuality is a sin, these people are also more likely to fall into depression.

Mate, it's horses for courses!

Originally posted by Katthawk
In relating religion, spirituality and depression, I get angry or annoyed or disappointed when some people refuse to take responsibility for themselves or simply wallow in self pity waiting for 'someone else' to save them.

Religion is not bad or destructive in it's basic sense, just that it can lead to giving a person with very low self esteem a false sense of hope. I have always thought that 'God' was merely another word for your conscience or sensiblity.

How often do we gripe at someone for becoming too dependant on someone in a normal relationship? It's sort of similar when you really think about it.

Hold on there, if I'm reading you right then you're being very insensitive. I've dealt with a lot of people with depression including myself and the ability to take responsibility for themselves or shake off the dependancy is a very long road for the majority. You have to be mentally strong to snap out of these feelings and in depression you are mentally weak. Some have low self esteem but not all, often it is circumstantial. Try telling an agraphoebic to do things they are afraid of, many can't get out of their home without help and are very depressed.
If relegion helps depression then it's good. And why should there not be a God? Without one what is the purpose of life and who created this unbelievable world we live in...the greenies??? or a magnificent explosion (big bang....oops...who created the chemicals for that)

Originally posted by Frodo
Hold on there, if I'm reading you right then you're being very insensitive.

Very well, this gives me a chance to iron out my insensitivity a little better.

I also have had depression so I am not entirely naive. I was brought up going to Sunday school and church etc and it was all very conservative. So I never saw it as anything to help me. At that stage I was not depressed I don't think.

Of course people who have depression need something to support them and give them guidance, but I was just trying to say that in my experience I found that it all came back to what was in my head. I needed people to help me through it particularly at the start too but I found that to really get over my insecurities I had to at one point recognize that it was only going to be done by me.

I guess I feel that some people may take too much solace in what someone else tells them or guides them to do without ever really getting around to thinking for themselves.

The thing about 'God' being just your conscience I still hold with but that is my view only. I occasionally ask 'God' a question but that is only when I feel the need to put it to 'someone' rather than just fling it out there. Others can think otherwise.

The big bang theory has been done before as a thread. Let's not start on that one. It was never resolved. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back