Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

If youre suggesting your mental health cant afford a month off booze because its a form of self medication (and im speculating wildly here piecing bits together) id strongly suggest seeking some help, im not doctor and im loathed to play armchair analyst but thats not a healthy relationship with alcohol.
I've sought help for years. It's a bit of a strange one.
Now I'm older I realise I've always been somehow screwed up mentally and it should have been addressed years a go.
But fine it wasn't but I and everyone else has to ask the question do you keep going back to the same dry well or just live your life

Depression doesn’t ever go away, there is no magic cure. You beat it for a while then it bites back.
Yep. Don't know why. Got to just handle it better. I think it might be part genetic. I remember when I was 13 and trying to deal. No rhyme or reason I wasn't exactly in WW1 but it happened still does you deal.
Just need a break as I'm 40 and I'm getting chest pains and other ailments which while ok now won't be good in 10 years. I need a circuit breaker desperately

If youre suggesting your mental health cant afford a month off booze because its a form of self medication (and im speculating wildly here piecing bits together) id strongly suggest seeking some help, im not doctor and im loathed to play armchair analyst but thats not a healthy relationship with alcohol.
I agree with you btw, but where does this mysterious help come from?
Could you afford a month of work?
And even if you could just where exactly are you going to seek this mysterious help? Psychology? GPs?
It's bullshit.
Just need to form a plan and build from there

I agree with you btw, but where does this mysterious help come from?
Could you afford a month of work?
And even if you could just where exactly are you going to seek this mysterious help? Psychology? GPs?
It's bullshit.
Just need to form a plan and build from there
I’ve personally never dealt with alcoholism in any capacity (my mother was and likely still is one) but lifeline has a substance abuse service and yeh a GP would be a good start too.

I’ve personally never dealt with alcoholism in any capacity (my mother was and likely still is one) but lifeline has a substance abuse service and yeh a GP would be a good start too.
How many times do you get insulted by or dismissed or chucked down the line by GPS? Not to mention I was blatantly ignored these last 2 years. * them.
What other services? There are none. Pay 5 grand for a ridiculous rehab facility if you don't have it then what
And then after all this you still need to formulate a life

How many times do you get insulted by or dismissed or chucked down the line by GPS? Not to mention I was blatantly ignored these last 2 years. * them.
What other services? There are none. Pay 5 grand for a ridiculous rehab facility if you don't have it then what
And then after all this you still need to formulate a life
Mate, sincerely, I’m not the Avenue to seek help I’m simply pointing out that if you self medicate with alcohol that’s not healthy. There are avenues (a quick Google showed me 6-7 that don’t cost anything). I’m also not gonna advocate for doctors but if you have an issue this serious it’s going to benefit you a lot more to find a GP that will listen and help than it will to have a go at me and keep drinking.

Mate, sincerely, I’m not the Avenue to seek help I’m simply pointing out that if you self medicate with alcohol that’s not healthy. There are avenues (a quick Google showed me 6-7 that don’t cost anything). I’m also not gonna advocate for doctors but if you have an issue this serious it’s going to benefit you a lot more to find a GP that will listen and help than it will to have a go at me and keep drinking.
Fair point in hindsight I think I need ,6 months off.
Nd really find a better job and better structure networks and a GP that's not chasing the money and a counsellor not going through the motions.
But that ain't possible so we keep going

Nd really find a better job and better structure networks and a GP that's not chasing the money and a counsellor not going through the motions.
When you say counsellor do you mean psychologist? Or just a general counsellor? It is my understanding that basically anyone can call themselves a counsellor in Australia. See here:

I get your frustration with the issues but it is possible. I despise GPs but I actually found a really good one when I ruptured my Achilles. Again, I know it’s hard but it’s better than the alternative

I get your frustration with the issues but it is possible. I despise GPs but I actually found a really good one when I ruptured my Achilles. Again, I know it’s hard but it’s better than the alternative
True. I want my whole life to be better but it's not possible ATM with certain employment circumstances and GPS and my personality type which is fine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate that day. What are you supposed to say, "no"? Then burden others?
It’s just a day for others to feel good about themselves. Most of the people who post ruok wouldn’t even know how to respond if I said I was feeling down. Yes the day raises awareness but it makes me people like me feel even more alone in this world as I battle my demons by myself

It’s just a day for others to feel good about themselves. Most of the people who post ruok wouldn’t even know how to respond if I said I was feeling down. Yes the day raises awareness but it makes me people like me feel even more alone in this world as I battle my demons by myself
You hit the nail on the head. It is just a day for others to think they are somehow helping. I don't knock them, that is just what the day is made out to be, I blame whoever came up with it.

I hate that day. What are you supposed to say, "no"? Then burden others?
Yes that’s the whole idea but it should be R U Ok day everyday.

Tell someone who asks , I reckon the majority wouldn’t ask if they didn’t truly care .
Sharing it feels better if you can find someone to confide in
But be sure not to just dwell on yourself , that’s part of the trick to dealing with depression, try not to make it all about you .
You’d be amazed how many of us are struggling inside with all sorts of s**t but some hide it better than others .
I found I got to the point where I would just say no , no I’m not , then once the conversation starts you realise you aren’t alone, so that helps get you through another day and then another .

I'm currently overwhelmed with depression and anxiety.

As a result of a serious medical condition over the past 18 months, I had two major operations and since the first one, I've had mobility issues. Hospital gave me a walking stick to use and I thought I'd be returning it a few weeks later. But no - nearly a year later and I still need it.

Not being able to even bend down to pick up something I've dropped or do anything more than very simple housework is very frustrating.

I need to see my GP about my medical issues and take steps to work out a mental health plan with him.

I have also arranged for a social worker to have a phone-interview with me so I can ask about other options to help deal with my situation.

i just decided to post this here as a sort of affirmation. To remind me to take steps - even little ones - rather than have the stresses paralyze me, as they have been doing.

Yes that’s the whole idea but it should be R U Ok day everyday.

Tell someone who asks , I reckon the majority wouldn’t ask if they didn’t truly care .
Sharing it feels better if you can find someone to confide in
But be sure not to just dwell on yourself , that’s part of the trick to dealing with depression, try not to make it all about you .
You’d be amazed how many of us are struggling inside with all sorts of s**t but some hide it better than others .
I found I got to the point where I would just say no , no I’m not , then once the conversation starts you realise you aren’t alone, so that helps get you through another day and then another .
Yes, I see your point. I just have this thing about putting my problems onto others. I'm talking about friends, family etc. Not medical professionals who are trained in these things.

I mean if I asked someone "Are you OK" and they seriously replied with "No, I'm really struggling and I'd rather just die". I wouldn't know what to do and then I'd be constantly worrying about that person. Then if they DID do something to themselves I'd regret it for the rest of my life.

I can be very difficult to convince someone to seek help. I've had people come up to me mentioning various problems they are having in their life, but nothing really serious. I've been supportive but I'm no mental health professional. The only advice I'd probably give is "See a Dr, I'll come with you for support if you like". I wouldn't know what else to do.

Last edited:
I'm not okay daily. Is it wrong to just never feel like we belong here as I've felt that from when I was a child.
I definitely feel like I don’t belong here , wish I could turn back time 15 years when I was in a better place. I’ve only got myself to blame for where I am now and I really can’t find a way to get out.

Yes, I see your point. I just have this thing about putting my problems onto others. I'm talking about friends, family etc. Not medical professionals who are trained in these things.

I mean if I asked someone "Are you OK" and they seriously replied with "No, I'm really struggling and I'd rather just die". I wouldn't know what to do and then I'd be constantly worrying about that person. Then if they DID do something to themselves I'd regret it for the rest of my life.

I can be very difficult to convince someone to seek help. I've had people come up to me mentioning various problems they are having in their life, but nothing really serious. I've been supportive but I'm no mental health professional. The only advice I'd probably give is "See a Dr, I'll come with you for support if you like". I wouldn't know what else to do.
Yes I understand but life constantly questions us to look back in the mirror and say “ did I say the right thing or act the right way?”
The truth is a lot of the time it might not have been ideal but the key is to not shy away and shirk the responsibility because a lot of the time we do get it right and it really helps people .

If someone has opened up to you and you’ve shared your own story , provided advice , told them you are sympathetic or whatever …… at least you have tried .
If something did happen to that person I’d rather know I tried than did nothing .
But then there’s always the old “ but I could have done more “ conundrum.
Nothing easy about this mortal coil 🙄

Yes I understand but life constantly questions us to look back in the mirror and say “ did I say the right thing or act the right way?”
The truth is a lot of the time it might not have been ideal but the key is to not shy away and shirk the responsibility because a lot of the time we do get it right and it really helps people .

If someone has opened up to you and you’ve shared your own story , provided advice , told them you are sympathetic or whatever …… at least you have tried .
If something did happen to that person I’d rather know I tried than did nothing .
But then there’s always the old “ but I could have done more “ conundrum.
Nothing easy about this mortal coil 🙄
Oh, if someone told me they wanted to die and refused to see a Dr I would definitely report it somehow.

If someone needs support though tough times I will be there. It's just hard with this R U OK thing. I mean, whenever someone asks that the last thing they want to hear back is "no".

Oh, if someone told me they wanted to die and refused to see a Dr I would definitely report it somehow.

If someone needs support though tough times I will be there. It's just hard with this R U OK thing. I mean, whenever someone asks that the last thing they want to hear back is "no".

Don’t be too sure about that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back