Remove this Banner Ad

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
At my blood test today started talking to the nurse about my Depression and Anxiety.

Even after she said she suffered from it to, and was very nice, I left there overthinking how she'll think I'm a pussy for my admission and how she'll laugh about it with the other nurse. That this guy, being a 6'3, fairly well built guy, how could he have it? It's the over-analyzing of every social interaction that is so unbelievably exhausting.

Maybe it stems from my co-workers who work in the hospital, talk about their friend's (nurses) PTSD and bipolar and behind their back says how they should get over it....other nurses talking about people 'snapping out of it' etc....it's like....am I really over analyzing if this attitude is still this prevalent...among healthcare workers of all people!
Unless someone has had depression or a loved one or understands and has actually properly studied it at uni, most people lack the understanding of how depression and anxiety can effect your life in every single way.

I wouldnt worry or concern yourself over it.

La Dispute

La Dispute
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins
Food and in particular junk food, can be too comforting. Sometimes the ability to think about going to exercise can be too much for some.

I will say to anyone out there not eating,sleeping or drinking properly, to try and at least go for a walk. You will be surprised just how powerful a simple walk 10-20 min walk can be to clear the mind.

When you begin to walk, you then can start to look at wanting to exercise properly and from there, you will then appreciate how important it is to eat and drink properly to fuel your workouts but also sleep too to assist in your recovery.

Every journey, begins with one step.
One of the best tricks I learnt was to aim small at whatever activity you're trying to do.

If you're wanting to go on a run just aim for a trip around the block - your mind will often intervene to do more. Then do that until it becomes a habit and automatic and almost mechanical.

Same for reading, same for meditation - anything you want to incorporate start almost ridiculously slow so at at absolute worst you've ticked it off.

I find I just tend to eat healthy if I exercise because I don't want to sabotage the gains I've made from eating correctly. That too just becomes a self-sustaining cycle.

In reality most good habits feed on eat other.

Good nutrition means you're more likely to exercise (and vice versa), good exercise means you exhaust yourself by the end of the day and have better sleep. Good sleep means you're more likely to be in the mood to eat well (your brain craves food more when you are tired) and exercise.

Run n Spread

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I struggle with unexpected noise.
Like now. Can deal ok with the day but some tradie is round doing * knows what which I knew nothing about and it's doing my head in.

Run n Spread

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
At my blood test today started talking to the nurse about my Depression and Anxiety.

Even after she said she suffered from it to, and was very nice, I left there overthinking how she'll think I'm a pussy for my admission and how she'll laugh about it with the other nurse. That this guy, being a 6'3, fairly well built guy, how could he have it? It's the over-analyzing of every social interaction that is so unbelievably exhausting.

Maybe it stems from my co-workers who work in the hospital, talk about their friend's (nurses) PTSD and bipolar and behind their back says how they should get over it....other nurses talking about people 'snapping out of it' etc....it's like....am I really over analyzing if this attitude is still this prevalent...among healthcare workers of all people!
Most will not get it. Mostly just ignorance and lack of understanding and some are just arseholes.
Post here. I'm over the world ATM but trying out a few different things

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I struggle with unexpected noise.
Like now. Can deal ok with the day but some tradie is round doing duck knows what which I knew nothing about and it's doing my head in.
Headphones? Try and listen to something that relaxes and calms you.

Run n Spread

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Unless someone has had depression or a loved one or understands and has actually properly studied it at uni, most people lack the understanding of how depression and anxiety can effect your life in every single way.

I wouldnt worry or concern yourself over it.
This. I barely understand it myself.
Don't know. Is it genetic? Environmental? Age? Choices?
I don't know.
Problem I have is doctors etc don't really see me when I've had a meltdown.
So I go in asked awkard questions and either I'm dismissed as faking and/or can't wait to get out of there

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This. I barely understand it myself.
Don't know. Is it genetic? Environmental? Age? Choices?
I don't know.
Problem I have is doctors etc don't really see me when I've had a meltdown.
So I go in asked awkard questions and either I'm dismissed as faking and/or can't wait to get out of there

Use your phone.

By that I mean, when you are in position to write notes when you have a meltdown or dont word questions properly, use one of the apps to record notes on your phone and pull them out when you go for your consult. There is even apps you can use to record voice note messages if its too hard to write or make nots.

I actually did this years ago before apps and phones where used the way they are used today. By that I mean I had a Samsung Note, the original one and used the pen to write notes so I could communicate clearly with my doctor.

This way you have dot points of all the questions you need to ask. There is an app called To Do List, you can tick them off after you ask each question.

Marklar_33

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2005
Tas
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
D'Backs, Hurricanes
Everything’s getting too hard. I don’t know what else to say. I could write ten thousand words about how I’ve done what I think is right by others, or what I’ll perceive as what other people want for me, when now it hits me that I don’t want these things. I want what I had, can’t have it. I want to flee, not possible. I don’t want to share her anymore, I’m lost when she’s not here. The worst of it is I’ve done the right thing by committing to care for someone 10 nights a fortnight and that drags me away from my daughter, and when I do get back, there’s school and work and I see her for 2 hours before bed and 1 hour in the morning. I moved house and two months in I’m sleeping on the floor surrounded by boxes because I can’t be ducked. I’m a ticking time bomb. Who cares, it’s my problem. I’ve gotta find my way up again. Friends don’t want to deal with it, not past a certain point. I’m trapped in a life I don’t want

GROTTO

TheBrownDog
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I moved house and two months in I’m sleeping on the floor surrounded by boxes because I can’t be ducked. I’m a ticking time bomb. Who cares, it’s my problem. I’ve gotta find my way up again. Friends don’t want to deal with it, not past a certain point. I’m trapped in a life I don’t want

Im sorry to hear about your challenges and difficulties.

All I ask is for you to try and do just one "small" thing a day and build on that, over a few days and over next few weeks than months.

It can be as simple as just opening every box only as the first challenge on day 1. Then on day 2, maybe take out an item you may need to use out of the box. Just keep on keeping it easy, stick to doing just one or two things a day. If you have any momentum then sure do more, but try and stick to doing just one small thing each day.

Those small goals, do add up and build towards a bigger goal.

Stay strong and have faith in the process, it does work. I know, as things similarly have happened to me in the past.

Last edited:

Marklar_33

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2005
Tas
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
D'Backs, Hurricanes
Im sorry to hear about your challenges and difficulties.

All I ask is for you to try and do just one "small" thing a day and build on that, over a few days and over next few weeks than months.

It can be as simple as just opening every box only as the first challenge on day 1. Then on day 2, maybe take out an item you may need to use out of the box. Just keep on keeping it easy, stick to doing just one or two things a day. If you have any momentum then sure do more, but try and stick to doing just one small thing each day.

Those small goals, do add up and build towards a bigger goal.

Stay strong and have faith in the process, it does work. I know, as things similarly have happened to me in the past.
I actually got up feeling a bit better, maybe this little vent took a load off. Kinda helped that I had nowhere to be today. And I built my bed so that’s something!

Perth gal

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Well it’s been a year and 3 months since I started having therapy with a psychologist. Been going sometimes weekly , sometimes fortnightly. I’ve gone from someone who was deeply depressed with crippling anxiety, no self esteem, lots of self hatred and so one who believed that they were to blame for the all the abuse I’ve suffered to someone who believes in themself. I feel like im a kind, fantastic person who can achieve nearly anything.
The key is finding someone who you click with who understands you and who you trust.
You can do it too people.
It’s not about changing your circumstances, it’s about changing your mindset.

Then , things around you change.

Electronic_Renaissance

I ain't sayin' nothin'!
Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers
Well it’s been a year and 3 months since I started having therapy with a psychologist. Been going sometimes weekly , sometimes fortnightly. I’ve gone from someone who was deeply depressed with crippling anxiety, no self esteem, lots of self hatred and so one who believed that they were to blame for the all the abuse I’ve suffered to someone who believes in themself. I feel like im a kind, fantastic person who can achieve nearly anything.
The key is finding someone who you click with who understands you and who you trust.

Great to hear you found someone who can help you. Everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others.

I've tried psychologists a few times but they haven't worked for me, unfortunately.

I have been with a psychiatrist who I believe is doing good for me. I am not cured but I have at least got to the point where I can sort of get by.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perth gal

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Great to hear you found someone who can help you. Everyone is different and what works for some may not work for others.

I've tried psychologists a few times but they haven't worked for me, unfortunately.

I have been with a psychiatrist who I believe is doing good for me. I am not cured but I have at least got to the point where I can sort of get by.
Keep trying you just haven’t found the right one for you. But Im glad you have made progress.

phantom13

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

This is great, well done. It cannot be overstated how brave it is to take the steps to help yourself and it deserves to be celebrated more.

Ive never met you but im really proud of you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad