Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

btw, a good, well balanced diet is very important for overall health and well being, mood and sleep etc.

Hey All. I hope your New Years been kind to you so far. And you kind to yourselves. Just wanted to check in with you to see how you're all going.

On fox footy yesterday was an episode of Open Mike featuring Scott Cummings. I only saw the last 5 minutes but was engrossed as Scott was talking about mental health issues and some personal struggles involving both himself and his counterparts. It really hit home as I have a close friend going through the same thing, one you wouldn't pick. This illness obviously affects everyone, and can sneak up on you or strike at any given moment. For those that don't know Scott Cummings he's a former Essendon and West Coast Eagles player from the 1990's, and a terrific fellow. He's also worked with Wayne Schwass, another player who's had many well known battles with the illness and has been a spokesperson about it.

After watching that I went to Youtube to see if I could watch the episode in full. I couldn't see that particular ep, but came across another one involving Brian Lake which was put up late September 2019. I was curious to watch that as I was a fan of Lake and remember his exploits in the 2015 Grand Final where he held the Eagles Josh Kenneddy goalless, a massive success story after crossing from the Western Bulldogs and now capturing a Premiership Flag. I never recalled him being interviewed by Mike Sheehan which further enhanced my excitement. After watching it I was shocked. I do recall his issues getting locked up in a Japanese Jail and having some troubles with his ex, but seeing him break down on numerous occasions left me absolutely gob smacked. I felt for the man deeply.

Very confronting. I admire Brian Lake's courage for coming forward and speaking about his demons, especially on National Television.

Anyway all don't be afraid to post here or pm me for a chat. Life is full of challenges and obstacles and pain is unavoidable as Brian Lake mentions in the video above.

Good luck to all!

Stay strong fellas, ladies.

My friend has severe mood swings where they feel great one minute then all of a sudden bang, they plummet. That's part of the illness and is inevitable. You can't go through life avoiding pain. Try to remember the great feelings you have and experienced, as well as the great mind set and know you will feel that again. It does go both ways and the lows will come, but they won't last. ebbs and flows are apart of life, you won't be down forever.

Keep strong all and god bless!

Hey guys. I hope you're doing well and if you're not your situation and mood changes asap.

My friend who I mentioned recently is doing better due to a few factors. With the illness being what it is I know they will have many more dips again and will endure some hard times. That's the way it is unfortunately. What I'm going to say to that person is what I'm going to say to you. Remember the good feelings you have had and good state of mind. That can be obtained yet again.

Anyway wishing you guys all the best and hopefully you have a trusted, positive confidant at hand so you don't have to keep everything in.

Good luck to all and speak soon.

Hey guys. I hope you're doing well and if you're not your situation and mood changes asap.

My friend who I mentioned recently is doing better due to a few factors. With the illness being what it is I know they will have many more dips again and will endure some hard times. That's the way it is unfortunately. What I'm going to say to that person is what I'm going to say to you. Remember the good feelings you have had and good state of mind. That can be obtained yet again.

Anyway wishing you guys all the best and hopefully you have a trusted, positive confidant at hand so you don't have to keep everything in.

Good luck to all and speak soon.

Absolute legend! 👍

I lost my sister a few years back and had some challenging times. I can’t put anything as eloquently as this top bloke but you are not alone. Please message me if you need to vent or an ear. Take care

first post here and I have to say it warms my heart reading some of the messages here from posters. Ill share my story in the hopes that even just 1 person may positively benefit from it. Never give up hope, there is always light.
About 18 months ago my life completely changed, i had a near-death experience in an overseas country. Had a very serious accident that left me with a badly broken pelvis, along with multiple head fractures. Being unable to move a muscle for the first week I developed bed sores and soon after an infection where i wasn't sure if I would come back home alive. Took me about 4 weeks until I could go to the toilet on my own again and another couple of months before I could walk. The Doctors said I could expect nerve damage and potentially have a colostomy. I thank God that wasn't the case and the only permanent injuries I now have is some lost flexibility in one leg and permanent tinnitus. After making a full recovery, I was in a bad head space for a good 6 months afterwards. As soon as I put myself in my parents position with the whole situation I just felt like complete s**t. Started not seeing my friends as often, skipping uni classes, and the times I did go out I would just get really anxious, especially around large crowds like a club/bar. Fast-forward now and I feel like im in a much better head space, don't really get any depressive thoughts as such, but I still get anxiety that I try to disguise. Currently reading 'The Art of Happiness' & I cant recommend it highly enough. Very good read that just had me thinking in a positive perspective and whenever I do get negative thoughts I think back to the principles discussed in this book and it really does help me.
The only other message I can say is just to show compassion to others. Doing good things makes you feel good. Look after your family and friends and appreciate the imperfections of nature.

Absolute legend! 👍

I lost my sister a few years back and had some challenging times. I can’t put anything as eloquently as this top bloke but you are not alone. Please message me if you need to vent or an ear. Take care
Thanks a lot mate. I appreciate it.

first post here and I have to say it warms my heart reading some of the messages here from posters. Ill share my story in the hopes that even just 1 person may positively benefit from it. Never give up hope, there is always light.
About 18 months ago my life completely changed, i had a near-death experience in an overseas country. Had a very serious accident that left me with a badly broken pelvis, along with multiple head fractures. Being unable to move a muscle for the first week I developed bed sores and soon after an infection where i wasn't sure if I would come back home alive. Took me about 4 weeks until I could go to the toilet on my own again and another couple of months before I could walk. The Doctors said I could expect nerve damage and potentially have a colostomy. I thank God that wasn't the case and the only permanent injuries I now have is some lost flexibility in one leg and permanent tinnitus. After making a full recovery, I was in a bad head space for a good 6 months afterwards. As soon as I put myself in my parents position with the whole situation I just felt like complete s**t. Started not seeing my friends as often, skipping uni classes, and the times I did go out I would just get really anxious, especially around large crowds like a club/bar. Fast-forward now and I feel like im in a much better head space, don't really get any depressive thoughts as such, but I still get anxiety that I try to disguise. Currently reading 'The Art of Happiness' & I cant recommend it highly enough. Very good read that just had me thinking in a positive perspective and whenever I do get negative thoughts I think back to the principles discussed in this book and it really does help me.
The only other message I can say is just to show compassion to others. Doing good things makes you feel good. Look after your family and friends and appreciate the imperfections of nature.
*en hell man. I feel for you. I'm glad you're in a better head space now and thanks for sharing that story. You've been through hell.

As with the anxiety, acknowledging to yourself when you're out that it's bad gives it less power from what I've heard. For some people anyway, of course sometimes it's too overwhelming.

Thanks again mate.

Hope you all are still persisting with the illness if you got it. My friend I told you about is doing much better because of a few factors. And often it's a few that are needed just to cope or feel better. A combination of medicine, exercise, a well balanced life style and talking among people.

God bless guys stick at it. PM me if you need to chat.

Hi,

over the past 3 months I have been to hell and back.

4 to 6 months ago, my place of employment got a new manager and she just went ape s**t by rearranging most teams and portfolios. August 10th she sent me an e mail and informed me I was getting the sack. I was given 7 days to get my stuff and then leave. Don’t come Monday. This basically lead to me having high anxiety and depression.

after reading the e mail, I went and spoke to a few others in the building to seek some advice. I was pissed off. I had good performance review and was a good employee. Didn’t really understand why I had lost my job. So after having a few conversations, I decided to go and see her (bad mistake) and try and confront her why she had sacked me. I was angry, I was as mad as hell and long story short, she kicked me out. I had a breakdown and lost the plot.

A colleague told me to go to see my doctor and get a mental health plan. So that night I went and saw my GP and his put me on an anti depressant medication called “Avanza” or mirtazapbe. That stuff seriously messed me up.

i have liver, kidney and diabetes as it is.? After being on avanza since August, my kidneys have shut up, my liver is giving me massage pains in the stomach and by BSL is well about 28. I’m sitting at the doctors now to demand he takes me off that s**t.

my post isn’t about losing my job or the plot, it’s about going on an antidepressant medication called Avanza. If your GP said so, say no and totally investigate the side effects and how it will react to your body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey everyone,

I don't like baring my soul to strangers on the internet, but I feel like this is the best place to answer this question so I'll keep it short and unemotional.

I've had a shocker of a week. One of those ones where you start letting your responsibilities slip if that makes sense. Where even walking to the kitchen for water feels like an insurmountable challenge. I know eventually i will level out and hit my "normal" but this week has been particularly draining and hard to see through.

So my question is, what do you all do to quickly snap out of it. Or shove it down so you can carry on like a human being. I've gone through this pretty regularly since I was about 12, but every week like this that passes feels harder and seems to last longer. Normally I just let it pass as I know it's irrational and blah blah blah, but I'm just really struggling with that spryness of the mind where I used to be able to bounce back.

Not particularly short apologies.

TL; DR - how do you snap out of it, if even only briefly.

Still getting used to talking about s**t.

You have done really well reaching out here. Takes a lot to be honest. Be proud of yourself.

I had plenty of weeks like you describe. I really had to push myself getting into work, Doing housework, into the gym, eating healthy and going for walks with the missus and Son. It is incredibly difficult at times to push yourself especially at the beginning but it does get easier.
Found cutting out booze to be the best thing I have done during this time. I even had a few Sat and woke up Sun/Mon feeling really depressed. Will probably stay sober for quite sometime now.

You are more than welcome to message me if you want to chat. Happy to lend an ear. You’ve done really well opening up and are not alone

You have done really well reaching out here. Takes a lot to be honest. Be proud of yourself.

I had plenty of weeks like you describe. I really had to push myself getting into work, Doing housework, into the gym, eating healthy and going for walks with the missus and Son. It is incredibly difficult at times to push yourself especially at the beginning but it does get easier.
Found cutting out booze to be the best thing I have done during this time. I even had a few Sat and woke up Sun/Mon feeling really depressed. Will probably stay sober for quite sometime now.

You are more than welcome to message me if you want to chat. Happy to lend an ear. You’ve done really well opening up and are not alone
Thanks mate I really appreciate it.

I knew all that, and I don't mean that like its useless advice. It's great advice, I think I just needed to hear it to reinforce it in my own mind if that makes any sense.

I tend to walk my dogs every night at about 1am for about a couple of hours due to not being able to sleep, and I've never felt shitty on a walk, so what you're saying makes perfect sense. I think trying to correct my eating or lack thereof is probably in order. Might give up booze for a while too, see how that goes. I might have a drink or two to try and sleep, and always wake up worse for it, it's just hard to snap out of those bad habits sometimes.

I think most of us here probably know we aren't alone, but when you're trying to hide it from the people you're close to it can feel pretty isolating. A self imposed isolation, but u enjoyable none the less.

I think I just need to give myself a figurative slap across the face sometimes and act on the things I know works. Your reply was an appropriate mind slap so cheers mate. Sort of reminded me that I'm still in control regardless of what I'm whining about at the time haha.

Thanks mate I really appreciate it.

I knew all that, and I don't mean that like its useless advice. It's great advice, I think I just needed to hear it to reinforce it in my own mind if that makes any sense.

I tend to walk my dogs every night at about 1am for about a couple of hours due to not being able to sleep, and I've never felt shitty on a walk, so what you're saying makes perfect sense. I think trying to correct my eating or lack thereof is probably in order. Might give up booze for a while too, see how that goes. I might have a drink or two to try and sleep, and always wake up worse for it, it's just hard to snap out of those bad habits sometimes.

I think most of us here probably know we aren't alone, but when you're trying to hide it from the people you're close to it can feel pretty isolating. A self imposed isolation, but u enjoyable none the less.

I think I just need to give myself a figurative slap across the face sometimes and act on the things I know works. Your reply was an appropriate mind slap so cheers mate. Sort of reminded me that I'm still in control regardless of what I'm whining about at the time haha.

You know what, telling people the first time is the hardest thing. Admitting you have a problem is ******* hard. I've dealt with bad anxiety and depression for 10 years internally up until a month ago when I knew this time it was worse than before and that I may not come out of it. Having 3-4 ok days in a 4 month period left me with nothing left emotionally. I was the same as you the last few months, simple tasks become mountainous and I found that I was often frozen and unable to function normally. I was able to mask it really well in social situations like daily work but shutdown completely when at home.

I told my folks on the weekend that i've got depression and anxiety problems, that i've had to seek professional help for it and I have to say it was a mighty weight lifted off the shoulders. Maybe instead of hiding the issue you need to be open about it? It might help set your mind free.

Like you i've found walking the dog really helps. I try and go down the beach each morning/night.

You know what, telling people the first time is the hardest thing. Admitting you have a problem is ******* hard. I've dealt with bad anxiety and depression for 10 years internally up until a month ago when I knew this time it was worse than before and that I may not come out of it. Having 3-4 ok days in a 4 month period left me with nothing left emotionally. I was the same as you the last few months, simple tasks become mountainous and I found that I was often frozen and unable to function normally. I was able to mask it really well in social situations like daily work but shutdown completely when at home.

I told my folks on the weekend that i've got depression and anxiety problems, that i've had to seek professional help for it and I have to say it was a mighty weight lifted off the shoulders. Maybe instead of hiding the issue you need to be open about it? It might help set your mind free.

Like you i've found walking the dog really helps. I try and go down the beach each morning/night.
Sorry to hear that mate. I'm not all that good at "consoling talk" I'm afraid haha. I get it though. Only having a few days of respite per months long blocks is so draining physically and emotionally it leaves you completely empty. Frozen is a great word to describe how it feels.

I felt a little silly after posting my initial post, because as soon as I posted it I felt slightly better, much like you described, like a weight was lifted. A portion, but enough that it is evidence to me that talking about it will probably do more good than harm.

I don't have any family so my friends are my family, I would like to be able to talk to them about this, I just can't get past the hurdle of knowing that a couple of them are suffering also and are pretty open about it. I don't want to be that guy that just piles onto people. I don't want them to even have to consider that I might have a case of the boohoos our whatever when they are struggling themselves. I know they'd be happy to help, I just can't bring myself to do it. I think that's part of the reason I'm still in this thread replying, the anonymity here sort of allows me to unload a little without the pressure of having my name attached to it. And you guys are a good group.

If it's not too personal and believe me I understand if it is, but what was your folks reaction to you telling them that?

Yeah getting down to the beach with the hounds is great. A little adventure separate from everything with your best mates. Just a nice escape. It'd be nice if you could just keep walking with them endlessly and live in that moment of peace. There should just be dogs and puppies stationed everywhere, that'd go a long way to cheering people up I reckon.

I look at what I've written here and previously and I just think "Jesus dude get a grip" but the fact I have written as much as I have when normally I'd be horrified to even allude to any of this shows me that you are all right. Talking about it helps.

It's something you hear all the time, talk about it, talk about it. It sounds stupid to me, but they aren't wrong. Baby steps.

Sorry to hear that mate. I'm not all that good at "consoling talk" I'm afraid haha. I get it though. Only having a few days of respite per months long blocks is so draining physically and emotionally it leaves you completely empty. Frozen is a great word to describe how it feels.

I felt a little silly after posting my initial post, because as soon as I posted it I felt slightly better, much like you described, like a weight was lifted. A portion, but enough that it is evidence to me that talking about it will probably do more good than harm.

I don't have any family so my friends are my family, I would like to be able to talk to them about this, I just can't get past the hurdle of knowing that a couple of them are suffering also and are pretty open about it. I don't want to be that guy that just piles onto people. I don't want them to even have to consider that I might have a case of the boohoos our whatever when they are struggling themselves. I know they'd be happy to help, I just can't bring myself to do it. I think that's part of the reason I'm still in this thread replying, the anonymity here sort of allows me to unload a little without the pressure of having my name attached to it. And you guys are a good group.

If it's not too personal and believe me I understand if it is, but what was your folks reaction to you telling them that?

Yeah getting down to the beach with the hounds is great. A little adventure separate from everything with your best mates. Just a nice escape. It'd be nice if you could just keep walking with them endlessly and live in that moment of peace. There should just be dogs and puppies stationed everywhere, that'd go a long way to cheering people up I reckon.

I look at what I've written here and previously and I just think "Jesus dude get a grip" but the fact I have written as much as I have when normally I'd be horrified to even allude to any of this shows me that you are all right. Talking about it helps.

It's something you hear all the time, talk about it, talk about it. It sounds stupid to me, but they aren't wrong. Baby steps.

I was stuck in that zone of 'I don't want to b an emotional burden on anyone' for years so I kept it all to myself, my wife knew a little but never the extent of how bad it got. I wish I had said something sooner, then I wouldn't feel like i've cooked myself lol.

My folks were good. Supportive, said they knew something wasn't right but didn't want to pry, anything I need let them know etc.

At a loose end now a days. Enjoy my job but sick of the bullshit tired of my living arrangements but not sure where to locate and doubting my ability to even hold a job which would enable me to move. Would love the beach. Never been the type to get lonely as I'm very stubborn and need my own time but @ my age starting to feel it. It would be nice to meet someone but I'm honestly too stressed atm and screwed up in general. Thx for the rant

At a loose end now a days. Enjoy my job but sick of the bullshit tired of my living arrangements but not sure where to locate and doubting my ability to even hold a job which would enable me to move. Would love the beach. Never been the type to get lonely as I'm very stubborn and need my own time but @ my age starting to feel it. It would be nice to meet someone but I'm honestly too stressed atm and screwed up in general. Thx for the rant
sorry mate I only just saw this. I would have replied earlier.

can you inbox me so we can chat? or just post here it's up to you. Id like to know more about your situation etc.

geez sorry all as I was away for a couple of weeks i missed some posts of yours. Sorry for hearing about your troubles. The thing is guys that in life everyone and I do mean everyone as their ups and downs and issues overcoming adversity. Everyone has issues to some degree period. No one is immune to negative thoughts or hard moments, facing obstacles in life. We're all human and not robots. The more you try to supress s**t, the more it builds, the deeper and stronger the issues grow and become.

Don't try to be someone/something you are not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back